Official Breast Feeding Support Thread for WDW Parks

I always carried my little ones in an ergo, but never figured out how to nurse in one! :confused3

I pull the collar of my shirt down and my breast over it to my little one. That's how I always nurse, carrier or not. Lifting my shirt up seems so weird to me. Probably because of all of my rolls. :rotfl:

I always carried my little ones in an ergo, but never figured out how to nurse in one! :confused3

Hope this might help someone, even if your little ones are past nursing in the ergo:

Last time we went to Disney my youngest was 3 months old. We nursed in the Ergo everywhere!! So convenient! I make sure that I'm wearing either a shirt with a neckline that can be opened/stretched down, or two shirts - a tank that can stretch down underneath and a shirt that can be lifted up. When it's time to nurse, I loosen the ergo straps so dd can slide down lower, adjust my shirt, and latch her. I snap up the hood to give her some privacy, or even drape a lightweight blanket/burp cloth over my shoulder. It took some practice, but now it's second nature. Check YouTube for some video demonstrations. :thumbsup2

I am a new mommy and so excited about this thread!! It gives me hope I can make it work at wdw! (and generally in public). We're still getting the hang of nursing with preemie challenges, but things are going relatively well with the help of an awesome LC

On our June trip, I fed my 11 month old in all kinds of places: in the corner outside the bathrooms behind Pinocchio Village Haus (there aren't many benches in Fantastyland), in the back of Turtle Talk, in the back of Disney Jr Live, on the Magic Kingdom train, on the Peoplemover. The strangest spot, though, was sitting on the ground in the hub during the Main Street Electrical Parade. I just couldn't make it through the crowd to the Baby Care Center. The Baby Care Centers are great though.

I am a new mommy and so excited about this thread!! It gives me hope I can make it work at wdw! (and generally in public). We're still getting the hang of nursing with preemie challenges, but things are going relatively well with the help of an awesome LC

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :thumbsup2 Just keep up that practice!

I'm not a nursing mama yet (a mother/baby RN though) but I just wanted to stop by and give y'all all kudos! Keep up the good work!!!

jkstewart1800 said:
YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :thumbsup2 Just keep up that practice!

Thank you! His due date is Sunday... 4 weeks old! Still not nursing at much as I'd like (I think it's a stamina issue for us both. But he's nursing... That's better than where we started ;)

I have to say I'm jealous of all of you that can just so easily pop out the ****ie and latch the baby on like it's nothing. I so wish I was one of you because I'd be whipping out the ****ie everywhere to show my support for breastfeeding and that I'm not afraid to take on a little heat from the anti breastfeeding in public weirdos.

This is my 3rd child I've nursed, she's 2 months old. I unfortunately have really awkward nipple placement in that my nipples aren't placed high up or perky. Instead they are hanging down almost pointing to the floor and instead of being in the center, they are situated more to the inside of my body. Hard to explain but basically the only semi comfortable position for us is at home with the boppy. I always have to have my one hand on my **** lifting/tilting the nipple up and pressing on my **** so it's not suffocating her :/ It looks awkward and uncomfortable when I'm feeding so I don't do it out in public. So I actually tend to not go out anywhere unless I can have access to my car and feed in there. Unfortunately that means we probably won't go too many places this summer like amusement parks and the beach, etc.

Anybody sympathize or is it just me with the weird nipples LOL

Alice in Maryland, have you tried propping yourself up with a rolled up burp cloth or receiving blanket? It's not as comfortable as a Boppy, but it can work well when out in public. You probably will need a good nursing cover. You can order ones from Etsy that are bigger than the ones you buy at stores.

I pull the collar of my shirt down and my breast over it to my little one. That's how I always nurse, carrier or not. Lifting my shirt up seems so weird to me. Probably because of all of my rolls. :rotfl:

I totally understand the rolls! :lmao: It took me 3 kids to finally try a tank top under my shirt for nursing. I know you can get a nursing tank, but I just use a tank top that was really streatchy and would pull my breast out the top to nurse. That way I could left my shirt and nurse with out a cover up, but the tank top under my shirt would cover my "rolls"!

I have to say I'm jealous of all of you that can just so easily pop out the ****ie and latch the baby on like it's nothing. I so wish I was one of you because I'd be whipping out the ****ie everywhere to show my support for breastfeeding and that I'm not afraid to take on a little heat from the anti breastfeeding in public weirdos.

This is my 3rd child I've nursed, she's 2 months old. I unfortunately have really awkward nipple placement in that my nipples aren't placed high up or perky. Instead they are hanging down almost pointing to the floor and instead of being in the center, they are situated more to the inside of my body. Hard to explain but basically the only semi comfortable position for us is at home with the boppy. I always have to have my one hand on my **** lifting/tilting the nipple up and pressing on my **** so it's not suffocating her :/ It looks awkward and uncomfortable when I'm feeding so I don't do it out in public. So I actually tend to not go out anywhere unless I can have access to my car and feed in there. Unfortunately that means we probably won't go too many places this summer like amusement parks and the beach, etc.

Anybody sympathize or is it just me with the weird nipples LOL

With this being your 3rd baby I am sure you have, but I just wanted to ask - Have you seen a Lactation Consultant about this? If not, maybe they could show you different holds. The "foot ball" hold sounds like it might work better for you than the tradition nursing baby hold. Again I am sure you have tried everything and I am not trying to sound like a know it all. :goodvibes

Sorry it's not easy for you, but keep up the great work!

I've never used a nursing cover and never once went to a bathroom or baby center or even car (unless I was already in the car already). I also used the tank top under a looser shirt kind of thing, and I never once got a comment. We would even nurse on the go, while standing in line, etc., and no one ever really cottoned on. But we also had a rule that public nursing is all about business. Even at home I wasn't really about the lengthy games of latch on, pull off, etc. that a bored baby can do. Just not the patient type, I guess. Babes can nurse at will, and immediately, but as soon as she starts the distracted or playing around routine, I assume she's not hungry/needing comfort that badly, so the breast goes away.

Nursing was much less embarrassing than accidentally leaking through the shirt. I was never a fan of nursing pads because I hate when they wrinkle up and show through the shirt, or rub against the nipples. So usually I go without... but I always need a change of shirt with me just in case I leak. Ick. :rolleyes:

ETA: While I always feel slightly sorry for moms who are clearly stressed out at nursing in public, have a million and twelve nursing covers and look embarrassed or have a fussy baby, I always try to give an encouraging smile and/or try to ask if they mind if I sit down near them to nurse as well. I wish it was more of a non-issue - moms have a million things to worry about, worrying about manners about feeding their kid shouldn't be one of them!! Shame on anyone for making them feel bad about a natural thing. (FWIW I'm not a breastfeeding Nazi either, I don't care if you FF or BF but for goodness sakes don't feel bad about either one.)

AliceinMaryland - I can completely sympathize with the positioning issues. I am rather large chested and that makes nursing pretty complicated. I have only really "mastered" the football hold, which is a tricky hold in chairs and such. I often just sit down on the floor to nurse him. He is 5 months old and we are just now figuring out the cradle hold. At first, my mom and sisters thought the football hold was strange but it is so much easier for us. It is most comfortable with a boppy, but it isn't necessary.

I hope I can make it work to nurse in an Ergo. I've tried my ring sling, but can't get that down yet. I have to lower him too far and pull myself up too high. It is very awkward.

AliceinMaryland - I can completely sympathize with the positioning issues. I am rather large chested and that makes nursing pretty complicated. I have only really "mastered" the football hold, which is a tricky hold in chairs and such. I often just sit down on the floor to nurse him. He is 5 months old and we are just now figuring out the cradle hold. At first, my mom and sisters thought the football hold was strange but it is so much easier for us. It is most comfortable with a boppy, but it isn't necessary.

I hope I can make it work to nurse in an Ergo. I've tried my ring sling, but can't get that down yet. I have to lower him too far and pull myself up too high. It is very awkward.

Depending on how big you are, you may not have enough strap length with the ergo. I have friends who can nurse fine in it. My larger size and larger chest size make it so there isn't enough strap on an ergo for baby to nurse. I have learned how to nurse in a kinderpack or a bamberoo as their straps are longer.

I nursed in the Ergo, but had MUCH better success with something with longer straps! I'm nursing my 2yr old in our toddler kinderpack with ease now!

Alice in Maryland, have you tried propping yourself up with a rolled up burp cloth or receiving blanket? It's not as comfortable as a Boppy, but it can work well when out in public. You probably will need a good nursing cover. You can order ones from Etsy that are bigger than the ones you buy at stores.

No I never even thought of that! I'll give it a try when she wakes me up in the morning. I did go over to ebay, right after I posted here the other day, and bid on a bebe au lait cover since I saw some of you recommending them. I can't wait for that to come cause the cover I have now is a cheapy Infantino one and is like a kids painting smock LOL It's a doodoo brown color. I will be happy to get rid of it. Where the bebe au lait has a strap around the neck, the one I have is basically a collar and it makes it very hot.

Hipporina-I love football hold. Def the easiest way for me, but that's only at home. How do you do football out in public with nothing to lay their body on beside you?

So happy to find this thread! I nursed my 7 year old until he self-weaned at 18 months. I went back to work when he was 12 weeks old and I pumped during the day and nursed evenings/weekends. It was a long haul but totally worth it! Some of my favorite tools for that were my Medela PISA backpack and Lanisinoh milk storage bags. I'll be happy to answer any questions about pumping at work and storing milk.

I have a 10 month old who will be turning 1 at Disney! She is nursing exclusively (I am able to stay at home with this baby so I only pump for nights out) with some solids just introduced regularly this month. I am concerned about nursing her at Disney. I read all 60+ pages in two days - what great advice! I do have some questions/issues I was hoping to get some expert Disney NIP advice regarding!

1. I haven't been able to do a lot of baby wearing - my kids are little heaters and even wind up sweating with cuddle time in the rocking chair. My DH is the same way. You can get near any of them and feel the heat coming off of them. The flip side is that they all have great metabolism! ;) I did buy an Ergo and my daughter does fine in it for short periods. I plan on bringing it to Disney for rides (another question) and to try and nurse. Any Ergo nursing tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. Can I take her on rides in the Ergo? Any ride suggestions or hints on this also greatly appreciated!

3. I have a very big bust - DDD normally and up to a J/K when engorged. I am worried about how to handle the peep show so to speak. At home I never cover up and my daughter hates the nursing cover and blankets. My issue is that she is a very active baby who LOVEs to pull off and check out the world around her. With my size, that can create quite a show! I'd be really interested in hearing from others with the same problem.

Thanks in advance, ladies! I appreciate your support!:)

What an awesome thread! I'm currently BF my 3 week old baby and have trips to DL in August and WDW in October. I'm rather large busted and am quite nervous about BF'ing in public without too much nipple showing while latching. I'm going to get some nursing tanks/shirts and see if that helps some. I'm reluctant to use a cover because they are so hot, but may end up doing that anyway.

Love the ideas and support that this thread has offered! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter