• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official all things Princess Half Weekend 2015 thread! DOoneY and offical mErcH on DisneyParksBLOg

Looking for opinions. The family favorite resort is Port Orleans, with a slight preference toward POFQ. Would it be silly to do the first two nights at POFQ and then switch to POR for the remainder of the trip? With discounts and a room category change, the nights at POFQ are cheaper than the rates at POR. At this time there are no remaining discounts for length of stay at either resort. Moving luggage down the path is not a deal breaker. In addition, three more people will be checking in to POR on the same day we would switch to POR. This may help getting rooms, at least, next to each other.

Hooray, my proof of time 10K was this morning and it went well. I was hoping for a 1:20 finish, and I think I finished in 1:16! Being slower really helped me out today too, it was a combined 10K/Half out and back, and the turn around point was really unclear for the faster runners. By the time I got there, there was someone directing traffic. But my faster friends ended up going almost a 1/2 mile too much!

Now the countdown to February begins!

Looking for opinions. The family favorite resort is Port Orleans, with a slight preference toward POFQ. Would it be silly to do the first two nights at POFQ and then switch to POR for the remainder of the trip? With discounts and a room category change, the nights at POFQ are cheaper than the rates at POR. At this time there are no remaining discounts for length of stay at either resort. Moving luggage down the path is not a deal breaker. In addition, three more people will be checking in to POR on the same day we would switch to POR. This may help getting rooms, at least, next to each other.

I'm personally too lazy to switch resorts, but that one would be fairly easy!

Hooray, my proof of time 10K was this morning and it went well. I was hoping for a 1:20 finish, and I think I finished in 1:16! Being slower really helped me out today too, it was a combined 10K/Half out and back, and the turn around point was really unclear for the faster runners. By the time I got there, there was someone directing traffic. But my faster friends ended up going almost a 1/2 mile too much!

Now the countdown to February begins!

Yahoo, great job!! Takes the pressure off a bit, right?

Any thoughts about how the hub construction will affect us?

...hub construction? :blush:

As for me, I ran my longest distance ever today, 7 miles, so I'm pretty happy with myself. Also, it felt fairly easy at the pace I kept and I only took two walking breaks. It was on a treadmill though, which is out of the ordinary for me, just the weather was so bad this morning! Gorgeous now of course :p

Blabbermouth, Congrats on your long run. I tend to do most of my long runs at the Y. It's just nice to have the workout atmosphere to help get me through them. I'm not a big fan of split stays either. As you stated, it's one of the easier ones, so it's no big deal. It's kind of silly, because they are considered one resort.

I'm personally too lazy to switch resorts, but that one would be fairly easy! Yahoo, great job!! Takes the pressure off a bit, right? ...hub construction? :blush: As for me, I ran my longest distance ever today, 7 miles, so I'm pretty happy with myself. Also, it felt fairly easy at the pace I kept and I only took two walking breaks. It was on a treadmill though, which is out of the ordinary for me, just the weather was so bad this morning! Gorgeous now of course :p

There's ba lot of construction going on in the hub right now, and I don't think it will be done until 2016. I am just wondering how that will affect the course/photos.

The Anthem Wicked 10K in Virginia Beach went really well this weekend! My goal was to get a sub-1 hour PR, and I came in at 1:00:18, so I'm happy. I would have come in under an hour had I not stuck with my running group for the first mile, but oh well, not a biggie. That time should get me in Corral D or E for the PHM, woohoo!

Blabbermouth, Congrats on your long run. I tend to do most of my long runs at the Y. It's just nice to have the workout atmosphere to help get me through them. I'm not a big fan of split stays either. As you stated, it's one of the easier ones, so it's no big deal. It's kind of silly, because they are considered one resort.

Haha, I was in my parents' garage staring at the garage door, but same thing :P

There's ba lot of construction going on in the hub right now, and I don't think it will be done until 2016. I am just wondering how that will affect the course/photos.

I hope it doesn't make things too ugly :( Although I find the pics in front of the castle etc. are more like "here's a pic of what I did!" than "isn't this a fabulous photo?"

The Anthem Wicked 10K in Virginia Beach went really well this weekend! My goal was to get a sub-1 hour PR, and I came in at 1:00:18, so I'm happy. I would have come in under an hour had I not stuck with my running group for the first mile, but oh well, not a biggie. That time should get me in Corral D or E for the PHM, woohoo!

Nice work! I don't think I'll be able to get to a sub-1hr 10K, but an hour 5 or 10 or so is okay for me too :)

I would definetly consider switching rooms. Especially since you prefer POFQ and you even get a better price for it. Moving luggage just down the path is pretty easy, especially since it's such a nice walk.

Question & Advice Needed

Let me start that I am a basically "new" runner...been doing this about 1 1/2 years off and on...slower paced/interval runner around 13-14 mm.

QUESTION...ADVICE

I am considering a 1/2 at the end of January. I have never ran a half (farthest distance EVER is ToT 10-miler a year ago...current longest is 6 1/2 miles). It is a Biggest Loser 1/2, so the pace requirements are 22 minute mile...so I am not stressed about the time factor. I am really curious about what a 1/2 feels like distance wise before I do PHM in February. I also am planning on a 15K 2 weeks after the 1/2 and 2 weeks before PHM. Am I crazy for 1/2...15K...1/2 in the span of 6 weeks? Advice needed and wanted...

Unfortunately I have no advice, but it did make me think of my own question. I am using the Galloway GSC plan, but I started it a couple of weeks early for wiggle room. I am supposed to do 6.5 miles this week and 4 miles next week. However, I am running a 10K next week. Should I stick to the plan the way it is, or switch this week and next week?

Unfortunately I have no advice, but it did make me think of my own question. I am using the Galloway GSC plan, but I started it a couple of weeks early for wiggle room. I am supposed to do 6.5 miles this week and 4 miles next week. However, I am running a 10K next week. Should I stick to the plan the way it is, or switch this week and next week?

I would just flip flop the weeks, as you mentioned. Like you, I think it's a good idea to have a week or two extra to work with. Life happens. I'm doing the GSC plan, as well. I'm currently running eight miles for my long run. With cut back weeks and a possible 5k, I'll be joining the plan the first week of December. Maybe I should throw a nine miler in here somewhere.

Question & Advice Needed Let me start that I am a basically "new" runner...been doing this about 1 1/2 years off and on...slower paced/interval runner around 13-14 mm. QUESTION...ADVICE I am considering a 1/2 at the end of January. I have never ran a half (farthest distance EVER is ToT 10-miler a year ago...current longest is 6 1/2 miles). It is a Biggest Loser 1/2, so the pace requirements are 22 minute mile...so I am not stressed about the time factor. I am really curious about what a 1/2 feels like distance wise before I do PHM in February. I also am planning on a 15K 2 weeks after the 1/2 and 2 weeks before PHM. Am I crazy for 1/2...15K...1/2 in the span of 6 weeks? Advice needed and wanted...

Last year I did Tink and Princess, which were 5 weeks apart and I just checked my log. It looks like I did the tink half, followed by long runs of 6.5, 9, 12, 3.5, then princess. In your case, I think the 15k might be more confusing to plan around than the half. Mainly that depends on how you were going to run the 15k- if you race it or use it as a training run. I wouldn't race it full out, but that's just me. Unless I'm reading your timeline wrong. You also may have a totally different experience at Princess than the biggest loser half, depending on where the biggest loser half is, in terms of weather conditions, so it may not be a completely accurate measure of "what a half feels like" in preparation for princess. Especially because there is no substitute for race day adrenaline on your first half! (But having done ToT you may already have experienced that anyway). You can definitely train to 10 miles or further without a race if you want to experience the distance.

Whatever you decide it sounds like fun to me! Good luck!

I'm running the 10K. It's my first ever run Disney event. My DM and DD are going to be there but they are not running. Can anyone tell me what their options are for meeting me at the end of the race? I found some info on the runDisney site, but it is specifically for the Half. Will they have to come with me in the morning, or will they be able to arrive later?

Hooray, my proof of time 10K was this morning and it went well. I was hoping for a 1:20 finish, and I think I finished in 1:16! Being slower really helped me out today too, it was a combined 10K/Half out and back, and the turn around point was really unclear for the faster runners. By the time I got there, there was someone directing traffic. But my faster friends ended up going almost a 1/2 mile too much! Now the countdown to February begins!

I bet I know the race of which you speak! It was a train wreck, I went almost a mile too far, my friend and husband about a half a mile, super frustrating and I was grateful I wasn't counting on it for a pot. Bummer too as it's my pr race from last year.

I will say I was happy with how the race director handled it for those who complained. Great job on the 1:16!

I'm running the 10K. It's my first ever run Disney event. My DM and DD are going to be there but they are not running. Can anyone tell me what their options are for meeting me at the end of the race? I found some info on the runDisney site, but it is specifically for the Half. Will they have to come with me in the morning, or will they be able to arrive later?

I met up with my DH after the race at the monorail. You might want to plan a meet up place ahead of time. My cell phone was impossible to use to text or call at the princess this year. That could be frustrating if you were planning on using it.

My DD and I met a friend after the Half earlier this year and just used the bus transportation taking the runners back and forth from the resort. We slept in and had an idea of her finish time so we made sure we were there in plenty of time. We had signs and spotted her after the finish line and then met her once she went through the medal area. There were banners in the lot that had numbers on them (I think) so we picked one via text and found each other. It was really crowded after she finished. Don't know what the other race crowds are like.

So if it ends up being cool in the morning do people wear unwanted clothes and leave them behind at the start of the race?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter