Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

So yesterday I ran the LBI 18 Miler as a training run. I did a good job hydrating in the days before, but I'm thinking maybe I over-hydrated and messed up my salt. I take 2 clif blocks every three miles or so but at mile 14 my calves totally seized up. I tried to stop and stretch but that didn't help. When I finally got to the finish line (4th from last in 4hrs 12 mins) I had two bags of pretzels and it was like I had new legs. So I'm assuming this is a salt issue, right? Should I be running with salt packets now?

I'd hesitate to go with just salt packets, something more balanced like Endurolytes might be more beneficial in the long run. Sodium itself can often cause more problems than it solves. Good luck!

I took 2 months off after running the Goofy in January. I have been running about 25-30 miles/week since spring, but almost exclusively runs of 4-6 miles (no long runs). I am trying to decide whether or not to run the WDW Marathon coming up.

I ran 10 miles last Sunday and felt fine - legs were great but my heart rate was a little high for that distance. I am going to run 12 this weekend and decide whether or not I can add on the miles to my long runs safely in time for the Marathon. If I believe that I can, I will register. Not looking for anything close to my PR time at Disney - just looking to have fun and avoid injury. Hopefully I can do it, but I have never tried to ramp up my mileage this quickly before, and I am no spring chicken.

Same here, for the last few months, I've been sticking with a couple 6 milers and a couple 10 milers a week... and about the same weekly mileage, too.

I felt encouraged after reading about the long runs that others are doing, and did a slow 15 this morning before work.

Keep up the good long runs and training, folks.

BuckeyeBama: Hope your 12 miler this weekend goes very well :)

Same here, for the last few months, I've been sticking with a couple 6 milers and a couple 10 milers a week... and about the same weekly mileage, too.

I felt encouraged after reading about the long runs that others are doing, and did a slow 15 this morning before work.

Keep up the good long runs and training, folks.

BuckeyeBama: Hope your 12 miler this weekend goes very well :)

I already know you're a fast runner than me, but what time did you have to wake up to do 15 miles before work?? :scared:

How often do you take a GU while running a full? Do you hit every water stop? How about the bananas i have heard that are on the course?

I enjoyed the 10 mile. Took a GU at 3 1/2 and 7 1/2.

I eat something every three miles, usually 2 Cliff Shot Bloks. I don't eat much of what's offered on the course unless it's something I've eaten on a run before. Thankfully, that includes Red Vines (NOT Twizzlers), red swedish fish, Jelly Belly Sport Beans, and oranges. Don't think I could handle a banana and I run right past the dunkin donuts munchkins they offer at the Marine Corps Marathon. I have a friend who swears by them, but my mouth dries out just thinking of them.

My training was going well until 2 weeks ago. After my 16 miler two weekends ago, I was feeling burnt out so decided just to take a week off (with the added bonus of resting my suddenly irritated IT band). Don't I come down with a cold that turned into a minor upper respitory infection on Monday of this week! So it's been almost 2 weeks since I ran and my first full is 36 days away! A little stressed but I'm going to try to go out for some easy do-whatever-feels-best mileage this weekend then get back on track for real next week.

How often do you take a GU while running a full? Do you hit every water stop? How about the bananas i have heard that are on the course? I enjoyed the 10 mile. Took a GU at 3 1/2 and 7 1/2.
This is something that each of us needs to figure out individually. What works for me may or may not work for you. That said, I have one gel every 30 minutes when going for a PR, and one every hour when just going for fun.

I see you're from PA - are you running Philly? That will be my first full too. Very nerve wracking!

I am! I'm actually surprised at how calm I've been about it, lol. I was a ball of nerves for WEEKS before my first 10 miler (Broad Street) and half (Oddyssey). I'm sure it will kick in the week before the race, but I'm enjoying the calmness right now. I just go out and do whatever my plan is for. I think my 16 miler really helped keep me calm because it went so well. Well, better than I imagined it would anyway, lol.

3. Just curious- what shoes does everyone swear by? Obviously it depends on your foot/ strike/ pronation. I'm a neutral runner, teeny tiny pronation, and intend to heel-strike. I used to be obsessed with Asics Kayanos and then Brooks Adrenaline, but I detest the new styles of each (haven't tried the kayano 21s yet though.) I recently bought the Nike Flyknit lunar 2's and LOVE them. I swore off nike a long time ago, but these might be winners...

ooh shoes. Love it! I am a neutral runner and I rotate between two shoes. For long and easy days I run on Asics gel Nimbus 16's. OMG I love them so much. I had the gel cumulus last year and I went to a new running store this year and they tried me in the nimbus and the difference is awesome in terms of how much more cushy and soft the nimbus is. For speed days and tempo days and for the actual race I wear Brooks Launch. Again from the new store and they are totally amazing for me and nothing that I would normally wear. I like cushy and soft and these are hard but that hardness makes them so much faster for me. The first run I did in them I shaved a minute off of my mile for six straight miles without trying. They just kick back up practically by themselves and keep my turnover really popping, I almost feel like my legs are dragging the rest of my body along. The guy at the running store really had to force me to try them out and I am so happy he did.

Ok, kind of weird, apparently I really have a relationship with my running shoes. :rotfl:

Man, now I feel behind! I did 10 today...felt great, but not particularly fast. I'm doing a half next weekend, it will be my second ever. I've never done more than 13.1, so I'm going to knock the long run back to 8 after the half, then 15 the week after. I'm afraid I'm under training for the full, but I'm pretty overweight for a runner and worry about my feet and knees getting hurt from too frequent long runs. If I stick with my plan, I'll hit my 20 miler three weeks before marathon weekend, and taper to 12 and 8 the two weeks before. I'm completely uninterested in making good time...just so excited to do something I thought was not possible for me

I completed a mini Goofy Challenge this weekend through the Runner's World Half and Festival. They had a 5k and 10k yesterday and a half today, which was called the Hat Trick. It was definitely tough on my body but I survived, which gives me hope for January.

I hope everyone else had a productive running weekend :)

I am! I'm actually surprised at how calm I've been about it, lol. I was a ball of nerves for WEEKS before my first 10 miler (Broad Street) and half (Oddyssey). I'm sure it will kick in the week before the race, but I'm enjoying the calmness right now. I just go out and do whatever my plan is for. I think my 16 miler really helped keep me calm because it went so well. Well, better than I imagined it would anyway, lol.

I ran Oddyssey too! I loved that race!

Was supposed to run 12 to see if I was ready to push for marathon distances and felt so good that I ran 13.2 - and my fastest miles were my last two miles and my heart rate was low and steady. I am going to register for the marathon tomorrow.

Feels great to be training for something again - and to be planning another trip to WDW! :goodvibes

I did 21 miles today.(I can't believe I went that far) I did a run/walk/run for the first 17 miles then just walked the rest. Every time I increase my mileage, I walk the increase part. the 18-21. For the first time I had no leg cramps. I used Crank sports E-gel every 3-4 miles, plus a salt tab every 90 minutes. and lots of water. Took me 5 hours 35 minutes.
I have been following Jeff Galloway plan.

Was supposed to run 12 to see if I was ready to push for marathon distances and felt so good that I ran 13.2 - and my fastest miles were my last two miles and my heart rate was low and steady. I am going to register for the marathon tomorrow. Feels great to be training for something again - and to be planning another trip to WDW! :goodvibes
Fantastic!! Congrats!!

I did 21 miles today.(I can't believe I went that far) I did a run/walk/run for the first 17 miles then just walked the rest. Every time I increase my mileage, I walk the increase part. the 18-21. For the first time I had no leg cramps. I used Crank sports E-gel every 3-4 miles, plus a salt tab every 90 minutes. and lots of water. Took me 5 hours 35 minutes. I have been following Jeff Galloway plan.
Awesome!!!

Man, now I feel behind! I did 10 today...felt great, but not particularly fast. I'm doing a half next weekend, it will be my second ever. I've never done more than 13.1, so I'm going to knock the long run back to 8 after the half, then 15 the week after. I'm afraid I'm under training for the full, but I'm pretty overweight for a runner and worry about my feet and knees getting hurt from too frequent long runs. If I stick with my plan, I'll hit my 20 miler three weeks before marathon weekend, and taper to 12 and 8 the two weeks before. I'm completely uninterested in making good time...just so excited to do something I thought was not possible for me

My training plan sounds very similar to yours, u also felt behind after reading this board-it makes me feel a little better to hear someone else is on the same page as me!

This weekend I ran the farthest run I have ever done but I also had to walk some for the first time ever in a run. I'm far removed from high school when I was a cross country runner but I still have trouble throttling back some on the runs which I think is what caused me to have to walk some this weekend. I probably ran the 7 miles on Friday a little too fast and went out too fast for my 17 miles on Saturday. That combination caused me to have to start walk/run after mile 14 just so I could finish. I'm not going for a fast time and really just want to finish the Goofy Challenge and enjoy the race but I'm not sure I'm exactly training as if that's the case. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my competitive nature under control enough to get through everything and not over do it too much. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter