Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Dealing with a small injury issue and trying to remain calm. I won't go in to the details, but I had a small procedure this week on my foot that has put me out of commission for running this whole week. The WDW Half will be my first Half, and I'm working on increasing my mileage. I'm a run-walk Galloway person, and my goal for the half is just to finish and have a good time.

I put in an 8 mile run-walk followed by an almost 10 mile walk last week (plus a shorter weekday run-walk). I should be able to get in about a 6 mile training session this weekend, but I may have to walk the whole thing depending how my foot is doing. Aiming for doing 11 miles next weekend. My foot should be better by that time.

I think I'll still be okay for the Half, just feeling a little off kilter because I didn't get in my two weekday training runs this week.

Dealing with a small injury issue and trying to remain calm. I won't go in to the details, but I had a small procedure this week on my foot that has put me out of commission for running this whole week. The WDW Half will be my first Half, and I'm working on increasing my mileage. I'm a run-walk Galloway person, and my goal for the half is just to finish and have a good time.

I put in an 8 mile run-walk followed by an almost 10 mile walk last week (plus a shorter weekday run-walk). I should be able to get in about a 6 mile training session this weekend, but I may have to walk the whole thing depending how my foot is doing. Aiming for doing 11 miles next weekend. My foot should be better by that time.

I think I'll still be okay for the Half, just feeling a little off kilter because I didn't get in my two weekday training runs this week.

No worries - it sounds like you've got a good base! I skip short runs as needed due to injuries or just plain exhaustion; I've never once regretted it and always feel better for taking the time to heal/rest/recover. If you can hit 10-12 miles again before the race, you should be in fine shape!

I agree with PrincessV, I think you'll be find for the half! Just focus on resting up and getting better!

You still have plenty of time to get ready for the race...missing a couple of runs here and there won't totally derail the work you have already done. :)

At this point in the training I think a lot of us are nursing some form of injury or at a minimum some soreness or discomfort. It sounds like you have put in some good miles already and taking some time to rest is a good idea. I took last week off after my right knee started acting up and wasn't so sure about it at the time. However, I'm back into my training now and while my knee isn't 100% it is a million times better and I'm glad I took that time off. Just listen to your body and do what you can then you should be fine.

You are much better off missing a couple of runs to get "healed up" than just heading back out there and doing further damage. I would almost say forget the 6-miler this weekend and just pick up your plan again next week. A good training plan will have some down weeks built into it, so just call this your down week :thumbsup2

Just noticed a big planning error on my part. We arrive on Tuesday and I scheduled that to be the expo day with a full day in the park on Wed. Forgot the expo doesn't even open until Wed!! :headache: :rolleyes:

I don't remember if it was posted here or on facebook, but there is an article that talks about this. It said that one of the common causes of "mysterious" sudden pains are the shoes, even when wearing the same old trusty model. Some manufacturers have changed the drop in their shoes between models without advertising it. That little change can be enough to cause pain. I know you said your shoes are the same model, but might be something worth looking in to!

:thumbsup2 I'm not saying that IS the problem, but I can definitely attest to the huge changes that happen all up and down the legs and hips when you change the drop. And I'm doing it on purpose, expecting the changes. Still surprising how much everything changes. I've discovered a pretty big discrepency in the strength of my left vs right leg/knee through this process of changing shoes. (working towards all runs in my Minimus, well, except for the wet-ground ones, as it seems there's a feature of what's basically a hole under the ball of the foot in the model my son and I have, settling for the long long runs in my Nike Frees, and I'm coming from the big built up stability shoes)

It's definitely something to look at, even if it just rules it out. :)

You are much better off missing a couple of runs to get "healed up" than just heading back out there and doing further damage. I would almost say forget the 6-miler this weekend and just pick up your plan again next week. A good training plan will have some down weeks built into it, so just call this your down week :thumbsup2

That's an excellent point. I think tomorrow might become a yoga day, and then I can pick up with my running again on my normal schedule next week.

At this point in the training I think a lot of us are nursing some form of injury or at a minimum some soreness or discomfort. It sounds like you have put in some good miles already and taking some time to rest is a good idea. I took last week off after my right knee started acting up and wasn't so sure about it at the time. However, I'm back into my training now and while my knee isn't 100% it is a million times better and I'm glad I took that time off. Just listen to your body and do what you can then you should be fine.

Thank you for the advice. I agree; I had a couple of times when I was training for my first 10k this past summer when I skipped a run just because I felt sore. The next training session I had was generally much better, and I ended up feeling good about occasionally skipping if I felt like that was what my body needed for that day.

I agree with PrincessV, I think you'll be find for the half! Just focus on resting up and getting better!

You still have plenty of time to get ready for the race...missing a couple of runs here and there won't totally derail the work you have already done. :)

That's true. I am a bit nervous because this will be my first half, but I do have to remember that I am starting from a good point.

No worries - it sounds like you've got a good base! I skip short runs as needed due to injuries or just plain exhaustion; I've never once regretted it and always feel better for taking the time to heal/rest/recover. If you can hit 10-12 miles again before the race, you should be in fine shape!

That makes a lot of sense. And I do plan to do one or two long training runs by the end of the year.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!!

I looked back at last years thread and the waivers came out on dec 4th. So hopefully soon.

I had a dream about them last night. I really want my waiver AND corral.

A little nervous about this race since my training as been a little off. I am not looking for any time goal just finish.

Any word on the shoes yet? They released the dooney and bourke bags but when will they release the shoe designs?

Any word on the shoes yet? They released the dooney and bourke bags but when will they release the shoe designs?

I'm waiting for this info, too. It seems odd they haven't released the new designs yet.

Just a quick update - I did a 13 mile run today with no cramping. During the run I took 2 salt stick caps and alternated between a Skratch hydration mix and Powerade Zero. Hopefully this is what I needed, but I'll get another test in a couple weeks when I try a 20 mile run.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Just a quick update - I did a 13 mile run today with no cramping. During the run I took 2 salt stick caps and alternated between a Skratch hydration mix and Powerade Zero. Hopefully this is what I needed, but I'll get another test in a couple weeks when I try a 20 mile run.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Great news!!!:cool1:

Great run too :thumbsup2

I need some advice please--on blisters. I've had a blister above the outside of the ball joint on my big toe for a while now. It comes up on longer runs but usually goes away by my next run. I've tried everything socks--balega, thorlo, feetures, injinji, procompression, zenzah--body glide, kt tape, band aids. I rotate between 2 different brands of shoes and it happens in both. Last night I popped the blister I had. Well, after my run today, I had one on the bottom of pinky toe, one on the other foot in the same place that I've been having one, my normal one showed back up, and then I got a new monster of a blister UNDER that one (how can you get a blister under another blister???) But I'm in such a loss as to what to do. I'm a little sore today but the blisters are really what's killing me!!!

Does anyone have any other advice, maybe something I haven't heard of?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter