Official 2016 Dopey Challenge Thread

So, I just ordered this:

11178113_1166339896725304_5154020345407282068_n.jpg

I'm in for my first Dopey! I did the marathon in 2013 - super excited to be running in Disney again! When I registered today - I was not asked for a proof of time, it just asked if I thought I would finish the marathon in under 6.5 hours. Is this something I will send in later or did I miss something? Thanks!

I'm in for my first Dopey! I did the marathon in 2013 - super excited to be running in Disney again! When I registered today - I was not asked for a proof of time, it just asked if I thought I would finish the marathon in under 6.5 hours. Is this something I will send in later or did I miss something? Thanks!
Yeah they changed the way they do it,now there's going to be a date that you can start sending them your proof of time.

What plan is everyone going to go with?

I think I'm going to use Higdon - with my immediate and current focus being getting to the time I want in a half at DLH. That will end up being my PoT for Dopey. Originally, I didn't plan on trying to PR at Disneyland, but I think since the course has very little in-park experience, I won't be missing much by trying to go for a good time.

Anyway. That's my plan!

I think I'm going to use Higdon - with my immediate and current focus being getting to the time I want in a half at DLH. That will end up being my PoT for Dopey. Originally, I didn't plan on trying to PR at Disneyland, but I think since the course has very little in-park experience, I won't be missing much by trying to go for a good time.

Anyway. That's my plan!
I build my own custom plan - running 6 days/week. I'll build up to somewhere between 50-60 miles/week this time. But I just raced in a half marathon on Sunday and my long run hit 18 miles 3 weeks ago, so for me it is going to be about keeping running fun while logging lots of miles this summer. I won't race again until the Dopey.

Anyway. That's my plan!

It's a BOLD strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for her.

Keels, I've always supported everything you do.....the races, the bling displays, your decision to run Dopey 2018, the Dole Whip addiction......

but a PR at DL is a very interesting decision. I hope there will be enough distractions in the park, around the stadium, the classic cars, character photo ops and such that busting my rear to get a PR will be the furthest thought in my head. I believe I had not one, not two, not even three, but FOUR....I repeat FOUR PW's at Dopey. That's personal worsts but I still had the best time doing it. Not telling you what to do, but would gladly help you find one of those boring flat half marathons that you can PR so that you don't have that kind of pressure at DL.

It's a BOLD strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for her.

Keels, I've always supported everything you do.....the races, the bling displays, your decision to run Dopey 2018, the Dole Whip addiction......

but a PR at DL is a very interesting decision. I hope there will be enough distractions in the park, around the stadium, the classic cars, character photo ops and such that busting my rear to get a PR will be the furthest thought in my head. I believe I had not one, not two, not even three, but FOUR....I repeat FOUR PW's at Dopey. That's personal worsts but I still had the best time doing it. Not telling you what to do, but would gladly help you find one of those boring flat half marathons that you can PR so that you don't have that kind of pressure at DL.

OK, OK. Maybe PR isn't the term I should've used. I'm doing one more half here at the beginning of August. I would just like to be in position to get to 2:30-2:45 at DLH for my Dopey proof of time, if it comes down to that.

Anyway. That's my plan!

For the opposite end of the spectrum from Slogger, until this year I have run very few races outside of the WDW Marathon Weekend (I'm a pretty strict adherent to the "why pay to run a race when I can run on my own for free?" philosophy) so I have run PR's in 7 of my 8 Dopey races to this point. I failed to improve my PR in this year's half marathon because I was taking it easy and ran a couple half marathons the previous year so I actually have a non-Disney PR at that distance. The only concern I would have for setting a PR in a Disney race (assuming you can avoid the lure of the Disney distractions) is the course congestion. It's possible, it just may take more effort due to the swerving and pace variance the congestion causes. I would agree that finding a boring, flat, and less crowded race would probably be a better way to set a PR for your Proof of Time all things being equal, but if you have to go for a PR at DL it is achievable.

As for training plans, I have never actually used one (I don't follow instructions very well) and plan on making it up as I go again this year. Not running a lot of events I sit my mileage at ~30 per week and ramp it up to 50-60 in November and early December before pulling back to 30 then tapering. I'm guessing I would probably improve more quickly if I could follow a plan, but I have to do whatever works to get me out the door or on the treadmill. I am a very poor pacer and hope to improve on that particular skill this year. I think cutting back on the amount of sprint-walk-sprint I do will be helpful for both energy conservation and not looking like a crazy person out on the course.

For the opposite end of the spectrum from Slogger, until this year I have run very few races outside of the WDW Marathon Weekend (I'm a pretty strict adherent to the "why pay to run a race when I can run on my own for free?" philosophy) so I have run PR's in 7 of my 8 Dopey races to this point......, but if you have to go for a PR at DL it is achievable.

As for training plans, I have never actually used one (I don't follow instructions very well) and plan on making it up as I go again this year. Not running a lot of events I sit my mileage at ~30 per week and ramp it up to 50-60 in November and early December before pulling back to 30 then tapering. I'm guessing I would probably improve more quickly if I could follow a plan, but I have to do whatever works to get me out the door or on the treadmill. I am a very poor pacer and hope to improve on that particular skill this year. I think cutting back on the amount of sprint-walk-sprint I do will be helpful for both energy conservation and not looking like a crazy person out on the course.

@Barca33Runner......very wise perspective about the PR. Even though I had PWs at Dopey I did pace my DS and DD to personal bests in the 5k and 10k and ran the half at my DW's comfort level. I can readily admit to foregoing maximum effort for the sake of family and fun. Will probably do the same at DL for Dumbo.

I'm sure Keels knows what she is doing.

I can definitely relate about not following training instructions very well, everyone has ideas and I end up following some or none mostly due to impatience and stubbornness. It would be nice to commit to a plan and stick with it. I loosely followed Galloway's Dopey plan and imagine it's a good plan for the average runner taking on Dopey.

OK, OK. Maybe PR isn't the term I should've used. I'm doing one more half here at the beginning of August. I would just like to be in position to get to 2:30-2:45 at DLH for my Dopey proof of time, if it comes down to that.

@Keels...Based on the tremendous progress and determination you have already displayed this year, I think you will accomplish your PoT goal.

@Keels...Based on the tremendous progress and determination you have already displayed this year, I think you will accomplish your PoT goal.

Oh, yeah - I'm not going for crazy time. I'm going for distance. But ... if I could get a 2:30ish half, I'd love that as Dopey PoT. Ideally, I'd do it in the August half so I don't have to worry about it at DLH.

But ... whatever. It's about the distance.

Oh, yeah - I'm not going for crazy time. I'm going for distance. But ... if I could get a 2:30ish half, I'd love that as Dopey PoT. Ideally, I'd do it in the August half so I don't have to worry about it at DLH.

But ... whatever. It's about the distance.
Exactly the right attitude! Your head is in the right place. You are going to do great!

The reason that I build my own training plan/running schedule is simple - none of the "canned" plans works for me. I have tried many and none is exactly right. Over time I have figured out how much I can push myself, and what types of varying workouts I need to mix in to stay interested and motivated. It really is about getting out the door, even when you don't "feel" like it. You log your miles and build up your base so the mileage isn't a problem. 48.6 miles seems like a lot, and it is, but it won't be if you train well. Mix in some hills and speed work, make some of my runs tempo runs, practice running at my race pace, etc.

Every run has a different purpose/goal, so every run becomes "important". It really helps get my rear out the door.

For training I personally make it up as I go. I've looked at training plans so kind of come up with an idea based on some of where I want to build my distance to before a race. I run 5-6 days week varying short, medium and long runs with some speed work thrown in, and hills are always there because I live where it is hilly. Strength & core training 2-3 days a week too, that really helps. Before Dumbo I'll build back up to 13 and before Dopey I'll top out at a 3ish hour run (about 16 miles) for my longest I think.

Oh also, I personally like stacking 2 longish runs back to back, like a 13 and the next day an 8 or something like that. So I know I'll be doing those a lot too as it gets closer.

Last edited:
So, did nearly 7 miles on Saturday, 4 miles yesterday (Sunday) and then did a 1.5-mile swim today - which. felt. awesome.

I think I'm going to start incorporating swimming on my "rest" days. It helps my upper body and I feel like it will help me get a better handle on improving my breathing, which is the next hurdle I think I need to work on.

I think I'm going to stick to week 2 of the Higdon Dopey plan for a couple of weeks, just to building up my mileage and get used to back-to-backs and let my body understand what it's about to start undertaking before I start piling on distance.

Thoughts?

I think I'm going to stick to week 2 of the Higdon Dopey plan for a couple of weeks, just to building up my mileage and get used to back-to-backs and let my body understand what it's about to start undertaking before I start piling on distance.

Thoughts?
That is how you build a base - slow and steady. Very smart strategy. Once you have an established base of at least 25 miles/week for a month or more, you are ready to start building on top of that - but establish the base first. It will help you avoid injury.

So, did nearly 7 miles on Saturday, 4 miles yesterday (Sunday) and then did a 1.5-mile swim today - which. felt. awesome.

I think I'm going to start incorporating swimming on my "rest" days. It helps my upper body and I feel like it will help me get a better handle on improving my breathing, which is the next hurdle I think I need to work on.

Thoughts?

Good idea. Swimming is a great way to maintain your aerobic fitness without stressing your body. You should still have some days of total rest (or maybe a gentle yoga class). Resting is when the body recovers and improves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter