• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2014 Donald Half Marathon

Hi. New here and new to running. I'd been trying to be healthier in general when my DD took up running early this year. DH is a runner - mostly 5K's. So, DD hatched a plan (I think just to get the trip to Disney she's been working on for a couple of years that we've been unable to do) - and decided that she and her dad needed to run in Marathon weekend! He fell for it :rotfl: - and in an effort to not be left out I told him to sign me up for the 5K. Well, she wanted to do all 4 races - he didn't - so by the time he gave in and went online to register the 5K and 10K were full - so they signed up to run both the half and full marathon and I said "just sign me up for the half marathon". What was I THINKING????

So now I'm using the Jeff Galloway 5K app - then progressing to the 10K and might walk/run a 10K in Sept when I hit the end of that - sounds like that would be a really good plan - and then on to the 1/2 marathon at Disney! I really like the run/walk approach - can't ever see myself without the walk breaks - but I hope to get where I'm running more than walking. I figure my pace doesn't really need to get a whole lot faster if I can just improve the ratio of running to walking.

I'm totally unaware of what I'm up against...probably better that way or I'd be scared and start convincing myself I can't do it. But if I can't think of anywhere that would be more motivating to achieve such an accomplishment. And with my DH and DD doing their first big runs too! So I'll be checking in for all the good advice everyone has. And I'm glad to hear there are many other beginners!

:cheer2:

Well, she wanted to do all 4 races - he didn't - so by the time he gave in and went online to register the 5K and 10K were full - so they signed up to run both the half and full marathon and I said "just sign me up for the half marathon". What was I THINKING????

I realized late in the game that I had access to signing up early. I kept going in to sign up, then I would chicken out. And finally I went in to sign up for my intended race, the 10K, and all the early registration spots were gone. I didn't even realize that could happen. So then my dilemma was should I sign up for something else to make sure I got something, or should I wait for normal registration? If I signed up for something else, then I wouldn't be looking at the 10K. If I waited, what if I got nothing? Ack!

So I signed my son and I up for the 5K, got him signed up for the mickey mile the next day, then the following day I'm doing the Half.

I think I mentioned all this before, but you had just told your story which feels similar, so I thought I woudl share. :)

"Luckily", just before this, I signed up for the October TOT 10-miler. So that'll give me practice. Yikes!

It wasn't even a year ago that I was hurting my way through a couch to 5K program...and here I am planning for all of that.... In a couple days, the 10-miler Galloway plan begins, and not long after that his Half program begins if I remember correctly. Have you found that on the rundisney site?

Best of luck to you!!!!!

"It wasn't even a year ago that I was hurting my way through a couch to 5K program...and here I am planning for all of that.... In a couple days, the 10-miler Galloway plan begins, and not long after that his Half program begins if I remember correctly. Have you found that on the rundisney site?

yes - DH was so excited to have someone else in the family running he printed out the training plans for us. He keeps wanting to buy me workout clothes - and I tell him "I'm doing ONE race - and with any luck at all I won't even begin to fit into the size I wear now by the time the race rolls around - so stop." Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for DD and she is now loaded with incredibly cute workout clothes :worried:. I did let him get me a good pair of running shoes though and am incredibly glad I did that - really helps all the problems I've had when I tried to jog in the past.
But I got Galloway's 5K app on my phone because I like someone just telling me - run now - walk now and I don't have to keep watching the time - and the 5K was a very affordable way to try it out. And I've loaded music on that it speeds up for runs and slows down for walks. I understand that on "race day" there's an issue with it getting stuck on one song the whole time - that will be a problem - but too far off to worry about just yet.

yes - DH was so excited to have someone else in the family running he printed out the training plans for us. He keeps wanting to buy me workout clothes - and I tell him "I'm doing ONE race - and with any luck at all I won't even begin to fit into the size I wear now by the time the race rolls around - so stop."

I dunno...getting some nice workout gear can really make a person happy! Even if it's only temporary, if you end up donating it in a month or two or three and having to by a smaller size, it can be worth it! Even just getting some nice technical-fabric clothing from Target can be a nice mental boost. You might consider taking him up on that offer! :)

Remind him that when you get smaller you'll have to buy even more clothes, and go for it. :)

"It wasn't even a year ago that I was hurting my way through a couch to 5K program...and here I am planning for all of that.... In a couple days, the 10-miler Galloway plan begins, and not long after that his Half program begins if I remember correctly. Have you found that on the rundisney site?

yes - DH was so excited to have someone else in the family running he printed out the training plans for us. He keeps wanting to buy me workout clothes - and I tell him "I'm doing ONE race - and with any luck at all I won't even begin to fit into the size I wear now by the time the race rolls around - so stop." Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for DD and she is now loaded with incredibly cute workout clothes :worried:. I did let him get me a good pair of running shoes though and am incredibly glad I did that - really helps all the problems I've had when I tried to jog in the past.
But I got Galloway's 5K app on my phone because I like someone just telling me - run now - walk now and I don't have to keep watching the time - and the 5K was a very affordable way to try it out. And I've loaded music on that it speeds up for runs and slows down for walks. I understand that on "race day" there's an issue with it getting stuck on one song the whole time - that will be a problem - but too far off to worry about just yet.

Another thing to consider about buying new clothes... it can save you some discomfort. Cotton is fine to run a mile... two.. maybe even three in. However get up there over a 10k and wear cotton items and you are likely to have a bad time. ;) Now... you are training during warm months... but in the case of training during colder ones... well, good gear can make the difference between frozen fingers...and nice cozy ones. (assuming you run outside) Good fitting clothing makes a difference too. Again... few miles with some clothes that are too loose or too snug... maybe fine. More miles though... and again... bad time.

Another thing to consider about buying new clothes... it can save you some discomfort. Cotton is fine to run a mile... two.. maybe even three in. However get up there over a 10k and wear cotton items and you are likely to have a bad time. ;) Now... you are training during warm months... but in the case of training during colder ones... well, good gear can make the difference between frozen fingers...and nice cozy ones. (assuming you run outside) Good fitting clothing makes a difference too. Again... few miles with some clothes that are too loose or too snug... maybe fine. More miles though... and again... bad time.

So true.

Years ago I walked with a work group in a local walk/run...this year the longer run is 12K but I'm not sure if that's the exact mileage that it was then. I wore cotton shorts; it was just a walk, right? No big deal? By the end I was crying and in dreadful pain from the chafing. It was ghastly. And that sort of chafing hurts for days and days.

OMG I Hate cotton clothes during running with a passion. So much hurt. Unless you're going to wear an underarmour-type shirt underneath, like a compression shirt, then don't bother wearing cotton.

OMG I Hate cotton clothes during running with a passion. So much hurt. Unless you're going to wear an underarmour-type shirt underneath, like a compression shirt, then don't bother wearing cotton.

My running changed for the better the day that I discovered compression shorts. Every runner should own a pair (or 6). No chafing, moisture wicking and support for the rear, quads, hamstrings and groin muscles when they get tired (which means fewer injuries).

hmmm - I will have to give more thought to the clothes eventually. We did get a dry wick sort of tank top the other day and so far I hate it - in order to get it not too big in the underarms, it's just snug everywhere else and I'm so used to loose clothing it bugs me. I suspect most running gear is made for slender folk? But, I'll give it another try another time.
I guess I'm just not running enough distance yet to have clothing issues - I like my cotton :worried:. Although I do get really hot - that's why I caved to try the sleeveless top instead of my standard t-shirt - didn't help that problem that I noticed.
We have talked about compression socks - DH and DD both now have them - so the compression shorts (or capris maybe? I don't do shorts.) sounds interesting.

I'm registered for Donald. Really need to make myself run more or I'm not going to be ready but motivation is hard lately for some reason!

I'm running to celebrate my 5 year cancerversary so I have to make it, lol.

I'm registered for Donald. Really need to make myself run more or I'm not going to be ready but motivation is hard lately for some reason!

I'm running to celebrate my 5 year cancerversary so I have to make it, lol.

congrats on the anniversary! :D you'll get plenty of motivation here if you need it

I booked my DVC room today from the 8th to the 11th. Weird to have checkout on Half day but I will have my aunt there with my son so getting stuff out of the room shouldn't be a problem. And it emptied out all our available points so there wasn't much choice for staying at DVC longer :) Excited!

I booked my DVC room today from the 8th to the 11th. Weird to have checkout on Half day but I will have my aunt there with my son so getting stuff out of the room shouldn't be a problem. And it emptied out all our available points so there wasn't much choice for staying at DVC longer :) Excited!

If you don't mind me asking.... was there much available? We are just about to close on our DVC purchase and I am anxious to see what we will be able to book once we do. The marathon weekend trip will be the first trip on points. I know what points are needed at various levels... just not what will actually be available. For the ToT weekend, I read that someone said all DVC resorts were full....so I gave up hope of using points for that trip.:rolleyes:

All I was able to get was SSR. Now, I'll mention that I was booking a studio, and I think they kept giving me availability in 1 bedrooms, but I didn't pay attention to if it was useful or if it was one day available, next day not, etc.

I really wanted OKW, but nope. So we'll rock the SSR studio. :) Let's all hope my aunt is free to come out for a night, so that I don't have to hire sitters to hang out in the room with DS after I get up before dawn, LOL.

The TOT thing might be true, but we got a great rundisney rate at POR so we're happy with that for October. We bought in '09 and have been in a constant state of borrowing, so the fact that the points we have will be 2015 points isn't a surprise. :) Could use them starting next February, but that doesn't help with the Marathon weekend, of course.

I too was surprised there was no OKW studio available. I own there but had to wait until the 7 month window so I could buy some one-time points.

Ended up at SSR as well. I've got BWV wait listed but probably won't happen.

Just came across this thread...I'm in for the 2014 Half! Just ran my first 10K on Sunday, official time is 1:01:51 but I'm going to run another in the fall and see if that time is better before I submit my proof of time for the half.

Also, last week, DD convinced me to do the Princess half with her in 2014, so I'll be running that 6 weeks after the Donald :eek: not sure how that will go but heres hoping :thumbsup2:rotfl:

We are renting DVC points for January and were able to book an OKW studio for 4 nights. I booked back in March though so there was still availability there at that time.

Bumbershoot...are you flying home the day you check out? let me know how that goes...for the Princess, DD and I Are checking out and flying home the day of the half since that race is on a Sunday and I need to be back home in time for school on Monday. Its going to be a long day....

We bought in '09 and have been in a constant state of borrowing, so the fact that the points we have will be 2015 points isn't a surprise. :) Could use them starting next February, but that doesn't help with the Marathon weekend, of course.

Totally hear ya' on the borrowing thing. We bought a stripped contract last summer and have already gone on two short trips (sitting in a studio at HHI currently...) I actually had to buy some one-time points to book January and it won't be until next August that I can even think about borrowing again! As of right now we don't have any WDW trip besides marathon weekend planned for 2014 but we all know how quickly that can change.

Totally hear ya' on the borrowing thing. We bought a stripped contract last summer and have already gone on two short trips (sitting in a studio at HHI currently...) I actually had to buy some one-time points to book January and it won't be until next August that I can even think about borrowing again! As of right now we don't have any WDW trip besides marathon weekend planned for 2014 but we all know how quickly that can change.

I had to buy four one time points for the three days lol. Used 4 remaining points from 2013 uy, 31 leftover from 2014, and still needed those four. If only cheaper OKW had been available!

Well, that is such a bummer about the studios availability. I was thinking about a one bedroom though...so maybe it will work out. If not... waitlist? As I mentioned, this will be/would be our first trip using points.. and should we not be able to, I think my dh is going to feel as though I tricked him into buying something that we couldn't use. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter