• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official all things Princess Half Weekend 2015 thread! DOoneY and offical mErcH on DisneyParksBLOg

I have both IT band issues and bursitis! I just got the stick and have been rollering my legs daily since Thursday. I figure it is going to take at least a week with how bad mine are. My massage therapist told me to just take a rolling pin to my legs, that's how bad they are!

Ouch!! Does the roller seem to be helping you? And can you run at all, or are you just rollering and resting until they feel better? I know I can't run today (walking without pain today, though going downstairs is still nasty!), but I'm wondering when I'll be able to run again. It's so tough to know what to do - is it better to rest or to power through the pain to get the training in :confused3

Definitely get a foam roller! It hurts like a ##### to use but it really does help. I also use mine on my calves, and my BF (who doesn't run but stands all day for work) will sometimes use it on his calves also. It seems a little wonky at first, like "why am I rolling around on the floor?" but it helps a lot.

Meanwhile you can google for stretches that will help with IT issues. My go-to post-run that I think prevents a lot of IT issues: try lying on your back with legs bent, place one ankle on the other thigh (almost to the knee) and then lift that lower leg up and put your hands on your shin to pull both legs towards you. You should feel the stretch in the outside thigh of the leg that's folded on top of the other one. (Did that make sense lol?)

Ouch!! Does the roller seem to be helping you? And can you run at all, or are you just rollering and resting until they feel better? I know I can't run today (walking without pain today, though going downstairs is still nasty!), but I'm wondering when I'll be able to run again. It's so tough to know what to do - is it better to rest or to power through the pain to get the training in :confused3

The roller seems to be helping but I have been powering through it. I was told I needed to take 4-6 weeks off running to have my bursitis calm down... I just don't have that time. I will put myself back together in March. The roller does hurt to use, but so does a deep tissue massage when they are getting the knots out.

I also use the same stretch every day of putting my ankle on my knee while laying down. But I am also having gleuteus medius and minimus issues due to pronation problems with an ankle injury from high school. The roller helps with that as well as the calves.

The roller seems to be helping but I have been powering through it. I was told I needed to take 4-6 weeks off running to have my bursitis calm down... I just don't have that time. I will put myself back together in March. The roller does hurt to use, but so does a deep tissue massage when they are getting the knots out. I also use the same stretch every day of putting my ankle on my knee while laying down. But I am also having gleuteus medius and minimus issues due to pronation problems with an ankle injury from high school. The roller helps with that as well as the calves.
I has this problem a few years ago and did rest a bit (maybe 1 run during the week balanced by other training). I also bought the IT strap to wear- it helped some. I would also ice it after the rolling.

Under two weeks to finalize magic bands, then they will ship out. It's not long now. Mickey mail should be arriving shortly, as well. Program guide, bibs, corrals in a few weeks.:scared1:

Thank you all for your replies! I actually did buy a foam roller today - I went to the store to get new shoes (had $10 off coupon that expired today), and I spoke with the girl there about these issues, and she suggested I try the roller as well.

I'm really hoping this will work as I don't want to take a break from the training at this point. Since I'm up to 9 miles, I want to at least get in two more long runs (10.5 and 12) before the race (I'm loosely following the Jeff Galloway plan). I did notice that the short runs were uncomfortable, but not too bad, so I'll start out with that and see how it goes.

Good luck to everyone dealing with all these various issues!!!

Under two weeks to finalize magic bands, then they will ship out. It's not long now. Mickey mail should be arriving shortly, as well. Program guide, bibs, corrals in a few weeks.:scared1:

Excited-Amy-Adams-In-Cute-Dress-Reaction-Gif.gif

I can't believe how fast it's coming! Headed back to school tomorrow after Christmas break and then about a month until my February break and WDW! Excited but nervous for my first 10k. Any tips for making the most of it?

I'll join in the injury crew :sad2:

I took almost a month off after the TOT in October for IT band issues. I started back up slow again with minor aggravations. I started getting sports massages as well, I have had 2 so far. I also use a foam roller. On Christmas eve I ran 5 miles and I was fine. That following sunday I went out for a 5 mile run again, but had to stop at mile 4 and walk home because my knee was killing me (it was also FREEZING so I worry my legs never quite warmed up). I went out today for my first run since, 2 miles. I completed it but my leg was really bothering me at the end to a point that I would have had to stop had I planned on going any further. It also feels more like this is coming from the bottom of my knee now, as well as the outside of it.

I have looked at a ton of diagrams online and it does sort of look like the IT wraps around the lower knee a bit. Is that right? I am really hoping that this is the same issue aggravated and not a whole new one to deal with! I am considering buying an IT strap for above the knee if it is still the IT issue. My understanding is they help relieve pressure on the lower IT band. But I would love to hear any other suggestions!

After reading "Mickey mail," I went to my email to double check that my registration info was still active and never noticed before but I typed in one wrong number in my address as I was quickly registering during my lunch break...(have NO idea how I didn't catch that before.)

What Mickey Mail do we receive from runDisney? Do I need to contact active.com or rundisney to get it fixed?

Thanks for the help!!!

After reading "Mickey mail," I went to my email to double check that my registration info was still active and never noticed before but I typed in one wrong number in my address as I was quickly registering during my lunch break...(have NO idea how I didn't catch that before.)

What Mickey Mail do we receive from runDisney? Do I need to contact active.com or rundisney to get it fixed?

Thanks for the help!!!

I believe the Mickey mail she was talking about is from WDW Travel/Disney Destinations, not runDisney. I don't recall receiving anything from rD in the mail prior to race day, just email communication. Even the Event Guide is electronic - though you get a paper copy when you pick up your race packet at the Expo.

I believe the Mickey mail she was talking about is from WDW Travel/Disney Destinations, not runDisney. I don't recall receiving anything from rD in the mail prior to race day, just email communication. Even the Event Guide is electronic - though you get a paper copy when you pick up your race packet at the Expo.

:rotfl2: at your video. Too funny. Yep, it's the luggage tags etc from the travel company.

Thanks!!

I'll join in the injury crew :sad2:

I took almost a month off after the TOT in October for IT band issues. I started back up slow again with minor aggravations. I started getting sports massages as well, I have had 2 so far. I also use a foam roller. On Christmas eve I ran 5 miles and I was fine. That following sunday I went out for a 5 mile run again, but had to stop at mile 4 and walk home because my knee was killing me (it was also FREEZING so I worry my legs never quite warmed up). I went out today for my first run since, 2 miles. I completed it but my leg was really bothering me at the end to a point that I would have had to stop had I planned on going any further. It also feels more like this is coming from the bottom of my knee now, as well as the outside of it.

I have looked at a ton of diagrams online and it does sort of look like the IT wraps around the lower knee a bit. Is that right? I am really hoping that this is the same issue aggravated and not a whole new one to deal with! I am considering buying an IT strap for above the knee if it is still the IT issue. My understanding is they help relieve pressure on the lower IT band. But I would love to hear any other suggestions!

Yes! That's where my IT issue is too, outside lower knee. I've seen a physio. It's where the IT band connects. My band itself never hurts, just at that part of my knee. I don't really have a ton of advice for healing though. Sometimes it hurts when I run, sometimes it doesn't, although using run/walk intervals seems to help.

Other things I do: foam roll, regular quad stretch, the glute stretch where you make the #4 with your legs. I'm also working on strengthening my glute(s) because the sore knee side is definitely my weaker side, so leg raises, one legged squats and wall sits with a band around my knees.

Hope this helps :goodvibes

Race Retreat - - -Again, first half, first rD race but won't really be able to enjoy after the race, our flights home are at 2 pm so will need to quickly depart and head back to the resort for a quick shower and head to airport, so is the Race Retreat worth it in your opinion??
This is the only one I qualify to answer... and my answer is maybe. What RR affords you is shelter and food. The "private" porta potties and bag check aren't worth much. So how critical to you is having a tent and food available pre-race? I did RR the past 2 years and was glad I did the first, my first PHM: it helped eased my stress, having a clear place to be before and after the race. Last year I did all 3 races and thought RR would be a nice treat... meh. I'd have been just as happy without it. If it's in your budget and sounds fun, go for it. But totally not a necessaity.

After the races are over (5K, 10K and half) how efficient are the buses? I am staying at the Yacht club and need to attend business conference at the convention center post race (5K and 10K). What is the quickest/most efficient means of getting back to the Yacht Club post races? Will taxis be available post race? I will also have a rental car (and husband) if that helps. I am guessing after the half marathon I can use my annual pass after 9am to enter Epcot and walk back to the Yacht club.

Thanks in advance!
The truth is that you never know with the buses: my poor friend waited almost an HOUR in line for a bus back to her resort last year, while my bus waited for ME to finish my champagne to leave, it was so empty! Your safest option by far is to drive - I drove to the 5K and 10K this year and timed it: 10 minutes total from room door to parked at EP, and about 15 from car to room door going back afterward.

I have a quick question about characters:

Are there signs showing you where the characters are along the route, or do you just constantly have to be looking for them? I know the lines will probably be super long (especially because I'm doing the 5K), but I want to try to see all of the characters, so I'm hoping they're pretty easy to find.

I hope everyone's training is going well and that all the injuries are healing well!

I'm sorry to hear so many suffering with IT Band Syndrome. I'm going to offer a single post on the subject, as it's unfortunately something with which I'm all too familiar.

My background: it nailed me training for my first long distance race, 2012 TOT. I tried to push through and made things MUCH worse. Like, unable to run more than a 1/4 mile worse. Took weeks off, foam rolled, did the stretches and strength work indicated when one Googles ITBS. Walked most of 2013 PHM, but finished without issue. Nailed by it again at mile 10 of 2014 WDW Half. Worked with a chiropractor to really nail down what was my root cause, rested, rehabbed, changed what needed changing, and I've raced TOT, W&D and a local half with no sign of ITBS. So what did I learn?

1. You MUST rest it. Completely. That knee pain is caused by inflammation and until you allow that inflammation to go down completely, you can't do anything; it'll just keep getting re-irritated. A few weeks of no running should do it.

2. Spend that rest period figuring out what's causing it. This is HARD - there are a gazillion things that can bring on ITBS. Your best bet is finding a doc or chiro who understands running mechanics and can help you rule stuff out. Contrary to popular belief, it's not always weak or unbalanced muscles . In my case it wound up being the wrong shoes mixed with very steeply cambered roads, which put my foot into a weird position, creating tension from the bottom up, not the top down, as is so often the case. But maybe your issue is with muscle weakness or imbalance - you need to ID which muscle/s and the best exercise/s to correct that.

3. Come back s l o w l y. Half a mile to start and build slowly from there. I found I did best with low mileage, but frequent runs; 2 days running, 1 day doing something else. I was able to build back up pretty quickly, but not in big leaps.

4. Foam roll... but in the right way! Google this one and spend some time getting to know your muscles. Just rolling around a bit won't cut it; you need to get the right spot/s in the right way/s.

Everything else is very much individualized. I like yoga and have been practicing for 20+ years; I think it probably helps keep ITBS at bay, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a magic cure. Newton running shoes were a near-instant solution for me, but only because they happen to be the brand that best works with my personal mechanics. Seeing my chiro was a big help in IDing the problem and healing the inflammation, but an ortho or PT who knew how to do the same would have been just as helpful. ITBS is an absolute beast that requires a lot of time and attention to figure out, and really, a lot of experimentation to see what works for you. I dearly wish there was some magic solution for it, but there just isn't.

Sending best wishes and healing thoughts to all suffering with it - I KNOW your pain and hope you never have it again! :goodvibes

Yes! That's where my IT issue is too, outside lower knee. I've seen a physio. It's where the IT band connects. My band itself never hurts, just at that part of my knee. I don't really have a ton of advice for healing though. Sometimes it hurts when I run, sometimes it doesn't, although using run/walk intervals seems to help.

Other things I do: foam roll, regular quad stretch, the glute stretch where you make the #4 with your legs. I'm also working on strengthening my glute(s) because the sore knee side is definitely my weaker side, so leg raises, one legged squats and wall sits with a band around my knees.

Hope this helps :goodvibes

Boo, I'm sorry you are getting it too! I really thought I had this somewhat settled by now...but turns out it just decided to come back! At least this time I have 6 weeks and not 1...Tonight I am starting up again with my pure barre classes to strengthen my legs and then right after I am going down the street to my local running store for one of these: http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/56978/586620/Knee/IT-Band-Compression-Wrap.html. Really hoping it takes some pressure off the IT so I can keep training! So hopefully in a few weeks I will see some improvement. I am not very worried about the distance to be honest, but if I can just finish the race without having to drag my leg behind me, I'll consider it a win! I'll report back on if it seems to help!

The truth is that you never know with the buses: my poor friend waited almost an HOUR in line for a bus back to her resort last year, while my bus waited for ME to finish my champagne to leave, it was so empty!

This is probably a silly question...but PrincessV I think you know everything! haha. So...what can you tell me about this champagne?? It sounds like such a cute way to celebrate and I have heard it mentioned here or there. But, I am not sure if I would need race retreat to have it available? Or can I just buy it in the post-race area?

I have a quick question about characters:

Are there signs showing you where the characters are along the route, or do you just constantly have to be looking for them? I know the lines will probably be super long (especially because I'm doing the 5K), but I want to try to see all of the characters, so I'm hoping they're pretty easy to find.

I hope everyone's training is going well and that all the injuries are healing well!

I usually only stop for one a race, maybe two, so I am trying to remember. I actually think all I saw were lines, and then I realized who the character was when I went past them and turned around to get in line. A lot of them you can hear/see as you approach (they are right next to the road). I'm not sure about the 5k, but I recall reading something about what characters would be present in the race brochure for TOT? Your best bet is probably to google search past 5k's. I am betting many characters will be repeats. Especially in Epcot - characters will match up with their "home country"

This is probably a silly question...but PrincessV I think you know everything! haha. So...what can you tell me about this champagne?? It sounds like such a cute way to celebrate and I have heard it mentioned here or there. But, I am not sure if I would need race retreat to have it available? Or can I just buy it in the post-race area?

Lol! I don't know about everything, but by golly - I do know where to find the champagne! ;) I bought it it inside the Race Retreat tent, but I'm 99.9% sure there was a booth selling outside, in the post-race staging area, too. :thumbsup2 It was a lovely way to finish the Triple Crown!

I'm sorry to hear so many suffering with IT Band Syndrome. I'm going to offer a single post on the subject, as it's unfortunately something with which I'm all too familiar.

Sending best wishes and healing thoughts to all suffering with it - I KNOW your pain and hope you never have it again! :goodvibes

Thanks PrincessV! I have a friend who is a very serious marathon runner (seriously, light years ahead of me!) and she suggested a local chiropractor also - actually - he practices "active release technology" and she swears by him. I am just waiting to hear if my insurance will cover it and then hoping to get in to see him! I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, but I stopped my pure barre classes about 2 months before TOT to focus on running since I was so busy. Horrible decision. I am guessing over that time the strength I had built up slowly faded until I ended with this. I also realized I lost my abs right about then too! Better work on those too before Disney pool time comes around...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter