Official 2014 Dopey Challenge Thread!

Is the requirement for a 10K or longer race? Where do you live that you can't find a 10K between now and Nov. 1? Maybe because I live in a runner-friendly town (certainly more 5Ks than 10ks), but there are dozens of races I can choose from. :confused3

There aren't many races in my neck of the woods. I'm excited when I find a local 5k to run. 10ks are very rare. AND I am doing Dopey, so I will need a half time to submit anyway.

Also noticed that they changed the race length requirement for the marathon (and therefore the goofy and dopey) to 10M vs. the old 10K. With not too many 10 milers out there, basically means you have to find a half.

Also noticed that they changed the race length requirement for the marathon (and therefore the goofy and dopey) to 10M vs. the old 10K. With not too many 10 milers out there, basically means you have to find a half.

If you're going to run a full marathon, running a half is not a bad requirement.

I don't think it's completely unreasonable to expect that someone who is signing up for 26.2 miles (or more) to have finished a half marathon in the past 18 months...
There have been a lot of complaints about inaccurate corral placement and I think this is runDisney's way of trying to fix that problem. Obviously this isn't going to be a complete fix because there are plenty of people like me who run the Disney Half marathon as their first race. As I have gotten faster and more experience I have moved my way from the back corrals closer toward the front corrals but that's because I run a few half marathons every year.
I met a woman at the Princess who was annoyed that she started in the back as she anticipated finishing around 2 hours but sshe had no proof of time above a 5k. She lost about a minute per mile due to congestion. While I totally feel her pain and appreciate that congestion is worse in the later corrals, the proof of time rules are what they are. Unfortunately not everyone is honest enough about their pace (or knowledgeable in some cases) for runDisney to rely on estimated finish times.
I'm hoping to PR my half marathon in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if I should just wait to register for the full until I have my (hopefully) new time.

Amanda

I think it's a great change and should help to reduce the overcrowding and congestion on the course.

I think the proof of time for anything faster than a 3 hour half is fine and will likely help them better sort the middle corrals.

I don't know that it will reduce crowding, there will still be the same number of people in each Corrals. 2k+ people running at the same pace trying to get around those on ramps is still going to be tight.

It should reduce the number of people that submit bogus times at the expo, but I'm not sure how widespread of a problem this is. Having the timing cutoff 2.5 months ahead of the race does make it more difficult to submit times though, so you will likely wind up with faster runners in the later corrals and that's nto a great situation either.

I don't know that it will reduce crowding, there will still be the same number of people in each Corrals. 2k+ people running at the same pace trying to get around those on ramps is still going to be tight.

It should reduce the number of people that submit bogus times at the expo, but I'm not sure how widespread of a problem this is. Having the timing cutoff 2.5 months ahead of the race does make it more difficult to submit times though, so you will likely wind up with faster runners in the later corrals and that's nto a great situation either.

I brought proof of time to the Expo for the Goofy and was placed further forward than I expected. A friend brought proof of time from a Canadian race in kilometers/min and they didn't look closely enough to realize it and put her in Corral A (she declined but still got moved further forward than her pace would have placed her). Other people were not moved at all. It seemed to be random and dependent on which volunteer you asked. I think the inconsistency of the process was an issue.
There will always be fast runners who have never run a distance race before but it's hard to know how to adjust for that.

Amanda

I wasn't assuming the same number of people in each corral. I'd figure they would reduce the size of the first corrals and increase the size of the latter ones.

I brought proof of time to the Expo for the Goofy and was placed further forward than I expected. A friend brought proof of time from a Canadian race in kilometers/min and they didn't look closely enough to realize it and put her in Corral A (she declined but still got moved further forward than her pace would have placed her). Other people were not moved at all. It seemed to be random and dependent on which volunteer you asked. I think the inconsistency of the process was an issue.
There will always be fast runners who have never run a distance race before but it's hard to know how to adjust for that.

Amanda

I know Disney is an analytical powerhouse, and I'm sure this fundamentally came down to a question of how to get people most accurately grouped by time. Is the number of people that are unable to submit a proof of time because the process is more onerous less than the number of people who are put in the wrong corral either through user error or deception. My guess is that they also waited the decision thinking most of the people that can't submit times are less experienced runners thus more likely to be towards the back of the corrals.

If I'm reading the results right, there were 1787 marathon finishers in 2013 with a net time > 7 hours. Assuming similar runners would be assigned the last corral in 2014, maybe a lot more people will be swept. The last corral might be the least congested for moderately fast walkers.

If I'm reading the results right, there were 1787 marathon finishers in 2013 with a net time > 7 hours. Assuming similar runners would be assigned the last corral in 2014, maybe a lot more people will be swept. The last corral might be the least congested for moderately fast walkers.

At the same time, though, I think a lot of people doing Disney races are perfectly capable of picking up the pace if need be. I know I ended up at nearly 3:50 for the Princess because I stopped for 8 pictures and 2 bathroom breaks (overhydrated). In a non-Disney run, I run 3-3:15. If I were in the last corral at Disney, I would pick up the pace and finish under 3:30, but since I have the option to stop for pictures and go over pace, I do...I think there are lot of others in the same boat.

So are any of you ladies going to Disney World and doing the Dopey by yourself? My husband and I are already going in November, so if I do the Dopey it might have to be a solo trip :scared1: I've never gone solo before, haha.

But if the people you're running with are *generally* going the same speed as you, there should be less weaving around people required and things should flow a little more smoothly. Theoretically. Mixing in a bunch of people who have never run a marathon before but submitted a 5:00 time with people who can actually run a 5:00 marathon probably didn't help the need to duck and weave...

Yup, this is a big deal for me. It says after January 2012 and prior to November 1, 2013. In that time period I had a baby and have no proof of time. I was counting on my Wine and Dine time for my corral change at the expo, but that falls after the deadline. I'm not sure if I can find any local races before then that I can qualify with.

You can always get moved up at the expo. I did this last year I a forgot to submit a new proof of time. They moved me up to where I needed to be and I was happy about that.

Never mind I just read on the official that you cannot do that. Crap!

So are any of you ladies going to Disney World and doing the Dopey by yourself? My husband and I are already going in November, so if I do the Dopey it might have to be a solo trip :scared1: I've never gone solo before, haha.

I am - I have signed up through Runner's World for the additional support. Now I am broke - LOL. Happy to meet up!

That seems a ton more strict.

And I am so very very thankful! At least you are able to update your time. Many of the events I register for don't allow any changes to be made to proof of time.

I'm hoping to PR my half marathon in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if I should just wait to register for the full until I have my (hopefully) new time.

Don't wait! You have until 11/01/13 to submit your new time! I registered today and included a 15k time. Just started racing again post-baby. But I'll will be running 3-1/2s and a full in the fall and will update my time.

...maybe a lot more people will be swept. The last corral might be the least congested for moderately fast walkers.

I think you're correct which may change the appeal of the runDisney events. It use to be considered a great "first" race for newbies.

I'll be solo Wed-Fri pm. My family will be joining me on Saturday afternoon. I have a 1yo so I don't want to disrupt her schedule too much.

I am - I have signed up through Runner's World for the additional support. Now I am broke - LOL. Happy to meet up!

Me too! Are you going Dopey?

I registered today for the Dopey RWC. Active.com locked up twice but it did open before 12pm. I may have sneaked in too early.

Also, I called the WDW sports company regarding travel packages today. If you are booking a room through Disney, you can add on the registration for the race and avoid the active.com fees. The fee for the Dopey was stupid!!! Grrr..... This is the first year they are able to do this. The guy I spoke with said their offices open at 8:30 but he wasn't sure if you'd have to wait until 12pm to book.

Hi!

Yes, Dopey. Yeah, $75 was steep for the privilege of registering.

Happy to have signed up and excited about the Runner's World Challenge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter