Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want people to know that if you are unhappy with the cake you get let someone know. The chefs & pastry teams can't know that they are messing up unless people tell them. I had a pretty bad cake from AKV (pretty bad is being nice) and I spoke with the pastry chef the night we got it about the very poor decorating. I wasn't expecting anything to be done when I called but I was so ticked about the appearance of the cake that I thought they should know that it wasn't even a drugstore quality, in my opinion. He offered to take off the cost for the decorations which surprised me and I did appreciate. I'm not saying that if there is one tiny little thing wrong to call and complain but if the entire thing is wrong and not fit for your dog then let them know.

I love seeing the cakes that look like the teams put time and effort into them and hope that everyone that orders a WDW cake gets the cake that they want.

I don't have my pics uploaded yet but I wanted to post a few comments for right now. I ordered my cake at Chef Mickeys - it was awesome - taste wise! The vanilla cake was sweet and moist and I had requested custard filling without any fruit. The custard was also delicious, and even my brother who doesn't normally like custard commented on how wonderful it was. The buttercream icing was just so so in my opinion and my brother agreed (the rest of our party didn't say much about it.) It's very crisco-y tasting to us, and not as sweet as I like mine. When I'd talked to Jerry, I asked for boyish colors on a Pirate themed cake and I knew I'd be getting a 2d Mickey Pirate cut out, but I'd asked for a treasure chest and coins and lots of really cool boyish looking decorations. He asked if I had any colors in mind and I told him maybe some maroon and gold to make it really Pirate-y and sort of dark. I had talked to him a good bit about all of the crazy cakes I'd seen on the boards, mentioned the skull and chest on the other pirate cake and how this is what I'd had in mind for months. I told him I had around $100 to play with but could do more if need be. I was certain that the cake that would come out of that kitchen would be extra special for my boys. It was not so amazing in decor! The 2d mickey was the pirate, and the chest was 2d as well all in one cut out. There were plastic palm trees and about five gold wrapped coins, there were about an equal amount of fondant seashells. One side was blue water waves on top, the other was sugary sand. It had a common trim of piping in maroon and golden yellow icing with a birthday banner on front. The icing was all white. It was rather ordinary for $85 and seemed almost effortless.

If you are planning a cake and have been waiting for a long time to do so, please, please, please, be extra sure you have EVERYTHING in order and maybe even send photos. I've learned my lesson and will do so next time. The cake was great and the experience for the boys was wonderful so I'm not disappointed by that part of it, but it isn't what I expected. I'm posting this info here only so that whoever reads it can take away from my experience in hopes of getting closer to what they anticipate. I'll try to post pics this weekend tonight or tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the Mad Hatter cake we had made at the CR and delivered to our room at the CR. The total cost with tax and delivery was $127. It had white butter cream icing under the fondant and chocolate cream icing as the filling. The cake was fantastic but way too much and there were 5 of us.

cake.jpg

Love this!!! What size was this??

I plan to call the Grand Floridian Bakery to order a mad hatter cake in a couple weeks, but there is only 4 of us and we don't have a fridge which I'm worried about. I wonder if they can make a smaller version of the mad hatter cakes.

here is a picture of the mad hatter cake we had made at the cr and delivered to our room at the cr. The total cost with tax and delivery was $127. It had white butter cream icing under the fondant and chocolate cream icing as the filling. The cake was fantastic but way too much and there were 5 of us.

cake.jpg
love it!

Also Has anyone asked about what they base the cost off of? I mean how do you charge 100 dollars for a cake that looks like it was bought at a badd grocery store bakery and then you have that amazing splash mountain cake and only charge 130 dollars.

It doesn't add up to me!

Ok I think I have this figured out lol. Correct me if I am wrong. I want to order a birthday cake for dd14th birthday. We are having it at CRT dinner. Will they give me a list of what fillings/cake choices etc are available when I call? I call the cake hotline not CRT directly right? I would like something with fondant/special order. Do I have to design it myself or can I give them a budget and say I want a vanilla cake with whatever filling with fondant that has a certain theme eg; stitch? and they can do that?

Love this!!! What size was this??

I plan to call the Grand Floridian Bakery to order a mad hatter cake in a couple weeks, but there is only 4 of us and we don't have a fridge which I'm worried about. I wonder if they can make a smaller version of the mad hatter cakes.

I have no idea what size it is..I sent a picture of a cake that I wanted and told them to decorate it any way that they wanted. We had a fridge but it was too small for the cake so we left the cake in the room for 2 days and it didn't seem to hurt it.

My daughter really wants a Jessie from Toy Story cake (maybe bullseye on there, too) Anyone ever done anything like this?

She wants it for when we eat at WCC - she feels that is an appropriate themed place to eat her Jessie Bday cake:)
From what I read here, can't get that kind of cake at WL, needs to be from CR, is that right, and contact a Brian?
If so, anyone have a number to call to reach him at CR?

How big a cake do you think we need - 3 kids, 3 adults? 6 inch, 8 inch? Wouldn't mind a tiny bit leftover.
thanks!

My daughter really wants a Jessie from Toy Story cake (maybe bullseye on there, too) Anyone ever done anything like this?

She wants it for when we eat at WCC - she feels that is an appropriate themed place to eat her Jessie Bday cake:)
From what I read here, can't get that kind of cake at WL, needs to be from CR, is that right, and contact a Brian?
If so, anyone have a number to call to reach him at CR?

How big a cake do you think we need - 3 kids, 3 adults? 6 inch, 8 inch? Wouldn't mind a tiny bit leftover.
thanks!

Start with calling the cake hotline for WL. When you tell them what type of cake you are wanting if they can't make it there they will give you an email address to Brian. You then can work out all the cake details with Brian and he will have you call back WL to place the actual order and put a credit card on file for the cake.

I believe you will have to order 10" to get it customized.

Ok I think I have this figured out lol. Correct me if I am wrong. I want to order a birthday cake for dd14th birthday. We are having it at CRT dinner. Will they give me a list of what fillings/cake choices etc are available when I call? I call the cake hotline not CRT directly right? I would like something with fondant/special order. Do I have to design it myself or can I give them a budget and say I want a vanilla cake with whatever filling with fondant that has a certain theme eg; stitch? and they can do that?

Yes, you can call the Cake Hotline to hear the standard fillings and flavors. But if you want a fondant/special order cake, you will need to call Private Dining at the Contemporary and see if they will deliver a cake to CRT for you - the restaurant cannot do fancy cakes. You can either design it yourself or give the Contemporary bakery free reign with a theme.

thanks!

The Contemporary says an 8-inch is the smallest you can customize, although the Grand Floridian will do 6-inch cakes. For your group, you would not need anything as large as a 10-inch.

can you get a mad hatter cake in 8 inch? i am planning a mad hatter for our next trip and i know from past experience that the 10 inch is really big ;)(altho we did not let anything go to waste the last time). we will have one less person with us on the next trip.

has anyone asked about an 8 inch mad hatter?

thanks for the info!
Called WL and left a message, so now waiting back or will try again another day.
We had done an 8" at Park Fare last trip, and was a bit much for us (um, probably because we had just stuffed ourselves too much at dinner!) 6" would be better for us, but if they can do the 8" that will probably be better - and then we'll have some leftovers to save for later!

The Contemporary says an 8-inch is the smallest you can customize, although the Grand Floridian will do 6-inch cakes. For your group, you would not need anything as large as a 10-inch.

Interesting... I just ordered a custom cake for a B-day from the Contemporary and was told it would have to be 10". It's not a huge deal, but I would've preferred something smaller. Wonder why some are told they can have 8" while others 10". Any idea Carrie?

Well, called the hotline, got an email address so just sent off an email. Hoping they can do the 8" - 10 would be entirely too big for us. Hoping to hear back and that they can do something within my budget!

Interesting... I just ordered a custom cake for a B-day from the Contemporary and was told it would have to be 10". It's not a huge deal, but I would've preferred something smaller. Wonder why some are told they can have 8" while others 10". Any idea Carrie?

That is weird - our custom cake at the Contemporary in December was an 8-inch. Did you maybe mention the size of your group? Or perhaps the decorations you asked for require more surface area? Like, for a chocolate monorail or something?

I say call back and speak with the pastry chef! Although, you can never really have too much cake... :rotfl:

Oy! :headache: Typical Disney - ask five different CMs, get five different answers. In that case, I say just keep calling until you get someone who gives you the answer you want to hear! :lmao:

As for cakes at the Poly, they can't do much more than the standard buttercream-frosted chocolate or vanilla cake. If you want a really fancy one you will have to get it made by the the GF or CR and delivered. :thumbsup2

Yes, you can call the Cake Hotline to hear the standard fillings and flavors. But if you want a fondant/special order cake, you will need to call Private Dining at the Contemporary and see if they will deliver a cake to CRT for you - the restaurant cannot do fancy cakes. You can either design it yourself or give the Contemporary bakery free reign with a theme.
Thanks very much:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter