• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Sorry my previous reply posted twice-- not sure how that happened! Anyway, on my run today I discovered something new to listen to that combines an audiobook and music. The soundtrack to the new Broadway musical Hamilton is AMAZING! It's the story of Alexander Hamilton reinvented as a hip hop immigrant story, and seriously it is brilliant. Since the play is mostly sung, you get the whole story by listening to the soundtrack. I suppose you all may not love musicals like I do, but I thought I would pass it along just in case. ;)

Im getting my training calendar ready for next week when training officially starts!

I've been running here and there with no plan in particular. Trying to see what run/walk ratio works for me.

I'm looking at Jeff Galloway and Hal Higdon plans. Galloway has 30-45 runs during the week and one long run on weekends and Higdon had more mileage during the week plus a long run. I'm going to be doing my T25 2x weekly for cross training.

I guess I'm nervous about being to complete my long runs as they get longer without increasing my during the week miles too. Can anyone give any insight?

Im getting my training calendar ready for next week when training officially starts!

I've been running here and there with no plan in particular. Trying to see what run/walk ratio works for me.

I'm looking at Jeff Galloway and Hal Higdon plans. Galloway has 30-45 runs during the week and one long run on weekends and Higdon had more mileage during the week plus a long run. I'm going to be doing my T25 2x weekly for cross training.

I guess I'm nervous about being to complete my long runs as they get longer without increasing my during the week miles too. Can anyone give any insight?

Not sure what "run here and there" means, but personally I run 3 times a week and do six miles each run. Now that the race is just over 3 months out I will start adding a mile each week to one of my runs. As the miles build to 10 then I will cut back to 8 miles the following week and then back up to 11 miles. Unless you are looking to run a fast race 10 miles is as long a LR you need. I also cross train 3 days a week and will adjust the intensity of those workouts on how I feel. Usually day after LR I take off or do yoga.

I am no expert, but try and listen to my body. I do like to stay ahead of what ever training plan I use just in case I get a cold or something comes up. I have used Hal Higdon plans and combinations of others as well. The LR are important. Hope that helps. I am sure others will share there experiences.

I have done the Hal Higdon plan 4 times and I liked it and felt very prepared for race day. In that plan, I ran 4 days a week: 2 short runs, 1 "medium" run (like 5-6 miles), and one long run. Last year and this summer, I just did my own thing, whatever I could fit in. Usually it was 2-3 miles, 3 times a week and one long run. This time, I am going with Galloway which for me will be 2 times running 4-5 miles each and then a long run. I hope that is enough! I agree with PP that listening to your body is so important!! In the end, being consistent in getting out there and gradually increasing your mileage will be good I think.

I also have been running three days a week. I typically do 3-4 miles on Tuesday, 35 mins interval run on Thursday, and then a long run on the weekend. Every third or fourth week I do a shorter weekend run to rest. I also do a cross training work out on my off nights twice a week.

I think that this will have to be my last week of outside running during the week since it is getting pretty dark in the evenings so I will be doing my week day runs inside. I'm also planning to up my days to four days a week by adding a second, shorter weekend run. I want to start getting my body used to back-to-back days which I have never done before.

I live in WI and as you can imagine it’s starting to get cool here and lately very windy. I was thinking of getting some kind of wind and/or rain resistant jacket. Anyone have any suggestion of ones they like or where to find one? Is what I could find at Target or a dept. store just fine or is it a better idea to go to a sporting goods or running store? Our local Target ad has ones listed as wind resistant and waterproof on sale this week, wondering if that will work just fine or should I look into something better? TIA!

Y'all are impressing me with how active you are! My cross training consists of walking, yoga and pilates. That's about it! I am trying to get back to weights but problems with the muscles in my rotator cuff has made it difficult. Now that my son is starting swim team at the Y and will be practicing twice a week, I guess I could get in more weight time or more walking time.

I'm working hard on eating the right foods for training. I'm not a breakfast eater but I've come to realize that I need something with protein before I run so peanut butter sandwiches it is.

Sorry my previous reply posted twice-- not sure how that happened! Anyway, on my run today I discovered something new to listen to that combines an audiobook and music. The soundtrack to the new Broadway musical Hamilton is AMAZING! It's the story of Alexander Hamilton reinvented as a hip hop immigrant story, and seriously it is brilliant. Since the play is mostly sung, you get the whole story by listening to the soundtrack. I suppose you all may not love musicals like I do, but I thought I would pass it along just in case. ;)

LOVE "Hamilton". Leslie Odom Jr. is amazing. It would have won the Tony if they'd moved it to Broadway in time for this season (I wasn't a fan of "Fun Home"). If you like showtunes/Broadway, definitely check out "Something Rotten!" as well - it's a fun one. "In the Heights" is another show by Lin-Manuel Miranda and it has an unbeat score as well!

LOVE "Hamilton". Leslie Odom Jr. is amazing. It would have won the Tony if they'd moved it to Broadway in time for this season (I wasn't a fan of "Fun Home"). If you like showtunes/Broadway, definitely check out "Something Rotten!" as well - it's a fun one. "In the Heights" is another show by Lin-Manuel Miranda and it has an unbeat score as well!

Oh I didn't know that about the Tony Awards! Will it be eligible next year? I would imagine it would blow everything else away with how popular it is! I will have to check out Something Rotten, thanks for the tip! And I do love In the Heights- that has been on my "run- musicals" playlist for years! ;)

Last edited:

I don't really have an insight, other than the fact that it works. I follow Galloway pretty much to the letter, incorporating strength training and yoga on the days in between.

The soundtrack to the new Broadway musical Hamilton is AMAZING! It's the story of Alexander Hamilton reinvented as a hip hop immigrant story, and seriously it is brilliant.

I'll admit I'm not that into musicals and apparently my history-info is a little lacking, and now we've looked it up and read reviews and all that and I BELIEVE you (and Keels), but....I gotta admit, DH and I thought you were pulling our legs with that description.

:o:duck::flower3:

Does anyone have a surefire cure for charley horses? The one that struck me at 2:30 this morning is still gripping my calf and no amount of stretching, icing, advil or drinking water is relieving it. I swear it is tight all the way to my butt!

I did my POT 10k yesterday, and thanks to my awesome coach (and husband who is also doing the PHM with me) I made all kinds of PR's!! Fastest mile, fastest 5k and fastest 1k @ 1:21:58!

I had been hoping to do better than the Epic Fail this past Spring (which was 1:31) and be under 1:27 (hoping for 1:25) so I am really pleased!

I'm hoping for coral placement of H,I,J, K ish so I have some cushion. Crossing all my fingers and toes!

Does anyone have a surefire cure for charley horses? The one that struck me at 2:30 this morning is still gripping my calf and no amount of stretching, icing, advil or drinking water is relieving it. I swear it is tight all the way to my butt!
My Chiro released mine by extreme pressure at the trigger point. Extreme as in to the point of pain but it definitely worked.

He advises heat rather than ice to relax the muscle and then go for the massive stretch via pressure.

Bananas also help me + a warm bath + pigeon pose also help

I so want to see this musical so I'll have to wait until after to download the soundtrack. Now to wait for a deal. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter