• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

I want to try Hidgon's plan, but I don't think I can do those 6-8 milers during the week. I only have about 3 hours after I get home from work before I go to bed, and I don't want to spend half of that running, plus another hour round trip if I go to the gym! :eek:

And no, I can't get up at 4:30am to do them in the morning! :rotfl:

I want to try Hidgon's plan, but I don't think I can do those 6-8 milers during the week. I only have about 3 hours after I get home from work before I go to bed, and I don't want to spend half of that running, plus another hour round trip if I go to the gym! :eek:

And no, I can't get up at 4:30am to do them in the morning! :rotfl:

I think that part of the plan scares me more than anything...:eek:

I thought about moving them to Fridays (I work from home so my hours are more flexible that day) but then I'd be running long/long-ish 2-3 days in a row every week, which seems like a recipe for injury. So I guess I'll be running Wednesdays after work or getting up earlier. It's just one day a week, right? RIGHT??? :scared1:

I used Hal Higdon's plan for the marathon last year and I'm changing this year for Goify training. One 20 mile run wasn't enough for me. I'm using a modified Jeff Galloway one. I run more than the 3 days a week he endorses, but I like his longer runs better.

I have sort of cobbled together a plan from various sources. RunKeeper, personal experience and the Runner's World Smart Coach website.

At the moment, I am training for a half in August which will lead me right into the beginning of Goofy training in September. However, I am pretty much keeping the Goofy training in the back of my mind for the next couple of months.

For Goofy, I will be training for the back to back races that it will entail. The main focus is tempo/speed work and back to back long runs. By the time I get near the end of training, there will be at least a couple weeks where I run 10 miles one day and 20 the next. Essentially the first long run will be half of what the next day's big long run would be.

Come race days, I am going to take it easy during the half to conserve my energy and legs for the full. With the training I am going to do I anticipate I should have plenty left in the tank to run the 26.2 on Sunday.

I think that part of the plan scares me more than anything...:eek:

I thought about moving them to Fridays (I work from home so my hours are more flexible that day) but then I'd be running long/long-ish 2-3 days in a row every week, which seems like a recipe for injury. So I guess I'll be running Wednesdays after work or getting up earlier. It's just one day a week, right? RIGHT??? :scared1:

I am definitely going to try to get them in. I'm having trouble right now getting in the 5 miles I have planned during the week, but I hope I will be more disciplined by then. The trouble I have now is that I have recently moved and my commute has doubled. By the time I get home, I'm tired and hungry and the 5 miles turns into 4, turns into 3, turns into once around the block, turns into drinking beer instead. ;)

I am definitely going to try to get them in. I'm having trouble right now getting in the 5 miles I have planned during the week, but I hope I will be more disciplined by then. The trouble I have now is that I have recently moved and my commute has doubled. By the time I get home, I'm tired and hungry and the 5 miles turns into 4, turns into 3, turns into once around the block, turns into drinking beer instead. ;)

:rotfl2:

So what sort of training plan is everyone doing? Care to share the website? I was just going to make up my own but I think I will feel more diligent if I have something to go by. I've already told my zumba friends and volleyball team that I'm not committing to anything this fall except for my training. I just don't want it to be a nice day out, but I have a game to go to, ya know?
I'm still in recovery mode after Comrades. I'll go into summer mode (less running, more swimming) in a week or two and start training again in September.

Odd question: Does anyone know what happens to a spot if someone defers? Does it go to one of the charity or travel groups? Or just go unused?

Just curious, I am deferring and just wondered what happens to it.

Odd question: Does anyone know what happens to a spot if someone defers? Does it go to one of the charity or travel groups? Or just go unused?

Just curious, I am deferring and just wondered what happens to it.

Most marathons sell about 15% more spaces than they can actually hold. I assume that deferrals and no-shows both go into that.

Joining this thread since I just registered for the Goofy challenge!

I ran the Glass Slipper Challenge this year and have completed 3 other (non disney) half marathons, but this will be my first full.

Joining this thread since I just registered for the Goofy challenge! I ran the Glass Slipper Challenge this year and have completed 3 other (non disney) half marathons, but this will be my first full.

I had a feeling someone was going to end up registering for that! Good to see you over here!

Just finished reading the whole thread.

This will be my 1st marathon, and I'm really excited. In fact it will be my first running event in over 10 years since high school track.

Since last year I have lost about 75lbs and wanted a goal to keep me motivated so here I am. Wish me luck. My goal is to just make to the finish line in one piece.

Any idea of when the host hotels will be announced?

Good job on the weight loss!!For the WDW Marathon weekend in January every WDW hotel is a host hotel and have buses to and from the races.

Just finished reading the whole thread. This will be my 1st marathon, and I'm really excited. In fact it will be my first running event in over 10 years since high school track. Since last year I have lost about 75lbs and wanted a goal to keep me motivated so here I am. Wish me luck. My goal is to just make to the finish line in one piece. Any idea of when the host hotels will be announced?

CONGRATS on your weight loss!!! And I don't think you'll need much luck, it seems that you've got more than it takes to do this!!!

The 2015 Marathon will be my first marathon and I'm super excited. I will be going by myself though. My original plan was that someone would go with me and I could get my picture taken at every mile marker. Are there handlers at the mile markers that could take my picture with the markers or will I probably have to settle for just pictures of the markers?

The 2015 Marathon will be my first marathon and I'm super excited. I will be going by myself though. My original plan was that someone would go with me and I could get my picture taken at every mile marker. Are there handlers at the mile markers that could take my picture with the markers or will I probably have to settle for just pictures of the markers?

Usually not handlers at all the mile markers but there should be plenty of runners who would take the picture for you.

Between CMs, volunteers, and spectators, there is almost always someone around that is willing to help out.

The only mile marker that I remember a handler being present was at 13. But I snapped pictures of other people at some markers when they asked, so I'm sure you can get help from other runners.

Usually not handlers at all the mile markers but there should be plenty of runners who would take the picture for you.

I saw runners taking selfies, offered to take many pics for other runners, and had no problem asking other runners to take my pics during the princess half marathon-everybody was very friendly and willing to help each other out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter