Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Does anyone know if you are able to drive off property from the Polynesian after the Half and Full start or is car traffic stuck? I could not find anything regarding specific road closures,:confused3 I just called Disney and they were no help either.
ETA: DH has to get DD to OCCC probably by 7 or 8am on Sunday and possibly same on Saturday.

all poly traffic runs via fort wilderness area then to i4 you'd go down by port Orleans area..I'd give extra time to get off prop as it'll be crazy but possible

This is what I realized during the races too. As soon as I put the phone away, I came across something else that was picture-worthy and took it right back out! I ended up with my phone in one hand and a water bottle in the other. Probably won't be carrying a water bottle this time.

all poly traffic runs via fort wilderness area then to i4 you'd go down by port Orleans area..I'd give extra time to get off prop as it'll be crazy but possible

That's exactly where I thought traffic would be rerouted to. We are booked at BWI right now and I think I'm going to stay put. I love poly on race weekends but thinking it's better for DH to be at BWI.
Thank you!

Just wanted to pop in real quick to WISH everyone good luck on the Marathon next Sunday. I'm heading to MCO tomorrow. I'll be in Orlando for Race weekend but up at Universal. I wish I could be doing one of the races. I've been having knee issues that have kept me from doing any distance work.

Looking at the long range forecast, things don't look horrible for race weekend. The highs in the 80's are gone and odd of another Mickey Marathon on ice also looks low. Taper well and enjoy yourselves.

I can't believe marathon weekend is only a week away!

I did my 20 miler the Tuesday before Christmas and it was ROUGH!!

On Monday, my throat started hurting and I started running a low grade fever. On Tuesday I woke up with a sore throat and a 101 fever. But I knew it was my only day to do the long run and I remember the rule it was okay to run if the illness was above the neck. I didn't think much about the fever.

Holy cow. Right off the bat, my pace was slow. I felt like I was going at the same effort, but it was about 1:30 per mile slower. Thank goodness I was running with a friend. She really helped me push through. I walked mile 19-19.5 but for the rest of the time did my intervals. I really thought that I was going to die though.

The whole rest of the day was horrible. I had the chills and was hot and just achy. I ended up going to Urgent Care the next day, on Christmas Eve. Turns out that I had Strep Throat. Merry Christmas to me.

Gah--20 miles with Strep is not smart! But now I'm struggling mentally. My 20 miler was 50 minutes slower than my 18 miler two weeks before. I *know* that I was sick but I don't feel like it should have been that bad! I didn't run at all for the rest of the week and have run a 6 miler and 5 miler this week. Gonna get a 10 miler in this weekend.

I hope Goofy goes as well as my 18 miler did and not my twenty miler!

I'm in a somewhat similar position to you at least as far as being sick,I didn't go 20,but on Monday night I went 17 as I felt I needed to get one last run at least that far and I didn't want to do it any closer to race day.Well the day before I sorta felt like I might be coming down with something but I didn't feel bad yet,even before the run I was fine,in fact the run went great,I kept telling myself I wish I felt like this on race day.Well that's the end of the good news,the next morning I ended up getting called in to work and I woke up with a combination of that something I thought I was coming down with and the long run just leaving me feeling like crud,and having to go to work when I thought I didn't need to just totally did me in.I woke up somewhat OK this morning but right now my throat is not feeling great.I'm taking 2-3 packets of Emergen-C, trying to get enough sleep and hydrating.I'm glad we're a week a away and not 3 days away so I can get over this.

Gah--20 miles with Strep is not smart! But now I'm struggling mentally. My 20 miler was 50 minutes slower than my 18 miler two weeks before. I *know* that I was sick but I don't feel like it should have been that bad! I didn't run at all for the rest of the week and have run a 6 miler and 5 miler this week. Gonna get a 10 miler in this weekend.

Hang in there, mentally and physically. One bad run doesn't undo the months of training you've put in. Take a deep breath and reread Coach's famous words: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3361287

To that I will add a quote from my high school athletic career: 'Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.' We've all prepared for 15-20 weeks now our opportunity is only a week away. You (and the rest of us) WILL have a great Goofy!

Don't worry too much about the mileage between now and the big day(s). At this point, there's not much difference in a 5 milers or a 3 miler, just keep the legs fresh. Focus on getting healthy and rested before the race.

I would normally end with "Good Luck', but maybe this is more appropriate:

Make your own Luck!

Gah--20 miles with Strep is not smart! But now I'm struggling mentally. My 20 miler was 50 minutes slower than my 18 miler two weeks before. I *know* that I was sick but I don't feel like it should have been that bad!

Don't stress too much over it. I find it rare to go through an entire training cycle without at least one or two bad/difficult sessions. Just relax and trust in your training, and you'll be fine. :)

I can't believe marathon weekend is only a week away!

I did my 20 miler the Tuesday before Christmas and it was ROUGH!!

On Monday, my throat started hurting and I started running a low grade fever. On Tuesday I woke up with a sore throat and a 101 fever. But I knew it was my only day to do the long run and I remember the rule it was okay to run if the illness was above the neck. I didn't think much about the fever.

Holy cow. Right off the bat, my pace was slow. I felt like I was going at the same effort, but it was about 1:30 per mile slower. Thank goodness I was running with a friend. She really helped me push through. I walked mile 19-19.5 but for the rest of the time did my intervals. I really thought that I was going to die though.

The whole rest of the day was horrible. I had the chills and was hot and just achy. I ended up going to Urgent Care the next day, on Christmas Eve. Turns out that I had Strep Throat. Merry Christmas to me.

I'm in a somewhat similar position to you at least as far as being sick,I didn't go 20,but on Monday night I went 17 as I felt I needed to get one last run at least that far and I didn't want to do it any closer to race day.Well the day before I sorta felt like I might be coming down with something but I didn't feel bad yet,even before the run I was fine,in fact the run went great,I kept telling myself I wish I felt like this on race day.Well that's the end of the good news,the next morning I ended up getting called in to work and I woke up with a combination of that something I thought I was coming down with and the long run just leaving me feeling like crud,and having to go to work when I thought I didn't need to just totally did me in.I woke up somewhat OK this morning but right now my throat is not feeling great.I'm taking 2-3 packets of Emergen-C, trying to get enough sleep and hydrating.I'm glad we're a week a away and not 3 days away so I can get over this.

I hope both of you get better soon. Rest up and trust in your training!
Hang in there, mentally and physically. One bad run doesn't undo the months of training you've put in. Take a deep breath and reread Coach's famous words: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3361287

To that I will add a quote from my high school athletic career: 'Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.' We've all prepared for 15-20 weeks now our opportunity is only a week away. You (and the rest of us) WILL have a great Goofy!

Don't worry too much about the mileage between now and the big day(s). At this point, there's not much difference in a 5 milers or a 3 miler, just keep the legs fresh. Focus on getting healthy and rested before the race.

I would normally end with "Good Luck', but maybe this is more appropriate:

Make your own Luck!
I love your HS quote! Great advice

Don't stress too much over it. I find it rare to go through an entire training cycle without at least one or two bad/difficult sessions. Just relax and trust in your training, and you'll be fine. :)

I love this thread. Seems someone always knows exactly what to say!:goodvibes I can't believe we are a week out ;)

I love reading all the great encouraging words, this is my first marathon.

I'm comforted knowing I am not the only one feeling worried about the big day... 9 days away. I plan on finishing with no PR in mind, just to finish. My training hasn't been ideal with injuries and cold NH weather but training none the less. I'm starting in corral N so I won't see the balloon ladies for a while unless I am super slow in the heat and humidity.....and now panic, doubt and worry are setting in. How many people truly don't finish? Does anyone know?

What do you think the travel time via monorail would be from the Contemporary to start line? What's the latest you would consider leaving that resort on race morning?

I'm starting in corral N so I won't see the balloon ladies for a while unless I am super slow in the heat and humidity.....and now panic, doubt and worry are setting in. How many people truly don't finish? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure they make enough information available for DNF numbers, but they won't matter anyway because they aren't going to include you. Remember that, keep moving forward, and you'll be fine. :thumbsup2

What do you think the travel time via monorail would be from the Contemporary to start line? What's the latest you would consider leaving that resort on race morning?

This is what I have in my TR from 2013 Goofy Challenge...I stayed at the Grand Floridian:

- Arrived at the monorail platform at 3:28AM
- Briefly stopped at the Magic Kingdom stop (the doors opened for a few seconds and then quickly shut again)
- Picked up some runners at the Contemporary before continuing on to the TTC.
- Our monorail arrived at the TTC at 3:36.
- Switched monorails and was en route to Epcot by 3:39.
- Arrived at the Epcot monorail station at 3:50AM.

I stopped at the bathrooms (last chance for real bathrooms before you run to the TTC, I think) and after that it was a decent walk to the staging area, at least 10-15 minutes I think. Hope this helps!

I'm not sure they make enough information available for DNF numbers, but they won't matter anyway because they aren't going to include you. Remember that, keep moving forward, and you'll be fine. :thumbsup2

Great post!! Trust you training. You will do great. As Coach Charles said, "The RELENTLESS pursuit of FORWARD momentum". You'll be a marathon finisher before you know it. It's a really wonderful feeling to finish your first marathon. Keep that vision in your mind and believe in it!

This is what I have in my TR from 2013 Goofy Challenge...I stayed at the Grand Floridian:

- Arrived at the monorail platform at 3:28AM
- Briefly stopped at the Magic Kingdom stop (the doors opened for a few seconds and then quickly shut again)
- Picked up some runners at the Contemporary before continuing on to the TTC.
- Our monorail arrived at the TTC at 3:36.
- Switched monorails and was en route to Epcot by 3:39.
- Arrived at the Epcot monorail station at 3:50AM.

I stopped at the bathrooms (last chance for real bathrooms before you run to the TTC, I think) and after that it was a decent walk to the staging area, at least 10-15 minutes I think. Hope this helps!

So about a 20 minute trip to Epcot then, plus walking to staging area, and then corrals. I stayed at Poly that same year( I remember reading your race reports). Walked to TTC. I just remember having so much wait time after arriving at the staging area. Trying to cut down on that this year. Guess the monorail will get more crowded the later it gets. Thanks for the timeline!

How many people truly don't finish? Does anyone know?
I'd guess no more than a few thousand. There's about 21,000 finishers out of roughly 25,000 entrants. Subtract the people who defer or don't show up (maybe 10%?), and it looks like most people finish.

I love reading all the great encouraging words, this is my first marathon.

I'm comforted knowing I am not the only one feeling worried about the big day... 9 days away. I plan on finishing with no PR in mind, just to finish. My training hasn't been ideal with injuries and cold NH weather but training none the less. I'm starting in corral N so I won't see the balloon ladies for a while unless I am super slow in the heat and humidity.....and now panic, doubt and worry are setting in. How many people truly don't finish? Does anyone know?

Just remember that in crossing that finish line (which you WILL do) you will have a new marathon PR!!! :cool1:

You guys. This is EXACTLY what I needed right now. I have been a mental basket case today, just thinking about the race...

3. I tweaked my lower hamstring or a tendon behind my knee. First injury of training, UGH.

5. If I encounter sugary foods, I eat them. No will power at all.

Hope you heal soon!!

The worst thing about this for me is I'm a Pastry Cook at a high end restaurant in my area. That's all I do … all day … eat the delicious food. We also started making our own bread, which is absolutely fantastic!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter