Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

Has anyone gone to an expo at opening on the first day? I'm wondering how horrendous the lines will be at 10 a.m. tomorrow.
I went to the one for Disney World Marathon weekend this year right when it opened. It was terrible, lines wrapped all around WWoS and around an entire sports field. I've never been to an expo at Disneyland though.

Expos at Disneyland are very different - like @VickiHD said, people arrive SUPER early to line up. Because there is way less space in the Disneyland Hotel for the expo, they (runDiseny CMs) keep people in line in other areas of the hotel (another conference room or another area of the hotel).

There are normally two lines: one for expo merchandise and one for picking up pre-ordered items (jackets/Dooneys). You pick one and go wait. Then they let people into the shopping areas in small groups. In a way it's nice because there are just less people shopping all at the same time, because they don't have the space for it. Organized chaos.

I did the crazy early waiting in line in 2015 for the Disneyland Half Marathon races...BFF and I got there at 7:15 for the 10AM opening and this was the line when we arrived (in a separate conference room that didn't house the expo):
21097271948_4371835427_z.jpg

It wasn't that bad - we just sat and waited. They actually let us in at 9:30 (I think this is common but not guaranteed). At the time we thought it was worth it because it was our first race at Disneyland (and we thought maybe it would be our only ever race at Disneyland) - I did hear that the line to get into the official merchandise area was at least an hour for most of the day. But since then I've pulled back on buying merchandise, so I wouldn't do it again. :confused3

I can't believe bibs are still on sale for Tink. I wonder when they're finally going to cut it off. Day of registration? lol!

I can't believe bibs are still on sale for Tink. I wonder when they're finally going to cut it off. Day of registration? lol!
Last year Tink didn't sell out either - they cut it off in mid-April.

Going forward, I think they won't cut off any race registration until the night before the actual race in question (in the case of the Tink half, Saturday when the expo closes - maybe it says otherwise in the program and I'm too lazy to look). If you look at the expo map, there's a booth on the lower level called "Last Chance Registration" right next to Runner Relations - I think one could buy a last-minute bib there.

My thoughts on the Last Chance registration...in a spoiler tag since it's sort of long and doesn't have much to do with anything...
I think they have all of the 15K bibs printed for Tink, and that is what we saw in the corral listing - but I don't think all of them are actually sold to runners. Out of those 15K, some are still available, and that is what is available to purchase at the Last Chance booth. They did the same thing for the Dark Side races, so I'll use that as my example (I don't think those actually sold out either. And before anyone says so, this doesn't mean that I hate Star Wars, so you don't have to get mad at me :flower3: I just like math and am curious/nosey):

8653 Challenge Bibs in the Dark Side Challenge corral listing
11158 Dark Side Half Marathon Bibs in the Corral listing
= 19811 total half marathon bibs available for this race

How many people actually participated in the Dark Side Half Marathon?
16315 finishers are listed on runDisney's website
283 are listed on the SAG website (people who were swept/picked up)
= 16598. This is my best guess as to how many people actually started the Dark Side Half Marathon (totally possible that I missed a chunk somewhere)

That's 19811 - 16598 = 3213 half marathon bibs that are unaccounted for. One factor that I can't account for (not sure anyone can except for runDiseny themselves) are DNS (did not starts) - i.e. people who bought the bib and didn't start the race. But I doubt 3K people bought bibs and didn't start - I'm sure the number of DNS is higher than in the past since there aren't deferrals anymore, but 3K seems like a lot.

Anyway...this is something I thought was interesting in the Dark Side program, and I think it's smart of them - if the bibs are available, may as well keep on trying to sell up until the last minute to make more money! I think we'll see more of this going forward since the races aren't selling out like they were a year+ ago.

Omg people are starting to find random Tink things popping up at DL today! I thought it was ok to copy this pic from a facebook group.
View attachment 236509

Thanks for sharing that!! Good to know.

Here's my Ursula run costume.
Ursula_zpsvuykwvz5.jpg

Yes, that's a bustier, lol. But I'm only doing a 10k and it was surprisingly comfortable during a test run! Now I just need to sew a pocket into my pants for my phone and I'm done.

Last year Tink didn't sell out either - they cut it off in mid-April.

Going forward, I think they won't cut off any race registration until the night before the actual race in question (in the case of the Tink half, Saturday when the expo closes - maybe it says otherwise in the program and I'm too lazy to look). If you look at the expo map, there's a booth on the lower level called "Last Chance Registration" right next to Runner Relations - I think one could buy a last-minute bib there.

Interesting. I'm not doing Tink this year so I haven't taken a look at the program. Thanks for the info.

I've signed up for a couple of races at the last minute (PDC & DDD last year) and you're definitely right about them printing all of the bib numbers. I was in the right coral for both races and my number was towards the end of the rage for the corral. But there were still quite a few after my number.

I'm signed up for the Half.. I was able to get off work a day early so I'm going to be at DL early friday morning now for the weekend. Does anyone know if they'll let you upgrade to the Challenge at the last minute desk?

I'm signed up for the Half.. I was able to get off work a day early so I'm going to be at DL early friday morning now for the weekend. Does anyone know if they'll let you upgrade to the Challenge at the last minute desk?
Doesn't hurt to ask. If they do, be ready to pay the difference in registration fees + a $45 transfer fee.

Here's the Last Chance information online right now if anyone is wondering. The girl I talked to at Dark Side registered at the expo for the half at the Last Chance table & paid the $12 late fee just like listed below (so online now or at expo is the same). At the very bottom is cutoff times for each race.

Don't Miss Your Last Chance to Register for a Pixie Dust-Filled Weekend!

Feeling feisty? It's not too late to spread your wings and participate in our upcoming Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend presented by PANDORA® Jewelry—Thursday, May 11 to Sunday, May 14, 2017.

Register now for select races through active.com.

There are still a few spots open for the following events:

• Pixie Dust Challenge – Gear up for 2 days of spectacular runs in the ultimate pixie adventure that combines the 13.1-mile Tinker Bell Half Marathon and the 6.2-mile Tinker Bell 10K.
    Cost: $330 plus a $12 late registration fee
  • Tinker Bell Half Marathon presented by PANDORA Jewelry – Fly through 13.1 miles of amazing sights, sounds and experiences hosted by Tinker Bell and her pal Peter Pan.
    Cost: $185 plus a $12 late registration fee
  • Tinker Bell 10K presented by PANDORA Jewelry – Put your inner pixie power on display during this 6.2-mile journey through the Disneyland Resort.
    Cost: $120 plus a $12 late registration fee

Packet Pickup Location: runDisney Health & Fitness Expo at the Disneyland Hotel Exhibit Hall

Expo Times
You can collect your race packet and enjoy the Expo on either of these days:

• Thursday, May 11, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
  • Friday, May 12, 2017 from noon – 8:00 p.m.
  • Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Once you arrive to the Expo, proceed to the Lower Level and look for the area marked "Last Chance Pickup." Here, you'll sign a waiver and receive your race bib. You'll then proceed to the Upper Level for your shirt and gEAR bag. Make sure to bring a valid form of ID to pick up your packet (driver's license, passport, military ID, government issued ID).

Please note:

• Your corral placement will be based on availability and at the discretion of runDisney.
  • We will do our best to fulfill your request, but race shirt size is not guaranteed.
  • Event times, prices and dates subject to change.
  • All races are subject to age eligibility requirements and capacity limits.
  • Registration fees are nonrefundable.
  • Pending availability, Tinker Bell 10K and Pixie Dust Challenge sales will close at 5:00 p.m. (PDT) on Friday, May 12, and Tinker Bell Half Marathon sales will close at 2:00 p.m. (PDT) on Saturday, May 13.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to get from lax to Disneyland resort? I was planning on using the Disneyland express but we land at 4:10 and the next dre bus won't come until 5. I'd like to get to the expo as soon as possible. Thanks!!

Thanks for the info about the expo to those who have posted! I've had good luck going the afternoon of opening day at the ones at WDW but this is my first DL race. Hoping for less-than-one-hour wait for the general merch by the time we get there, but we have all day Friday, too and could go back.

It's almost here!!!

I fly home tomorrow and will be at the expo on Friday. I'm in PIttsburgh for work and now feel giddy because it's like I'm flying in for race weekend - leaving Sunday night for a flight to Myrtle Beach for a management team meeting.

THis is the first time I can say I flew in and out for a Disneyland race!!!! LOL!!

My boss, who knew I requested tomorrow and Friday off from work, scheduled a very important meeting tomorrow morning at 8am, and it would look awful on my part if I didn't show up ... ugh! I was planning on leaving at 4am to start the 6-hour drive and be in the parks by 10 -- now it seems I won't even be able to leave until noon! Will barely make it in time for packet pick-up ... oh well!

Wishing everyone safe travels!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter