***Official April 2013 thread*** SEE POST # 4028

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I am just having a heck of a time with this dining stuff! So I was thinking...dangerous I know! The orginal plan was to do breakfast in the room a CS lunch and TS dinner. My DD will be 5 and my DS will be 2 when we go, which means characters, lots and lots. I actually asked my DD last night who she wanted to see and it was pretty much everyone, the princesses, mickey and gang, the fairies, and then she said that she thought her brother would love the see Winnie and gang, so nice of her to think of her brother. My husband is not a line waiting type of person and I would imagine a 2 year old and 5 year old would be about the same. I am thinking we should do character meals, to get most of the meet and greet out of the way while my husband is being fed, win win for everyone :rotfl: If I do those would it be better to get the DXDP? I was thinking CP, Tusker House, Chef Mickeys, Park Fare, and Akershus. Also getting into the parks early is a plus in my book. Then I think how long would I actually have to wait in the parks to see the characters, we are going at the end of April. Guess I might just have to price everything out, what a pain! Plus my parents will be with us, will they really want to partake in the character meals? I need to sit down and discuss with my Mom but she is so not easy to plan with, so I instead discuss with all of you :cool1:

Wow I am just having a heck of a time with this dining stuff! So I was thinking...dangerous I know! The orginal plan was to do breakfast in the room a CS lunch and TS dinner. My DD will be 5 and my DS will be 2 when we go, which means characters, lots and lots. I actually asked my DD last night who she wanted to see and it was pretty much everyone, the princesses, mickey and gang, the fairies, and then she said that she thought her brother would love the see Winnie and gang, so nice of her to think of her brother. My husband is not a line waiting type of person and I would imagine a 2 year old and 5 year old would be about the same. I am thinking we should do character meals, to get most of the meet and greet out of the way while my husband is being fed, win win for everyone :rotfl: If I do those would it be better to get the DXDP? I was thinking CP, Tusker House, Chef Mickeys, Park Fare, and Akershus. Also getting into the parks early is a plus in my book. Then I think how long would I actually have to wait in the parks to see the characters, we are going at the end of April. Guess I might just have to price everything out, what a pain! Plus my parents will be with us, will they really want to partake in the character meals? I need to sit down and discuss with my Mom but she is so not easy to plan with, so I instead discuss with all of you :cool1:

My first thought was whether you will actually be able to get these meals at the time you want. Have you checked availability? The early times might already be snagged by those who also like to get into the parks before they open. I'd check availability before changing up the dining plan. I totally get your point about not waiting in lines though. And I know that there is always the chance to getting one of those coveted ADRs due to a cancellation, but you aren't trying for just one, it looks like you are hoping for five.

I think it's a great idea if you can actually get the reservations that you want. Are all of you staying in the same room? Would your parents have to go on the plan, too (skip some of these meals if they want)? I hope you are able to get at least some of these ADRs, I agree that it would be a great way to keep everyone happy. I'm not sure what the pricing would be for breakfast, so don't know if the DDP would save you money or not. Interested to know how it works out.

So what does everyone think about the cheerleading comp that will be there during the end of April? We check in the 28th and it looks like most of the competition will be over by the 29th with everyone leaving on the 30th or the 1st.

Has anyone been during a cheerleading competition? I figure as long as we stay away from the Allstars and Carribean Beach Resort we should be ok. However, I did hear that they occasionally spill over to other resorts.

So what does everyone think about the cheerleading comp that will be there during the end of April? We check in the 28th and it looks like most of the competition will be over by the 29th with everyone leaving on the 30th or the 1st.

Has anyone been during a cheerleading competition? I figure as long as we stay away from the Allstars and Carribean Beach Resort we should be ok. However, I did hear that they occasionally spill over to other resorts.

On our Feb 2011 visit there was a cheering competition and we stayed at CBR....they were everywhere at the resort, however, we did not see any cheering groups at the parks at all.

As a PP mentioned, check to see if you can get the reservations for all of the character meals you want to go to. I wouldn't recommend the DXDP... that's an awful lot of food, and in a earlier post you mentioned how you wanted some freedom. Most of the character meals are one table service credit...Some are 2 credit. Cost wise, most character meals are in the $35.00 range for adults; not sure for the kid price. How many nights will you be staying? That could be a consideration too.

Ok, i did some adding of things: for a family of 4...2 kids and 2 adults

Location/ Kids/ adults/ credits

Cinderella palace/ $36.00/ $59.00/ 2
Tusker house/ $15.00/ $35.99/ 1
Chef Mickey Dinner/ $36.00/ $59.00/ 1
Park Fare Breakfast/ $15.00/ $35.99/ 1
Park Fare Dinner/ $36.00/ $59.99/ 1
Akershus/ $36.00/ $59.00/ 1

Paying Cash Kid/Adult
Total Per Person $174.00 $308.97
x2 People $348.00 $617.94
Total: $965.94

Using dining plan Kid/Adult
Dining Plan: $17.16 $55.59
x2 People $34.32 $111.18
x 6 days $205.92 $667.08
Total: $873.00

Supposing that you went for 6 nights, and you were on the dining plan, you could use each of your table service credits for each of the 5 character meals. 2 table service credits would have to be used for CP, so you would have to use Counter service credits for Dinner that last day, or pay out of pocket for a meal or two...probably a counter service.
You'll notice that Park Fare has different prices for Breakfast and Dinner. Same goes with Chef Mickey, but i don't have the breakfast prices listed here. Taxes are not listed here. I hope you can read the table above... the DIS didn't like the spacing that i used. I also did not include pricing for tips.

Also, the prices included both prices listed for 1900 park fare...so the numbers will be off a little from what is stated as to what you may actually need, but the comparison is straight across the board. The Dining plan will also allow for your counter service meals and the snacks, where as the "cash" basis listed above are for the character meals themselves...no counter service or snacks included.

There was a cheer group checking into POR as we were checking out this year. Dont know how much of them ended up staying there, but the group we saw were about 30 plus some parents (they were all standing outside the lobby together so there could have been more). My point is, I think they DO spill into all resorts.

Every few years we saw some of the members of the cheerleading competition in the parks. They were full of enthusiasm and there was lots of cheering going on while they were waiting in line for rides. It did get a little loud, but it was festive.

What cheer group is coming in? Anyone know the dates?

At the moment I have reservations at CP Breakfast, Akershus Breakfast, Cape May Breakfast, Park Fare Dinner, and Tusker House Breakfast. The only one I am not sure about is Park Fare, I have been reading some trip reports and Park Fare doesn't come out too well. :confused3 My DS will be 2 when we are there, I know he can share off our plates at buffets, can we do the same at TS restrauants? Maybe he could share with my DD? I have priced everything out, I think correctly, and eating the way we normally do, no appetizers and no deserts, I come out at about $1300 for the 7 nights. The DXDP would come to almost $1600 for the three of us for the week. It is a lot of food but I wonder since we do still have to feed the 2 year old if the extra food would be helpful? Thank you all for your help on this!

At the moment I have reservations at CP Breakfast, Akershus Breakfast, Cape May Breakfast, Park Fare Dinner, and Tusker House Breakfast. The only one I am not sure about is Park Fare, I have been reading some trip reports and Park Fare doesn't come out too well. :confused3 My DS will be 2 when we are there, I know he can share off our plates at buffets, can we do the same at TS restrauants? Maybe he could share with my DD? I have priced everything out, I think correctly, and eating the way we normally do, no appetizers and no deserts, I come out at about $1300 for the 7 nights. The DXDP would come to almost $1600 for the three of us for the week. It is a lot of food but I wonder since we do still have to feed the 2 year old if the extra food would be helpful? Thank you all for your help on this!

I didn't notice your DS age ...he will be free. Anyone under 3 is free, and can share a plate at any restaurant.

As far as park fare dinner, we've been there twice... the food was ok, not great, and doesn't have a lot of variety for children. For the adults, the buffet was for a lack of better terms...strange. and i can't explain that one. sorry. The character interaction was great though.

Hunclemarco said:
As a PP mentioned, check to see if you can get the reservations for all of the character meals you want to go to. I wouldn't recommend the DXDP... that's an awful lot of food, and in a earlier post you mentioned how you wanted some freedom. Most of the character meals are one table service credit...Some are 2 credit. Cost wise, most character meals are in the $35.00 range for adults; not sure for the kid price. How many nights will you be staying? That could be a consideration too.

Ok, i did some adding of things: for a family of 4...2 kids and 2 adults

Location/ Kids/ adults/ credits

Cinderella palace/ $36.00/ $59.00/ 2
Tusker house/ $15.00/ $35.99/ 1
Chef Mickey Dinner/ $36.00/ $59.00/ 1
Park Fare Breakfast/ $15.00/ $35.99/ 1
Park Fare Dinner/ $36.00/ $59.99/ 1
Akershus/ $36.00/ $59.00/ 1

Paying Cash Kid/Adult
Total Per Person $174.00 $308.97
x2 People $348.00 $617.94
Total: $965.94

Using dining plan Kid/Adult
Dining Plan: $17.16 $55.59
x2 People $34.32 $111.18
x 6 days $205.92 $667.08
Total: $873.00

The math is not correct on this, you technically priced out 7 character meals for the OOP meals (since CRT is considered 2)

Do you know the exact dates they'll be there? We're visiting from the 21st to the 27th, sounds like they'll be overlapping.

On our Feb 2011 visit there was a cheering competition and we stayed at CBR....they were everywhere at the resort, however, we did not see any cheering groups at the parks at all.

Good to hear it didn't cause too much issue. We're off site so it won't be a problem at the resorts. Just as long as it doesn't get the parks overly crowded, I'm not worried!

There is a link in the first post about Cheerleading and Dance Worlds in April at WDW. Here it is again: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/cheer/cheer-worlds-championships

Josh at easywdw.com doesn't think it will affect the parks much.

I will say that when we were at POFQ in April 2009, some of the dance groups were there. A few girls slipped away from their chaperones and decided to sit in front of our ac vent and have a smoke. We were not happy (dh has a lung condition and cannot be around cigarette smoke, or any other smoke for that matter) and the girls were flippant about it when we spoke to them.

so I just read that the reservation system will be down (i forget exact dates, I think it was Dec.3-5th). Usually when they're down, don't they come back up with the newest discounts??

There is a link in the first post about Cheerleading and Dance Worlds in April at WDW. Here it is again: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/cheer/cheer-worlds-championships

Josh at easywdw.com doesn't think it will affect the parks much.

I will say that when we were at POFQ in April 2009, some of the dance groups were there. A few girls slipped away from their chaperones and decided to sit in front of our ac vent and have a smoke. We were not happy (dh has a lung condition and cannot be around cigarette smoke, or any other smoke for that matter) and the girls were flippant about it when we spoke to them.

We had smokers outside our room last year 2 nights in a row. I called and they came right down and told them that it is no longer allowed anywhere near the rooms- they HAD to use the designated areas. Never had another issue. Now if only they would enforce this in the parks life would be good;)

wdw4rfam said:
We had smokers outside our room last year 2 nights in a row. I called and they came right down and told them that it is no longer allowed anywhere near the rooms- they HAD to use the designated areas. Never had another issue. Now if only they would enforce this in the parks life would be good;)

they don't enforce it in the parks? confused.....that is terrible..... the last time I was there I was with a smoker ( I am a non-smoker) and we had to map out the smoking areas in the parks. I would wander the stores or surrounding areas and wait. I never saw anyone smoking outside the designated areas, but I guess I never ran into a cloud of smoke.

Sent from my Xoom using DISBoards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter