• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Breast Feeding Support Thread for WDW Parks

I know that but I also would have loved to have better support even if it was from someone online just offering suggestions or sharing info. Everyone can take my advice and info the way they want. That doesn't mean I shouldn't offer it what if it helps a mom and I didn't say something.

I was offering my support to her as well. I wanted her to know that supplementing does not *have* to kill her supply, as it was indicated. It takes a lot of determination and perseverance to establish and keep a supply with pumping (especially when you're also trying to get the baby to latch), but it *is* possible.

I was offering up my experience with supplementing/BFing/EPing as an example of how you can have a rough start with BFing, and yet still be able to establish a great supply even with pumping (as I've been able to do, since I've been EPing for a year). The best thing I did during that time was to rent the hospital grade pump for my home use. I doubt my supply would be as good as it has been without the hospital grade pump.

As for the comments about my personal experience, I will take that to PM as I don't want to take away from the thread.

I know that but I also would have loved to have better support even if it was from someone online just offering suggestions or sharing info. Everyone can take my advice and info the way they want. That doesn't mean I shouldn't offer it what if it helps a mom and I didn't say something.
Totally agree with you, there should be more support for BFing mothers. And as Angel Ariel stated, we're just offering alternatives. With my first, all the nurses and lactation consultants I spoke to recommended not supplementing. It added so much more stress to my life. By the time we had #2, I knew everything would work out at the end. Unfortunately it worked too well and at 15mon, DD still refuses to stop :)

Disney is a great place to NIP. Everyone is so busy having fun they don't even notice, and if they do, most people just keep on doing what they are doing.
;) in the 10+ years of going I can only remember seeing 1 other person NIP.

nalajms said:
Totally agree with you, there should be more support for BFing mothers. And as Angel Ariel stated, we're just offering alternatives. With my first, all the nurses and lactation consultants I spoke to recommended not supplementing. It added so much more stress to my life. By the time we had #2, I knew everything would work out at the end. Unfortunately it worked too well and at 15mon, DD still refuses to stop :)

;) in the 10+ years of going I can only remember seeing 1 other person NIP.

Yeah I had one or two of those. Lol I always thought 1 yr was cut off time but my DD had other plans. That's when I learned about extended breastfeeding from moms online. We went til 2 yrs and my youngest DD just weaned at 2.5 yrs cause I dried up from this pregnancy she still ask for milk. I might let her re latch after my milk comes back.

Why do you think you have a low supply?? Suplementing is going to cause issues and make your supply even lower and eventually gone.

Reasons why I think I have low supply:

1) Baby born at 7 lbs 3 oz. Lost and maintained a 10 percent weight loss at 7 and 14 day appointments, despite LOTS of nursing (like some days pretty much nursing all day). Baby only started gaining weight when I started supplementing.

2) Lactation Consultant things low milk supply. Latch is fine.

3) I have a baby scale and weigh her before and after some feedings. She usually only gets an ounce or a half ounce after a 30 minute or so feeding.

4) pump volumes are low. Pumping within 30-45 min of a feeding yields maybe a half ounce. I know pumping isn't completely indicative of supply, but when taken in stride with everything else....

I wish to God I didn't have low supply, I want to EBF sooooo badly. It's the best health wise for my baby, I was looking forward to the help with the weight loss, it's free, and it's convenient. My life is a feeding nightmare right now....every 3 hrs I am bf-ing for at least 30 minutes, then giving a bottle, then pumping. After that's all said and done (cleaning, diaper changes, all the feedings...) I'm lucky to have 60-75 minutes before I have to repeat it all again. It's exhausting.

I also disagree with the not supplementing approach. I supplemented formula with both my kids. No matter how much I pumped or tried the herbal stuff, my milk just doesn't fully come in until about 2 months! Before that, it just makes for a cranky, hungry baby, and a tired mom!

Thank you for the support and encouragement. It gives me hope that this problem could be resolved in the future. I'm not seeing much improvement with what I've tried so far. The only things I haven't tried is adding in a power pumping session every day and getting a prescription. I would love it if my milk came in at the 2 month mark...or sooner!

If I didn't supplement right now, my daughter would be starving. I didn't know what a full, milk-drunk baby looked like until I gave her a bottle after a feeding for the first time. She looked so full and content, it literally killed me that I had been starving her the two weeks prior, because I had never seen that before from EBF.

To BadgerGirl84 - trust me, I know how frustrating those early weeks can be when BFing isn't enough. Trust your mommy instinct - even though it's new, it will still serve you well!

Thank you for sharing your experience and your support. During my pregnancy, I knew to be wary of anyone pushing formula on me and my baby and that it was normal for babies to lose up to 10 percent of their birth weight after birth. However, when my baby was still down 10 percent at her two week appointment, despite nursing around the clock some days, I knew something had to change for her health.

My pedi is very pro-breastfeeding and would love to see me be able to stop the supplementing. But that said, I'm not going to stand by and watch my baby starve for the sake of being a breastfeeding martyr.

I sobbed at her doctors appointments where she was weighed, and also when I gave her that first bottle of formula. I felt like I failed as a mother. I know that's not true, but I do feel like I'm mourning the plan I had for feeding my daughter. Getting better day by day (not the supply issue, just me adjusting to the idea.)

Thank you for sharing your experience and your support. During my pregnancy, I knew to be wary of anyone pushing formula on me and my baby and that it was normal for babies to lose up to 10 percent of their birth weight after birth. However, when my baby was still down 10 percent at her two week appointment, despite nursing around the clock some days, I knew something had to change for her health.

My pedi is very pro-breastfeeding and would love to see me be able to stop the supplementing. But that said, I'm not going to stand by and watch my baby starve for the sake of being a breastfeeding martyr.

I sobbed at her doctors appointments where she was weighed, and also when I gave her that first bottle of formula. I felt like I failed as a mother. I know that's not true, but I do feel like I'm mourning the plan I had for feeding my daughter. Getting better day by day (not the supply issue, just me adjusting to the idea.)

I'm sorry it has been such a difficult experience for you :( I completely understand what you mean about how you felt when you gave her formula for the first time, and feeling like you failed as a mother - I struggled with that a LOT at the beginning. I think it's normal to mourn the fact that it's not going as you planned as well...at least I hope it is. I still have days where I mourn not having that nursing relationship.

I have some suggestions/advice on the pumping, but I don't want to make assumptions about what you are or aren't doing :) I'd be happy to share them with you in PM if you're interested, though. That goes for just needing to vent too :) I still have days where I want to chuck the pump out the window, so I'd understand if you need to vent any frustration ;)

Reasons why I think I have low supply:

1) Baby born at 7 lbs 3 oz. Lost and maintained a 10 percent weight loss at 7 and 14 day appointments, despite LOTS of nursing (like some days pretty much nursing all day). Baby only started gaining weight when I started supplementing.

2) Lactation Consultant things low milk supply. Latch is fine.

3) I have a baby scale and weigh her before and after some feedings. She usually only gets an ounce or a half ounce after a 30 minute or so feeding.

4) pump volumes are low. Pumping within 30-45 min of a feeding yields maybe a half ounce. I know pumping isn't completely indicative of supply, but when taken in stride with everything else....

I wish to God I didn't have low supply, I want to EBF sooooo badly. It's the best health wise for my baby, I was looking forward to the help with the weight loss, it's free, and it's convenient. My life is a feeding nightmare right now....every 3 hrs I am bf-ing for at least 30 minutes, then giving a bottle, then pumping. After that's all said and done (cleaning, diaper changes, all the feedings...) I'm lucky to have 60-75 minutes before I have to repeat it all again. It's exhausting.

How trust me I know the pumping issue that is just a big no no for me. I would dry up completely if I had to pump. My body doesnt react that way. I know you said you didnt try a prescription to up your supply but what about fungreek lactation cookies oatmeal. I know others say they have success with it. I didnt learn about til later which i had when i had to work and pump then i would have been able to nurse my babies. i ended up just giving up and given then formula.

Oh BadgerGirl, my heart aches for you. I've been where you are at and it's so hard.
My first baby was tongue & lip tied, but that wasn't diagnosed & corrected until she was a month old & by then, my milk was pretty much gone.
I did the nursing/formula feed/pumping/cleaning/crying thing every 2-3 hours around the clock and had the worst postpartum depression due to the stress, guilt & sleep deprivation. I saw 4 different LC's & finally the 4th one diagnosed the ties.
After 4 months of eeking out tiny amounts of breast milk, I stopped pumping & used donor breast milk from friends & formula. My daughter is now beautiful, healthy & so smart. No one ever asks me if she was FF or breast fed.

First rule, feed the baby.

With our second child, we saw an ENT & got her lip & tongue tie fixed & I started pumping the second day after she was born. She's now 14 months old & still nursing. The second time has been so easy. I feel so lucky.

Hang in there. It does get better. Big hugs mama. You are doing the best you can. Take care of yourself too.

We went through a similar thing with #1. For the first year, we were always worried when he got sick. We ended up in the ER a few times because he wouldn't eat as much and his weight would just plummet.

With #2, I started supplementing right away. I would BF then give her a bottle. She wouldn't always finish the bottle, but at least she wouldn't be hungry. I'd give her a feeding at 9pm, then my DH would take over until 1am. At that point, I'd bring her in bed and BF while lying on my side.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of comments on co-sleeping, but it was the best solution for us. It allowed me to sleep while she could feed every 1 to 2 hours. Even with the constant night feeding, it still took me almost 3 months to have enough milk so we didn't need to supplement.

Both my kids were born at the same weight. #2 shot up to 70 percentiles within a month. Stayed there for 3 months until we stopped supplementing, then settled around 50%. We don't worry as much when she gets sick and doesn't eat.

I want to note that when I said my milk came in, I was never one of those women who had a lot! I was not able to pump in excess to store in the freezer. Even when I tried adding pumping sessions at work or the herbal stuff, it didn't work. It was always just enough.

I also did not lose weight while BFing. With #1, I didn't lose weight until I stop. This was because my milk would decrease if I skipped meals, if I didn't sleep enough, or if I was stressed :(

Pumping worked well for me. If it works for you, consider taking a day off from BFing so you can relax. Pumping on a schedule is less stressful than trying to feed a baby on demand.

I wish you the best luck with the new baby. Don't feel that you have to BF 100% of the time. I feel that something is better than nothing. And your special bond with the baby will not just be from BFing. You're the mommy, the bond is there no matter what you feed her :goodvibes

nalajms said:
We went through a similar thing with #1. For the first year, we were always worried when he got sick. We ended up in the ER a few times because he wouldn't eat as much and his weight would just plummet.

With #2, I started supplementing right away. I would BF then give her a bottle. She wouldn't always finish the bottle, but at least she wouldn't be hungry. I'd give her a feeding at 9pm, then my DH would take over until 1am. At that point, I'd bring her in bed and BF while lying on my side.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of comments on co-sleeping, but it was the best solution for us. It allowed me to sleep while she could feed every 1 to 2 hours. Even with the constant night feeding, it still took me almost 3 months to have enough milk so we didn't need to supplement.

Both my kids were born at the same weight. #2 shot up to 70 percentiles within a month. Stayed there for 3 months until we stopped supplementing, then settled around 50%. We don't worry as much when she gets sick and doesn't eat.

I want to note that when I said my milk came in, I was never one of those women who had a lot! I was not able to pump in excess to store in the freezer. Even when I tried adding pumping sessions at work or the herbal stuff, it didn't work. It was always just enough.

I also did not lose weight while BFing. With #1, I didn't lose weight until I stop. This was because my milk would decrease if I skipped meals, if I didn't sleep enough, or if I was stressed :(

Pumping worked well for me. If it works for you, consider taking a day off from BFing so you can relax. Pumping on a schedule is less stressful than trying to feed a baby on demand.

I wish you the best luck with the new baby. Don't feel that you have to BF 100% of the time. I feel that something is better than nothing. And your special bond with the baby will not just be from BFing. You're the mommy, the bond is there no matter what you feed her :goodvibes

No comment here co sleeping is the best. You can sleep and nurse at the same time. Helps mommy get her rest too.

Kind of off topic but I had a question about feeding solids to my LO. She'll be 8 months by the time we go and I'm guessing will still be nursing 4x a day. We've been doing baby led weaning so she's not really eating purees unless you count applesauce. Do you bring baby food with you? Or does your LO eat off your plate? I can see this being easy at a sit down restaurant but at a counter service place I'm not so sure about what I would give her...

Kind of off topic but I had a question about feeding solids to my LO. She'll be 8 months by the time we go and I'm guessing will still be nursing 4x a day. We've been doing baby led weaning so she's not really eating purees unless you count applesauce. Do you bring baby food with you? Or does your LO eat off your plate? I can see this being easy at a sit down restaurant but at a counter service place I'm not so sure about what I would give her...

I bring the pouch baby food with me. It's easier to deal with and she can eat it without a spoon. We'll offer her some table food then finish with the pouch and milk. I bring my own puffs but will buy the cheerios when we get there. Another option is to pack baby cereal in a container with you to the parks. You'd only have to add water.

Fries are usually a good option. They will usually have pre-sliced apples or some kind of fruit. Both my kids favs are the fish and chips CS in England. And you can probably request scrambled eggs anytime of day at the larger CS.

I can see this being easy at a sit down restaurant but at a counter service place I'm not so sure about what I would give her...

For mine, it's more embarrassing when we do a nice sit down dinner. We went to Flying Fish in May. My DD was singing loudly, then started to yell when she saw something she wanted on our plate. Grandma ended up finishing before dessert and took the kids out. Even then, the floor around our table was a big mess! We got some looks from single couples.

The only thing that would have made it more embarrassing is if she decided she wanted to nurse right there and started pulling my shirt off :)

Character meals we don't care. It's loud enough there that no one will be bothered by crying or screaming babies.

My DD is 9 mos now and we started BLW at 6 mos. we only bring pouches for times when I don't feel like ordering something she can eat......but really now she can deal with just about any texture....including ribs! My DD has no teeth so thats not really a factor. She holds the pouch herself when she does eat them and just sucks it down without a spoon. As my only BLW baby she is the EASIEST to feed even more so than my picky 4 and 6 year old! They really do catch on fast when they learn to chew before they learn to swallow. We just got back from the beach and she ate off our plates, she also drinks out of a straw, the pouches taught her that I believe. If traveling for a long vacation I think I would bring my own organic whole milk yogurt and use my fridge in my hotel....just so that once a day she got more fat and protein, and the of course some fruit pouches......toddler snacks are already not her favorite since she chews so well she prefers Cheerios. I bet you will have a better idea about a week before your trip what you need to bring. DD eats a ton and still nurses 5+ times a day.

At fast food she usually gets apple slices, Cheerios out of the diaper bag, and maybe a few fries....but on a long vacation I would try not to order those a lot due to the salt. They also make hummus is single serve travel packs, I like to carry those if I feel like she needs some more food that's got more fat/ protein.

The first month of BLW u may feel like ur lo will never get it....and then one day they will just take off, and you will have funny stares from people she they see ur baby eating a drumstick or ribs....and lots of "how old is she?" HTH

I posted here back in December and want to thank everyone for their advice and help. :)

But now i'm hoping for some help in the weaning department. I pumped exclusively since DS was 3 months (is a little over 10 months now) and i'm done. I went as long as I possibly could - didn't think i'd make it to 6 months, much less 10- and I have a good supply in my freezer.

I went from 2 pumps a day for a week, to one pump a day for a couple days, then one pump every other day. Now I haven't pumped for about 5 days, and my breasts feel weird. Lumpy and kind of hurts. It doesn't feel the way I felt when I was engorged. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to alleviate this soreness or to make sure my milk is completely dry?

Thanks for any help!

Leshaface said:
I posted here back in December and want to thank everyone for their advice and help. :)

But now i'm hoping for some help in the weaning department. I pumped exclusively since DS was 3 months (is a little over 10 months now) and i'm done. I went as long as I possibly could - didn't think i'd make it to 6 months, much less 10- and I have a good supply in my freezer.

I went from 2 pumps a day for a week, to one pump a day for a couple days, then one pump every other day. Now I haven't pumped for about 5 days, and my breasts feel weird. Lumpy and kind of hurts. It doesn't feel the way I felt when I was engorged. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to alleviate this soreness or to make sure my milk is completely dry?

Thanks for any help!

I have heard cabbage leaves help to dry up the milk and gives some relief too. I used to take a nice hot shower and with the hot water running on my breast I would massage them.

Sounds like you have dried up but just have some milk that has hardened in some spots. I had that happen when I stopped nursing my one DD.

I'm tandem nursing currently - Aspen is 3 weeks, Levi will be 3 years in a few days. He's only nursing a few times per week at night before bed though, so no nursing in public at WDW, tons of it with my itty bitty though! We head down in November!

Whaaaaaaaat? I didn't know you were a DISer!!! When diaperswappers/Facebook and the DIS worlds collide. Haha When in November are you going? I hope that Judah, hubby and I can go for festival of the masters.

And to stay on topic I hope to be nursing a 4 month old at Disney in November. Lol.

I have heard cabbage leaves help to dry up the milk and gives some relief too. I used to take a nice hot shower and with the hot water running on my breast I would massage them.

Sounds like you have dried up but just have some milk that has hardened in some spots. I had that happen when I stopped nursing my one DD.

I had read about cabbage leaves too, so i'll pick up some today. My breasts were really hard and uncomfortable today, so I ended up pumping for five minutes on each side to relieve some of the pressure. Hopefully it didn't hurt the cause.

My DD is 9 mos now and we started BLW at 6 mos. we only bring pouches for times when I don't feel like ordering something she can eat......but really now she can deal with just about any texture....including ribs! My DD has no teeth so thats not really a factor. She holds the pouch herself when she does eat them and just sucks it down without a spoon. As my only BLW baby she is the EASIEST to feed even more so than my picky 4 and 6 year old! They really do catch on fast when they learn to chew before they learn to swallow. We just got back from the beach and she ate off our plates, she also drinks out of a straw, the pouches taught her that I believe. If traveling for a long vacation I think I would bring my own organic whole milk yogurt and use my fridge in my hotel....just so that once a day she got more fat and protein, and the of course some fruit pouches......toddler snacks are already not her favorite since she chews so well she prefers Cheerios. I bet you will have a better idea about a week before your trip what you need to bring. DD eats a ton and still nurses 5+ times a day.

At fast food she usually gets apple slices, Cheerios out of the diaper bag, and maybe a few fries....but on a long vacation I would try not to order those a lot due to the salt. They also make hummus is single serve travel packs, I like to carry those if I feel like she needs some more food that's got more fat/ protein.

The first month of BLW u may feel like ur lo will never get it....and then one day they will just take off, and you will have funny stares from people she they see ur baby eating a drumstick or ribs....and lots of "how old is she?" HTH

We have had the same experience at 11 months my kiddo eats everything. We just give her a portion of whatever we eat and she scarfs it down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter