Official 2014 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k Thread!

Question about attire for the 10K:

Should I plan to wear a hat/visor?

I usually train in the morning, after sunrise, and I wear a hat for sun protection. Since the race starts at 5:30am, I'm wondering if I'll really need a hat?

I'm more concerned about glare. I normally wear sunnies, but since it will be dark when we start, I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't know things around my head (hats, visors, large headbands etc), makes me feel claustrophobic, so I won't wear a visor. My mum plans to wear one for glare and a bit of sun protection. I'll probably just slather on the sunscreen before we head out for sun protection.

Thanks for the info guys... I had a feeling we would be okay, but its nice to hear it from those who have already been there.

Question about attire for the 10K: Should I plan to wear a hat/visor? I usually train in the morning, after sunrise, and I wear a hat for sun protection. Since the race starts at 5:30am, I'm wondering if I'll really need a hat?

It really depends on your pace, what corral your in, and how sun sensitive you are. The sun comes up really fast on race morning. Usually by the time the back corrals on the Half in previous years are getting ready to go the sun is getting close to peaking up over the horizon so I want to say that's around 6:00-6:05 ish (I just know usually if your in the back your not going to hit the castle before sunrise). And they have the same start times and spacing if memory serves me correct. Not sure what time the back ones will get started this year with the more letters but hopefully not too later.

Personally I always wear a hat because I need the protection from the sun. But that's just me.

I always wear a hat for 3 reasons:

1) I'm bald so it's always nice to have some protection against the sun!
2) It helps with the sweat. Sort of works like a headband.
3) If it rains, it keeps some of the water from your face. Which is nice, especially if you use glasses.

On the sunglasses, I read it's a good idea to have them because the sun is staring at you right on the face when you're in the highway portions of the race. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it sounds right considering the course map & timing.

The sun comes up really fast on race morning. Usually by the time the back corrals on the Half in previous years are getting ready to go the sun is getting close to peaking up over the horizon so I want to say that's around 6:00-6:05 ish (I just know usually if your in the back your not going to hit the castle before sunrise).

On the sunglasses, I read it's a good idea to have them because the sun is staring at you right on the face when you're in the highway portions of the race. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it sounds right considering the course map & timing.

Sounds like it will be worth taking my sunnies then. Thanks :goodvibes

Any idea when the park hours for race weekend will be posted? I've been checking periodically and it appears they are posting park hours in bits and pieces.

Any idea when the park hours for race weekend will be posted? I've been checking periodically and it appears they are posting park hours in bits and pieces.

They actually had them listed in the even guide on one of the pages here is what they show:

Thursday:
Disneyland 9-10
DCA 9-9

Friday
Disneyland 9-Midnight
DCA 9-10

Saturday
Disneyland 9-Midnight
DCA 9-9

Sunday
Disneyland 9-11
DCA 9-10

They actually had them listed in the even guide on one of the pages here is what they show: Thursday: Disneyland 9-10 DCA 9-9 Friday Disneyland 9-Midnight DCA 9-10 Saturday Disneyland 9-Midnight DCA 9-9 Sunday Disneyland 9-11 DCA 9-10

Thanks for the help!

They actually had them listed in the even guide on one of the pages here is what they show:

Thursday:
Disneyland 9-10
DCA 9-9

Friday
Disneyland 9-Midnight
DCA 9-10

Saturday
Disneyland 9-Midnight
DCA 9-9

Sunday
Disneyland 9-11
DCA 9-10

I knew I'd seen hours listed somewhere! Thanks!

I am starting to get my act together - I was way more prepared for the GSC than I have been for DDD so far! But I nailed down my costumes, Cinderella and Wonder Woman (yes, I know she's DC and not Marvel). They are more like Disneybounding in running wear as opposed to the full on costumes I wore at WDW, but I am satisfied and looking forward to wearing them.

I just registered for a mini-DDD the weekend before - a one-miler on August 22nd and a 10-miler on August 23rd. I am not worried about running the races on back-to-back weekends, I am more worried about injuring myself somehow and not being able to race at DL. But even if I have to walk the DDD (which I doubt will actually happen), I will do whatever it takes to get that C2C medal! Photo stops are a good excuse for a mid-race break anyway... ::yes::

Where's a good place to go for dinner the night before? I'll be solo so I'm okay with sitting at a bar to eat. I'm staying on Harbor Blvd and won't have a car so need somewhere within close walking distance. Don't really want to make reservations but will if I have to, don't to be eating at 8PM because I waited too long.
Looking for pasta (of course) or somewhere to get a baked potato. I wasn't planning on going into the parks that day either but the tickets from GET travel didn't look too bad so might add an extra day. It's hard because I want to save my legs & not go crazy but I think if I go into one of the parks I'll want to do everything instead of rest. Looking for any ideas from the DL vets.

Easy walking distance, check out the online menu for Mimi's. It's right on harbor near HoJo.

For anyone who went to Millie's in the past, that place has now closed. Boo. But Mimi's is still there.

Adding on...

In longer walking distance there's Garden Walk with some restaurants. I was thinking Cheesecake Factory might have a potato, but they just have mashed and fries. Drat. They definitely have pasta though!

Easy walking distance, check out the online menu for Mimi's. It's right on harbor near HoJo.

For anyone who went to Millie's in the past, that place has now closed. Boo. But Mimi's is still there.

Adding on...

In longer walking distance there's Garden Walk with some restaurants. I was thinking Cheesecake Factory might have a potato, but they just have mashed and fries. Drat. They definitely have pasta though!

Thanks! I knew about Mimi's and it's right on the way back to the hotel. I saw something about Garden Walk but never even thought of Cheescake Factory. I would just need to keep myself from eating too much there. :)

I saw something about Garden Walk but never even thought of Cheescake Factory. I would just need to keep myself from eating too much there. :)

Definitely.

I love that they have the menu online so you can go in with a plan.

I'm really trying to think of other places, but just can't with the pasta and baked potato wishes. If only pizza were an acceptable pre-race meal, I would totally recommend Pizza Press which is almost across the street from the main entrance. Pizza is almost the same as pasta, right? :)

Where's a good place to go for dinner the night before? I'll be solo so I'm okay with sitting at a bar to eat. I'm staying on Harbor Blvd and won't have a car so need somewhere within close walking distance. Don't really want to make reservations but will if I have to, don't to be eating at 8PM because I waited too long.
Looking for pasta (of course) or somewhere to get a baked potato. I wasn't planning on going into the parks that day either but the tickets from GET travel didn't look too bad so might add an extra day. It's hard because I want to save my legs & not go crazy but I think if I go into one of the parks I'll want to do everything instead of rest. Looking for any ideas from the DL vets.

If you do go into the parks, I chose Wine Country Trattoria in DCA for the all important Race-eve meal.

Sample Menu.

So I'm feeling a bit worried:sad2: I am doing the DDD. Its my first back to back race and its the 2nd half of my coast to coast...and my runners knee has began to act up! The last time this happened was about 6 weeks before I started my training for the PHM, so I had the time to rest it and recoup. Here I am about a month out, behind in my training anyway and I don't know what to do! I need to keep running the distances so that I can complete these races but I don't want to aggravate my knee any more than necessary. I'm looking into taping or a knee strap but I'm looking for some advice. What would you guys do?

Definitely.

I love that they have the menu online so you can go in with a plan.

I'm really trying to think of other places, but just can't with the pasta and baked potato wishes. If only pizza were an acceptable pre-race meal, I would totally recommend Pizza Press which is almost across the street from the main entrance. Pizza is almost the same as pasta, right? :)

They are pretty close but for some reason just don't work the same. I'm pretty sure I've tried & it hasn't been very pretty. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter