Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

I guess this means I get to shop a little more! I'm also planning to pack things I don't mind tossing... an older running jacket in case it warms up, fingereless mitts that are still covered in powder from run or dye two years ago...

I'm not into the costumes either but going with a theme... all pink for Sleeping Beauty or all red for Minnie Mouse. And a tiara. I can't go without a tiara.

Congratulations!!! So much excitement going on!! Have you set a date for your wedding?

Yep! April 15th. We originally wanted April 29th since that's two months after we get back from WDW, and two months from his older brother's wedding, but the 15th was the only date our venue was available in the month of April, so we snagged the 15th instead. At least I know he'll never forget the date! LOL

I guess this means I get to shop a little more! I'm also planning to pack things I don't mind tossing... an older running jacket in case it warms up, fingereless mitts that are still covered in powder from run or dye two years ago...

I'm not into the costumes either but going with a theme... all pink for Sleeping Beauty or all red for Minnie Mouse. And a tiara. I can't go without a tiara.

That's kind of what I do. I just pick something special I feel cute in. I have to be comfortable when I run. Plus, I spend so much on that trip, I don't really want to spend more on a costume.

Yeah, look around your house for clothes you don't want anymore, or make a trip to Goodwill to get some clothes to toss. I'd already recommend bringing good running clothes that you can layer in case the entire race ends up being cold - like, pick your cute outfit out but then also bring a long-sleeved running top in case you need to wear that under your cute top. Doing that saved me in January (woohoo over-packing). :confused3
That's kind of what I do. I just pick something special I feel cute in. I have to be comfortable when I run. Plus, I spend so much on that trip, I don't really want to spend more on a costume.
This is where I am too. For Disneyland I bought a shirt and ears specifically for one of the races, and another top for another race. And a few crafty items to make some stuff. Now that I think about it, the stuff I bought probably totaled in the $75-$100 range...which is sort of nuts to me. :confused: I think I'm just gonna wear what I already have from now on.

Yep! April 15th. We originally wanted April 29th since that's two months after we get back from WDW, and two months from his older brother's wedding, but the 15th was the only date our venue was available in the month of April, so we snagged the 15th instead. At least I know he'll never forget the date! LOL

Hope you don't have any accountants in your family. :)

I have yet to ditch clothes. But a friend of mine has a lovely thing he does (since races gather the clothing and donate it). He actually buys NEW sweats to keep warm before the start, leaves the tags on, and just before the start of a race he takes them off and folds them nicely to leave. That way someone gets new, barely used, clothes.

I started the Jeff Galloway training plan for the 10k a few weeks early. I can easily do 2 miles, if not 2.5 miles on the 30 minute days. The long runs on the weekends start at 1.5 miles. Should I keep at my normal pace, or go down to what the plan recommends?

I started the Jeff Galloway training plan for the 10k a few weeks early. I can easily do 2 miles, if not 2.5 miles on the 30 minute days. The long runs on the weekends start at 1.5 miles. Should I keep at my normal pace, or go down to what the plan recommends?
How many days per week are you running right now? What's your weekly mileage like? :)

I have a question along that same line.

I run for 30 minutes three times a week - 2.5 miles each run. That's my regular workout. I need to up my distance as I prepare for the Princess and Tink 10Ks.

Do I keep my 30 minute running and then add on alternating run-walks to get to the distance? Or, should I begin with alternating run/walks? I don't want to undo what I already do endurance-wise but I'd love some suggestions on the best way to increase my distance.

I have a question along that same line.

I run for 30 minutes three times a week - 2.5 miles each run. That's my regular workout. I need to up my distance as I prepare for the Princess and Tink 10Ks.

Do I keep my 30 minute running and then add on alternating run-walks to get to the distance? Or, should I begin with alternating run/walks? I don't want to undo what I already do endurance-wise but I'd love some suggestions on the best way to increase my distance.
You could try the Galloway 10K plan for Princess...it starts on October 27: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/run...016/princess-half-marathon/Princess16_10K.pdf

Maybe keep your runs at 30 minutes/30 minutes/30 minutes for the first few weeks and then follow the plan's increases starting on 11/28?

Edited because I can read, really! :)

Last edited:
Right now 4 days a week, usually 2-4 miles each run (just depends on how I'm feeling/how much time I have)
Do you want to keep running 4 days per week? I think either way you'd be fine - you could just slowly increase one of your runs until you're doing a 6- or 7-miler...or just go with Galloway's plan. Or maybe look for a different 10K plan to try? Galloway actually has a 10K plan on his site that's a little different than the rD plan: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k10kschedules/

Hope you don't have any accountants in your family. :)

I have yet to ditch clothes. But a friend of mine has a lovely thing he does (since races gather the clothing and donate it). He actually buys NEW sweats to keep warm before the start, leaves the tags on, and just before the start of a race he takes them off and folds them nicely to leave. That way someone gets new, barely used, clothes.
What a sweet thing to do!

I used to do this too. I bought all kinds of discount sweats and fleece for Disney on Ice in 2010, wore them once, and left them for someone else to have. Now, I bring along the pajamas they hand out on long-haul international flights and leave those behind at the start.

Do you want to keep running 4 days per week? I think either way you'd be fine - you could just slowly increase one of your runs until you're doing a 6- or 7-miler...or just go with Galloway's plan. Or maybe look for a different 10K plan to try? Galloway actually has a 10K plan on his site that's a little different than the rD plan: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k10kschedules/

Thanks for responding! I think I will stick with the principle of Galloways plan, maybe just modify it a little. I don't want to slip back so I'm going to keep up where I am and go from there. If it's only 1.5 miles, I am going to do 2, and so on. I like 4 days a week, but I like the ability to modify if I need to. So basically I'm just going to wing it, but say I'm following his plan and cross my fingers come race day ;)

Newbee here to all the goings on, so please bare with me. First, I love the idea of "throwaways" as during many of the obstacle runs my son and I do we leave our sneakers to be cleansed and donated. I've already started picking up warmer clothing for the wee, chilly hours to shed along the way. But on a different note, wondering how the "Ever After Party" works. Has anyone gone, what goes on, what should we expect to see, do, and bring?

New Balance is having a sale! 15% off off orders over $99 & free shipping! Those two pairs of sneakers that were sitting in my cart....may very well be mine now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter