Official Birthday/Anniversary Cake thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update on our cake. When we arrived I went to the bakery at POR about 3 pm and asked if the cake was ready. The girl behind the counter seemed a tad confused and I said it was a graduation cake that was to be ready for pick-up. I told her my last name and about 5 minutes later she came out with the cake. I am not sure how to download the pic to this site but it was done in white buttercream frosting with white Mickey heads piped on the side and Happy Graduation Kendall on the top with green leaves and yellow roses piped on the top and came on a gold foiled cardboard circle, for $26.00 and we ate from it all week. A bit too sweet for me but my guys loved it. I am a whipped cream girl. Be specific with what you want on top as far as colors or any toppers. They do a 1/2 sheet cake as well as the 8 or 10 inch.

Ok, thanks so much! O I love the pic too! Those Mickey heads on the side are wonderful! Did you request those?

I'll be ordering this for my DH and I when we have our 20th Anniversary dinner at 1900 Park Faire. Just wondering, if anyone has had this in cheesecake and if so, would they recommend it or is the vanilla or chocolate better?

47b5dd22b3127cce98548ee80e4400000017108AatnDNy3aMx

i'm planning on getting a mini castle cake for DH and my 10th aniv dinner at narcoosees - he's talked me out of it twice now, but not this time!!

I'm looking for some ideas. We are going in July and will not be returning for another year. (It KILLS me, but my daughter graduates next year and she wants a Disney cruise for her graduation trip....so we have to wait to return to WDW.) We are staying at AKV and this trip will fall a month short of my older daughter's 18th birthday. I have done the zebra cake in a past trip. Can anyone recommend anything special, unique, different to do cake or sweet treat wise for this trip? I don't want to repeat the zebra cake, and I don't want to do anything I might decide to do for her graduation trip. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!!

We returned from Disney World yesterday! :) & :(

Here is what I wrote about ordering our cake before we left.

I ordered a cake to be delivered to our dinner at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge for Friday, 4/25. I ordered a marble cake with raspberry filling and chocolate ganache icing. We have the Platinum Plan booked. So I had our planner do it for us. I was very unhappy when he e-mailed me yesterday saying that the WL Bakery does not do chocolate ganache. He told me that he substituted it with chocolate buttercream. So NOT the same thing!!!He then told me he was out for the next two days. Grrrrrrrrrrr! He did supply me with the cake hotline at WL to make any changes myself. Well, guess what? They do have chocolate ganache. The idiot of a planner assumed that I didn't know what ganache was, so he changed my order for me!!! I was so mad!!!!!!!!!!! He could have ruined my whole cake! And I wouldn't have known if I hadn't called myself.

We arrived at Artist Point and mentioned our cake when we checked in. We had a wonderful meal and were so stuffed by dessert. We were on the platinum plan, so it included an apetizer, entree and dessert. We talked to our amazing waiter, and he suggested that we each try a dessert and he would box the cake up for us to take to our room. We had a refrigerator up there, so thought that it was a good plan. He brought the cake out for us before he boxed it up. It was simple and beautiful.

072812.jpg

The flowers were edible, but not great. They also had a sharp wire through them. They were very beautiful on the cake though.
072802.jpg

073606.jpg

Now I mentioned above that I was mad at my planner for cancelling my chocolate ganach order. See, I'm used to ganache with a layer of buttercream under it to cut the bitterness. This was not done with this cake. The cake and filling were so fresh and sooooooooo delicious! :) There was a layer of cream mixed in with the raspberry, it was out of this world! But the ganache was just a little too much. I kind of wish that I had done a vanilla buttercream, or even chocolate buttercream. Ah well, it was worth it. And now I know if I order another cake in the future.

We arrived at Artist Point and mentioned our cake when we checked in. We had a wonderful meal and were so stuffed by dessert. We were on the platinum plan, so it included an apetizer, entree and dessert. We talked to our amazing waiter, and he suggested that we each try a dessert and he would box the cake up for us to take to our room. We had a refrigerator up there, so thought that it was a good plan. He brought the cake out for us before he boxed it up. It was simple and beautiful.

072812.jpg

The flowers were edible, but not great. They also had a sharp wire through them. They were very beautiful on the cake though.
072802.jpg

073606.jpg

Now I mentioned above that I was mad at my planner for cancelling my chocolate ganach order. See, I'm used to ganache with a layer of buttercream under it to cut the bitterness. This was not done with this cake. The cake and filling were so fresh and sooooooooo delicious! :) There was a layer of cream mixed in with the raspberry, it was out of this world! But the ganache was just a little too much. I kind of wish that I had done a vanilla buttercream, or even chocolate buttercream. Ah well, it was worth it. And now I know if I order another cake in the future.

I've been decorating cakes as a side income for more than 15 years. To be honest, that does not look like chocolate ganache. It looks like a chocolate/fudge buttercreme icing. Ganache would have a very shiney smooth look to it. As for the flowers, I've had those on a disney cake before. They are so beautiful! But not usually meant to be eaten. They are made of royal icing, which is confectioners sugar and egg whites. Meant to be more decorative then edible.

But it is a truely beautiful cake. And I've had that same filling, it is heaven!!

Blessings,
Winnie

great thread. I remember this thread going on back when we ordered dd's chocolate slipper and it was a great help. we now are planning our son's bday trip for november and looking forward to ordering a special cake for him. Im thinking maybe the Star Wars cake. I still need to pick a place to eat that night since its thanksgiving. I do not want to be rushed since it is his day so Im going to have to do some research prior to booking my ADRs at the end of the month. thanks again for the great photos of the cakes. I really enjoyed looking at all of them!

What a fantastic thread! I am so impressed by the cake and filling choices. I figured they would only have very simple cakes that were either plain or decorated.
We will be celebrating my grandsons third birthday when we are in WDW in Sept. We are having dinner at Coral Reef because he is a fish fanatic and loves them so much.
I would love to get Nemo, but since they don't do that does anyone have any suggestions for me? He loves Little Einsteins and Goofy, so maybe they could do a goofy water type cake?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

those royal icing roses on that cake look so pretty, i'd still want to try and eat them! (although if they're very hard, i'd be in danger of cracking the bonding on my teeth....) - just the same, they're beautiful!

The roses are amazing! They do such an amazing job on the details at WDW! I was going to mention that I think that an above poster may be correct. I have had choc frosting and that was what it looked like. Now I am a choc not and I personally did not care for it - there was not a whole lot of flavor in my opinion (I think the plain buttercream tastes better) So maybe their version of ganache has a different flavor. But just to let you know for future that is what the choc looks like. I order mine from the BC.

072812.jpg

072802.jpg

073606.jpg

OK..I am SOOOOOO not a cake person but the filling on this cake looks amazing! I don't know what ganache is either...can you tell me what kind of cake this is and explain ganache? Sorry for sounding ignorant but I am more of a nacho expert than a cake expert! LOL

The filling in this cake looks wonderful. The only problem is this is the flavor I would choose if it was my birthday. But instead it's my DD's 11th. Has anyone ordered this raspberry flavor with kids? Did the kids like it or is this more of an adult flavor?

I ordered a marble cake with raspberry filling. I did not request the cream to be mixed with the raspberry filling, they must do that on their own. But boy is it wonderful together. It cuts the sharpness of the raspberry taste. I am used to a darker and smoother ganache. If your child likes raspberry, then the would love this!

Here is the definition of ganache:
A combination of chocolate and cream, melted together slowly. When used warm, ganache is poured over cakes or cookies to form a smooth glossy coating. If chilled, it can be formed into chocolate truffles.

Here is a picture of the ganache that I am used to.

WARNING: NOT A DISNEY CAKE

160152.jpg

The cake that I received from the Wilderness Lodge bakery did not have that type of ganache. It was more of a thick, bittersweet choclate icing. It was not bad by any means. It just wasn't as sweet as I would have liked. The ganache on the cake above also has a layer of buttercream between the cake and the ganache. I would suggest to stick with a buttercream or whipped cream with the cakes from Disney.

Thank you so very much for putting this information together!! :worship: We usually don't do much for our annivesary so I'm excited to suprise my sweet man with a cake in the castle!:lovestruc Thanks for making it easy on me. Looking at the size of these cakes I'm tempted to haul along some tupperware the night we dine out.

Any pics out there of anniversary cakes(not overly pricey)for our dinner at Fyling Fish

Here's our 25th anniversary cake from last September. We ordered it from Grand Floridian Bakery. It was a 10" cake with buttercream icing and strawberries and mousse filling. We hated to cut into it because it was just so beautiful. However, it was also the best cake I've ever tasted :love:

Vacation1087.jpg

However, if you're looking for a cake that isn't that pricey (it cost $40), I'd go over to the Boardwalk Bakery. We got a birthday cake from there (8" choc icing/choc cake). It was yummy. I don't have a photo since we immediately took it on our Illuminations cruise and there wasn't anything left when we got back to the marina. :rotfl:

You can't lose whatever you choose. Happy Anniversary!

cyn

Does anyone have any pictures of the cakes from the poly? I want to have one delieved to our room for a surprise for fathers day for my husband.

Has anyone seen in this thread or had a "Mrs. Potts" cake?

I am looking for something that is a three dimensional shaped Mrs. Potts, not just an image on the cake.

Mrs. Potts could be either the cake or maybe a cake topper?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter