Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

17 miles today. I could hear the wind howling and knew it was cold out. I pondered doing a taper from my 16 last weekend. Then I watched the NYC marathon. What motivation to get my butt outside!! Those top athletes are amazing. I can't believe in 2 more months I will also be a marathoner!!! :)

Finished my half marathon Saturday right at my 2:30 goal. Yay!
Watched Jeff Galloway finish the marathon while waiting on my DH to
Finish his first ever marathon! Great day! 9+ weeks to go my fellow
RunDisney fans!!!

17 miles today. I could hear the wind howling and knew it was cold out. I pondered doing a taper from my 16 last weekend. Then I watched the NYC marathon. What motivation to get my butt outside!! Those top athletes are amazing. I can't believe in 2 more months I will also be a marathoner!!! :)

The men's finish yesterday was just amazing!

With the turn of the calendar to November, I can now say that I am running my first full THIS month! Ahhh! :yay:

Does beer count?

For you it does! :thumbsup2

I use Gu recovery smoothies. I've also used hammer recovery. I prefer the way the gu tastes. If I forget one after a long run I remember how much they help me. :)

Thx! :goodvibes

I wrote a while back asking for long running routes at Coronado Springs.

Awesome sharing - thx a mint for the great info!

Mandatory McFlurry stop for me when passing that McDonald's, at least during the Marathon. :rotfl:
McFlurry John

When I first started reading this thread, I thought you were joking then after seeing multiple mentions, I laughed when I realized you were serious! :worship:

I can hear the excitement building - hopefully everyone's training is going well!

cheers,
:)

Hi all! So two weekends ago I ran a 10k and Half back to back in one weekend. I went all out in both of them and majorly PR'd in the 10k and PR'd by a minute & a half in the Half. Yay! However..now I have new injury.

I can't figure out if its sciatica or piriformis syndrome (what I'm leaning towards). Basically its pain that runs from the bottom half of my butt down the back of my leg. It's both aching pain and sharp shooting pain. It hurts to sit for a while unless I put something under my hip on that side.

I've been doing stretches I've found online but I don't think they're working. I can't seem to get at the pain with the foam roller, Stick or Trigger Point Therapy Ball. However, I have managed to bruise my butt by using the ball. So now it hurts from the injury and it feels bruised!!

Does anyone have any out of the box or really good suggestions or tips?

Hi all! So two weekends ago I ran a 10k and Half back to back in one weekend. I went all out in both of them and majorly PR'd in the 10k and PR'd by a minute & a half in the Half. Yay! However..now I have new injury.

I can't figure out if its sciatica or piriformis syndrome (what I'm leaning towards). Basically its pain that runs from the bottom half of my butt down the back of my leg. It's both aching pain and sharp shooting pain. It hurts to sit for a while unless I put something under my hip on that side.

I've been doing stretches I've found online but I don't think they're working. I can't seem to get at the pain with the foam roller, Stick or Trigger Point Therapy Ball. However, I have managed to bruise my butt by using the ball. So now it hurts from the injury and it feels bruised!!

Does anyone have any out of the box or really good suggestions or tips?

I suffered a piriformis injury. Of the running injuries I have had over the years, that was by far the worst. My advice, see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis. If it is the piriformis a physical therapist can be a tremendous help.

We're moving over to the Contemporary on Saturday of marathon weekend. Can we actually get to the resort that morning with the half going on? We wanted to get checked in before heading over to DHS.

We're moving over to the Contemporary on Saturday of marathon weekend. Can we actually get to the resort that morning with the half going on? We wanted to get checked in before heading over to DHS.

Depends on what time you are planning on checking in and how they have the roads closed.

The Contemporary is around mile 5, so the runners going at a 16 minute pace will take about 80 minutes to get there. Depending on the number of corrals this year I think the last corral would go off just prior to 6:30 give or take a few. In theory, I would think all half marathon runners should be clear of that area no later than 8am.

Anything earlier than that, and you are probably looking at some kind of delays due to various road closures.

Just a shout out to my fellow runners (especially run walkers). I ran my first half at Dis in January 2013. Getting ready for an extra special Jan 2015 for my second long run (and third). My beautiful wife started training four months ago with me for her very 1st run ever. She had only walked before. Proud of how far she has come. Big thanks to Galloway that she and I will have a magical half together on Saturday and then I finish "Goofing it" with a buddy in the full. Thanks to everyone's supportive comments to everyone, sharing training, and thinking good thoughts for those dealing with injuries in training. It's going to be a magical time! I had my 11YO make a sign for her to help her through next 2 mos of training and then asked her who is then going to hold the sign during the race. She figured that out quick. Now if I can just get my DW to wear a "Lady" t-shirt while I wear a "Tramp" with some string like spaghetti tied between us!

Anyone know from the past if an iphone 5 battery will last the whole marathon if I take lots of pictures and maybe even video? Not just a few pictures, I'm talking lots of pictures? Or should I carry a regular small camera?
thanks!

Anyone know from the past if an iphone 5 battery will last the whole marathon if I take lots of pictures and maybe even video? Not just a few pictures, I'm talking lots of pictures? Or should I carry a regular small camera?
thanks!

It would not count on it. I am not the fastest runner out there and mine has never made it through the entire marathon. So, I bought an inexpensive Jockery portable recharger. With that I do not have a problem.

It would not count on it. I am not the fastest runner out there and mine has never made it through the entire marathon. So, I bought an inexpensive Jockery portable recharger. With that I do not have a problem.

yeah I was wondering on a portable charger. Thanks!

yeah I was wondering on a portable charger. Thanks!

I bought this on Amazon for my sons iPhone 5:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVORET8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

He loves it, It basically doubles his battery life and it is nothing extra to carry.

For the 2013 Marathon I had an iPhone 4, used the runkeeper GPS tracker, played music, posted to Facebook and took a few pictures and had no problem with the battery lasting the whole run.

And training for the 2015 Dopey I just finished my 20 mile run (3.5 hrs) with my iPhone 5 again using runkeeper GPS and playing music and it used less than 40% of the battery. So it is possible that your phone may be able to make it through the run.

Hello runners! Interested in some training advice from experienced marathoners.

I've been following a plan for the full that is a combination of Galloway and Higdon (but no walking, other than walking through aid stations to drink.) I've run four half marathons this year, so I'm typically in training for something along the way. My half PR is 1:52, but I'm trying not to focus on time for the full - just finish and be relatively comfortable. I usually run a shorter distance (3-4 miles) 3x per week and then a longer distance (10 miles or more) on the weekends. Just did a 20-mile run yesterday and it went well. I felt fine during and after the run - it just gets a little boring after a while and takes a ton of time away from my husband/kids/puppy on the weekends.

So now I'm thinking about continuing this pattern until a taper that begins three weeks before the marathon. Wondering how long those really long runs should be. Considering two more 20s, or maybe a 20 and then a 15. Or since the 20 went well yesterday, maybe that's enough of the 20s and I should stick to 15s. Advice?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVORET8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

He loves it, It basically doubles his battery life and it is nothing extra to carry.

For the 2013 Marathon I had an iPhone 4, used the runkeeper GPS tracker, played music, posted to Facebook and took a few pictures and had no problem with the battery lasting the whole run.

And training for the 2015 Dopey I just finished my 20 mile run (3.5 hrs) with my iPhone 5 again using runkeeper GPS and playing music and it used less than 40% of the battery. So it is possible that your phone may be able to make it through the run.

Thanks for the info.! I should be under 5 hrs with photos stops, but there's before and after too. May bring the camera and phone if I can fit it on me.

I have been using the Nike Run app but the last 2 weeks when I get over 11 miles the app keeps konking out (not the battery) and I have to restart it, it remembers everything once it gets going again, but after it doing that a ton over the last 5 on my 16 it got old. I am planning to test out Run Keeper next week, sounds like it may work better & not drain the battery as much either.

I used to have an IPhone 5 and completed 3 marathons with it, 6:15 space coast, 6:30 Disney marathon and 5:15 KC marathon, took several photos along the way (no video though) my regular battery lasted through all three races. Just have a full charge and be conservative with pics and you'll be fine

Jennifer

Hello runners! Interested in some training advice from experienced marathoners.

I've been following a plan for the full that is a combination of Galloway and Higdon (but no walking, other than walking through aid stations to drink.) I've run four half marathons this year, so I'm typically in training for something along the way. My half PR is 1:52, but I'm trying not to focus on time for the full - just finish and be relatively comfortable. I usually run a shorter distance (3-4 miles) 3x per week and then a longer distance (10 miles or more) on the weekends. Just did a 20-mile run yesterday and it went well. I felt fine during and after the run - it just gets a little boring after a while and takes a ton of time away from my husband/kids/puppy on the weekends.

So now I'm thinking about continuing this pattern until a taper that begins three weeks before the marathon. Wondering how long those really long runs should be. Considering two more 20s, or maybe a 20 and then a 15. Or since the 20 went well yesterday, maybe that's enough of the 20s and I should stick to 15s. Advice?

There are more experienced out there but for what it's worth, I've run 5 fulls (albeit at a little slower pace than you...but I do try to run the who time) and I've been wondering the same thing as you.

When I first started marathon training, I really wanted to have two 20 milers under my belt before marathon day but family/life/work/injury prevented that each time.

Now, I pretty much plan (hope) on getting one 20 miler anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks ahead of the event then keep it to 12 or 13 milers every other weekend (8 miles on the alternate weekend - which is also my regular run during the week) depending on how I'm feeling. But I've gone into a two marathons now having only a 16 miler (hit the wall around 20 one time and 17 the other)

Three of the marathons were part of a "run-cation" so, to answer your question, for my purposes I found one 20 miler is sufficient for the level at which I'm running which means finishing upright and enjoying the remainder of the day doing whatever. But, that's just one person's experience - everybody is different, right?

I just went ahead and ordered that case! Looks cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter