Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

12 miles in the books. Some cramping here and there but overall a good run. Was tempted to go to 13.1 but the gym was closing on me so that kind of ruined those plans. Made for an interesting time since it meant my 12 miles had to include warmup and cool down to get full distance. So I had 2:33 ish for the 12 miles. Which considering everything is surprisingly good. Gives me some hope that breaking 6:00 at the Marathon isn't out of reach. Though I'll get a better idea in these next upcoming runs.

The only odd thing was when the inside of my knee started to hurt for a bit. But it went away. And it isn't bothering me now so I might have just been running funny for a bit and didn't realize it at first. Might have been over correcting for hip cramping.

Sore and tired but happy at least. This coming month ought to be fun.

The first of two 20-milers is complete. Legs are a bit tired and some muscle soreness, but no unusual pains anywhere so I'll call that a victory. Also luckily the rain held off for today which is s rare treat for this time of year in the Pacific Northwest.

Less than 5 more weeks to go now. I'm starting to look forward to this more now that it's getting close but I'm also a bit apprehensive as this is the first "solo" trip I've taken to WDW. It's no problem traveling alone, but it just feels so self indulgent to go do this on my own and leave the kids at home. I know doing Dopey and getting up day after day ridiculously early wouldn't make for a good family trip but I'll still feel strange being there without the wife and kids.

Anyway, I'm sure a carefully balanced combination of attractions and ice cream will help me get through.

Keep it up everyone!!

Less than 5 more weeks to go now. I'm starting to look forward to this more now that it's getting close but I'm also a bit apprehensive as this is the first "solo" trip I've taken to WDW. It's no problem traveling alone, but it just feels so self indulgent to go do this on my own and leave the kids at home. I know doing Dopey and getting up day after day ridiculously early wouldn't make for a good family trip but I'll still feel strange being there without the wife and kids.

:) You'll be OK.

I'm lucky in that I've taken a few solo trips to Disneyland, and I've already dealt with the "this is weird" feelings. My Wine&Dine trip was going to be solo, until my friend surprisingly said yes to going with me. (yay!) Even though it wasn't solo, it was still without the family. It is a bit indulgent, but that's OK. Hopefully the wife and kids will be doing fun and neat things at home. When I was gone, it required DH work from home because I homeschool and am at home, so DH and DS planned fun things to do once his work was done for the day. They had "man time" while I was gone.

And, of course, there's the whole souvenir thing you'll probably be expected to do. Have fun! :)

I need some advice please--on blisters. I've had a blister above the outside of the ball joint on my big toe for a while now. It comes up on longer runs but usually goes away by my next run. I've tried everything socks--balega, thorlo, feetures, injinji, procompression, zenzah--body glide, kt tape, band aids. I rotate between 2 different brands of shoes and it happens in both. Last night I popped the blister I had. Well, after my run today, I had one on the bottom of pinky toe, one on the other foot in the same place that I've been having one, my normal one showed back up, and then I got a new monster of a blister UNDER that one (how can you get a blister under another blister???) But I'm in such a loss as to what to do. I'm a little sore today but the blisters are really what's killing me!!!

Does anyone have any other advice, maybe something I haven't heard of?
I blister very easily. I found a combination that works wonders for me... New skin (buy it at Walmart in the band aid area. It's in small brown bottle and you paint it on like nail polish), body glide and I use injinji or balega socks... Definitely injinji on long runs.
I put the new skin on every toe at the tip of my nail and on the sides of each toe. I also new skin over my bunions. Then I put glide on the top of my foot and under the ball. If it's raining I add Vaseline around the ankles.
I did this routine for wine and Dine (rain the entire night) and didn't have one single blister!
Hope you find a relief soon!

I just PR'd my half marathon time at the Palm Beach half marathon by a whole 14 seconds!!!Next major race is the Disney half,part 1 of the Goofy challenge where I plan for that half to take me an hour or more to finish than Palm Beach.I'm glad I got my best time going into Goofy to make me feel like I can still run a fast race but I'm just choosing to go slow to make sure I'm good for the full on Sunday.When I get to Sunday I'll see how I feel and decide how to approach the full.If I feel good I totally would love to PR the full which based on my best time is totally doable.It's getting hard to PR my half times but there's plenty of opportunity with the full.

My apologies if this has been posted already. I'm getting ready for my first disney race (the 10k) and I've read almost the entire thread!

Is Epcot open so spectators can watch in the park during the 10k? Or should I have my family plan on being outside a boardwalk resort? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I need some advice please--on blisters. I've had a blister above the outside of the ball joint on my big toe for a while now. It comes up on longer runs but usually goes away by my next run. I've tried everything socks--balega, thorlo, feetures, injinji, procompression, zenzah--body glide, kt tape, band aids. I rotate between 2 different brands of shoes and it happens in both. Last night I popped the blister I had. Well, after my run today, I had one on the bottom of pinky toe, one on the other foot in the same place that I've been having one, my normal one showed back up, and then I got a new monster of a blister UNDER that one (how can you get a blister under another blister???) But I'm in such a loss as to what to do. I'm a little sore today but the blisters are really what's killing me!!!

Does anyone have any other advice, maybe something I haven't heard of?
Hmm...you rotate shoes but do you need a new pair of each? That's the only thing I can think of. My friend is training for the marathon and got a monster blister yesterday during her run - she thinks Wine & Dine ruined her shoes (with alllll of that rain) and warped them, because there are hard spots there that weren't before. Maybe something like that? :(

My apologies if this has been posted already. I'm getting ready for my first disney race (the 10k) and I've read almost the entire thread!

Is Epcot open so spectators can watch in the park during the 10k? Or should I have my family plan on being outside a boardwalk resort? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Someone else can probably answer this better than I can...I have not run the 10K yet but I have run the 5K. For the 5K (which also goes through Epcot), spectators were not allowed in the park, and I am guessing it is similar for the 10K. I do remember seeing spectators during the first mile (in the Epcot parking lot) and at the finish line. Hopefully someone else can chime in about the resort area. :)

Whenever the race program comes out runDisney SHOULD have a section with spectator information for each race, so hopefully that'll be helpful to you.

Also...just 4 full weeks of training left (if you're like me and your training week starts on a Monday)!! :eek:

And the WDW 5K is one month from TODAY! pluto: :yay:

I ran the 10K last year and it was closed to non-runners. It was before regular park hours and they didn't have any special sections for spectators within the park.

I also remember LOTS of people lining the course around the Boardwalk, Yacht, and Beach Club hotels.

FWIW, the Half and Full had spectators (in Epcot) since the park was open by the time some finishers crossed.

I looked back at last years thread and the waivers came out on dec 4th. So hopefully soon.
Oh wow - I didn't remember it being that early! :hyper:

They always seem to come out when I'm nowhere near a computer, so I'm revising my answer to this Friday afternoon, when I'll e tucked away in meetings for hours. ;):rotfl:

You can have spectators at the start/finish, but not in EP. I suggest the section that goes by the EP resorts - they'll have plenty of room to cheer there and you'll easily be able to find them!

Yeah you can not wait inside Epcot. The boardwalk area is pretty cool. Or they can watch at the start and finish line. I just remember a lot of people hanging around the boardwalk area with signs. It pretty cool.

I blister very easily. I found a combination that works wonders for me... New skin (buy it at Walmart in the band aid area. It's in small brown bottle and you paint it on like nail polish), body glide and I use injinji or balega socks... Definitely injinji on long runs.
I put the new skin on every toe at the tip of my nail and on the sides of each toe. I also new skin over my bunions. Then I put glide on the top of my foot and under the ball. If it's raining I add Vaseline around the ankles.
I did this routine for wine and Dine (rain the entire night) and didn't have one single blister!
Hope you find a relief soon!

Hmm..I need to try new skin. I need compression socks on my long runs because I get really tight calves...I wonder if I could wear my injinji and then compression on top?

Hmm...you rotate shoes but do you need a new pair of each? That's the only thing I can think of. My friend is training for the marathon and got a monster blister yesterday during her run - she thinks Wine & Dine ruined her shoes (with alllll of that rain) and warped them, because there are hard spots there that weren't before. Maybe something like that? :(

One pair is around 180 miles and the other is 88. One pair was in the rain of Wine & Dine but the other one I've been really careful with.

Hmm..I need to try new skin. I need compression socks on my long runs because I get really tight calves...I wonder if I could wear my injinji and then compression on top?

One pair is around 180 miles and the other is 88. One pair was in the rain of Wine & Dine but the other one I've been really careful with.
I had the same thought in regards to compressions socks with my injinji under them Because I had bought white compression socks for wine and dine. With all that rain I got nervous about not wearing injinji, so I tried them on with the compression over and there was no way... Too thick and bothersome. I wore my compression sleeves that did not match my costume! I was so Thankful I did.

Around black Friday , I saw a tweet from injinji that they have compression socks! I ordered a pair and am still waiting on them to arrive!

Also...just 4 full weeks of training left (if you're like me and your training week starts on a Monday)!! :eek:

And the WDW 5K is one month from TODAY! pluto: :yay:

Let me fix this for you:rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl:

I have been training just not as much as I have would liked to lately. I know I will not have a problem with the half nor the first half of the full. When I do get out it is for 5 to 7 miles twice a week at a 12:30 pace. It is just that the longest training run so far has only been 11 miles done 4 times.

:cool1: Got my bib numbers for Goofy. Now just need to see when they post the corrals. Feels really REAL now!! :thumbsup2

Exciting! Does anyone have a list of the corrals & bib numbers from last year? I'm hoping to get some idea how far in the back I'll be for the half! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter