• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

I figured you guys would be the only ones who would appreciate this...I have decided to make a running attire version of a costume as Rey for the Challenge. It has been hard trying to find the right color running tights to work for the costume - especially since its winter and most are patterned or dark colors right now. I came up with two options, one being Stella McCartney for Addidas in a taupe shade. But, they were sold out everywhere and I think maybe a last season model type deal, and were pretty expensive - over $80. I looked for 2 months and couldn't find them anywhere. Then, I went to my pure barre class (which has approximately half a wall of clothing for purchase) and took a look at their clearance rack. One pair of those exact tights in my size. For $20! I think I squealed with delight. They probably thought I was crazy. But, I don't care. I'm getting excited for my race, dang it!

Thanks everyone...I figured we were out of luck, I forgot to remind him about sending in a time since I had just done Dopey and wasn't ready to start thinking about the next race yet. Oh well...I'll just make him do it with me again next year!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here or not, but for next year (and I'm sure there will be a next year's race) April 16th is Easter. RD usually doesn't vary from what weekend the races are. Do you think they will have the race on Easter weekend?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here or not, but for next year (and I'm sure there will be a next year's race) April 16th is Easter. RD usually doesn't vary from what weekend the races are. Do you think they will have the race on Easter weekend?

They've announced the dates for next year already; April 20-23, 2017 for the Dark Side.

has anyone booked a hotel through rundisney for darkside? was it cheaper or the same as on the regular website? I tried to call but they are already closed for the night

I figured you guys would be the only ones who would appreciate this...I have decided to make a running attire version of a costume as Rey for the Challenge... Then, I went to my pure barre class (which has approximately half a wall of clothing for purchase) and took a look at their clearance rack. One pair of those exact tights in my size. For $20! I think I squealed with delight. They probably thought I was crazy. But, I don't care. I'm getting excited for my race, dang it!

I love this. LOVE IT! Seriously can't wait to see what you come up with for your costumes. :) Btw - been there and done my own squeeling when I found a piece for a costume that worked just perfectly. Let 'em all think we're crazy. ;)

has anyone booked a hotel through rundisney for darkside? was it cheaper or the same as on the regular website? I tried to call but they are already closed for the night

I personally haven't tried this, and I'm basing my response on my memory (which might be faulty)...but I seem to recall a couple of folks in this thread saying that they were unable to book a discounted room through RunDisney for this race.

just registered for this race surprised it wasnt sold out yet. looking forward to it.. is there any info on what the course is?

just registered for this race surprised it wasnt sold out yet. looking forward to it.. is there any info on what the course is?

Race start at EPCOT and finishes at WWOS. Should pass through DHS, but where it goes from there is anyone's guess right now. Best theories on the table are something like a reverse of the W&D half course.

Did you register through a travel provider? Thought the regular registrations had filled up some time ago.

I booked through regular website using the Spring specials, there were no FL resident deals out yet for that time frame and was not a bad deal for the moderate resort.

The original Disney announcement of the race stated the following: "Among its many features will be a unique 13.1-mile course that propels runners through Epcot, Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Disney’s Hollywood Studios and finishes at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex."

That's all we have for now.

Last edited:
Race start at EPCOT and finishes at WWOS. Should pass through DHS, but where it goes from there is anyone's guess right now. Best theories on the table are something like a reverse of the W&D half course.

yeah that sounds like the wine and dine course. it doesnt seem to make sense why it would finish at WWOS parking and busing would cause a lot of logistical issues.

I booked through regular website using the Spring specials, there were no FL resident deals out yet for that time frame and was not a bad deal for the moderate resort.

I personally haven't tried this, and I'm basing my response on my memory (which might be faulty)...but I seem to recall a couple of folks in this thread saying that they were unable to book a discounted room through RunDisney for this race.

I just called and you both are right it wasn't much of a discount it would be better to book through the regular website for me... oh well it was worth a try

I was doing some thinking this morning. I know that we've talked in the past about how we wish they'd do something special for this race (i.e. after party, meet and greets, pasta, etc.). I was wondering if anything like that was done in Disneyland for the Star Wars race, so I checked out the website. It doesn't look like they had anything "special" or "extra" listed for the Light Side race, either. So maybe holding out hope for something getting added to this race is a lost cause.

I don't know how this stuff works, though, being this is my first Disney race. Thoughts?

Star Wars Light Side had no special extras. They did one in 2015 but was poorly reviewed for their pasta in the park party.

What 2016 Light Side did have was a fun photo op in the preshow area, storm troopers walking around. In my trip report for Star Wars Jan 2016, I have my 5K, 10K and first half of the half marathon up if you want to see how that one went.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/mi...2016-half-startup-2-10.3419339/#post-53850115

Thanks everyone...I figured we were out of luck, I forgot to remind him about sending in a time since I had just done Dopey and wasn't ready to start thinking about the next race yet. Oh well...I'll just make him do it with me again next year!

Not sure if this will help...but at the Disney World Marathon this year, we were able to move my friend from Corral N to Corral J at the Expo. She had submitted her time for the Disneyland Half with registration, but somehow it didn't get applied to her corral placement. There were other people in the line at Race Relations doing the same thing...

January miles totaled 39. Pace around 12:30/mile.

Anyone have any idea how the crowds will be during that time? I'm hoping most spring breaks will be over with and it won't be too terrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter