******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank everyone! I'm so excited! I'm already planning to take long naps on Sunday so I can stay up with you guys all night! I figure if I'm not one of the lucky ones I can always take the day back off :)
That's what I plan to do as well but I'm horrible at taking a nap so we shall see.

Someone a few pages back suggested that a dv holder call and ask about FD. I called, told them when I would be in Orlando and asked about any discounts. She didn't seem to have a clue. She reminded me of the 10% discount at shops and restaurants, and the free picture at Hollywood Studios, but beyond that, she didn't know of any other discount. Hmmmm
IF DV were to get the promo before everyone else it would probably drop tomorrow. But if I recall correctly, they haven't done an early promo release for DV in the last couple years.

Bigger rooms, queen beds, nicer pool area - lots of reasons to choose mod over value.
Yup, those are our reasons for picking a mod over value. We are a family of 5 (1 under 3) so extra space and bigger beds are important.

I just talked to a CM. It's been 5 years since our last trip so I'm out of the loop a bit.

He mentioned that the monorail resorts have been excluded from FD. Do you think it's likely to happen again?
And what time should I be ready Monday morning? I think I recall 7am for phone lines. Is online earlier?

I have booked FD every year since 2011 and this has not been the case that monorail resorts are excluded.

Quick question looking for advice....

Thinking of booking poly for free dining since its ddp with ts (right now we are at pofq). Should I book now at poly and hope definitely free dining so i can the room type I want or just call in on Monday to do it all at once?

I assume you know that POFQ is almost always excluded from FD so, if you want FD, you're going to be moving anyway. If it were me personally, I'd move to Poly now while inventory is available.

I have no idea what Pop Warner Week is....what is it?

It is a sports competition that is done as ESPN WWOS - brings tons of youth teams and their families to disney for a week

ETA: I think in dec it's cheerleading and football?

Oh dear lord don't tell me that. GS moved heaven and earth to change my check in to 9/30 so I could be lined up to score FD. We are staying at Contemporary... I had no idea monorail resorts got excluded... :faint:
That's incorrect info. My daughter stayed at Contemporary in 2015 and she had free dining. The CM's don't always give out accurate info...somewhat frustrating....but true.

Looking for some feedback from you Disney Pros... our group is 4 adults visiting in November. The plan was to stay at CSR, so we have that booked with a TA and hoping for FD for mods to include the regular plan. If it's true they only have QSDP for mods, my first thought was to stay at POP and update to the regular dining plan. However, I think the beds will be too small and after running the numbers I am considering staying offsite. Anyone ever stayed at Sheraton Vistana? There is a great deal through Costco travel for a 2 bedroom suite. With the estimated cost of food factored in, we would basically break even between that and POP.

So "cons" of staying offsite... (1) not completely immersed in the "Disney Magic" (two of the adults will be their first trip to WDW, though we make annual trips to DL); (2) transportation/parking (thinking of adding a car rental as free shuttle times seem sparse); (3) have to wait until later to make FP+ reservations.

Am I missing anything? If not, just trying to weigh the benefits of a comfy room with 2 bathrooms, kitchen, etc. with the listed cons versus the convenience of being onsite.

We stayed at Sheraton Vistana before. The only problem here is they have many areas. Some are nicer than others. If you check in and it isn't acceptable just complain that is what we did. The one they put us in didn't look anything like the pictures (we had timeshare and had used RCI to exchange.) it was old and had iron spiral staircase. Bedrooms were upstairs and my FIL had a bad hip. The layout we are shown didn't even have stairs at all. But that was always the fear back when we traveled that way. I was always stressed until we checked in and all was okay. It was my inlaws that had. timeshare and they passed so not an option for us anymore. Other than that though never had issue. I would highly recommend Orange Lake or Summer Bay if you can get either of those.

We stayed at Sheraton Vistana before. The only problem here is they have many areas. Some are nicer than others. If you check in and it isn't acceptable just complain that is what we did. The one they put us in didn't look anything like the pictures (we had timeshare and had used RCI to exchange.) it was old and had iron spiral staircase. Bedrooms were upstairs and my FIL had a bad hip. The layout we are shown didn't even have stairs at all. But that was always the fear back when we traveled that way. I was always stressed until we checked in and all was okay. It was my inlaws that had. timeshare and they passed so not an option for us anymore. Other than that though never had issue. I would highly recommend Orange Lake or Summer Bay if you can get either of those.
Great thank you for the info! I will look into those two as well.

It is a sports competition that is done as ESPN WWOS - brings tons of youth teams and their families to disney for a week

ETA: I think in dec it's cheerleading and football?
Oh...thanks....a bit of chaos in the air I assume!

Well...here we go winding down another day, and one day closer to Friday! Do other folks think the info will drop on Friday?

Looking for some feedback from you Disney Pros... our group is 4 adults visiting in November. The plan was to stay at CSR, so we have that booked with a TA and hoping for FD for mods to include the regular plan. If it's true they only have QSDP for mods, my first thought was to stay at POP and update to the regular dining plan. However, I think the beds will be too small and after running the numbers I am considering staying offsite. Anyone ever stayed at Sheraton Vistana? There is a great deal through Costco travel for a 2 bedroom suite. With the estimated cost of food factored in, we would basically break even between that and POP.

So "cons" of staying offsite... (1) not completely immersed in the "Disney Magic" (two of the adults will be their first trip to WDW, though we make annual trips to DL); (2) transportation/parking (thinking of adding a car rental as free shuttle times seem sparse); (3) have to wait until later to make FP+ reservations.

Am I missing anything? If not, just trying to weigh the benefits of a comfy room with 2 bathrooms, kitchen, etc. with the listed cons versus the convenience of being onsite.

And the extra magic hours if you use those

Don't forget extra magic hours- you can only access those if you stay on-site. This will definitely come down to what is more important to you as a group. But a Disney vacation is a Disney vacation and it is sure to be magical :)

I assume you know that POFQ is almost always excluded from FD so, if you want FD, you're going to be moving anyway. If it were me personally, I'd move to Poly now while inventory is available.
still doesn't guarantee anything to change now. Could change, miss out on free dining and then not have a room at POFQ either. It's all a gamble and anyone can do what they want but just because you have a room doesn't mean you're getting free dining

Well...here we go winding down another day, and one day closer to Friday! Do other folks think the info will drop on Friday?

The rumored date is April 24th.
If they drop it for Disney Visa card members prior to general public then perhaps that will happen on Friday.

Yep, same boat here. We were so excited for POR this year. This is one we've never done. We were down in Jan (Kissimmee not Disney) to visit my parent's condo and we made a special trip to the food court to hide a penny for ourselves when we stay in Sep. :( Upgrading from QS to TS will be at least $800. That leaves us considering heading off property or downgrading to Pop. We like Pop and have enjoyed nice big condos in the past, but we were all psyched for POR. I know how whiny this is, but it does stink.

The struggle is real :charac2:

With you on that. We haven't been since 2012. We've stayed in both POR the first two visits and then offsite the last time -- which I didn't care for. I had a special Easter treat delivered to our offsite resort room for my girls the last night of our 2012 trip and it made it. Disney did their job. But the beds were completely stripped, no bedding to be found and it was 1 AM. Funny now but at the time...

My girls are teens now and it's just the three of us on this trip (DH isn't into Disney but he's supportive). We were booked at CSR for September because we'd read about the FD for moderates. I'd been following Disney Tourist Blog (still do, Tom & Sara are great!) and then I found this group and I count myself lucky to be part of such a great group of kind people with the same Disney obsession we have. All week I've been watching the established members help fellow newbies, suggest ways to crunch numbers, trying to sooth nerves, offering support and helpful suggestion. You guys are really great.

You've been a big help to us. The three of us talked and we realized that we just end up showering and sleeping at our hotel, we went ahead and switched to Pop and added an extra day. If we're really lucky and score FD, wonderful! If not, nothing changes. If so, we'll upgrade to TS (not a huge difference in price from staying at a moderate and getting TS free IF that happens). We're planning/hoping on going to MNSSHP and already made our Empress & Mermaid makeover appointments for that day. Why not? If we could score Club Villain tickets that weekend, I'll be a happy girl.

I'd been following Disney Tourist Blog (still do, Tom & Sara are great!) and then I found this group and I count myself lucky to be part of such a great group of kind people with the same Disney obsession we have.
Yes & Yes to both Tom's site and this thread. :thumbsup2

i was wondering this the other day...we only want to do 6 TS meals so we only need 30 TS credits. All buffets and I don't care that a TS credit was used for a child. If I upgraded the child then I have more child TS credits...

and priced out
3 adults one room (kids are 13/16) upgrade to reg dining plan
1 adult 1 k in another
gives us 30 adult TS credits 70 QS
everything with upgrade is $5766

then I was wondering can i do
3 adults one kid one room
1 adult one room at dxdp deluxe upgrade
so 30 TS adult credits and 80 QS credits
$5716

could I do it that way? Just one adult in a room? I would like the rooms with a door between though so might not happen? Seems like a pain lol hubby is like are you nuts haha
So the prices are - QSDP $48.19 for adults and $20.88 for kids (Ages 3-9)
DDP $69.35 for adults and $24.95 for kids (Ages 3-9)
DxDP $106.68 for adults and $38.75 for kids (Ages 3-9)

So to upgrade from QSDP to DDP it's $21.16 for adults / $4.07 child
To upgrade from QSDP to DxDP it's $58.49 for adults / $17.87 child

For 5 nights (1 adult and 1 child on DxDP) = 292.45 + $89.35 = $ 381.80 (30 TS meals)
(1 adult + 2 juniors on QSDP) = no extra cost (30 CS meals)

Either pay out of pocket for the odd child's CS meal or add in a Snack credit and get an extra side to make the meals last longer if you need more food. You should have plenty of snack credits since everyone gets 2 per night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter