• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

I think your idea of having a "Rain/Lightning" planning section is valid but it would be difficult. I've read reports where someone would say they closed BTMRR due to rain then someone else would write I rode it during the rain. You can suggest go to Storybook Circus Train Station to meet Minnie & Goofy and they might not be there. Which now brings us to the indoor characters, those queues do get filled up and once they do everyone else has to stand outside in the rain and hazardous lightning, would those standing outdoor be happy?

If Disney had a "Rain/Lightning" party policy stating the following characters will be moved to XXX and they can accommodate all the guests and their safety that would be something worth requesting via email. It would be wonderful if we could get FP's for the characters as well that way no one is left standing in the rain and lightning.

I will make changes on my Itinerary thread, I do agree we should do more to make it easier for planning during inclement weather.
One of the main reasons this won't work is the way the lightning works
It's all about the distance of the lightning from the park. They have a range that's acceptable, I forget what it is, 10 miles maybe? Honestly not sure. So
One night there may be lightning in the area but it's outside the range so they can leave everything operating.
But the next night there may be lightning in the area and it's inside the range, just 1 mile closer and everything has to close.
To the casual observer, everything will appear the same. The guest won't know the only difference is how far away the lightning storm is.
But it will make it really impossible to do a list of what will/won't close.

Just saw on photopass fb page they are apologizing for the site being down.
MDE, Disney website, Photopass, etc. experiencing major problems. My tickets are no longer linked and I've been unable to make FP for the last 2 days. They said they were adding "enhancements" to the website but somebody must have MAJORLY messed up because thousands are affected and nobody seems to have an idea when it will be fixed (I've called IT 3 times for a total of 2 hours 45 minutes waiting and nobody knows (or is telling) anything.

Sorry if this has been asked, but there were so many pages.....Has anyone been able to purchase the Muenster Burger at Cosmic Ray's before 7 pm? Thanks!

MDE, Disney website, Photopass, etc. experiencing major problems. My tickets are no longer linked and I've been unable to make FP for the last 2 days. They said they were adding "enhancements" to the website but somebody must have MAJORLY messed up because thousands are affected and nobody seems to have an idea when it will be fixed (I've called IT 3 times for a total of 2 hours 45 minutes waiting and nobody knows (or is telling) anything.

My FPs for this Friday's party are not showing up on the app but are showing up on the website. I used the Windows Snipping Tool to take a screenshot of them with the date and arrival windows and emailed it to myself so I could show the CM if I ran into any issues. I haven't heard any reports of people having trouble actually redeeming them, but I'm not taking any chances.

I was there last night. This is our 13th year of MNSSHP. The first 10 years we did 2 parties each year, the last two and this year are 1. I keep saying no more, I said it last night, but am sure DS will beg to go and I'll go. I do think I'll go the end of October like I did two years ago and felt it was a better experience even though it cost me more.

Anyone know why Hall of Presidents and Monsters Inc Laugh Floor are closed for MNSSHP ?

What time will they be open until on a party day, 6:00 PM ?

Monsters Inc is a candy trail, I imagine most show style attractions like Presidents are not popular and just close.

I believe they are trick or treat trails.

One for sure. I did that one.

I have heard from a friend currently at the party via text, she was able to pick up the Oogie Boogie PC bucket at 5:41 at the hub location ONLY. Also saw this on #MNSSHP

View attachment 350245

There is thunder.

Now where exactly is the hub popcorn stand? I am drawing a blank!

They were at multiple places. That location had super long line but you could go elsewhere. We got ours in Storybook Circus in front of Dumbo.

go to guest services now!

I see no reason for Disney to refund when most of what is part of the party happened. Parades, Fireworks, Hocus Pocus Show, Trick or Treat, Character Meets - even saw the Headless Horseman. They provided the party elements that were the main part of the ticket. There will always be folks disappointed, I would say not my favorite year for this event, but there was no cancellation of the main parts of the event.

In terms of weather ........... it's Florida during hurricane season, it's going to rain, be ready. One party in all I went to did they openly refund because it was torrential for hours, they CANCELLED parades, shows, characters .... so much of the experience did not happen.

UPDATE: My friend met Jack & Sally and waited 3.5 hours! :eek: :faint:

We waited 3 hours the first year. It was worth it to us, we did it once and won't again.

Are they both closed permanently? Looking at the app, they both say "Temporarily Closed". A ride can go down for a number of reasons including mechanical failure, a safety sensor being triggered, or a guest doing something on the ride they shouldn't whether intentional or not. I've read that the latter happens more often that you'd think. I remember being on Magic Carpets of Aladdin and a kid stood up on the ride and it instantly shut down. The CM told us we could be the first to ride it once they got it going again, but we didn't want to wait. But I agree that if two of their three featured attractions are down for the night, I completely understand if someone wanted to pay a visit to guest services.

Just as I was about to post this, it looks like Space Mtn is back up and running.

Pirates they said they were having technical issues and it came back up later. The plus is when Pirates opened everyone got in line and Jack Sparrow had NO line.

When did it rain tonight? We got back from Epcot a little while ago didn’t see one drop of rain sorry to hear the party wasn’t great tonight I’ve got tickets for next Tuesday and May go onother night or two before we leave hopefully it was just a fluke and they got everything together quickly

We had rain about 3 times all the first half of the evening. But not enough for us to put on our ponchos and my DS is a poncho on or freak out kind of guy. He was fine, so I know it wasn't bad.

If I bought tickets on Friday for a Sunday party, would I still get the AP discount or is that too close to the party?

I bought my tickets Saturday for Tuesday and got discount. I don't think there is any time limit, just using the link.

Anyone else having issues getting there Photopass pictures?

I have no access to mine or any from today either .... just Mickey saying some kind of construction. They better show up!

UPDATED: My character shots showed up but none of my magical shots. :sad: I ran in to someone at Epcot Thursday I had been in line with for a character and she said same for her, no magical shots.

The common thing I keep hearing with trip reports is that the party is getting more and more crowded and people are complaining that they sale too many tickets. Would everyone be more happy if they raised the prices and allowed less people in? If you wanted to attend the parties and they were all sold out then would you feel that they should have sold more tickets to accommodate more guest? I just wonder with Disney as a business how they can win in this situation. Sale to many tickets and its over crowded. Sale to few of tickets and people get upset that it sold out. On top of that a business see a spike in demand so they add more parties and sale more tickets. I believe that's what most business owners would do in that situation. If people didn't go then they wouldn't keep expanding it.

Personally I am going on Oct 16 and I like many hope to get my money's worth. That being said that if it is too crowded to where I don't believe my money is well spent then I will simply not go again but I am also not someone who would stand in line over 10 minutes to get a photo with a character and I don't plan on waiting an hour to get a place to watch the parade or fireworks. I will do as much as time allows and I will see the parade and fireworks from somewhere in the park. I just want to have a good time and see the different costumes that people wear and go on some rides and grab some candy for my Grandson. Everything else is just a bonus to me. I have been going to Disneyland's Halloween Parties for years and find them far superior to WDW and you will find Space Mountain with an hour and half wait sometimes even longer.

I hope everyone who still has there parties coming up have a great time and to those who are posting their experiences of the parties thank you very much at helping us all plan our own evenings. Much appreciated.

They have raised the prices plenty and each year am sure they raise the number of tickets sold. I used to get my AP discounted tickets for about $48 .... I think it was $70 this year. Honestly it was more crowded at the party than it was this afternoon at the park on a beautiful day.

Disney is clearly selling more tickets than it used to for the parties, though they'll never admit it. We did the party on Friday, 9/7, and it was pretty full compared to the crowd levels across WDW that week. The parks were generally low crowds in my opinion, but the party certainly wasn't. It wasn't as bad as the one we did on Halloween night a few years back, but it was much busier than expected. It may be the last one we do for awhile - we did have fun, to be sure, but it didn't feel like an "exclusive" event until after Hallowishes ended and most of the crowd left.

YUP on the ticket part, but we found there were still long lines after Hallowishes. Our only break came during the fireworks when character lines dropped. The second parade was 5 deep at the curb where we were in hub and there were LOTS standing back a few feet leaning on fences etc.

The last few years the party numbers have changed, the lines for everything has changed, the organization of some things like candy lines has improved but character lines has gotten worse. The special treat lines were long so this year we got none. The special photo spots were not marked, the photographers had no help so folks were clustered around them. The hub closer to fireworks/parades was very poorly staffed and the walkways had filled in with guests. There was clearly a lack of CMs working the party, which is sad given what everyone spent. When numerous were asking questions, they had no answers. I saw many just standing around doing nothing while some some busting it trying to keep lines in order (optimal night for line cutting) etc.

I do think they need to acknowledge weather in hurricane season (the whole reason they added FD and parties ... to fill rooms) is ever changing and all character meets need to be set up under cover to begin with. That way we can find them on the maps rather than guessing or asking where they went.

We used to be able to meet so many, trick or treat, see the parade, fireworks and show - and enjoy special treats ... enjoy some dance party time and take it all in. There are too many people to do that now ... you have to pick your priorities and do those. We put a focus on a few things and even that was tough.

I loved this group of 4 young people in front of us in an attraction; costumes and long cheat sheet they were marking things off. It seem like they were NOT trick or treating, but hitting all the special things of the night and some short lines like PP where you could see the queue without dedicating an hour plus of time. Lucky them, no backpacks, strollers or other things .. but they had the list well scratched out.

Did I get my monies worth ... compare it to a Dessert Party or EMM and then yes, I for sure got my monies worth so my biggest issue is ............ Disney, get your self organized, think bigger picture on planning ahead and avoid all the pitfalls, bring in more CMs and give them jobs to stick to and help efficiency.

ADDED: Eating before party started was a nightmare at Columbia Harbor House. If the park is closed at 6 pm, they should only let party guests eat in there to help with the chaos. TWENTY MINUTES from joining the cashier line to checking out. Literally moved an entire 3 feet in that time. Folk EAT BEFORE YOU ENTER THE PARK.

ADDED FOR CHUCKLES: I spent Thursday at MK and was constantly saying how strange that there would be a party on Thursday too .... according to post #1 there wasn't .... but there were quite a few adults in costumes ......... like legit costumes. So weird.

Last edited:

So a couple questions if you would be so kind. I bought tickets for the 10/16 party, to add on to our SW/DC/BG trip to get our Disney fix for a night. THis will be our first MNSSHP, so we want to do it all, but honestly know we have to make sacrifices. Character meets are probably one of the sacrifices, the only one we MUST do is 7D (Lotso would be nice too). Rides are a priority, and we would like to take advantage of the three FPs, but if we want to get some pictures in the bypass area, will we have time to make the 1st FP time slot (3:30-4:30 ish) if we are in line to entire the park by 3:30 or so, or should I worry about the second 2, and just make the first one a nice to have, but not a necessity? Planning on watching fireworks and second parade, so would first parade be a good time to get in line for 7D M&G, or is there a better time, knowing we will be using the first few hours in the park to ride rides via FP/standby? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Attended the 9/11 party and had a great time. My little guy is under 2 so we weren’t concerned with the main attraction rides but took pictures at the castle and rode it’s a small world, the carousel, buzz and the people mover before grabbing dinner at Cosmic rays.

Got in line for Minnie at 6:50 with maybe 7-8 groups in front. Started raining right around that time but only lasted for 20-25 minutes and was pretty light. Characters didn’t come out until 7:20ish but they combined Minnie and Goofy so losing that time wasn’t a big deal since we basically got a 2 for 1 probably finished about 7:50ish.Hopped in line for Donald and Daisy with a wait of about 20 minutes and finished about 8:15. During both waits one of us took the little guy TOT at the train station stop and Ariel’s grotto.

Headed over to Haunted mansion but it was a 40 minute wait at this time and all 3 of the magic photos were about 10-15 people deep if not longer.

Went over to Pecos Bills to get the little guy some milk while DH took the little one TOT at Country Beas. I waited 25 minutes to get the milk and this was by far the worse part of the night as finding milk anywhere besides a restaurant is nearly impossible.

Found a 1st row spot for the parade on the left side of the street at about 8:45. The line only got 2 people deep. Not to far from where the grave diggers meet (they also had a long line). After the parade we headed back to Haunted Mansion which was down to a 15 minute wait. Did. A magic shot on the way as it only had 3 people in line and hit the other magic shot after the ride as there was no wait.

We decided to watch the beginning of the fireworks as we left the park as my little guy is not a fan and was falling asleep anyways. We popped in and see Mickey at Town Square and we were the only people there so he got significant amount of time with Mickey and we still made it out in time to see the finale.

My mood on the party went up and down throughout the party but overall it was a great time and my little guy loved it.

How have the wait times been for Belle and Gaston and Jasmine?

I met Belle and Gaston at the first party. They did not start early; they did not get there until the official party time. Gaston was very, very chatty so the line moved slowly.

what time has the line been starting to form for 7d?

I don't know what time it started. At 8:45 it was 30-40 minutes and they said to come immediately after fireworks, it will be short. Someone reported above that at end of night it was 10-15 minutes.

So a couple questions if you would be so kind. I bought tickets for the 10/16 party, to add on to our SW/DC/BG trip to get our Disney fix for a night. THis will be our first MNSSHP, so we want to do it all, but honestly know we have to make sacrifices. Character meets are probably one of the sacrifices, the only one we MUST do is 7D (Lotso would be nice too). Rides are a priority, and we would like to take advantage of the three FPs, but if we want to get some pictures in the bypass area, will we have time to make the 1st FP time slot (3:30-4:30 ish) if we are in line to entire the park by 3:30 or so, or should I worry about the second 2, and just make the first one a nice to have, but not a necessity? Planning on watching fireworks and second parade, so would first parade be a good time to get in line for 7D M&G, or is there a better time, knowing we will be using the first few hours in the park to ride rides via FP/standby? Thanks for any advice you can give.

We entered the park at 6:05 and the bypass was closed. Everyone was being sent down Main Street.

My mood on the party went up and down throughout the party but overall it was a great time and my little guy loved it.

Well said for me as well, each moment of that was great was followed with frustration. So half the night I would gladly book next year, and half the night I was saying it was my last party.

How have the wait times been for Belle and Gaston and Jasmine?

I met Belle and Gaston at the first party. They did not start early; they did not get there until the official party time. Gaston was very, very chatty so the line moved slowly.

The line was very long each time we passed and since they talk so much, we knew it would be more time than we were willing to give up. We did do them last year and I think we were in line a good 45+ minutes (they didn't switch out, they took long breaks) and that was at the party start. They were our priority for last year.

Sorry if this has been asked, but there were so many pages.....Has anyone been able to purchase the Muenster Burger at Cosmic Ray's before 7 pm? Thanks!

I was one of the ones who bought it this past weekend at 6:04pm prior to the party. It was not in the Mobile Order in the MDE App, so I almost didn't go but since we were at WtP character line doing nothing, so close to Cosmic Rays, and wanted to eat anyway I decided to just walk over and see inside. As soon as I walked in I could see it on the menu video screens and there was zero wait to order and I walked right up to the register. Was in and out super quick.

I posted my experience with somewhat similar plans as yours, so maybe that could help? If you are to the gates by 3:30 you should have plenty of time to get in and stop in the bypass and spend a few minutes with the pictures/etc before your FP, depending on what/where it is. We spent (what felt like significant) time in the bathroom and at the SOTMK fire station after getting inside and getting our wristbands, took pictures/magic shots on Main St, and still made it to Haunted Mansion for our 3:30-4:30 FP with about 5-10 minutes to spare. So if you went straight to the bypass instead of what we did, I would think you'd have plenty of time. I never anticipate being able to utilize the unspoken grace period of being late for a FP. If those 2 characters are your only must do's, I think you should be able to do those fairly easily, but will have to sacrifice a 3rd FP prob to ensure it. Id recommend getting in line for 7D immediately after your 2nd FP. It will be a long wait, but at least not sacrificing party time. You may be able to get a short wait at the end of the night but again, if its a must do, I wouldn't count on it. We typically try to eat while waiting in line or holding parade spots if able, to kill two birds with one stone. If you are able to get 7D done before the party, you can then line up for Lotso in that last hour/half hour for a smallish wait (varies), and possibly other characters too. Just see if anyone reports if his line closes at midnight or early typically, b/c I don't know that. Obviously, it's impossible to do everything like you said, but with a good plan, you can still experience alot IMO, barring unavoidable circumstances (weather, etc). Even with weather, we were able to accomplish almost everything we wanted. I'd recommend fighting with the crowds for the first parade instead of the 2nd, especially if you are willing to watch from Frontierland/Liberty Square, and don't need a front row spot. For one, the atmosphere is better IMO in those part of the parks for Halloween, as I only think Main St is ideal for Xmas parade, and second depending on how close you want to be, you can dedicate less time waiting for a spot. We got a front row spot about 15min prior, but we also got lucky, as the crowds were about 3 rows back at that point in most places. Even with more people, it's easier to get a better spot typically than the Hub/Main St. You'll be able to accomplish alot more after fireworks to close of park, than you will during that time of skipping the first parade. Also, try to focus on doing rides and activities at that side of the park before fireworks so you can focus your last hour in Tomorrowland/Fantasyland(s) side if you are doing what I sugggest. Remember if you are willing to stay up late, you can do any and all of the Main St/Headless Horseman magic shots after midnight/park close if that's a must do for yall. Supposedly you aren't pushed out until closer to 1am. We stayed through 12:30 and nobody tried telling us its time to go or anything, and plenty of photographers.

Last edited:
I was there last night.
They were at multiple places. That location had super long line but you could go elsewhere. We got ours in Storybook Circus in front of Dumbo.

All the popcorn carts were selling Oogie Boogie at 5:30? I thought they were only selling it at 7pm?

I see no reason for Disney to refund when most of what is part of the party happened. Parades, Fireworks, Hocus Pocus Show, Trick or Treat, Character Meets - even saw the Headless Horseman. They provided the party elements that were the main part of the ticket. There will always be folks disappointed, I would say not my favorite year for this event, but there was no cancellation of the main parts of the event.

In terms of weather ........... it's Florida during hurricane season, it's going to rain, be ready. One party in all I went to did they openly refund because it was torrential for hours, they CANCELLED parades, shows, characters .... so much of the experience did not happen.

For those who were so unhappy I suggested they go to Guest Services not necessarily for a refund but to see if they could get some pixie dust as they sounded pretty upset to me, there's nothing wrong with suggesting that to anyone.

All the popcorn carts were selling Oogie Boogie at 5:30? I thought they were only selling it at 7pm?

For those who were so unhappy I suggested they go to Guest Services not necessarily for a refund but to see if they could get some pixie dust as they sounded pretty upset to me, there's nothing wrong with suggesting that to anyone.

I agree, people should at least try if unhappy; however, Hopper is correct (when are they not lol ) that if the party activities still occur, even if delayed (which doesn't even sound like the case here), it makes it difficult to get any compensation for a bad time.

I agree, people should at least try if unhappy; however, Hopper is correct (when are they not lol ) that if the party activities still occur, even if delayed (which doesn't even sound like the case here), it makes it difficult to get any compensation for a bad time.

I hear you, I know the policy and how things work there but you never know what a CM can do for you. I don't think people should demand a refund just because they are unhappy.

I believe the only things that were delayed were M&G's still not a big issue.

Okay I have a dumb question. My friend and I have party tickets, picking up at willcall for Tuesday's party. I set up our fast passes. However, we're staying off site, and he's never been to Disney so he doesn't have a MB. I tried looking for mine last night and since I recently moved, it's nowhere to be found. Will I be able to use the fast passes I set up without a MB or do I need to buy us MBs when before the party and link them to my account?

Okay I have a dumb question. My friend and I have party tickets, picking up at willcall for Tuesday's party. I set up our fast passes. However, we're staying off site, and he's never been to Disney so he doesn't have a MB. I tried looking for mine last night and since I recently moved, it's nowhere to be found. Will I be able to use the fast passes I set up without a MB or do I need to buy us MBs when before the party and link them to my account?

If you are picking up the tickets at Will Call then you shouldn’t need a Magic Band. I think the tickets will have RFID chips in them which you can use at the Fastpass touchpoints.

I assume somebody will chime in if I am wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter