Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas-themed Cake at California Grill

Date Received: 12/13/09

Cake info: Chocolate cake with chocolate chips and chocolate mousse filling

Price: $100

How I Got Inspiration for the Cake: The cake was a surprise for friends whose anniversary is Christmas Eve, so I went on www.flickr.com and searched for "Christmas cake" and then, after being completely overwhelmed by the number of images, narrowed it down to "penguin Christmas cake." I created a file of photos of cakes I liked and then had my husband create a photo composite using the elements I wanted from each cake.

I highly recommend using Flickr if you're stuck on ideas for a cake, since Disney doesn't offer any standard selection of cakes or website of photos to use as inspiration. :thumbsup2

How I Ordered It: I called the Contemporary and asked to speak with Private Dining. I told the CM that I wanted a customized fondant cake, and she gave me the email address of Pastry Chef Brian. I emailed him the size, flavors, and a description of the cake I wanted, plus the photo composite of the way I wanted the cake to look.

The results were amazing - he got everything exactly as I wanted it and exactly as it appeared in the picture. I was worried that the penguins would be hard to match because the ones in the picture I sent were so stylized, but he did a fabulous job.

The trade-off with these elaborate Disney cakes is taste. It wasn't a bad cake, and it certainly wasn't dry - with all that mousse and the chocolate chips, it was very moist. It just wasn't very flavorful, in my opinion. However, the guests of honor liked it, and that's what counts! :teeth:

CA_Grill_09.jpg

CA_Grill_11.jpg

CA_Grill_14.jpg

CA_Grill_12.jpg

CA_Grill_07.jpg

CA_Grill_20.jpg

CA_Grill_19.jpg

CA_Grill_21.jpg

Just to compare, here's the photo composite we sent them using images from Flickr.com:

HaywardCakeDec13.jpg

I almost couldn't bear to let them cut it...

CA_Grill_23.jpg

CA_Grill_24.jpg

CA_Grill_29.jpg

Afterward, they boxed up the leftovers:

CA_Grill_28.jpg

I don't remember if I posted this, but when I went to AKV with my cousins (all first timers on a DVC visit....adults only, girl trip, no kids no DH'S!!) :goodvibes I ordered a little cake (this is 6 inches, white cake, chocolate buttercream, done by Jiko), and had it delivered to our villa while we were at dinner, as a surprise for my guests. It was very good, but I think expensive for such a small cake. $80.00

ry%3D400

Hello Everyone,
Sorry to have taken so long to give you all this information.
Here's the stats:
Cake order for 12/27/09 My daughter's big mother/daughter birthday tea celebration at the Garden View tea room at the GF
Yellow cake with white buttercream, purple fondant, peanut butter mouse filling
10"
Price I think was $90 plus tax and tip

I originally spoke with Pat for this order and asked for peanut butter cup mouse filling which she then told me was not available for the non-wedding cakes and so we said we would do vanilla buttercream filling. Then when the cake arrived it had peanut butter mouse filling which was fine with us. She absolutely loved it! It was the highlight of the trip for her and pretty much for me too. I asked Pat to make a cake with Duchess and Marie (for the mother/daughter theme) and incorporate piano in some way cause my daughter plays the piano so she put the piano keys around the bottom which was very cute. The cake tasted pretty good but I have to say that Wegmans makes an overall better tasting cake. My big mistake was getting it too big. It was huge. We only managed to eat maybe half and gave the rest to housekeeping in the WLV but they seemed really happy to get it. We brought the entire cake back to our room after our tea so that we could share it with the rest of the family (Robyn has 3 brothers, hence the need for many mother/daughter outings). All in all it was a great experience and I think Robyn will remember her 11th birthday for a very long time to come. Thanks so much to Pat and her staff.
Tracy
aka pollypeanut

P1000227.jpg

P1000233.jpg

P1000230.jpg

P1000231.jpg

We had an AWESOME cake at the California Grill on January 12th to celebrate my daughter's second birthday.

disney178.jpg

Isn't it gorgeous?

disney179.jpg

We had them cut it for us. I just didn't have the heart.

disney181.jpg

I have read that Brian is responsible for all of the cakes at the Contemporary- and if you did ours, Brian, I want to thank you so much! It was the perfect ending to an absolutely perfect dinner! The "icing on the cake" if you will.

Okay, okay... I'll post a picture of the happy birthday girl with her cake. Only 'cause you're twisting my arm. :rolleyes1

disney180.jpg

Here are pictures of the Christmas cake that I had delivered to our room at the Wilderness Lodge. It was gorgeous..THANKS BRIAN!!!!!!:thumbsup2

WDWDecember20096482.jpg

WDWDecember20096483.jpg

WDWDecember20096460.jpg

WDWDecember20096480.jpg

WDWDecember20096476.jpg

WDWDecember20096471.jpg

Here's the mini cake I ordered for our dinner at Narcoossee's in July 09. This was my graduation trip (Graduate/Master's Degree) and we were celebrating. I wanted the cake in pink and green - my sorority's colors - but it was all pink. Nevertheless, it was yummy and creamy!

088.jpg

This is the cake I ordered and had delivered to the Grand Floridian Cafe in December. I asked them to "boy it up" a little for me, and told them that DS's favorite colors were green & yellow, and this is what they did. It was $30.
16964_244239912583_589542583_3347958_5969435_n.jpg

16964_244239922583_589542583_3347959_4875732_n.jpg

We will be staying at AKL in June for DS's graduation, any ideas of a tasty surprise I could have delivered to the room for him?

Here's my DW birthday cake that we enjoyed at the wave last Monday. Chef Brian did an outstanding job. My wife was wowed.

ry%3D480

Here's the cake I ordered for my DD10th b-day on Nov. 1st. It was from the GF and we had it at 1900 Park Fare for dinner. Cake details:

Price: $100 plus tip
Size: 8 inches
Flavor: Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting
Filling: Supposed to have been vanilla buttercream but was choc. mousse :confused3
Decorations: Tinker Bell theme with a choc. statue, pink fondant and sugar flowers

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Overall, we were disappointed in this cake. While it looked beautiful, the taste was so blah and the filling was incorrect. It tasted like stale, chocolate cardboard and was very dry and crumbly. Out of the 7 of us in our group, nobody finished their slice. Honestly, the cake my DH bought me from Costco for my b-day tasted better!:laughing:

Hi everyone,

I emailed the Contemporary bakery on Sunday evening to inquire about the white chocolate monorails and characters to have delivered to our room at BLT. Jessi sent me the following two pictures to show what they look like:

Handpainted Characters:
kccf9u.jpg

White Chocolate Monorail:
2qt8uuf.jpg

I think we are going to go with the monorail.

Thanks Susie! That price sounds fantastic, although I'm sure it's gone up since then lol. I saw one made in Sept I think with a 2-d white chocolate disk and some stars etc shooting out and that was in the $50s... I want something even more plain than that, so fruit sounds great! I really just want something YUMMY, not too big (only 4 in our family), and not crazy expensive since I myself will probably eat most of it :rotfl: I am the big chocolate and cake lover in the family!

What bakery did you order from?

I just ordered it from Yachtsman Steakhouse (at the Yacht & Beach Club)...we had our anniversary dinner there and the wait staff brought it out as our dessert. It was chocolate cake, with chocolate mousse & chocolate ganache (as you can tell...I hate chocolate :rolleyes1 :rotfl:)
232323232%7Ffp53393%3Enu%3D324%3A%3E34%3A%3E945%3EWSNRCG%3D323838%3B9963%3A8nu0mrj

Question: I want to order a cake for my family while we are at AKV. We are actually staying in Kidani. Is it possible to do this? Last May we stayed at SSR and I was able to speak to someone there and they worked with me and the bakery to get what I wanted. They also had the cake delivered to SSR so I didnt have to pick it up. Can I do the same at AKV? If so, who do I ask for?

You can order from AKV and there are a few cakes on here that were pretty amazing. But I had one that was less than good so cake buyer beware. ;)

I asked for a Lion King or Animal Kingdom themed cake with 3D animal figures and specifically said that I did not want any cut-outs. This is what I got -
063.jpg

It was a 6" cake that was tasteless with standing up cut-outs and cost $80. If I ever get the wild hair to order a cake at a WDW resort again I will order from Publix and either go get it or have one of the grocery delivery companies deliver it.

Here is a picture of the Mad Hatter cake we had made at the CR and delivered to our room at the CR. The total cost with tax and delivery was $127. It had white butter cream icing under the fondant and chocolate cream icing as the filling. The cake was fantastic but way too much and there were 5 of us.

cake.jpg

I was looking at the posts today and came across someone asking if anyone knew if there was a toy story cake .I couldn't find a reply to her ? so I am asking the same,also Is anyone happy with the taste of the cakes? I know when I make a Cake from Scratch it has a very mild taste ,not at all like a box mix or store bought ,I think they add all the flavor to hide all the taste of the additives LOL Fondant rarely ever taste good! Is the buttercream bad also ? too sweet ,not sweet ? alot of them sure look pretty
:yay:

Here is the Toy Story Cake we had at 1900 Park Fare. It was a 10" marble with chocolate filling. Cost was $75.

DSC00684.jpg

In January, I ordered a birthday cake from the Epcot cake hotline for my daughter's 4th birthday to be delivered to the Rose & Crown. It was a personalized princess cake for $32. Chocolate with a buttercream layer.

Birthdaycake1.jpg

I also got her a chocolate slipper at CRT for $12.50.

Birthdayslipper.jpg

Both were quite yummy and enjoyed by all. My daughter was delighted with all the attention she received from the servers. I did a custom cake at 1900 Park Fare about a year ago and really, these were just as tasty, if not as cute.

$135
Feb 11th
Artist Point
Yellow cake with choc mouse filling, black fondant over choc buttercream

01AmazingRaceCake.jpg

02AmazingRaceCake.jpg

03AmazingRaceCake.jpg

We spent the day at Magic Kingdom playing the Amazing Race. The final pit-stop was dinner at Artist Point with the cake being the grand prize.

I emailed with Brian and couldn't be happier with the results!

The pictures of the attractions around the cake were actual clues to things we had done throughout the day. The envelope on top was just perfect! He also made it a "prize" with the confetti and such added.

Now to come up with a reason in June to order another cake :thumbsup2

I picked this up at Boardwalk Bakery 12/1/09. We loved it. Exactly what I asked for and they charged me $15 less than price quoted.
DSCF4806-1.jpg

DSCF4805-1.jpg

Here is the cake that Contemporary Bakery had made for me. I had described the order a few posts back. I talked to Jerry via the hotline, but they connected me to the CR bakery. When I was asking about the different options he was *supposedly* verifying things with the chef and cooks/bakers as he talked to me - I'd asked about making a 3d pirate Mickey like the Star Wars Mickey cake posted on this thread. I really expected more than I got, but the cake was delicious. The cut outs are not that great IMO, and the seashells are barely visible.

4376110849_9d4e85dae7.jpg

22160_356242780766_728605766_5379127_3016853_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter