**** Official 2014 AUGUST - Disneyland thread ****

I LOVED HIMYM! :thumbsup2

I think the things that I am concerned about are: having to pick where we are going to eat 6 months out, having to try and get FP+ 6 months out and also the difference between how you get the DAS returns times at WDW as compared to how it is done at DL.

Heck, 6 months from when we are looking at going is next month! :eek: We have not even decided IF we are going for sure, let alone where we want to eat!

But...first things first, August! :woohoo:

Question for everyone who has gone to DL before...

Other than Von's, is there any other grocery delivery that you have used? Von's has a $49 minimum order and all I really want is some bottled water and maybe a few other small things and no matter what I do, there is really no way that I can get to the $49 minimum without ordering a whole bunch of things that we don't need and probably won't use.

When we stayed at the Ramada Maingate we bought water from the little shop in front of the hotel. It probably would have been cheaper to get it from the grocery store, but we had free breakfast from the hotel and I packed a bunch of snacks from home, so we didn't need $50 worth from Vons.

When we stayed at the Ramada Maingate we bought water from the little shop in front of the hotel. It probably would have been cheaper to get it from the grocery store, but we had free breakfast from the hotel and I packed a bunch of snacks from home, so we didn't need $50 worth from Vons.

The PVI has a little shop there that sells water for around $1.15/bottle. There are 4 of us and we will probably need 1-2 bottles per day per person. Even if we average 6 bottles per day, that is $34.50 for water. I can get a flat of 35 bottles at Von's for $5.49.

I cannot drink CA water, I don't know what it is but to me it tastes really disgusting so I have to get bottled water.

The PVI has a little shop there that sells water for around $1.15/bottle. There are 4 of us and we will probably need 1-2 bottles per day per person. Even if we average 6 bottles per day, that is $34.50 for water. I can get a flat of 35 bottles at Von's for $5.49.

I cannot drink CA water, I don't know what it is but to me it tastes really disgusting so I have to get bottled water.

How about getting one of those water bottles that has a filter in it? I think the Brita ones are around $10 or so, and then you can ask for cups of water and just pour it into your filter.

How about getting one of those water bottles that has a filter in it? I think the Brita ones are around $10 or so, and then you can ask for cups of water and just pour it into your filter.

I haven't tried that but I wonder if the filter would make a difference to the taste?

The PVI has a little shop there that sells water for around $1.15/bottle. There are 4 of us and we will probably need 1-2 bottles per day per person. Even if we average 6 bottles per day, that is $34.50 for water. I can get a flat of 35 bottles at Von's for $5.49. I cannot drink CA water, I don't know what it is but to me it tastes really disgusting so I have to get bottled water.

If you are getting water that cheap you are likely getting extra-filtered municipal water. So you're likely just drinking ca water anyway unless by chance they've bottled it elsewhere.

I can look after the thread until we leave on the 21st!

Our washing machine broke the day before we left on our DLR trip in 2012! Luckily my parents live just up the street from us, so I was able to drop off all of our dirty laundry with them when we got home. I think it took 3 weeks to fix our washer after we got back because we had to wait for a piece to come in, and then it turned out that the piece her ordered wasn't even the problem!

AWESOME!!!! Thanks so much. I will look forward to your question of the week this Sunday. Not sure when I'll see it as I'll be very busy Sunday but i hope to pop on maybe around Mon night quickly.

I LOVED HIMYM! :thumbsup2

I think the things that I am concerned about are: having to pick where we are going to eat 6 months out, having to try and get FP+ 6 months out and also the difference between how you get the DAS returns times at WDW as compared to how it is done at DL.

Heck, 6 months from when we are looking at going is next month! :eek: We have not even decided IF we are going for sure, let alone where we want to eat!

But...first things first, August! :woohoo:

Question for everyone who has gone to DL before...

Other than Von's, is there any other grocery delivery that you have used? Von's has a $49 minimum order and all I really want is some bottled water and maybe a few other small things and no matter what I do, there is really no way that I can get to the $49 minimum without ordering a whole bunch of things that we don't need and probably won't use.

First, so awesome that you got the reference then!

Regarding the water, do you have Amazon Prime? I just checked, you can get water from them delivered for a low shipping rate for Prime members.

For the WDW stuff, it is more than DLR, but you can do it! I would go ahead and book the room only and make dining reservations. You can cancel if need be. I booked the room so I could do dining, and I have every intention of cancelling it and booking something for a better rate when they come out in a few months. For dining, the DisneyFoodBlog is a good place to start. Just start reading on there, with no real agenda, but it all sticks with you and will help you make your choices. If you are going at a slow time, you will only have to worry about the highly sought after TS ADRs, like BOG or Chef Mickey's. Otherwise, you should be able to find options that work and are good for your family even a few weeks ahead. You just might have to be willing to eat dinner at 4:00 and take your second choices. FP+ is 60 days out, not 180. So you have plenty of time until that, and even then, those can be changed and moved around. :thumbsup2

Re: the Brita filtered water bottles--this is what we've used for a couple of WDW trips and they work great!! Orlando water tastes absolutely horrendous and the filters do a great job of making it taste just fine. I highly recommend them!

We leave in 4 days and I have packed absolutely nothing. Help!

If you are getting water that cheap you are likely getting extra-filtered municipal water. So you're likely just drinking ca water anyway unless by chance they've bottled it elsewhere.

It was regular Dasani bottled water, we got the same bottles at Denny's for the exact same cost, $0.99 plus tax.

First, so awesome that you got the reference then!

Regarding the water, do you have Amazon Prime? I just checked, you can get water from them delivered for a low shipping rate for Prime members.

For the WDW stuff, it is more than DLR, but you can do it! I would go ahead and book the room only and make dining reservations. You can cancel if need be. I booked the room so I could do dining, and I have every intention of cancelling it and booking something for a better rate when they come out in a few months. For dining, the DisneyFoodBlog is a good place to start. Just start reading on there, with no real agenda, but it all sticks with you and will help you make your choices. If you are going at a slow time, you will only have to worry about the highly sought after TS ADRs, like BOG or Chef Mickey's. Otherwise, you should be able to find options that work and are good for your family even a few weeks ahead. You just might have to be willing to eat dinner at 4:00 and take your second choices. FP+ is 60 days out, not 180. So you have plenty of time until that, and even then, those can be changed and moved around. :thumbsup2

I don't have Amazon Prime but that makes me think...I wonder how much it would cost to get a flat of water through Amazon, even with the shipping and also if the hotel would hold it for me if it arrives a bit before we do...?

Re: the Brita filtered water bottles--this is what we've used for a couple of WDW trips and they work great!! Orlando water tastes absolutely horrendous and the filters do a great job of making it taste just fine. I highly recommend them!

We leave in 4 days and I have packed absolutely nothing. Help!

Thanks for the info about the Brita bottles...I wonder where in Victoria I can get them...time for a bit of research! :thumbsup2

I don't have Amazon Prime but that makes me think...I wonder how much it would cost to get a flat of water through Amazon, even with the shipping and also if the hotel would hold it for me if it arrives a bit before we do...?

Hahahahahahahahaha! :rotfl2:

I checked out the shipping on a flat of water from Amazon.com using the hotel as a shipping address.

Cost of water: $6.59
Shipping: $36.03 :faint:

Perhaps not.

I don't tend to buy bottled water due to the environmental waste, but my kids can be picky about strangely flavoured water too. We love Mio - a small squirt and my kids will drink anything. The flavours are great and the containers are small and easy to pack/carry. Plus it is so much easier to carry a refillable water bottle for everyone than multiple plastic water bottles in the parks. Do yourself and the planet a favour! :hippie:

Thanks for the info about the Brita bottles...I wonder where in Victoria I can get them...time for a bit of research! :thumbsup2

I've seen them at Super Store and London Drugs, but Walmart probably has them too. I ended up getting the Rubbermaid brand one with a filter in it because the kids Brita sports bottles seemed tricky for the kids to open. I just got one big water bottle with a filter in the top and we use that bottle to fill up the kids water bottles the night before and stick them in the fridge.

Another thing you could decide to do is order from Vons and buy things that you'll need like sunscreen and shampoo, then you don't have to bring those along. And sunscreen can be pretty pricy, so you'll get to your $50 pretty easily.

I don't tend to buy bottled water due to the environmental waste, but my kids can be picky about strangely flavoured water too. We love Mio - a small squirt and my kids will drink anything. The flavours are great and the containers are small and easy to pack/carry. Plus it is so much easier to carry a refillable water bottle for everyone than multiple plastic water bottles in the parks. Do yourself and the planet a favour! :hippie:

I hate flavoured water...I am of the opinion that water should taste like water and coffee should taste like coffee, no flavours for either of them!

As for the plastic, yeah I know. I come from Victoria, BC, home to many a tree higher so I do feel guilty whenever I don't recycle bottles but luckily DL is great about having recycling for bottles and cans!

I've seen them at Super Store and London Drugs, but Walmart probably has them too. I ended up getting the Rubbermaid brand one with a filter in it because the kids Brita sports bottles seemed tricky for the kids to open. I just got one big water bottle with a filter in the top and we use that bottle to fill up the kids water bottles the night before and stick them in the fridge. Another thing you could decide to do is order from Vons and buy things that you'll need like sunscreen and shampoo, then you don't have to bring those along. And sunscreen can be pretty pricy, so you'll get to your $50 pretty easily.

I'll check out superstore tomorrow, I have to be in Langford anyways so I might as well check it out!

I did think about doing just that to get my Von's order to the minimum and still might. We do have one night in Seattle to worry about but I can pack a small travel size of toothpaste and shampoo for that one night.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Hey guys! I wanted to post a pic of me and my little family so those of you at DL from the 23rd to 26th can say HI if you see me!!!

Here is where we'll be...
23 - evening - Downtown Disney
24 - Disneyland
25 - California Adventure
26 - hopping - probs CA in am and DL in afternoon.

Feel free to post a pic of yourselves so we can all be on the lookout for each other.

I sure hope I see some of you!!!!
and sorry, I didn't get around to making a Lime Green Mickey tag for my bag this year. I might still try tho.

familyportrait2013_zps2857fab2.jpg

Me - Kim
Dh - Wayne
Dd - Cali

you can remember what we look like by thinking of Ariel, Prince Eric, and their daughter Melody ;) just like my id picture! :rolleyes1 well ok maybe an older version of them - you'll have to add in a salt and pepper look to Prince Eric and i even have some grey now but it's pretty tricky to see mine. OH and I will NOT be taking the time to curl my hair so it will probably be straight.

Hi everyone! I was reading this thread and I was wondering about other Canadian's and Vons… I wanted to go the VOns delivery route, but when I went online I found that they only accepted american Visas? So I called them and they told me I couldn't order from them because I had a Canadian Visa… has anyone else run into this issue? What do other Canadian's do?

Hi everyone! I was reading this thread and I was wondering about other Canadian's and Vons… I wanted to go the VOns delivery route, but when I went online I found that they only accepted american Visas? So I called them and they told me I couldn't order from them because I had a Canadian Visa… has anyone else run into this issue? What do other Canadian's do?

I've ordered from Von's and I have a Canadian Mastercard. When I signed up for an account there I used our hotel address as my home address and didn't have a problem.

If it asks you for a zip code for your credit card, I think you can use the numbers from your postal code followed by two zeros.

For instance, if you postal code is V8T 2B1 then use 82100 as the zip code but I think if you put the hotel as your address it accepts it without a problem.

I always use my Amex and the zip 92802 and works fine.

Here is where we'll be...
23 - evening - Downtown Disney
24 - Disneyland
25 - California Adventure
26 - hopping - probs CA in am and DL in afternoon.

We will be doing the same...

23 - evening - DtD
24 - Disneyland
25 - DCA
26 - rest day w/ evening Hopping
27 - DCA
28 - Disneyland

I plan to just walk around the parks going, "Kim?" "Are you Kim?" "Kimmmmmm?" "Wakica on the Boards?" ;)

We are Dave, Darla, Dana (the 3 D's)

Now I'm really scared about WDW. We will be there six months from when we are in DL and I haven't even thought about it more than just to know we will be in Orlando for about week before our cruise depending on when we can get our flights (using miles and still need a few more that we'll have by the end of the month).

So do I just pretend I know what I'm doing and make dining reservations? Or do I wait until I know for sure when we will be there?

Also complicating it, one of my good friends from the east coast will be there at the same time we will be so I am sure we'll want to meet up with them for a few meals. Maybe I'll check with her since she is an expert at WDW. I've only been once about 14 years ago and we didn't need ADR's (or if we did, we didn't use them) back then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter