Official all things Princess Half Weekend 2015 thread! DOoneY and offical mErcH on DisneyParksBLOg

Sorry this happened. Bad runs can be discouraging. But they are a great opportunity to find solutions to problems we may face on race day. I have only felt nauseous while running due to running much too fast. But it happens after any run where I don't fuel and/or hydrate properly. So I'd agree with the other response above. If it's new phenomenon I'd think about what you may have eaten/drunk differently in the last 24-48 hours and how you hydrated/fueled on the run. Focus on figuring out what went wrong and fixing it, instead of just dwelling on the fact it happened. If you really can't find any reason it could be a fluke, but if it were me I'd write a brief reminder to myself of what I'd eaten/drank before and what I did to fuel/hydrate on the run so if it happens again you can look for similarities before or during the run.

I obviously came up with a list of excuses haha (see previous post) but I hadn't thought about it in terms of what to do differently for the race. Like, obviously I'm going to be eating better because I'll be able to chew things, but I don't really have a plan for the few days leading up the race and maybe I should figure one out.

That actually brings up another question I've had--the race is at what 5am?? I don't know how to prepare for that in terms of fueling and trying to get enough sleep and eating that morning. I don't like running too soon after I eat--something I messed up today for sure--but I don't know how to make sure I'm properly fueled while getting as much sleep as possible. Does anyone have any tips for adjusting your normal schedule to this ridiculous early morning?

I obviously came up with a list of excuses haha (see previous post) but I hadn't thought about it in terms of what to do differently for the race. Like, obviously I'm going to be eating better because I'll be able to chew things, but I don't really have a plan for the few days leading up the race and maybe I should figure one out. That actually brings up another question I've had--the race is at what 5am?? I don't know how to prepare for that in terms of fueling and trying to get enough sleep and eating that morning. I don't like running too soon after I eat--something I messed up today for sure--but I don't know how to make sure I'm properly fueled while getting as much sleep as possible. Does anyone have any tips for adjusting your normal schedule to this ridiculous early morning?

I don't like to eat less than 2 hours before I run, I have a very sensitive GI system. Last year I ate an early dinner, 5:30, then, just before bed I ate a banana. In the morning I got to the race around 4:15 both days. To compensate for not eating breakfast I just started fueling earlier than I normally would if I were at home running a few hours after I ate. I'm sure not everyone can skip breakfast, but I would have been too nervous about digestive disaster had I eaten. That said, I did test this method once before race day, and I am a frequent breakfast skipper to begin with.

So I'd try and concentrate on making sure you eat right in the few days leading up to the race. And also try what you think you'd be most comfortable with for race day once on a run of at least an hour to see how it works. everyone's experience is different, so there's no one right answer here.

I'm not running Princess, but since there's a Castaway Cay challenge for you, thought I'd give my experience with the inaugural Challenge.

The run was *early*. It started at 7, but disney being disney, that meant a meetup at 5:45. We actually docked around midnight, to give the ship the strongest chance of actually docking at the island that day. There was a buffet at 5am, there were 3 corrals for us (800+ runners), and we left the meeting room (theater) in corrals. Since the course is different than the normal 5K on the island, the walk to the start was pretty much a mile.

Hope that helps any Castaway Challenge Princess people!!!!!

WOW…800 runners…several years ago we had 10 runners (half was my family) and it started right in front of the ship. Almost 3 years ago there was around 50-60 runners and we ran the "new" course (starting near the bicycles). But 800+ sounds crazy. Hope you had fun!

WOW…800 runners…several years ago we had 10 runners (half was my family) and it started right in front of the ship. Almost 3 years ago there was around 50-60 runners and we ran the "new" course (starting near the bicycles). But 800+ sounds crazy. Hope you had fun!

It was definitely a lot!

During the hour-long meeting with the rundisney people, when they announced that the normal free island 5K would have new medals starting from Jan 14th, and that the timing was such that you could do the paid 5K and then the free one, the free run "sold out". They told me it's normally capped at 200, and they added spots so 260 people signed up for the free run held the hour after the paid one finished. Those people got to run the Challenge course and I think got the leftover rundisney food, LOL.

I had more fun doing the 5K than I have had so far at WDW Marathon weekend. Last year I was sick as a dog, and this year's Half involved horrid GI distress that caused me to walk almost all of it, and if I was undertrained at running, I was 100% untrained at walking 10 miles. I'm still recovering. But the 5K Castaway Challenge felt GOOD.

(I also did a cycling class and two yoga classes during the cruise; one of the yoga classes was on Serenity Bay beach 2+ hours after I finished the Challenge, and all of that was nice)

Anyway, I don't know how many in this thread are doing the Castaway Challenge, but if there are any, I hope the knowledge helps. :)

I'm not registered for the PHM this year, but I'm hoping to be there in 2016. Thanks for all of the information, and good luck to all of the runners as you head into the final weeks!:cheer2:pixiedust:

Hello to all you Princess runners!:wave2:

Glad I found this board! I've read the entire thread over the past few days. This will not only be my first Disney race, but my first race ever. I'm starting off small with the 5K this year. Goal is 10K next year and Glass Slipper challenge in 2017!princess:

I know I'll be doing a combo of running & walking. I'm not worried about setting a record time :lmao: just finishing and not getting swept off the course. I currently have a sinus infection/cough/cold hindering my workouts. I was on the treadmill Friday and ended up having to break out my inhaler. :sick: Hopefully this passes soon because I'm eager to get back to business!

I'm open to any tips you have for a first-timer!:blush:

I just about fainted when I read they have Dooney purses! And I thought I was excited about trying to get the New Balance sneakers. :rotfl:

One month tomorrow until my first race!!:cheer2::hyper:

Hello PHM Runners! I ran the PHM last year, followed by three local half marathons. But this year, I decided to run the WDW Marathon instead. I loved the full marathon, but now that that's over, I miss the PHM. So I'll follow along here and cheer for all of you in these final weeks! I'm registered for a number of local half marathons this year and will definitely run the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2016. :)

A few thoughts to share regarding the PHM. There are so many ways to accomplish this goal. For me, time is important and I'm very close to my goal of a sub-1:50 half, so I train for that. For my teen boys, time is not important. They really didn't train, but they just had great fun running their first half at Disney during Marathon Weekend. As for my husband, I think he would like a better time, but training is tough to fit in to his work schedule, so he trained very little. They had never run more than 6.2 miles, and that was over a year ago at DL. The point is, we've all completed a half marathon or half marathons, we've all approached it differently, and we all have a great time. My plan for 2016 is to run the 10K at a fun, easy pace with my teens (two boys up for the Glass Slipper Challenge!) and then work toward my time goal the day of the half.

Go PHM runners!!!! :cheer2:

6.2 is the farthest I've ever run, and I've been taking it easy for a few weeks following a New Year's Day 10K where I REALLY pushed. So I was trying to increase back to about 6-6.5 today after a few down weeks.

If you mileage is generally a lot lower and you upped it for one race and that was pushing it, and then tried to do it again, yeah, that might have been too big of an increase at once. 6 miles on just soup though, I'd say that had a lot to do with it especially it if was days of soup. As for the banana....that's a really individual thing. I couldn't run right after eating one (or anything for that matter) but lots of folks can within 45 minutes. General rule/recc seems to be more like an hour before. For me, I realyy need it to be 3 or more or, I don't eat before. But that's me.

But even with all the excuses, it's still disheartening, especially so close to my first half!

We all have lousy runs, I had one last week. Best way to get over it is simply to get back out there and not let it mess with your head. It's counter productive.

I obviously came up with a list of excuses haha (see previous post) but I hadn't thought about it in terms of what to do differently for the race. Like, obviously I'm going to be eating better because I'll be able to chew things, but I don't really have a plan for the few days leading up the race and maybe I should figure one out.

That actually brings up another question I've had--the race is at what 5am?? I don't know how to prepare for that in terms of fueling and trying to get enough sleep and eating that morning. I don't like running too soon after I eat--something I messed up today for sure--but I don't know how to make sure I'm properly fueled while getting as much sleep as possible. Does anyone have any tips for adjusting your normal schedule to this ridiculous early morning?

I think that is a very individual question. What I would suggest is thinking about how you fuel for normal runs, knowing that 13 is a very different animal than 5 or 6. Ideally, if you have the time and are going to be going higher than that 6.5 you can test eating before, fueling during and doing earlier morning runs (or at least as early as light allows).

I know my fueling needs are dramatically different than many so I'm not the best for advice but I also tested out a LOT of options over training for my first half so that I could feel like I knew what worked best for me.

Here is an article Runner's World tweeted out yesterday. It is about fueling for a half.
http://www.runnersworld.com/nutriti...w&adbpr=14882900&cid=socNut_20150109_38485887

I'm hoping bib info is out anytime now. Other races were about a month out. Still waiting on Dooney pics, too.

I hope corral info is out soon as well. Usually it is a month out but last years PHM corrals came out more like 3 weeks.

Glad I found this board! I've read the entire thread over the past few days. This will not only be my first Disney race, but my first race ever. I'm starting off small with the 5K this year. Goal is 10K next year and Glass Slipper challenge in 2017!princess:

I know I'll be doing a combo of running & walking. I'm not worried about setting a record time :lmao: just finishing and not getting swept off the course. I currently have a sinus infection/cough/cold hindering my workouts. I was on the treadmill Friday and ended up having to break out my inhaler. :sick: Hopefully this passes soon because I'm eager to get back to business!

I just about fainted when I read they have Dooney purses! And I thought I was excited about trying to get the New Balance sneakers. :rotfl:

One month tomorrow until my first race!!:cheer2::hyper:

Get well! 5K is a freat way to start. Biggest tip is to not get hung up on time but, be aware of it. Finishing upright is the most important thing, having fun equally so. If you hope to get pictures taken, plan your time accordingly but don't be afraid to skip a photo if it is the difference between falling below the 16m mile or not.

Hello PHM Runners! I ran the PHM last year, followed by three local half marathons. But this year, I decided to run the WDW Marathon instead. I loved the full marathon, but now that that's over, I miss the PHM. So I'll follow along here and cheer for all of you in these final weeks! I'm registered for a number of local half marathons this year and will definitely run the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2016. :)

A few thoughts to share regarding the PHM. There are so many ways to accomplish this goal. For me, time is important and I'm very close to my goal of a sub-1:50 half, so I train for that. For my teen boys, time is not important. They really didn't train, but they just had great fun running their first half at Disney during Marathon Weekend. As for my husband, I think he would like a better time, but training is tough to fit in to his work schedule, so he trained very little. They had never run more than 6.2 miles, and that was over a year ago at DL. The point is, we've all completed a half marathon or half marathons, we've all approached it differently, and we all have a great time. My plan for 2016 is to run the 10K at a fun, easy pace with my teens (two boys up for the Glass Slipper Challenge!) and then work toward my time goal the day of the half.

This is the bottom line for all. Your race, your pace. What is important to each individual is what you should train for. No one way is right or wrong. some folks want to train for time, others will argue that Disney is not a race that you should care about time. Some folks want to stop for pictures, others think it is a waste of their time. Some folks walk, some run, some do both. It is ALL ok. Do what feels right to you and don't get hung up on what anyone else thinks. As long as you are being smart in your training, to take care of your body to get you to the finish line and as long as you follow basic race etiquette (don't walk hand in hand blocking the whole path lol) it can and should be magical for all. I know I am approaching this race very differently from my first half. Both were valid approaches, they are just very different.

You could have done both! I got the courage to do the full in 2012 after several half's. I ran both WDW full in 2012 and 2013 and followed up with the PH.

:cheer2::hyper:

Most will say no running if the cold is in your chest, but fine if it is a head cold.

You could have done both! I got the courage to do the full in 2012 after several half's. I ran both WDW full in 2012 and 2013 and followed up with the PH.

Love it!! You definitely had the right idea - running the PHM would be a great way to beat the post-marathon blues! My next half marathons are too far away - May and June. But now I've learned my lesson - a January race and a February race may be in the plans for next year. :)

Miss Whimsy, everyone is definitely different, but just wanted to add that's how I feel when I fail to fuel and hydrate properly. I've also had that feeling when consuming too many gels (got rid of those) and taking aleve the morning before a run (everyone says not to do that . . . and they are right!)

For the races, I drink lots of water in the days leading up to the race, and make myself eat a bagel (the whole thing - with peanut butter) and a banana at a crazy early hour. To make it easier this last time, I ate the banana as I was leaving my resort and the bagel at the race retreat.

Hope the next run is better and I agree with eandesmom - don't let this one mess with you!

Miss Whimsy, everyone is definitely different, but just wanted to add that's how I feel when I fail to fuel and hydrate properly. I've also had that feeling when consuming too many gels (got rid of those) and taking aleve the morning before a run (everyone says not to do that . . . and they are right!)

For the races, I drink lots of water in the days leading up to the race, and make myself eat a bagel (the whole thing - with peanut butter) and a banana at a crazy early hour. To make it easier this last time, I ate the banana as I was leaving my resort and the bagel at the race retreat.

Hope the next run is better and I agree with eandesmom - don't let this one mess with you!

I agree with pixarmom, this is why it's so important to test fuels and pre run eating beforehand. I don't handle sugar well at all and gels, any gel, is simply too much for me, especially while/when running. Major headrush and ick. I don't eat before I run but eat well the day before (and days) and hydrate well in the days leading up to a race. I then have 1-2 shot blocks during the race for a half, maybe 1 for a 15k-10 miler that is really purely electrolyte and sodium based (margarita shot blocks for me). Many would argue that's not enough fuel but I tried the whole eating before thing with all kinds of different options and timings and learned that if I am going to eat, it has to be a minimum of 3 hours prior, preferably 5 or more. I do much better if it is more like 5-12 hours. 5 for an evening run works but 10-12 for a morning one. That's me though. Most folks do eat something and half a bagel is a good one to try to start that seems to sit well with most.

It does depend on how long you will be out, fuel needs for 2 hours of running are very different than 3 or for 1. The links posted have some good guidelines. I've only truly gotten dizzy once (sugar rush is just that and it passes, it's just a bit icky for about 5-10 min lol) and that was definitely a combo of not hydrating well the day before, very humid weather, and a sudden stop (stop light). It was a key learning moment and I've never let it happen again.

For PHM I have a 5:30 ADR which should be the perfect amount of time food wise as long as I limit my fluids after 6:30 pm to avoid bio breaks during the race. I may or may not have one cup of coffee prior.

I will grab a mocha gel at mile 8 though and have it immediately after I am done...that's like nirvana to me! So is squeezable fruit. It's too much during the race but perfectly fabulous right after.

I limit my fluids after 6:30 pm to avoid bio breaks during the race.

This is interesting, so do you think that as long as you hydrate well for the 3 or so days before the race, it'll be fine to not drink so much right before the race? I don't drink anything in the morning before I run (since I tend to mostly run trails with no bathrooms in sight ;)), but people have been telling me I really should hydrate more. I haven't had any issues, so I figured I was fine, but it's interesting to hear someone else's viewpoint.

This is interesting, so do you think that as long as you hydrate well for the 3 or so days before the race, it'll be fine to not drink so much right before the race? I don't drink anything in the morning before I run (since I tend to mostly run trails with no bathrooms in sight ;)), but people have been telling me I really should hydrate more. I haven't had any issues, so I figured I was fine, but it's interesting to hear someone else's viewpoint.

I think it really varies by individual, many folks need a lot more than that prior to or during a run. I am not a good benchmark here. I don't run with water nor do I stop for water on training runs unless it's over 70 degrees out and I'm going further than 7 miles. Many folks want need more than that and what you need for a half is different than a shorter run for sure. The galsI am doing the race with drink more before and both carry water, that's what works for them.

If it is warm and or humid out, I make sure my route has at least one water stop on it if I need it and then of course right when I am done.

If I've hydrated well the day before, and for a race especially a humid one, days before, then I don't need any additional right before or during a run. People told me the same thing you are hearing, people that didn't know me. I listened, I tried, I tested.

For me some of the key signs of being well hydrated during a run beyond the obvious thirst factor include not having any swelling anywhere (fingers) and the absence of salty crusty sweat. If other of those happen at any level during a run for me I'm not hydrated enough and electrolytes are off.

If it is an evening run then I will have had liquids up to 5 hours prior but any sooner than that, for over 7 miles, I will more than likely have to take a bio break. Morning run the 12 hour interval seems to be my magic number but up to 10 has been ok.

I am sometimes able to do 1 cup of coffee prior to a morning race and I really prefer to have it as it helps get everything moving for me and then I don't have to worry about that during a race. However that has caused a bio break in a few races so I've been playing with the interval to see how early I need to have that coffee for it not to be an issue (sorry if this is tmi!). Right now that window for 1 cup seems to be 3 hours.

Which means I'll probably skip it for this race lol!
Coffee at 2:30 am isn't all that appealing but we will see.

The DL half was my first half. I was extremely well hydrated going into it. I probably had liquids the night before until 8:30 at dinner and a small bottle of water before bed. I also hit many of the water stops. One of the challenges I had at DL is that they give HUGE cups of water (like twice as big as any other race I've ever done and they are filled to the brim, probably at least 8oz!) and I think there were 8-9 stops. I stopped too many times, probably 5-6 and drank way more of the cup each time, because it was there and I felt bad tossing half full cups of water. I needed maybe half of what I took in, probably less. On the positive side, I felt great in the humidity and it was super humid that first hour.

Negative? 2 bio breaks during the race despite using the porta Potties 3x prior to the race including the one out at the corrals. Killed my time. I am determined to avoid that this time and have been testing the time/liquid ratio during training this time. Some of it is nervous bladder for sure and my IBS doesn't exactly help things. My current plan is for no more than 3 water stops during the race. Physically I will not need more, 2 might even suffice, and that will limit the risk and temptation to drink more than I need especially given how large those cups were.

Part of it is pace, you do need to think of how long you will be out and hydrate/fuel accordingly especially in heat. The difference between say a 2 hour half and a 3 could make quite a difference in what is needed.

eandesmom gives great advice, and is pretty in line with what I stick to, as well. ("I don't run with water nor do I stop for water on training runs unless it's over 70 degrees out and I'm going further than 7 miles" - same here). Last year, I even did my last long run of 10.5 miles without a water stop because it was 25 degrees out and snowy/sleeting. I was pretty well-hydrated before I left the house, and felt fine when I got home. I'm a weirdo, lol. If I do feel I will need to hydrate mid-run, I'll carry my handheld Nathan 10oz water bottle (it has an ergonomic hand strap thing) that is 50/50 mix of water & Gatorade.

As far as race prep goes for fueling, this is a really individual thing. I have been through a whole litany of trial & error in fueling/battling GI issues. Here's what I've found to work for me:

Long training runs: No sooner than 1 hour prior to run - Coffee and either whole wheat toast with butter & jam, or a whole wheat waffle with honey & PB.

Race week: Up water intake by nearly double, nix alcohol altogether.

24 hours prior to race: Water, water, water. No dairy (I'm lactose intolerant), increase carbs & protein (pasta for dinner no later than 6pm the night before the race). I lay out my race outfit and pin on my bib prior to going to bed (it's a pre-race ritual). Bedtime around 9pm.

Morning of race: Rise at 3am. Coffee, banana (optional), whole wheat waffle with PB, honey and sliced strawberries.

1 hour prior to race: 20 oz of water (or more if I'm thirsty), 1 packet of Sport Beans. I'm usually at my corral by this time.

Mid-race: Just water & Powerade. I usually don't need to hydrate until around the 4th or 5th mile, and then every other mile after that. I've only ever taken fuel once mid-race and it messed my stomach up bad (I missed the Wine & Dine post-race party in EPCOT because of this.)

Post race: Powerade and water, banana (if I can stomach it), maybe some crackers. It usually takes my stomach at least an hour to settle down post-race before I can eat an actual meal.

I've found that when it comes to pre-packaged fuel, Sport Beans are the easiest on my stomach. I like that they're not a GU/gel, and they don't require a lot of chewing like Chomps/Shot Bloks. Plus, the packets have a zip top, so I can pop a few in my mouth here and there, then re-seal the pouch without fear of them spilling everywhere. My favorite flavors are Cherry (caffeinated), Watermelon (caffeinated), Juicy Pear, and Green Apple. I've found that the other flavors taste a little too vitamin-y for me, but that's really just personal preference. You can get a 24-pack of Sport Beans for $24 at RunningWarehouse.com (I usually add that to my cart whenever I get a new pair of shoes from there).

Basically, you just have to try things. Every runner you talk to is going to have a different experience. I hydrate plenty the days before. Then I sip water in the morning, and take it at every water stop. I also carry it with me in case I need it in between. I honestly sweat so much that I don't have a problem. For fuel, I stop eating no later than 6 the night before. Then I eat little bits every couple of hours, the last thing being 30 minutes before I start. During any run over 1 hour, I eat 5 Honey Stinger chews about every 30 minutes, making sure I wash them down with plenty of water. It takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what works!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter