• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Im finding that I can breathe pretty ok (surprisingly) but my right ankle/foot seems to hurt half way through the run. Not sure what to do about that.

Definitely get yourself fitted for shoes. If there's a Road Runner sports in your area, go there.

Also, I wouldn't have survived any of this running stuff if it weren't for my chiropractor who also knows how to manipulate the non-spinal joints as well. He routinely checks my knees and feet (even toes) to make sure I'm ALL in alignment.

My dad is a runner and planning on getting me a new pair. I REALLY want a minnie pair lol

Try them on. Don't anticipate that they will work for your running. They are NOT for every foot. A cute shoe that hurts you is not cute.

thats terrible news! is there a similar pair to try on at a regular running store, to see how they feel?
They'll say what model they are - they are always New Balance shoes. Once they say the model number you can go to a New Balance store to try them on. I didn't do that. :(

I hope so, because right now it seems impossible to run longer than a minute at a time...although i did run for 2 minutes straight today. I'm embarrassed to even say that out loud to group of runners, but its true.

Nothing embarrassing about that at all! I've never run more than 2-3 minutes straight. I did my first GSC with 30sec/30sec and my second with 15sec/15sec!

Definitely get yourself fitted for shoes. If there's a Road Runner sports in your area, go there.

Also, I wouldn't have survived any of this running stuff if it weren't for my chiropractor who also knows how to manipulate the non-spinal joints as well. He routinely checks my knees and feet (even toes) to make sure I'm ALL in alignment.

Try them on. Don't anticipate that they will work for your running. They are NOT for every foot. A cute shoe that hurts you is not cute.
chiros scare me..but i def think one would be helpful now. Im not huge, but def on the bigger side. My poor feet are getting a beating!

They'll say what model they are - they are always New Balance shoes. Once they say the model number you can go to a New Balance store to try them on. I didn't do that. :(
I'm so sorry, that must have been such a bummer!

Nothing embarrassing about that at all! I've never run more than 2-3 minutes straight. I did my first GSC with 30sec/30sec and my second with 15sec/15sec!
ok, not to sound dumb, but does 30/30 mean you ran 30 seconds, walked 30? if so, how were you able to do the GSC? impressive! and thank you for the encouragement!

ok, not to sound dumb, but does 30/30 mean you ran 30 seconds, walked 30? if so, how were you able to do the GSC? impressive! and thank you for the encouragement!

It does indeed, and she did it the second time with 15 seconds of running 15 seconds of walking. Most Galloway'ers have a beeping timer on their watches or there's a clip on timer that beeps. For some reason I can't hear my own watch but I hear other peoples'; I really need to get a clipon so I can do my ratio better. You just follow the beeps; walk, run, walk, run. Repeat through the whole race (and in keahgirl's case, repeat for both races in the Glass Slipper Challenge!).

I ran for a bit once, at a local race, with women doing a 1 min/1 min ratio. It was neat to see how they had trained specifically with that, because they walked *much* more leisurely than my walk breaks, and then they just shot out of the gate each time they got to their minute of running. I could NOT keep up with them!

Don't let chiro scare you. It's awesome. Find a good, gentle one, who will really listen to you and your body. I personally like the more "out there" types of chiro, so I would recommend looking for people who do either Network Spinal Analysis or BGI (Bio Geometric Integration). Then see if they do manipulation of non-spinal joints (bonus if they themselves are runners or at least athletes...my friend and chiro is a Crossfitter, so he doesn't run much and think I'm foolish for it...that's OK, I think his box jumps are the definition of insanity, LOL...but we're both shooting for fitness so we understand it in each other).

I should give full disclosure...I have been under chiro care since I was 16 (I'm now 45), and I myself was a chiro. I was ill-suited to being my own boss or a business owner, and my business folded after 5 years, but the knowledge from my schooling and the expansion of my understanding of true health have served me and my family well since then. :)

I've ran several half marathons using the 30/30 intervals. Right now I'm doing 45/30 with hopes of getting to 1/30 before GSC. I'm a leisurely walker :tiptoe: but my pace speeds up a good bit during the running interval. My overall half times have gotten better every time. My goal for the first half was just to finish. Once I realized I could do the miles, I now try and beat my time from the previous run. Running is definitely a mind game!! Your mind gives up way before your body does!! Seven months is a long time to train!!

Anyone looking for a TA?
I have one with some bibs available!
But I am already registered with someone else.

chiros scare me..but i def think one would be helpful now. Im not huge, but def on the bigger side. My poor feet are getting a beating!

I'm so sorry, that must have been such a bummer!

It was. But at least now I know they don't work for me!

Also, wanted to show you this - Jeff Galloway posting about the intervals he used to run a Boston Qualifier in 2013! Pretty cool.

image.jpg

My first post ever on DisBoards!

Writing to say hello and perhaps get some encouragement. This will be my first half and my first trip to Disney ever!

I'm currently running 3 days per week, 2-3 miles each time. Although I have plenty of time to train, I'm still nervous that I may get injured between now and then (I've had mild plantar fasciitis in the past). Feeling like a crazy lady planning such a big event so far in advance! Has anyone else done the Princess Half as their very first half? Also, does anyone have cross-training that they recommend for off days? Yoga? Pilates? Ideally, I'd like to find something video-based that I can do easily at home.

Looking forward to chatting with you all! Looks like there is a lot of experienced runners here --- thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

Writing to say hello and perhaps get some encouragement. This will be my first half and my first trip to Disney ever!

I'm currently running 3 days per week, 2-3 miles each time. Although I have plenty of time to train, I'm still nervous that I may get injured between now and then (I've had mild plantar fasciitis in the past). Feeling like a crazy lady planning such a big event so far in advance! Has anyone else done the Princess Half as their very first half? Also, does anyone have cross-training that they recommend for off days? Yoga? Pilates? Ideally, I'd like to find something video-based that I can do easily at home.

Looking forward to chatting with you all! Looks like there is a lot of experienced runners here --- thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!
Welcome!! :wave:

Princess Half was my first-ever half marathon, back in 2011 (I have a report in my signature if you want to read it). :) It's a GREAT first half marathon, I had a blast. Just warning you that you very well may get addicted to runDisney...

For cross-training, I do 2 days of TRX Suspension classes (or some other kind of strength/core training) and one yoga class each week. I'd like to fit in some more yoga, just don't have the time.

To all of my fellow runners JetBlue opened up flights today. Altho their website has been having issues, I was able to book via GoogleFlights. I got BOS-MCO Feb18-28 for $1040.80 for 4 people nonstop roundtrip on JetBlue. :)

Princess Half was my first in 2011. I agree with @Ariel484 about getting addicted!! So much fun!!

I think with intervals too it's about finding what works for you. I trained for the 10K at 1:30/1 so 1 1/2 minutes running to 1 minute of walking. When I got back from Princess weekend in Feb I decreased my walk break to 30 seconds because I realized it was really slowing me down. I've improved my pace by a minute per mile with that. I had hoped to get to a 12mm pace for W&D so we'll see if I get there. But what my point was, was that you'll find an interval that works for you. So even if it seems tough right now, just hang in there, because once you get through this you can find your comfort zone for training. And I think that comfort zone is fluid as we improve as runners.

And for the 10K if you follow the training plan on the runDisney site you will be ready to run it! You just have to make sure you are training below a 16mm pace.

I need to try the 30-second walk breaks again sometime. I tried running 2:00/walking 30 seconds sometime last fall and though I was going to die...and I've only ever tried 30/30 on the treadmill, which was a pain. Right now I'm doing run 4:00/walk 1:00 (sometimes dropping the 4 minutes down to 3 minutes).
To all of my fellow runners JetBlue opened up flights today. Altho their website has been having issues, I was able to book via GoogleFlights. I got BOS-MCO Feb18-28 for $1040.80 for 4 people nonstop roundtrip on JetBlue. :)
I wish we had JetBlue at my airport! I hear such great things about them. :(

I booked my outgoing flight on Southwest for $142, which I'm pretty happy with...but the ones coming back are over $250! So I'll be checking those daily...

:welcome:

I have been trying to increase my general fitness level, hoping it will help my running as well, but am also looking for ideas of what to do on my off running days. There is a wealth of knowledge in this group so enjoy! Good luck with your training!

Thanks for the heads up. My sister and I booked our flights and got just the itinerary we wanted. :hyper2: Arrive early on Thursday and leave late on Monday (she's a teacher and can't miss another day of school). She's a big Jet Blue fan so she was happy. Got pretty good seats near the front of the plane, too.

Now we just have to make sure we get into the race on Tuesday! :worried:

Cross training that I do that helps me is Trx Suspension Training, Spin Class ( for the endurance, cardio )I am lucky my instructor is a BMX coach so she makes my workouts with my running schedule, pilates will train your breath and core, plus weight training. Cross training is important , so if you can fine some classes it is easier to push yourself a little more. I know I am no help on videos. I have a stress fracture on my foot right now, wore the wrong shoes in a race that was on gravel roads thought it was a road race. I will never make that mistake again I will ask about the surface if going somewhere new. I am wrapping my foot with Vet Wrap for support working well I'm going to the Disneyland to do the DDD in September. This darn foot will be OK! Ice baths feel great after my long runs. You will love the Disney runs I started with Tinkerbell I am hooked.

Thanks for the heads up. My sister and I booked our flights and got just the itinerary we wanted. :hyper2: Arrive early on Thursday and leave late on Monday (she's a teacher and can't miss another day of school). She's a big Jet Blue fan so she was happy. Got pretty good seats near the front of the plane, too.

Now we just have to make sure we get into the race on Tuesday! :worried:
That is great! We got row 7 so we are happy with that! Good luck on Tuesday!

Wow, for some reason I haven't been seeing any notifications for this thread and I had 14 fun pages to read through during my afternoon Diet Coke break! :drinking1 I love all of the friendly support found in this group! Basically just wanted to say thanks for the pixie dust and smiles you all brought to my day! :tinker::flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter