• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

OH drat! Try to take it easy, get lots of rest for that foot, even on your upcoming WDW trip. Arnica can be great to take to promote healing. (it's an herb, but is often taken as a homeopathic preparation, and believe what you will, homeopathy even works in animals and infants, so there's something to it! :))

Thank you! I will look into that. Yes, as much as I don't want to, I'm thinking I may need to consider renting an ECV. We'll see how it goes between now and then. If it comes down to not doing as much while I'm there or risking making it worse, then a scooter it is!

Thank you! I will look into that. Yes, as much as I don't want to, I'm thinking I may need to consider renting an ECV. We'll see how it goes between now and then. If it comes down to not doing as much while I'm there or risking making it worse, then a scooter it is!

I second the Arnica recommendation! I use Arnica cream for dang near everything - it helps alleviate bruises, it provides joint relief and it helps tired/sore muscles. It even helps with swelling. I mean, it's pretty magical.

But also - make sure you take it easy at WDW. I'm really happy you're thinking about renting an ECV. You only get one set of feet - and a stress fracture in your foot is SERIOUSLY nothing to take lightly. And even if you're in super model/elite athlete shape, those babies take the brunt of everything you do every day.

If it doesn't heal properly, it can ultimately affect your whole body as the rest of your musculature tries to overcompensate for the pain associated with bearing proper weight on that foot. Especially since you've already had some knee issues, it's a slippery slope for a stress fracture in your foot to cause ankle, knee and even hip problems.

I don't mean to scare you or sound extreme in any way - but as someone who has dealt with the residual effects of foot-caused injuries all my life, I just want to make sure you're good to go for the long haul!!

I second the Arnica recommendation! I use Arnica cream for dang near everything - it helps alleviate bruises, it provides joint relief and it helps tired/sore muscles. It even helps with swelling. I mean, it's pretty magical.

But also - make sure you take it easy at WDW. I'm really happy you're thinking about renting an ECV. You only get one set of feet - and a stress fracture in your foot is SERIOUSLY nothing to take lightly. And even if you're in super model/elite athlete shape, those babies take the brunt of everything you do every day.

If it doesn't heal properly, it can ultimately affect your whole body as the rest of your musculature tries to overcompensate for the pain associated with bearing proper weight on that foot. Especially since you've already had some knee issues, it's a slippery slope for a stress fracture in your foot to cause ankle, knee and even hip problems.

I don't mean to scare you or sound extreme in any way - but as someone who has dealt with the residual effects of foot-caused injuries all my life, I just want to make sure you're good to go for the long haul!!

Thank you I appreciate the advice! I am not in excellent shape at all, so I need to be even more careful. I am a former college athlete who in the course of the last 13 years has had 7 knee surgeries (on the same knee). So needless to say my legs/hips/back get all out of whack quite easily. My "good" leg is significantly stronger than my right. And the left foot wears out shoes quicker, pants drag the ground, etc. I'm slightly "uneven" from so much limping. So this foot issue is on the left foot (good leg). My right leg is so sore today from the boot being on the other leg, and I didn't do much at all. So if anything I guess it's good that this will make my right leg a little stronger! Ha. I had just started trying to build up strength in the right leg to hopefully eventually get them evened out. And I've been seeing a chiropractor to try and help with the alignment of my legs/hips.

I will definitely try the arnica. Sounds great. I do think an ECV is going to be necessary. I had to use one on a WDW trip in 2013 following my last knee surgery, so I'm at least familiar with them and know what to expect there. Throughout all of the surgeries my weight has gone up and down so much. It's up now and I'm trying really hard to get back to where I want to be. 30 lbs down so far and a good bit more to go. But I will get there...stress fracture or not! It's hard though to have that athlete mentality and my body not be capable of the things it once was. Sigh.

Again, thanks for the tips and advice!

Thank you I appreciate the advice! I am not in excellent shape at all, so I need to be even more careful. I am a former college athlete who in the course of the last 13 years has had 7 knee surgeries (on the same knee). So needless to say my legs/hips/back get all out of whack quite easily. My "good" leg is significantly stronger than my right. And the left foot wears out shoes quicker, pants drag the ground, etc. I'm slightly "uneven" from so much limping. So this foot issue is on the left foot (good leg). My right leg is so sore today from the boot being on the other leg, and I didn't do much at all. So if anything I guess it's good that this will make my right leg a little stronger! Ha. I had just started trying to build up strength in the right leg to hopefully eventually get them evened out. And I've been seeing a chiropractor to try and help with the alignment of my legs/hips.

I will definitely try the arnica. Sounds great. I do think an ECV is going to be necessary. I had to use one on a WDW trip in 2013 following my last knee surgery, so I'm at least familiar with them and know what to expect there. Throughout all of the surgeries my weight has gone up and down so much. It's up now and I'm trying really hard to get back to where I want to be. 30 lbs down so far and a good bit more to go. But I will get there...stress fracture or not! It's hard though to have that athlete mentality and my body not be capable of the things it once was. Sigh.

Again, thanks for the tips and advice!

I'm SO with you, girl. I'm uneven, I have severe muscle atrophy in my left calf, I get the whole pants leg thing. All of it.

It seems like your spirits are high, though! So keep thinking of the goal. You'll be there in no time!

Throughout all of the surgeries my weight has gone up and down so much. It's up now and I'm trying really hard to get back to where I want to be. 30 lbs down so far and a good bit more to go.

Congrats on the weight loss so far! I'm so sorry you've had the setback with the stress fracture. :crutches: Take good care of yourself!

I'm SO with you, girl. I'm uneven, I have severe muscle atrophy in my left calf, I get the whole pants leg thing. All of it.

It seems like your spirits are high, though! So keep thinking of the goal. You'll be there in no time!

It's nice to know someone gets it! Even though at the same time I wish no one did! Sorry you have to deal with similar stuff! It's a mess. I have so many motivating factors right now! Thanks for the encouragement!

Howdy everyone! Joining in on the fun, and crossing my fingers that my sisters-in-law and I get registered for the PHM!! There were 4 of us, but we're down to 3 since one of us got pregnant and she's due in mid-January. We've all been running races together since early this year, and did our first 10K with 12/minute miles. Also booked AoA for the 6 of us (includes our hubbies to come and cheer us on) just in case. Although, my DH is pretty upset he can't run with us...maybe I'll sign him up the 5K as a surprise :)

Getting really anxious about the registration process tho, and I see I'm not the only one! I'm a DVC member so can register early (fingers crossed)...so is there a link via the DVC website or do I go in through runDisney? Plus, I'm guessing that I won't be able to register anyone else in my party since they're not DVCers, correct?

So happy I found this thread!!!

Why can't he run with you?

Why can't he run with you?
He definitely could and would, but his brothers are sitting it out, and he doesn't want to be seen "crashing" our girl thing, I told him if he wanted to and could get in that he should...I was thinking about signing us up for the 5K, that way he could still do a run that weekend. He's kept me motivated and really wants to do a Disney 1/2, who knows he might not care and sign himself up anyway - lol!

There will be a link on the DVC website. It usually goes live a couple of minutes before noon. Once you're logged in go to "member experiences" then "special offers". Then select "early entry to runDisney events" -- when it's live, a link will be available from that page.
Thank you!! This is super helpful!

Good afternoon all. It is now time to make my way over to this thread.

My DD and her BF did the Royal Family 5K a couple of years ago. They did the half with me this past January. Now she told me that she wants to do the GSC in 2016. I told her that I would run it with her. We were talking about the possibility of costumes and I would also wear what ever costumes she wanted to do that weekend.

I expect DD to design a full length dress, tutu, wings, lacey arm sleeves and who knows what else.

So my question to y'all is, what material would be good to either make or buy the outfit my DD decides on that I would wear and be very breathable?

I really want to run this race! I had signed up for the Tinkerbell half marathon and that was going to be my first race. I trained for about 7 months and it helped me go from a non runner to someone who actually enjoyed it and it helped me lose the last twenty pounds of the baby weight. Unfortunately, I had food poisoning and I spent race day in the urgent care in Anaheim. All that work and money to spend marathon day curled up in a ball in the hotel room! I missed my daughter meeting Mickey for the first time too! We had been talking about a trip to Disney World in 2016 so I figure why not line it up with the Princess Half?

Good afternoon all. It is now time to make my way over to this thread.

My DD and her BF did the Royal Family 5K a couple of years ago. They did the half with me this past January. Now she told me that she wants to do the GSC in 2016. I told her that I would run it with her. We were talking about the possibility of costumes and I would also wear what ever costumes she wanted to do that weekend.

I expect DD to design a full length dress, tutu, wings, lacey arm sleeves and who knows what else.

So my question to y'all is, what material would be good to either make or buy the outfit my DD decides on that I would wear and be very breathable?
That's awesome!

Hmm...I know my running skirts are spandex (4-way or 2-way stretch). They re pretty comfy to run in.

Tech fabric. Only. They make it in all sorts of colors. Not sure where to get it, but start looking online! :)

Tech fabric. Only. They make it in all sorts of colors. Not sure where to get it, but start looking online! :)

I agree with this! Looking cute is important, but comfort is key. I bought spandex at Joanns to make costumes for last princess weekend. There are a lot of options online too.

Make sure that the basic costume is light and cool. You can always add layers if it is cold. Also, make sure that you try out the costumes on practice runs before the event.

Google Run Disney costumes and you will find all kinds of inspiration photos.

I am going to be wearing my normal running shorts and shirt under the outfit she decides on.

The Royal Family 5K DD ran there was a runner that had a full white gown with everything on you could think of. We didn't know it was a guy until he turned around and had a thick black beard. I do not grow a beard well so never did one.

Thanks HockeyMom. Going to search the Run Disney costumes later this evening.

Honestly, I have seen a lot of costumes where people just coordinate colors with characters. For example, you can wear a light blue running skirt (or even shorts or pants), tank and headband and you're Cinderella! Cheap, easy, comfortable, and you can re-use it.

Hello all! New to disney races and this will be my first race longer than a 5K! My friend and I are planning to do GSC + 5K, and I am so excited! I started training in Mar, because in the words of Baymax, I am not fast. But I'm getting better with each run. I look at trip reports and photos of this years race, and it looks like too much fun to pass up. Although I'm afraid of not being able to register, and balloon ladies, lol.

Do you think we'll be able to purchase merchandise after registering? The initial $400 race cost is already going to be a sticker shock, so I'll need some recovery time before I start buying all the merchandise. :)

For adults you can go back in and order. Doesn't seem to work for kids registered under adult Active.com accounts. (based on the Star Wars thread)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter