• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Ran the Plano Texas Balloon Festival 1/2 Marathon this past Sunday. Felt like Florida too. High temps and no breeze to speak of the whole way. Considering I pulled my right hamstring 2 weeks ago, I consider my 03:05:25 finish time admirable. Used a 1 minute walk, 1 minute run pace to take it easy. That worked fine the first 7 or so miles, then my leg wouldn't cooperate. I ended up walking the last 5 miles.

And submitted to Disney already. Now a couple weeks of taking it easy so my hammy can heal and then back to it. 15 mile training run October 5th. Bring it.

Submitted a 1/2 for Proof of time from Sunday, 2:02, for the Full! My brother submitted a 1:37. Based on last years corrals I'm hoping maybe H for me and C for him, does that seem about right to anyone from last year!

Looking back on another site where people discussed their bibs, a 2:02 might have fallen anywhere between H-K. Your brother would probably be around C from the looks of it. From that old discussion it seems like there's some overlap in at least some of the corrals -- at least one instance I saw of people having submitted the same time but being one corral apart from one another.

Submitted a 1/2 for Proof of time from Sunday, 2:02, for the Full! My brother submitted a 1:37. Based on last years corrals I'm hoping maybe H for me and C for him, does that seem about right to anyone from last year!

This year I submitted a half time of 2:13 for the full. I was in Corral H.

I think DS would have a blast in the kid races, if we fly in Friday morning at 10:15 is that too late to make the 1 mile race at 12:30 - I figure I would have to take a cab to the hotel to have any chance but it seems like I would be cutting it too close.

I don't think you have a chance of making it. First, getting off the plane, getting through the airport, getting to transportation. Taking a cab, you would need to get straight to the exit to get to the race area without a stop at the hotel...loads of people trying to get in there and park. (and what to do with the luggage?)

And it is NOT a short walk to get from parking to the main area and then back to the kid's races. Pretty sure DS walked a mile before taking part in his Mickey Mile! Plus you have to get the bibs.

No, it's not going to work. Hate to be so blunt, but when airlines and airports and transportation and bib-retrieval are involved, there's just no wiggle room.

Figure on having the kids races being a part of the plan the NEXT time. :)

I don't think you have a chance of making it. First, getting off the plane, getting through the airport, getting to transportation. Taking a cab, you would need to get straight to the exit to get to the race area without a stop at the hotel...loads of people trying to get in there and park. (and what to do with the luggage?) And it is NOT a short walk to get from parking to the main area and then back to the kid's races. Pretty sure DS walked a mile before taking part in his Mickey Mile! Plus you have to get the bibs. No, it's not going to work. Hate to be so blunt, but when airlines and airports and transportation and bib-retrieval are involved, there's just no wiggle room. Figure on having the kids races being a part of the plan the NEXT time. :)
Thanks for the info - this is exactly what I was looking for. Guess we will just have to fly in on Thursday instead. ☺️

I don't know if anyone has provided any updates earlier in the thread on availability, but you might check the runDisney page for information about what charities there are and whether or not they have any spots left for you to do the marathon that way. Depending on the costs and fundraising requirements, it could be cheaper -- if there are still any spots available. Otherwise, yes you can register for the Goofy and only run the marathon. You pick up a bib to allow you to run both races (maybe you get super motivated to do them both!), but you would only pick up the Mickey Marathon medal at the finish line since you would be missing the bracelet handed out at the half marathon finish to claim the Goofy medal.

Castle2Castle - I want to thank you for taking the time to send me a message to make sure I know how to navigate the forum. Considering it was 2 months ago and I just now found it, I obviously needed the assistance. Still have a few posts to go before I can send a message in return so Thank You again!!

This week last year, the race medals were released. What are the chances they stick to that schedule and release the 2015 medals in the next few days? I know Goofy is already out, but I'm anxious to see the rest.

I've been anxiously awaiting pictures of the medals myself. I checked runDisney's Instagram account a few weeks ago and saw this week last year was the time they released images of the 2014 Marathon Weekend medals.

Plus it was a few weeks ago they released the medals for the Avengers Races, so Marathon Weekend is next! So hopefully they are shown soon!

This year I submitted a half time of 2:13 for the full. I was in Corral H.

Holy Smokes. My 3:05 time will put me in Corral Y just ahead of the people that don't submit a time at all in corral Z. *note hyperbole* I really don't hope there are more corrals than this year.

I posted this on my pre-trip/training thread, but I thought I should post it here too. The last few months I've been noticing a soreness/aching along the lateral side of my left leg, usually down near my knee, but sometimes up near my hip as well. It seems to flare up during car rides or anytime I'm sitting with my leg in a bent position for an extended period of time. Is this the dreaded IT band that runners talk about? It's not even very painful; it just bothers me a little and makes me nervous that it will get worse and interrupt my training. I've started using the foam rollers at the gym during the week, but I don't even know if I'm doing it right. When and how often should I be rolling? A few times a week? After every run? Just when it's bothering me?

I posted this on my pre-trip/training thread, but I thought I should post it here too. The last few months I've been noticing a soreness/aching along the lateral side of my left leg, usually down near my knee, but sometimes up near my hip as well. It seems to flare up during car rides or anytime I'm sitting with my leg in a bent position for an extended period of time. Is this the dreaded IT band that runners talk about? It's not even very painful; it just bothers me a little and makes me nervous that it will get worse and interrupt my training. I've started using the foam rollers at the gym during the week, but I don't even know if I'm doing it right. When and how often should I be rolling? A few times a week? After every run? Just when it's bothering me?
That's an ITB issue. There are lots of online resources you can find to help with strengthening and stretching your ITB. A great place to start is the Runner's World website. They have several videos showing yoga poses and other treatments for a tight/sore/inflamed IT band.

Here's a link to some videos...one of them is IT Band specific:

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/foam-roller-video-series

I think at least a few times a week...I've heard others do it after every run. :confused3

Glad you brought it up, that's something I need to be better about.

I do the rolls in Ariel484's link after every run. I've noticed they help tremendously especially after long/hard runs. I feel a great deal less sore/tight after doing them. Plus doing them frequently is supposed to help keep you injury free.

They can hurt for a while if your muscles are really tight so be ready for that!

Another link that might be useful in figuring out what's bothering you and what to do about it: http://www.runnersworld.com/inside-the-doctors-office

The two specific videos on what might be bothering you:

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-how-beat-hip-pain

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/inside-doctors-office-dr-jordan-metzl-it-band-syndrome

Okay I am hoping knows who manufactures this or can at least point me in the right direction.

So today I bought a full blown hydration pack to use for marathon training. Because with me two 20 oz bottles aren't going to cut in the 10+ mile runs. Or at the minimum I don't want to have to sanction my fluids to get through a run.

The thing is with the purchase I'm now thinking of stop using my old belt with exceptions (like when races forbid runners using backpacks). So I'm trying to find the smaller belts that come with built in bib holders that I've seen sold at the expos before. Because I will be carrying most of my stuff in my pack I thought going down to one would be nice rather then having to continue messing with the pins when not necessary.

So does anyone know where I can look at the belts?

Okay I am hoping knows who manufactures this or can at least point me in the right direction.

So today I bought a full blown hydration pack to use for marathon training. Because with me two 20 oz bottles aren't going to cut in the 10+ mile runs. Or at the minimum I don't want to have to sanction my fluids to get through a run.

The thing is with the purchase I'm now thinking of stop using my old belt with exceptions (like when races forbid runners using backpacks). So I'm trying to find the smaller belts that come with built in bib holders that I've seen sold at the expos before. Because I will be carrying most of my stuff in my pack I thought going down to one would be nice rather then having to continue messing with the pins when not necessary.

So does anyone know where I can look at the belts?

I have one by Fitletic currently, and used to have one by Fuelbelt. They are/were both great. The only reason I switched was because I went from an iPhone to a Galaxy and the Galaxy didn't fit in the Fuelbelt. I recommend both, and I'm pretty sure they both can be found online.

The WISH meet for 2015 will be on Friday, 4 pm at POP food court with a group photo at 4:30 pm.

Also we will be meeting before and after the races at the "I" flag instead of the "W" flag ( I for Inspired). We had issues at both Marathon weekend and Princess with the W flag being in the area of port-o-potty lines, not very comfy or good smelling.

There are Event pages on the WISH group's FB page listing the events.

I have one by Fitletic currently, and used to have one by Fuelbelt. They are/were both great. The only reason I switched was because I went from an iPhone to a Galaxy and the Galaxy didn't fit in the Fuelbelt. I recommend both, and I'm pretty sure they both can be found online.

Thanks for the info. I ended up going with one of the Fitletic belts myself after seeing your post and looking around online.

Now just to wait for it to arrive so I can play around with it before my next half marathon!

Thanks for the info. I ended up going with one of the Fitletic belts myself after seeing your post and looking around online.

Now just to wait for it to arrive so I can play around with it before my next half marathon!

I have a Fitletic double pouch belt that I really like. It fits well and doesn't move too much after I tighten it all the way, I think I only adjusted it once maybe during my 1/2 on Sunday. Fits my iphone 5 in otterbox perfect too.

I'm looking for a GPS watch,.....not too pricey but I also want the stop watch action so I can have it count down 3 mins then count up 1 minute. I am trying to stick with my Galloway plan but checking my watch constantly stinks (I don't have a stop watch now...just regular watch) It seems I search on Google and just get overwhelmed... Hoping for some good advice from my other WISHers. Any ideas??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter