Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

I guess one of the side effects of getting older, is collecting doctors. I'm back from my new Orthopedist with the official diagnosis of what we already knew -- I've got a case of "Plantar Fasciitis".
So I get to wear inserts in my shoe, do regular foot stretching/toe scrunchies, pop some top self drugs (anti-inflammatory) for a month or so and and as he put it "Don't be a wimp".

So training is back on the table! Frederick running festival here I come.

At least you've got your official diagnosis - sometimes that's the hardest part of treating an injury! Hope you have a nice quick recovery :goodvibes

Quoting myself like a weirdo.

In my continuing quest to find cross training I *REALLY* like (I think I'm starting to get a little burned out on yoga), I signed up for a group strength training class that takes place on Wednesday...at 5:15AM. :faint: I hope I am able to wake up for it!!

Wow that's dedication :faint: I have to admit that my running has really fallen by the wayside since I've started working in the city and have to get up at 5:30am to fit it in before work. I hope you can find more motivation than I can at that time of the morning :rotfl:

I get up and get my runs in before work (which I like way better than after work)...but this will have me getting up about an hour earlier than I do on running mornings. :faint:

I've signed up for the class and they don't let you cancel at the last minute, so hopefully the fact that I'm paying for it will motivate me to get up...hopefully. :eek:

If I don't run before work, it doesn't happen lol! I'm going easy on myself at the moment as I've recently started a new job, and we've been selling and buying houses, and now in the process of moving so it's been a busy and stressful time. But once the Galloway program starts, I'll really get back on board.

Speaking of training programs... The runDisney website says, "Training programs will be available 5 months prior to race day." And tomorrow is five months until the Disneyland Half Marathon weekend begins. So I'm wondering if we will see the training plans updated... I'm interested to see if the 10K training program will give us any hints about what the 10K and 5K theme will be. Last year the 10K training PDF was the first time everyone saw the logo for the Stich/Hawaii theme.

Speaking of training programs... The runDisney website says, "Training programs will be available 5 months prior to race day." And tomorrow is five months until the Disneyland Half Marathon weekend begins. So I'm wondering if we will see the training plans updated... I'm interested to see if the 10K training program will give us any hints about what the 10K and 5K theme will be. Last year the 10K training PDF was the first time everyone saw the logo for the Stich/Hawaii theme.

I've been checking every day for the past week! Hopefully tomorrow's the day - I want to get stated on my costume plans lol!

I've been checking every day for the past week! Hopefully tomorrow's the day - I want to get stated on my costume plans lol!

What are you thinking??

I think I'm going to go as an old-school Mouseketeer!

I'm back from my new Orthopedist with the official diagnosis of what we already knew -- I've got a case of "Plantar Fasciitis".
So I get to wear inserts in my shoe, do regular foot stretching/toe scrunchies, pop some top self drugs (anti-inflammatory) for a month or so
Yikes! Sending positive thoughts your way! :goodvibes

I'm interested to see if the 10K training program will give us any hints about what the 10K and 5K theme will be. Last year the 10K training PDF was the first time everyone saw the logo for the Stich/Hawaii theme.
I'm anxious to see what the theme is, too! I'm trying to decide if I want to dress up (considering how it will be my first race, I might not want too many distractions...)

Just looked at the calendar today....hard to believe but we are now only 5 months away from Disney fun.

What are you thinking??

I think I'm going to go as an old-school Mouseketeer!

This year I'm going to try to stick to the theme, so hanging out to see what it's going to be!

I'm anxious to see what the theme is, too! I'm trying to decide if I want to dress up (considering how it will be my first race, I might not want too many distractions...)

These were my 'costumes' last year.

For the 5k Mum and I were Piglet and Tigger. I started off with Piglet ears but they fell off halfway around. Mum didn't even notice hers being clipped onto her visor.

For the 10k the 4 of us dressed up as Alice in Wonderland characters - I was Cheshire Cat and Mum was Alice.

We just wore sparkly skirts in appropriate colours over our running shorts, and had matching t-shirts made up in tech material (the design was only on the back to save money!). Our 'costumes' were all super comfy and not the least bit distracting. Since then I have also dressed up as a koala, where I just wore a grey sparkly skirt, grey tech t-shirt, and koala ears. People got the gist of it, but it wasn't uncomfortable for me to run in at all.

I say go for it! It's so much more fun running in 'costume' :goodvibes

They're not even uploaded to the directory either. The 2014 training plan started on April 29, so hopefully they will be up soon!
Right. The race weekend was earlier last year, though - August 31 was the date of the half - so I guess the Dumbo/DL Half training plans wouldn't start until the first week of May for this year. :confused3

Either way, I wanna see 'em!!

Add me to the list of anxiously waiting, and by anxiously waiting, I mean checking the training website every few hours.

Add me to the list of anxiously waiting, and by anxiously waiting, I mean checking the training website every few hours.

Me, too! But also mostly because I want to see if it gives any hint at theming ...

So, I think everything that I can plan and do right now for this trip is pretty much done. It kinda stinks that I will have made all of my ADRs, etc., for Wine & Dine before I even know park hours for DLH! But, that's another reason I kinda prefer DLH over WDW right now. So, yeah ... I guess I'm pretty much just waiting for park hours and the ADR window. Will this be the first time I try a sit-down restaurant in the parks? We'll see!

Anyone else thinking about their plan for the weekend? I'm leaning towards the only ADR I make being Steakhouse 55 for brunch after the half. I think the character interactions and locations in DLR are so much more fun than at WDW (I found so many characters outside in cool areas - especially at DCA!), so that's my thinking on picking Steakhouse over a character brunch. Plus ... at least at Steakhouse, I'm pretty sure I can get a mimosa. ;)

I'm just really super excited about the Anniversary Party! So - this is what my schedule looks like:

Thursday -- arrive at SNA at 10:08. Collect things, and head to FFI for one-night stay. Drop off things, hit Expo, try to get a cocktail at Trader Sam's before heading to the Anniversary Party at 4 p.m. Get my Anniversary Party on and then get to bed for ...

Friday -- Attempt an early-enough wakeup to get over and catch the end of the 5K. This may be pushing it, but I'd like to see my DisBoard pals running the 5K finish! Then, back to the room to clean up, pack up and drop my stuff down at the lobby. Will hit the parks at RD and plow through the day until I can check in at DLH! I'll be leaving my luggage at FFI until the husband (in a rental car) drives in from Santa Monica later that evening/that night, so I'll take a backpack with my swimsuit and change of clothes and leave it in an Esplanade locker until I can check in at DLH. Then -- POOL TIME! And then back to the parks.

Saturday -- Wake up early to watch the 10K finish and familiarize myself with the corral/finish area so there are no surprises the next day. Hit the parks at RD with my friends (who have arrived late Friday), before taking it back to the hotel for pool time and the Rangers-Angels game at 6. Hopefully asleep by 10 p.m.

Sunday -- RACE DAY! Shower, etc., and then head to Steakhouse 55 for brunch. Then, it's time to hit the parks with our bling!

Monday -- Park Day. My husband has never been to DLR, so he's promised me he will go for two full days.

Tuesday -- Drive to San Diego for the rest of the week.

I finalized everything but the flight today. I booked at the Fairfield for Thursday night too(get my Marriott points) and got my tickets through the travel agency with a nice discount. Got my tickets for the Anniversary party so all set for the parks. I have looked at the menus like ten times already. I always like to do that for some reason. Eyeballing a couple new places to try.

Thinking about going to Rangers/Angels on Sunday afternoon. Get a break from the parks. Guess you can cab it over and back?

Now I'm wondering if they'll wait to make changes to the website (i.e. Post the training plans) until after Avengers registration is done tomorrow. Hmmm...

I have my resort and tickets taken care of. I know the flights I want but I'm waiting until I get enough credit card reward points to book them. I check the seating charts occasionally and there are still plenty of seats left.

BFFs and I talked over some meal options awhile back but it's been long enough that I forget what we decided. Definitely breakfast after the half and Trader Sam's...that's all I remember. :teeth:

Now I'm wondering if they'll wait to make changes to the website (i.e. Post the training plans) until after Avengers registration is done tomorrow. Hmmm...

Also ... a little along those lines, but does anyone else find it curious that Star Wars doesn't have an on sale date yet? I think we're going to see a big announcement - probably at Star Wars weekend that relates to that race/race(s).

Also ... a little along those lines, but does anyone else find it curious that Star Wars doesn't have an on sale date yet? I think we're going to see a big announcement - probably at Star Wars weekend that relates to that race/race(s).
runDisney tweeted mid-June? Or am I misunderstanding your post? :)
image.jpg

Weird. Because if you look on RunDisney, it doesn't have an On Sale date on the drop-down? I was just surprised that the added it to Princess, but not to Star Wars. It's on the page, but not the menu dropdown ...

14iiv5s.jpg

Anyone else thinking about their plan for the weekend?

This is what the Disney part of our trip looks like so far:

Tuesday - Leave Melbourne first thing in the morning for Hong Kong. Arrive mid-afternoon, head straight to HKDL to check out Mystic Point (which wasn't open yet on our last visit) and hopefully the Lion King (which seems to always be closed when we go in March). Hopefully catch the night time parade and fireworks. We'll stay at a Disney hotel this night for simplicity.

Wednesday - Leave Hong Kong at lunch time headed for LAX. Arrive late morning, head to our rental condo, receive our grocery delivery and check out Downtown Disney.

Thursday - After a leisurely breakfast, head to the expo to pick up our merchandise, packets, and park tickets (which we plan to order through Get Travel). Take our loot back to our condo, then hit the parks (day 1 of 5)! We'll probably focus on Disneyland and aim to get to the Dole Whip DisMeet before having an early night.

Friday - Early morning for the 5k. We plan to use this as our 'goof off and have fun' run, and will probably line up for all the photo opportunities and character stops. Maybe hit DL at rope drop and try to ride Peter Pan with not much of a wait, then hop over to DCA (day 2 of 5). Later that day, we'll meet up with my parents who will be driving up from San Diego to join us for the next few days.

Saturday - We plan to take it pretty easy today and not even go to the parks. We might try to find an afternoon bus tour or something to keep us entertained before having another early night.

Sunday - The big race day! Run our half marathon, hit the parks with our bling (day 3 of 5), and attend the DisMeet at Trattoria Terrace. I'm considering booking a WOC lunch package at Carthay for our celebratory meal, so we'll probably focus on DCA.

Monday - Another fairly relaxed park day (day 4 of 5) with my parents.

Tuesday - Say goodbye to my parents, who will be leaving in the morning, and head into the parks one last time (day 5 of 5). We leave from SNA later that night for our red eye to Boston.

We'll arrive in Buffalo on the Wednesday and from there spend a week road tripping around New York State and Ontario.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter