• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to go anyway, even if you can't get free dining, you might as well book now. If you can convert it to free dining, GREAT (won't hurt, or help, chance of getting free dining at all). If you can't get free dining, you'll at least have better room choice for your dates.
Right now I'm not sure how many rooms I need to book and based on what I have read on previous free dining threads, if rooms fill up then there is no need to offer discounts and I'm all about the discounts :). Besides, who doesn't enjoy the crazy ride that is free dining :crazy:.

We've never done the DP before, but thinking about trying for FD this year. Question--we're checking into CSR on 9/29. Last year FD blackout dates started 10/2, if they stick close to that this year, and we check in while FD is still going on, with check out 10/6, would we get FD for our entire stay? I understand I'll have to change my room only to a package, just curious about the length
I'm hoping they will have dates that will include some of October if they do offer free dining for the fall. I believe the last day in September to book free dining, based on the BB offer, was 9/9 :scared:. We've been fortunate enough to always go with free dining so we'll see. Pixie dust for us all!! :wizard:

Just joined to hop in this thread. Looking at August 26- September 3rd. Thinking Port Orleans FQ or Caribbean Beach (just hoping for a preferred room). Never have actually used the free dining offer. I'm a Disney Visa cardholder so I'm assuming there's going to be a early release date for us :)
In the past, PORFQ has been excluded from free dining, but CBR is usually available.

Never have actually used the free dining offer. I'm a Disney Visa cardholder so I'm assuming there's going to be a early release date for us :)
Last year, I think Disney Visa cardholders were disappointed because no early release for them & no heads up for them & no perks for their membership. Others can correct me if I'm wrong. Historically, there were early release dates for cardholders in years past but last year was a big unhappy bust for cardholders so something to consider.

Last year (2016), on the DIS Free Dining Watch thread, we had a few days strong heads up that free dining might be released over the coming weekend and there were a few veteran contributors who gave us good odds that it was coming that particular weekend. I was up at 3 or 4am on the Sunday it was released & was about 45mins late to the party. I managed to grab a room at AS Sports & was happy with that. The year before (2015), I knew it had been released in the early a.m. hours on a Monday but waited until my travel agent got into the office at 9:30am. She just managed to grab me a room at POP (but then lost it via a glitch at CAA/AAA then got it back again a week later). So a real roller coaster.

Subscribing to this Free Dining Plan Watch thread is one of the best things you can do to stay in the know. Similar threads have been a huge help to me in years past.

Last year, I think Disney Visa cardholders were disappointed because no early release for them & no heads up for them & no perks for their membership. Others can correct me if I'm wrong. Historically, there were early release dates for cardholders in years past but last year was a big unhappy bust for cardholders so something to consider.

Last year DV cardholders (and Canadians) could book FD as early as Aug. 14. The general public FD offer didn't begin until Aug. 23rd.

Last year DV cardholders (and Canadians) could book FD as early as Aug. 14. The general public FD offer didn't begin until Aug. 23rd.
Looks like we have our wires crossed. My bad if so. I was referring to the booking window opening in the spring for Fall Free Dining. I believe the general release was around mid April last year but no early booking window opened for DV cardholders in the days before the general public FD booking opened.

Looks like we have our wires crossed. My bad if so. I was referring to the booking window opening in the spring for Fall Free Dining. I believe the general release was around mid April last year but no early booking window opened for DV cardholders in the days before the general public FD booking opened.
Oh I see what you're saying. Yep. For sure. Everything dropped on the same day, which added to the craziness.

I don't know what to do! I haven't been to WDW in quite a few years. I can get the Savory Summer Offer for my trip but it still leaves me purchasing a lot of food since it only covers one CS meal per person per night (planning on 10 nights). My dates are near the cut off for the offer so maybe full dining might be offered (I can hope). Went ahead and booked it and hopefully can get free dining later when released.

Last edited:
Something for everyone to be aware of: If you have already booked a package and change it when free dining comes out, you will pay the higher price for tickets that is probably coming tomorrow (2/12). If you don't make any changes, you will still get today's price on your tickets.

Something for everyone to be aware of: If you have already booked a package and change it when free dining comes out, you will pay the higher price for tickets that is probably coming tomorrow (2/12). If you don't make any changes, you will still get today's price on your tickets.
True, but for some the free dining will still be cheaper in the long run. I have a 10 night stay booked. That adds an extra CS meal each and 2 snack credits each per night. Plus the free mug each. That's approx. $50 more in savings per night for me (2 people).

Excited to follow this thread! Hoping FD is available for our dates (Nov 5-10). We are currently booked for two royal rooms at POR, one for DH and DD and the other for my MIL. Hoping to use FD as an excuse to upgrade to a deluxe. Do they offer FD at Wilderness Lodge or Contenporary? We're open to pretty much any deluxe but those would be incredible. I'm a newb to this concept. We'd be modifying an existing reservation so I assume we'd need to call to get both changed over?

Excited to follow this thread! Hoping FD is available for our dates (Nov 5-10). We are currently booked for two royal rooms at POR, one for DH and DD and the other for my MIL. Hoping to use FD as an excuse to upgrade to a deluxe. Do they offer FD at Wilderness Lodge or Contenporary? We're open to pretty much any deluxe but those would be incredible. I'm a newb to this concept. We'd be modifying an existing reservation so I assume we'd need to call to get both changed over?

I don't want to put too much of a damper on your enthusiasm, but last year, free dining didn't come in Nov until Nov 15. That doesn't mean you have no hope, but I don't want you to be too disappointed if they follow suit this year.

In 2015 they didn't release early for visa cardholders either. I know because I am one and was booking for FD and they were available to everyone at the same time.

I don't want to put too much of a damper on your enthusiasm, but last year, free dining didn't come in Nov until Nov 15. That doesn't mean you have no hope, but I don't want you to be too disappointed if they follow suit this year.
That's good to know and honestly FD wasn't really on our radars when we booked so it's not a deal breaker. I'll keep watching and following just in case they decide to offer our dates!

Booked at POP 11/12-19. Hoping for free dining. Looks like last year it started 11/15, so I would be willing to do a split stay...but really, Disney, just offer it for my whole stay, okay?? LOL.

I think they are pretty close. The bounce back does have more dates though. We went in September of 2015 and booked a FD bounce back for June 2016. They had the bounce back for a week at the end of May beginning of June and fall. I think the fall dates were pretty close.

The dates were very limited in the BB this year. We have already booked and bought our tickets, so we are not anticipating it at all. But I still monitor. I am curious to see what if any the dates will be.

We are going 9/5-9/17 and booked at ASSp. Hoping for free dining. I've seen people mention upgrading to regular dining. Can someone explain what that is and how much it would cost per adult? Thanks.

Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter