Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

There are more experienced out there but for what it's worth, I've run 5 fulls (albeit at a little slower pace than you...but I do try to run the who time) and I've been wondering the same thing as you.

When I first started marathon training, I really wanted to have two 20 milers under my belt before marathon day but family/life/work/injury prevented that each time.

Now, I pretty much plan (hope) on getting one 20 miler anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks ahead of the event then keep it to 12 or 13 milers every other weekend (8 miles on the alternate weekend - which is also my regular run during the week) depending on how I'm feeling. But I've gone into a two marathons now having only a 16 miler (hit the wall around 20 one time and 17 the other)

Three of the marathons were part of a "run-cation" so, to answer your question, for my purposes I found one 20 miler is sufficient for the level at which I'm running which means finishing upright and enjoying the remainder of the day doing whatever. But, that's just one person's experience - everybody is different, right?

Thank you so much - this is really helpful, particularly because I think we're in relatively similar situations. Finishing upright and enjoying the remainder of the day is definitely the goal! I think a few things you mentioned are key, including the timing. I ran 20 at nine weeks out, so I'm thinking that I might try for just one more 20 at 6 weeks out so that it's closer to the marathon. Then at 3 weeks out I'll throw in a 15.

When you say you "hit the wall" did you not finish, or just hit the wall and it was really tough? I'm hoping you finished and can share additional advice regarding what got you through after hitting the wall!

Thank you so much - this is really helpful, particularly because I think we're in relatively similar situations. Finishing upright and enjoying the remainder of the day is definitely the goal! I think a few things you mentioned are key, including the timing. I ran 20 at nine weeks out, so I'm thinking that I might try for just one more 20 at 6 weeks out so that it's closer to the marathon. Then at 3 weeks out I'll throw in a 15.

When you say you "hit the wall" did you not finish, or just hit the wall and it was really tough? I'm hoping you finished and can share additional advice regarding what got you through after hitting the wall!

Yes, I finished. By 'hit the wall' I meant just lost energy and needed to take a walk break. I have a typo above that should read 'try to run the whole time' above - emphasis on *try*. :)

The only thing I really did after hitting the wall was try to take a Clif Shot every 45 minutes and take Gatorade if I think I can stomach it. Plus, if there's food being offered at that point, I'll most likely partake.

I also try to really concentrate on my form when I get back to running/jogging. I learned that when I get tired I tend to lean forward and it hurts my back and and, for whatever reason, my hip flexors. Other than that I just really, really want to finish by that point and that usually carries me the rest of the way. That and good crowd support ALWAYS helps!

Hello runners! Interested in some training advice from experienced marathoners.

I've been following a plan for the full that is a combination of Galloway and Higdon (but no walking, other than walking through aid stations to drink.) I've run four half marathons this year, so I'm typically in training for something along the way. My half PR is 1:52, but I'm trying not to focus on time for the full - just finish and be relatively comfortable. I usually run a shorter distance (3-4 miles) 3x per week and then a longer distance (10 miles or more) on the weekends. Just did a 20-mile run yesterday and it went well. I felt fine during and after the run - it just gets a little boring after a while and takes a ton of time away from my husband/kids/puppy on the weekends.

So now I'm thinking about continuing this pattern until a taper that begins three weeks before the marathon. Wondering how long those really long runs should be. Considering two more 20s, or maybe a 20 and then a 15. Or since the 20 went well yesterday, maybe that's enough of the 20s and I should stick to 15s. Advice?

There are three 20 milers on my training plan with 2 or 3 weeks of lower mileage runs in between. Will hit the last 20 on 21-Dec and start the tapering from there, but my weekly miles during these last 8 weeks before the taper is 50ish.

No need to go longer than 20 miles, I see a limiter as your weekly mileage and the long run being a large percentage of that mileage. Some can handle it and for others it just opens a possibility of injury at placing so many miles on the long run during training.

Hello runners! Interested in some training advice from experienced marathoners.

I've been following a plan for the full that is a combination of Galloway and Higdon (but no walking, other than walking through aid stations to drink.) I've run four half marathons this year, so I'm typically in training for something along the way. My half PR is 1:52, but I'm trying not to focus on time for the full - just finish and be relatively comfortable. I usually run a shorter distance (3-4 miles) 3x per week and then a longer distance (10 miles or more) on the weekends. Just did a 20-mile run yesterday and it went well. I felt fine during and after the run - it just gets a little boring after a while and takes a ton of time away from my husband/kids/puppy on the weekends.

So now I'm thinking about continuing this pattern until a taper that begins three weeks before the marathon. Wondering how long those really long runs should be. Considering two more 20s, or maybe a 20 and then a 15. Or since the 20 went well yesterday, maybe that's enough of the 20s and I should stick to 15s. Advice?

I think we are in the same boat! The full at the 2015 will be my first. To date I've run 7 HMs with a PR of 1:55. I run about 20+ a week, with 4 runs consisting of 3-6 miles each.

I'm aiming to have a total of 3 20-milers in before January. I've gotten one in about 3 weeks ago and felt good. Learned a few things that I will try and adjust on my next 20-miler on Thanksgiving.

I've talked with several marathoners and they had suggested to me 2-3 20-milers (or slightly longer) would be helpful because that is (on average) when the body reaches it threshold, so I would be forced to practice fueling during my training so I wouldn't be find what doesn't work the hard way on race day.

A big factor that myself and many Northerners are facing - winter weather! November shouldn't be too bad for me, but December could be a problem. Thus I wanted to make sure I hit at least two 20-milers before the snow set it. If worst comes to worst, I my scratch my December 20+ run in place of a few 10-15 miles on a treadmill. :worried:

I don't know if this helped and sorry if I went on rambling. I figured we're in similar shoes and sharing what is working for me would be helpful.

Yes, I finished. By 'hit the wall' I meant just lost energy and needed to take a walk break. I have a typo above that should read 'try to run the whole time' above - emphasis on *try*. :)

The only thing I really did after hitting the wall was try to take a Clif Shot every 45 minutes and take Gatorade if I think I can stomach it. Plus, if there's food being offered at that point, I'll most likely partake.

I also try to really concentrate on my form when I get back to running/jogging. I learned that when I get tired I tend to lean forward and it hurts my back and and, for whatever reason, my hip flexors. Other than that I just really, really want to finish by that point and that usually carries me the rest of the way. That and good crowd support ALWAYS helps!

This is all so helpful! Glad to hear you finished and really good to hear how you pulled through. Congrats on all you've done and thanks again for sharing your advice!

There are three 20 milers on my training plan with 2 or 3 weeks of lower mileage runs in between. Will hit the last 20 on 21-Dec and start the tapering from there, but my weekly miles during these last 8 weeks before the taper is 50ish.

No need to go longer than 20 miles, I see a limiter as your weekly mileage and the long run being a large percentage of that mileage. Some can handle it and for others it just opens a possibility of injury at placing so many miles on the long run during training.

Thank you!! I used to run an average of 6 days a week when training for half marathons alone - and sometimes I failed to take rest days for weeks. So my actual schedule in recent weeks is so much less than ideal in my mind. Good point on percentage of total mileage - I know I haven't been following that rule and it's making me a little crabby. On the other hand, my biggest injury concern has been IT band, but that acts up more when I run 6 or 7 days/week and I've had it under control for quite some time now. I may be one of those people who can handle the high percentage of long run miles (OK so far) - at least I hope so!

I think we are in the same boat! The full at the 2015 will be my first. To date I've run 7 HMs with a PR of 1:55. I run about 20+ a week, with 4 runs consisting of 3-6 miles each.

I'm aiming to have a total of 3 20-milers in before January. I've gotten one in about 3 weeks ago and felt good. Learned a few things that I will try and adjust on my next 20-miler on Thanksgiving.

I've talked with several marathoners and they had suggested to me 2-3 20-milers (or slightly longer) would be helpful because that is (on average) when the body reaches it threshold, so I would be forced to practice fueling during my training so I wouldn't be find what doesn't work the hard way on race day.

A big factor that myself and many Northerners are facing - winter weather! November shouldn't be too bad for me, but December could be a problem. Thus I wanted to make sure I hit at least two 20-milers before the snow set it. If worst comes to worst, I my scratch my December 20+ run in place of a few 10-15 miles on a treadmill. :worried:

I don't know if this helped and sorry if I went on rambling. I figured we're in similar shoes and sharing what is working for me would be helpful.

So funny - we're nearly identical! Yes, this is very helpful and not at all rambling! And I'm also in a cold climate, so the treadmill is inevitable. I learned that last winter when I almost fell in the snow during a day-after-Christmas run with my new Garmin, and thought treadmill would be better than injury from falling! So I think I'm with you on the T-giving-ish 20 miler and the likely 15 mile treadmill run in December!

I was hit by a car last week while running. Thankfully, my injuries are minor. I have a broken left hand, concussion, and a few scrapes and bruises. My ortho doctor told me I could start running in a few weeks. Has anyone ran with a broken hand or wrist? What should I expect? M husband and I are training for Dopey.

I was hit by a car last week while running. Thankfully, my injuries are minor. I have a broken left hand, concussion, and a few scrapes and bruises. My ortho doctor told me I could start running in a few weeks. Has anyone ran with a broken hand or wrist? What should I expect? M husband and I are training for Dopey.

Yikes, I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously! May I ask how that happened (if you know)? I'm always a little afraid of that, but for the most part I can see if a car is coming a little too close and move off of the road. Ironically, I've had more close calls in the daylight than at night. I guess the lights really help!

I can't give you any advice for running with a broken hand, but wanted to say how sorry I am that you were hit. That's a huge fear of mine. It must have been so scary. I'm glad your injuries were relatively minor, but still...

I hope someone else can give you some advice about your continued training. :goodvibes

Please be careful with the concussion. I fell in the shower early in my training and it took months to feel truly "right". That would be more worrisome than the hand, honestly.

Oh my goodness. That's terrible. Glad it wasn't worse.
Did the driver stop I hope? Were there people around to
help you? I hope your recovery is quick but be careful not
to push it.

First time using compression socks today. I did 18 miles but it was almost 70° so pretty warm for upstate NY. I had to stop home and change into shorts because the socks/running capris combo was just too warm for me.

So should I keep the socks on for a few hours after my run? And do you guys wear the socks for every run no matter the distance? Or just your long runs?

Still trying to figure out what works best for me.

So should I keep the socks on for a few hours after my run? And do you guys wear the socks for every run no matter the distance? Or just your long runs?

For me, the long runs. I sweat so I take them off. If I have just done a half and want the compression to last, I put on another pair of them. If I've just done a half or other long run and just want the warmth, I put on knee socks. Which still add compression for me.

First time using compression socks today. I did 18 miles but it was almost 70° so pretty warm for upstate NY. I had to stop home and change into shorts because the socks/running capris combo was just too warm for me.

I used to wear them while running but started getting some irritation around my knee. I now only wear them after long runs - still seems to help with recovery! :thumbsup2

I use calf compression sleeves (so not full socks) I always wear them after long runs until bedtime. Sometimes I wear them on the long run and most likely will wear them during the marathon.

Compression socks....tried once and they were too restrictive during a marathon. Compression calf sleeves, on during the race then hot shower after taking them off and using The Stick on legs.

NOTE....November 1st I had a VERY cold 112 mile bike ride then the marathon following for Ironman Florida. It was so cold I wore my compression calf sleeves during the biking and the marathon. As always, when I got back to our motorhome after 12+ hours of competition, the sleeves came off followed by a good roll out with The Stick and then the HOT shower.

Even on days with +80F temperatures I wear the sleeves.

McFlurry John

First time "full" marathon runner here coming up in Jan, although I have done several half's in the past few years, including last weekend. Quick question for those marathon veterans regarding training and possibly missing a week or so from training due to "race" soreness. Basically I already have several long runs under my belt this fall (2 - 14 milers a few weeks ago and then a half last weekend), but this week I am pretty sore after I ran too hard during that run (W&D) last Saturday night. I ran (raced) a pace (15-20 sec) above what I trained for since I felt pretty good all night and the temps were pretty ideal - except for the rain :worried: Although I did set a PR :cool1: Now what I'm experiencing is most likely DOMS in my legs as my calves and hamstrings are still pretty sore and tight. No sharp pains though ...

Anyways, the plan(s) I'm following have me topping out at 20 miles about 3 weeks before the full, but I should be at >15 this upcoming weekend. A little background: I do still have a mid week base of anywhere 5-7 miles per run ~3 times a week and I play ice-hockey every Tuesday - which helps with cross training :)

How concerned (if at all) should I be with 8 weeks to go if I have to take a week to recover from my half since I raced that one too hard?

First time "full" marathon runner here coming up in Jan, although I have done several half's in the past few years, including last weekend. Quick question for those marathon veterans regarding training and possibly missing a week or so from training due to "race" soreness. Basically I already have several long runs under my belt this fall (2 - 14 milers a few weeks ago and then a half last weekend), but this week I am pretty sore after I ran too hard during that run (W&D) last Saturday night. I ran (raced) a pace (15-20 sec) above what I trained for since I felt pretty good all night and the temps were pretty ideal - except for the rain :worried: Although I did set a PR :cool1: Now what I'm experiencing is most likely DOMS in my legs as my calves and hamstrings are still pretty sore and tight. No sharp pains though ... Anyways, the plan(s) I'm following have me topping out at 20 miles about 3 weeks before the full, but I should be at >15 this upcoming weekend. A little background: I do still have a mid week base of anywhere 5-7 miles per run ~3 times a week and I play ice-hockey every Tuesday - which helps with cross training :) How concerned (if at all) should I be with 8 weeks to go if I have to take a week to recover from my half since I raced that one too hard?

After a race (especially one where your pace was faster than what you're used to), I recommend taking a few days off to give your muscles time to heal. I'm running the Avengers on Sunday and going for a PR. Even though I'm running the Dopey in January, I'm limiting my runs next week in distance and pace. In my opinion taking a recovery week is far more important than running on already fatigued muscles and risking injury. From previous experience I've learned even if I feel okay in the days after a race my body is still healing and I need to give it time before really working the muscles again. You might also want to try warm Epsom salt baths.

This is general advice for someone running his / her first marathon. some experienced runners prefer to run the day after a race no matter how sore they are. I think you're better off taking the cautious approach until you run enough marathons to learn how your body reacts to the stress caused by both the increased distance you're training for and the faster pace from your half PR.

Thanks - that certainly makes sense. Really interesting/surprised how late the pain set in several days after the race on Saturday night. Additionally, I probably didn't help matters by running (lightly) Tuesday and again yesterday morning since I was feeling fine -- before the pain set in anyways.

Best plan of action will be to shut it down from running for a few days then. I might try to hit the cross trainer this weekend since I can't seem to sit still though.

Thanks - that certainly makes sense. Really interesting/surprised how late the pain set in several days after the race on Saturday night. Additionally, I probably didn't help matters by running (lightly) Tuesday and again yesterday morning since I was feeling fine -- before the pain set in anyways.

Best plan of action will be to shut it down from running for a few days then. I might try to hit the cross trainer this weekend since I can't seem to sit still though.

I PR'd in a half almost a month ago and my legs still haven't recovered. :lmao: I think it was that combined with increasing pace and miles too quickly during training. I had been doing 4/1 run/walk intervals, but I have dropped down to 2/1 and I am still struggling on some runs, but it has gotten better. My quads are just over it. :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter