Official Birthday/Anniversary Cake thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To anyone not interested, please excuse the restaurant review, but for those considering celebrations at Chef M's, here goes:

We had dinner at Chef M's last October and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a great server, the food was decent, the character interaction really good.

This year we did lunch, maybe that was the problem since it was temporary for free dining, I don't know. We were seated only a few minutes after checking in, great. It was just downhill from there for us, unfortunately. Our server was inattentive and rushed us. Who brings a cake while you're eating salads?? I consider cake dessert. Needless to say, DD didn't want to eat food after she got a cake, she wanted to eat cake. I convinced her to eat a little lunch first, but I shouldn't have had to do that. He should have waited. He didn't bring plates or a knife for the cake until we were through with our food and I had already went to the dessert buffet area to grab some plates, and cut the cake with my butter knife. We had to ask for a box for the leftovers. We also had to ask for drink refills, they were never offered. We were finished eating and had to sit waiting for Minnie and Donald to come by. Mickey came over about two minutes after we were seated, and Goofy somewhere in the middle, Pluto was near the end of our meal. Character interaction was non existant. They signed the autograph book, quicky posed for a photo, and waved goodbye. No hugs, no playing around, no attention. We were there about an hour and fifteen minutes.

The buffet options were fairly limited for lunch, and we didn't care for most of what we did try. The best thing I ate was the chicken nuggets from the kids section. The pizza pan was always empty, I had to go up and check numerous times to get a piece for DD. Other dishes were often empty as well. They weren't keeping up with it very well.

As I mentioned earlier, we were only charged for the cake, not the edible image. However, our server did automatically add an 18% gratuity which I didn't notice until later in the day. Since I wrote in an additional tip I wasn't very happy about that at all. I should have looked closer, my mistake. He didn't even deserve 18% let alone additional tip money. I was able to get the 20% DDE discount off the cake though.

Sorry if this is somewhere else on the thread, but I can't seem to locate it in the 149 pages! :confused3

We will be having dinner at 1900 Park Faire for my mom's birthday and I was interested in ordering a cake. However, my newphew has an egg allergy. Has anyone every asked for a cake to be made without eggs before? I was wondering if GF can do it.

Thanks!
Nikita

I know this is long but I feel that I should tell the whole story. Another tell of great guest services.

Well I feel that I need to report on my experience with my Specialty Cake. I ordered a cake for my DW as a surprise, no real reason just because. I ordered the vanilla cake with the white chocolate filling and white chocolate butter cream frosting. I had it say "Welcome Home Katie" since we liked being welcomed home to the DVC resorts. We were staying at Saratoga Springs. It was scheduled for me to pick up at Artist Palette on Saturday night. My DW knew a surprise was coming but did not know what it was. Circumstances as they turned out ment that my DW was with me when I picked it up. Executive Chef Ron came out without a cake and immediately my mind went to "they don't have it". He then shook my hand and told me that he just wanted to introduce himself. Very classy. He went into the back and brought out the cake. It was nice, nothing elaborate but nice just like I wanted. He then asked if he could have one of his staff deliver it to the room so that it would be there when we got back. I told him that I was told that deliveries were not an option at SSR. He told me that he wanted to make it as special as he could and could have one of his staff take it right over. Great guy and I really appreciated the offer. Two things, 1 - forgot my room number and 2 - As it was my wife was about 10 feet behind me and had already figured it out so I just took it with me,,,poor planning on my part.

We got back to the room and cut into it. I was hoping to have this cake during our stay so we could have some each day. When we cut into it the frosting kind of flaked and broke apart. I thought this was normal but how would I know, not a cake expert here. Then we started to eat it. I immediately thought that the frosting was tasteless but did not say anything right away. After a couple bites it was brought up by one of use, don't remember who said it first, that the frosting was tasteless. Imagine biting into a chunk of cold butter or lard, that was the texture and it tasted "lardy" or "Criscoy". The cake part itself was fresh and tasted good but it was hard to eat around all that frosting so we stopped.

The next day I was pretty disappointed that the "surprise" was a bust. I contemplated calling and voicing my concern but I am not the kind of person that normally complains unless it is a real important issue. Later in the day I called the cake hotline and left a message with Artist Palette, no I did not call the bakery since the Artist Palette had always been my point of contact. I never got a call back and still have not 3 days later.

Our last night we were eating dinner at the Turf Club and my DW has an allergy to honey so the wait staff had the chef come out and talk to us. Low and behold if it was not Chef Ron that came out. He immediately looked at me and said "you look familiar". I told him that I was the one that picked up the cake from him a few days earlier. He asked me how it was and I told him the above....cliff notes version. He told us that he wanted to come out and talk to us after we ate dinner.

Towards the end of the meal he came out and got my name again and told me he would look into it. He also asked what I paid for the cake, about $25.00, and when I ordered it. We told him that we thought maybe someone just messed up the ingredients in the frosting since we have had Boardwalk Bakery items before and have loved them. Later he came back and told me that he left a $30.00 credit at the front counter of the SSR for us to spend however we like. He also told me that he called the Boardwalk Bakery and they told him that they had three other calls regarding the same issue regarding the frosting. That made me feel better that it was not just me being picky. He asked if it was already in the trash and I told him that we still had it in out fridge and he asked if he could have room service pick it up after we left in the morning (at 4am) so he could look at it. Of course I told him that he could.

I would like to commend Chef Ron for taking the extra time and effort to make some of his Disney guests feel better about what could have "left a bad taste in our mouths" (pun intended). He went above and beyond and we really appreciated it.

THANKS CHEF RON from SSR! :thumbsup2

I have a few cakes to share. The first is a picture of a birthday cake my son received at AKL.
Disney07332.jpg

The second is a picture of the zebra cake we ordered at AKL. It was really a very flavorful cake. One of the best I have ever had. We requested a marble cake and YUM, this one was very well done!
Disney2007015.jpg

Both cakes were delivered to our AKL room.

I will be at Pop in less then 48 hours, Yeahhhh! This am I called Pop and asked if I could order a birthday cake for my Grandaughter and was transferred to Pop's chef and got a voice mail. I left a detailed message about what I wanted with my name and phone # but did not get a call back. Is it too late now? If I can't get it at pop I would of tried for an ADR.

The same thing happened to me at POP in September. They never called back before I left. I decided not to worry about it, but if you really want one, I'd keep trying back, even after you get there.

Thanks! I am not going to worry about it. from what I am reading there will be way to much to eat and she is so excited about this birthday trip that it won't matter if she has a cake in her room or not. Down to 20 hours left:yay:

We just returned from a short trip to WDW. We stayed at the GF and celebrated my MIL's bday. We ordered the cake from the GF Bakery and had it delivered to the room. We had ordered the cake to be vanilla cake with custard and strawberry filling and buttercream frosting. The cake was wonderful other than they forgot to put the strawberries in the custard filling.

IMG_1775.jpg

The magic has already started!!!I got a call back from Pops and she was so nice. we got the cake all workd out.:thumbsup2
17 hours to go:banana: :banana:

I know this is long but I feel that I should tell the whole story. Another tell of great guest services.

*edit* :)

How nice of him to take care of this for you! It's wonderful when they make things right.

But honestly, when something is wrong if you don't speak up, even tho you feel you're making a big deal of something, they can't fix it. And the next time, you or someone else might think twice about ordering a cake. $25 is also a lot of money to be wasting too! I think Disney would rather know they messed up than not or else they wouldn't try so hard to fix things when it does happen.

What a great surprise too, em, could you nudge my DH? I would love a cake some time when I'm not expecting it. After all, it's not a party until the cake is served!

I would like to commend Chef Ron for taking the extra time and effort to make some of his Disney guests feel better about what could have "left a bad taste in our mouths" (pun intended). He went above and beyond and we really appreciated it.

What a great report! That really stinks that the icing was so bad but gotta love that kind of customer service. :thumbsup2

The magic has already started!!!I got a call back from Pops and she was so nice. we got the cake all workd out.:thumbsup2
17 hours to go:banana: :banana:

What kind of cake were you able to get? Will they deliver to your room? We are going to be there in April for DS birthday. TIA

Here are the photos of DD's birthday cake from Chef Mickey's. When ordering the CM told me they could do the white chocolate screen printed Snow White, standing up on top of the cake with lots of flowers, and Happy Birthday Emilee written on top. I ordered a white cake, with white chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream frosting. Here's what I got:

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4493.jpg

Instead of the white chocolate stand up character it was an edible image. It appeared that they zoomed in on Snow White from an image of all the princesses. There were no flowers and no Happy Birthday either.

It tasted good, but the cake layers were too thin and the filling layers too thick.

They charged me $25 which I believe is the price of the cake alone, no additional charge for the edible image, thank goodness, since I didn't want it anyway, LOL.

Then we started to eat it. I immediately thought that the frosting was tasteless but did not say anything right away. After a couple bites it was brought up by one of use, don't remember who said it first, that the frosting was tasteless. Imagine biting into a chunk of cold butter or lard, that was the texture and it tasted "lardy" or "Criscoy". The cake part itself was fresh and tasted good but it was hard to eat around all that frosting so we stopped. [/COLOR]:thumbsup2

WOW they went above and beyond to correct that, that is great. :thumbsup2

I too found that the buttercream was crisco-y and tasteless, thankfully we had chocolate ganache on top of the "buttercream" and that saved the cake... mine was the $85.00 pirate cake I got for my 3 year old son...I posted about it a couple of weeks ago. I had it made by the GF bakery. If I had just gotten the buttercream I would have been very disappointed because it would have not tasted good at all. My advice is skip the buttercream or make sure you tell them to add real butter and SUGAR to the mix! LOL

So we are back from our wedding trip to disney. As promised, here is a pic of our cake from our rehearsal dinner, which was a surprise to everyone including my now husband:
100_1239_0181_181.jpg

It was chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse. Everyone loved it. I think they liked it better than our wedding cake which was chocolate cake with Bailey's mousse and marble cake with tropical mousse. It was delicious and gorgeous. We had 42 people, and we got a half sheet cake and still had half of it left over.

Hi everyone! I would like to order a cake for our anniversary to surprise my Dh. This is what I would like to order for our GFC TS. Chocolate Cake with White Chocolate & Oreo mousse filling and White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting with a milk chocolate and white chocolate marble ganache. I would like to order the 10". Do you think that this is possible? I know that I have seen the fruit filling but my DH & DS are not big on fruit and both love Oreo Cookies.

I can't understand why Disney doesn't have a better system and customer service when it comes to cake orders.

I want to order two cakes for our trip soon and I dread the anxiety of wondering if we will get what we wanted.

The people who received what they wanted.....did you call to check on your order? Call in the morning?

I would love to see pictures of the small, frozen cakes people request at check in to their favorite restaurants (specifically LTT in MK). Can't really budget for some of these beautiful cakes I've seen on this thread, but my DS will be turning 6 while at WDW and he'll need something! Hoping to get a vanilla cake, for under $15, that tastes, fairly decent. Anyone have these types of cake pictures to share? I would be so grateful.....

Has anyone ordered a cake while staying at the Ft Wilderness cabins? I see the Hoop-dee-doo # but I'm thinking that is just for orders while dining @ that restaurant. Thanks for any info!!

Gina :)

Here are the photos of DD's birthday cake from Chef Mickey's. When ordering the CM told me they could do the white chocolate screen printed Snow White, standing up on top of the cake with lots of flowers, and Happy Birthday Emilee written on top. I ordered a white cake, with white chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream frosting. Here's what I got:

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4493.jpg

Instead of the white chocolate stand up character it was an edible image. It appeared that they zoomed in on Snow White from an image of all the princesses. There were no flowers and no Happy Birthday either.

It tasted good, but the cake layers were too thin and the filling layers too thick.

They charged me $25 which I believe is the price of the cake alone, no additional charge for the edible image, thank goodness, since I didn't want it anyway, LOL.

I am sorry that it isn't what you ordered, but it is beautiful!!!:cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter