Official 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler

Did 10 miles outside today. 90+ at 9AM here in Ft Worth, TX. Finished the first 5 at a 15 min avg pace, ended at just over 16 min mile even. I am ready for things to cool down. Goal is to speed up over these last few weekends.

That is amazing, how were you not crawling?

18 days until I leave. It seems like just yesterday that number was in the 50s! The humidity scares me but... I'll be in Disney... And it'll be food and wine... and the Halloween party... soooo still pretty great.

A brief weather advisory…

No doubt folks know Central FL will be warmer than most folks will be seeing. This is not meant to scare anyone, only to give folks a couple weeks to think through their strategies.

First, unless we get remarkably lucky, the temperature at race time will be in the low to middle 70’s with dew points near the same. For the Accuweather folks, the Feel Real temps will still approach upper 70’s to 80 at 10 pm. This means that for those who are currently running in early fall coolness, you will want to think about pace and possibly slow up 30-60 seconds a mile from a pace that is comfortable when run in the mid 60’s or lower temps.

Rain and lightning are a rather low possibility for the 10pm start. These are generally generated through midday heat and with sunset occurring just after 7 pm, the likelihood of anything more than a passing shower is low. Keep an eye to the tropics since the season is with us until the end of November.

How should I prepare?

With the dew points being higher than you may be used to, I would make effort to remain hydrated. This starts before your trip to MCO. Airplanes are extremely dry and can zap hydration. Purchase a bottle of water after security and sip while on the plane. Once here, attempt to keep hydrated to point where urine is clear and slightly colored (the clear is key as colored is easily affected by supplements). It is a great idea to be out in the weather to speed up acclimation, but not necessarily out in the sun. In general it is OK to head to the parks, but do not try to be a commando and hit all rides. Think strolling and people watching.

For the race, it should be summer attire. There is no real need for a throw down sirt for most, but if you are like me, once the sun disappears my arms tend to get cold. I will carry a long sleeved tee in the checked bag just in case I need something and place it in the bag prior to handing it off. Plan to check a bag if staying for the after party. Include a few wipes for cleanup and a set of dry clothing. If nothing else, a dry top and shoes will make you feel like a million. Even though it is hot, walking around in wet clothes may not be a great idea.

I am not sure if this helps. Again, it is not meant to panic folks but hopefully here to help those who are uncertain plan.

Love Coach Charles' posts. :love:

As a newbie, I know that I was surprised at how much I drank on a long run when it was only 73 degrees, but with 72% humidity. I'm glad I have been training in those conditions -- so great that people here share their veteran wisdom with all of us. :)

I am not sure if this helps. Again, it is not meant to panic folks but hopefully here to help those who are uncertain plan.

Ha ha ha - how did u know i was starting to panic?!?

Yes! All this information helps greatly. I wasnt planning on any l/s shirts for this trip but now i may bring at least one or another jacket.

And i hv started packing so your timing, as usual is right on! Thank u!

Ran my practice 10 mile over this past weekend. Here in Ohio it was a chilly 64 degrees while we were running.

We ended up doing only 9 miles because we ran out of trail, ended up finishing that in 1 hour 55 minutes.

We are really shooting for a 2 hour and under finish for this race. Not sure if we'll make it.

Kind of unsure how to train from here on out...my usual every other running path is 3.5-4.5 miles. Wondering if maybe I need to do a 6 mile or higher run?...

A brief weather advisory…

No doubt folks know Central FL will be warmer than most folks will be seeing. This is not meant to scare anyone, only to give folks a couple weeks to think through their strategies.

First, unless we get remarkably lucky, the temperature at race time will be in the low to middle 70’s with dew points near the same. For the Accuweather folks, the Feel Real temps will still approach upper 70’s to 80 at 10 pm. This means that for those who are currently running in early fall coolness, you will want to think about pace and possibly slow up 30-60 seconds a mile from a pace that is comfortable when run in the mid 60’s or lower temps.

Rain and lightning are a rather low possibility for the 10pm start. These are generally generated through midday heat and with sunset occurring just after 7 pm, the likelihood of anything more than a passing shower is low. Keep an eye to the tropics since the season is with us until the end of November.

How should I prepare?

With the dew points being higher than you may be used to, I would make effort to remain hydrated. This starts before your trip to MCO. Airplanes are extremely dry and can zap hydration. Purchase a bottle of water after security and sip while on the plane. Once here, attempt to keep hydrated to point where urine is clear and slightly colored (the clear is key as colored is easily affected by supplements). It is a great idea to be out in the weather to speed up acclimation, but not necessarily out in the sun. In general it is OK to head to the parks, but do not try to be a commando and hit all rides. Think strolling and people watching.

For the race, it should be summer attire. There is no real need for a throw down sirt for most, but if you are like me, once the sun disappears my arms tend to get cold. I will carry a long sleeved tee in the checked bag just in case I need something and place it in the bag prior to handing it off. Plan to check a bag if staying for the after party. Include a few wipes for cleanup and a set of dry clothing. If nothing else, a dry top and shoes will make you feel like a million. Even though it is hot, walking around in wet clothes may not be a great idea.

Thanks for these tips. I'm from AZ and was not prepared for humidity when I ran Princess in February. :( Ever since that race, I have been dreading TOT but I had already registered and I'm kind of a bling junkie. :scratchin Fortunately for me, it's still hot here but our humidity just doesn't hit the same way you see in FL. :scared1:

Ran my practice 10 mile over this past weekend. Here in Ohio it was a chilly 64 degrees while we were running.

We ended up doing only 9 miles because we ran out of trail, ended up finishing that in 1 hour 55 minutes.

We are really shooting for a 2 hour and under finish for this race. Not sure if we'll make it.

Kind of unsure how to train from here on out...my usual every other running path is 3.5-4.5 miles. Wondering if maybe I need to do a 6 mile or higher run?...

I am thinking you are asking about long runs between now and ToT. Mentally, if you are ready, I would suggest a 6-8 mile both weekends. You are more than ready to go for the distance. There is not a lot of cramming one can do in two weeks to produce speed.

If this is a first time at this distance and longer and you have questions about making the distance, then I would say run 10 this weekend. Run your 4.5 mile trial so that you run out a half mile, come back to the start then run to the end and back. That way you are fresher at the two turnaround points. It is really hard to add the short out and back to the very end.

While I suggest finding the race you have in your on race night, know that even with the higher dew point temps, you will find extra speed due of the adrenaline of race night. The two may offset one another. A great ToT strategy with the course is to play it conservatively through mile 6.5-7. This gets you past the trail section and the loop around Champion Field’s warning track. Once out past the lights of the facility, it’s a good time to step it up a few seconds a mile…after all, it’s only a 5k from there.

I am thinking you are asking about long runs between now and ToT. Mentally, if you are ready, I would suggest a 6-8 mile both weekends. You are more than ready to go for the distance. There is not a lot of cramming one can do in two weeks to produce speed.

If this is a first time at this distance and longer and you have questions about making the distance, then I would say run 10 this weekend. Run your 4.5 mile trial so that you run out a half mile, come back to the start then run to the end and back. That way you are fresher at the two turnaround points. It is really hard to add the short out and back to the very end.

While I suggest finding the race you have in your on race night, know that even with the higher dew point temps, you will find extra speed due of the adrenaline of race night. The two may offset one another. A great ToT strategy with the course is to play it conservatively through mile 6.5-7. This gets you past the trail section and the loop around Champion Field’s warning track. Once out past the lights of the facility, it’s a good time to step it up a few seconds a mile…after all, it’s only a 5k from there.

Yep, I was asking about how to continue my training from here on out til the race, you are right.

We did this race last year (it was our first race ever) and finished in approx 2 hours and 20 minutes. We know we are good for the distance, I guess our speed just isn't where I'd like it to be.

When we finished our 9 mile run, my legs felt fine but I was kind of out of breath. My nose tends to get stuffy and congested during runs so that doesn't help. And then my running partner had the exact opposite, he was fine with his breathing but his legs were pretty worn out.

That is funny you recommend to play it conservatively through the trail and the field...that is where we kind of fell apart last year. Everyone around us started to walk on the trail and we figured we might as well too. Well...it was hard to get our pace back up after walking a mile. So I am terrified of the trail.

I don't think we have time to do another 10 mile this weekend...but maybe we could squeeze it in the following weekend.

Thank you for all your tips! :goodvibes

With the dew points being higher than you may be used to, I would make effort to remain hydrated. This starts before your trip to MCO. Airplanes are extremely dry and can zap hydration. Purchase a bottle of water after security and sip while on the plane. Once here, attempt to keep hydrated to point where urine is clear and slightly colored (the clear is key as colored is easily affected by supplements). ...

Good stuff!

During my training I have noticed that it doesn't matter how hot I am when I run, how hot the conditions (ha, the treadmill room) are, how warm it is outside...about 30 minutes after I stop, I get COLD. I once had to wait for my son's class to be done, chatted a bit, then went to the store, and an employee noticed that my lips were blue. It was HOT outside but I was still in my gross running clothes and I was cold cold cold.

So even though it's unfathomable to think about, along with the dress I'll be changing into (a sort of casual yoga-type dress) I'm bringing my form fitting running jacket. And maybe socks. Oh I'll be a fashionplate in my Crocs and socks. :goodvibes

I did a 10K yesterday so I'm counting that as the first run of this week. :) But the "upright" training plan has me doing 11 at the end of the week. I simply cannot take 11 miles on the treadmill (10 was bad enough) but luckily DH will finally be home from his work trips and he's going to take Friday off so I can do it on land! YAY YAY YAY! And then it's all a slowdown from there, if I've remembered the official training plan correctly....

My friend who watched my son during the 10K popped up 3 different times during the run, and said I was WAY too happy in the pictures she took of me. I couldn't help it. Land just feels so much better than dreadmill!!!!! I've got to get DS trained on his bike so he can bike along while I run. It must be done!

I ran a 10.5 miler this weekend... Well I would call it a run/fast walk... I've been training for the last 6 months... Not doing well with leg pain... 6'5" and was ~265 when I started... Now 6'5" and 235...

I've gone the running shoe/custom insole route which helped with some of the pain. I've been running/fast walking about a 12min 20sec pace... I hope to have the race day kick it up to 11min...

Two firsts for me last night... first time running 12mi, and first time doing a long run at night!

While I will never be Speedy Gonzales (!!!), my sister and I finished with a better pace than our 11-miler the week before, and feeling really good -- no major issues from my cranky knee or hip, and I think I finally figured out a fuel/hydration strategy that really worked for me.

Feels great to have gone from never running back in April to this point. Managed in no small part because of the helpful advice here -- THANK YOU, GUYS!!! :)

YAY, so glad to see this!!! :banana: Congrats!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a visit with my chiro Fri., and no pain from walking or strength training last week, I tried a short run Saturday: 1/2 mile walk to stretch out, mile 1 at 1:00walk/1:00run, mile 2 at 1:00 walk/1:30run, mile 3 at 1:00walk/2:00 run, 1/2 mile walk. Not bad - my knee was fine, though my glute and hip flexor (same leg) got really tight and painful toward the end. I did a 1 mile walk with a few minutes running thrown in yesterday, followed by yoga... my glutes and hips were pretty painful by last night, but feel much, much better today, with none of the tightness that seemed to be messing with my IT band, so I'm hopeful!

Keeping my runs short and frequent this week and I'll see how I feel Saturday - I'm undecided yet on whether to walk a bunch to make it a longer distance, or keep it short and run more. We'll see... sort of feel like I'm living on edge, not wanting to taunt my IT Bands in any way, lol!

That is funny you recommend to play it conservatively through the trail and the field...that is where we kind of fell apart last year. Everyone around us started to walk on the trail and we figured we might as well too. Well...it was hard to get our pace back up after walking a mile. So I am terrified of the trail.

What's this trail you speak of?! :scared::crazy2::scared1:

Yep, I was asking about how to continue my training from here on out til the race, you are right.

We did this race last year (it was our first race ever) and finished in approx 2 hours and 20 minutes. We know we are good for the distance, I guess our speed just isn't where I'd like it to be.

When we finished our 9 mile run, my legs felt fine but I was kind of out of breath. My nose tends to get stuffy and congested during runs so that doesn't help. And then my running partner had the exact opposite, he was fine with his breathing but his legs were pretty worn out.

I don't think we have time to do another 10 mile this weekend...but maybe we could squeeze it in the following weekend.

Thank you for all your tips! :goodvibes

I understand the issue of running a trail with artificial light. I did not run the ToT so I am assuming that the large obstacle was the crowd braking as much as the trail. I am comfortable in the quality of the trail - i.e., decent footing, but not so much in the ambient lighting. I have been toying with hauling my mini-Mag lite around and pulling it out so I can run the strip along the edges. I see this much like the water bridge for the full and half where even the 8-9 mm runners hit a rolling roadblock.

One of the things we coach is the mental toughness side of the equation. In real simple terms, once you break down and walk, you lost the mental game and for that matter the race (race = good time for all on the forum). So keeping a great pace and if run/walking consistent intervals through the distance then shifting to a long walk would make it very tough to ever make up the time lost.

If one is run/walking the race, I would do my best to justify a run from the start of the trail through the run interval. That will get you past the 'fear' of the sloppier footing. If one can just get the first part underfoot, then the remainder should go better.

i'm in South Carolina, so i'm somewhat used to the heat and humidity. i know that central FL is worse though. even when doing a long run in the evening, i can easily go through two 20 oz. bottles of water. i stash one on my porch and switch partway through my run. but, i am one who needs a lot of water on my run.

but just keep in mind that you must stay hydrated! the heat can zap it right out of you! i'm planning to hook a smaller bottle of gatorade to my belt to help too.

i'm in South Carolina, so i'm somewhat used to the heat and humidity. i know that central FL is worse though. even when doing a long run in the evening, i can easily go through two 20 oz. bottles of water. i stash one on my porch and switch partway through my run. but, i am one who needs a lot of water on my run.

but just keep in mind that you must stay hydrated! the heat can zap it right out of you! i'm planning to hook a smaller bottle of gatorade to my belt to help too.

Hydrating is so important. I also find that if I'm really heated up on a run, pouring water on my head helps A LOT!!!!

Since a few people mentioned the trail let me clear that up.

I forget exactly which mile it is, but at one point you will enter a wooded trail.

The trail can fit about 5-6 people across. It is very well lit, but at points it would be hard to run on the edges because of trees/weeds.

I was in the last corral last year, and I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it seemed all the people around us began to walk on the trail. Because I was already tired at this point and the trail was crowded, I made the mistake of walking as well.

In retrospect, if that happens this year I will definitely be loud and request a running path. Do not let yourself get bogged down here.

I don't mean to cause anyone fear, my fear is of a more personal nature because of my experience last year with being crowded into a walk.

One of the things we coach is the mental toughness side of the equation. In real simple terms, once you break down and walk, you lost the mental game and for that matter the race (race = good time for all on the forum).

I think this was my exact issue. Even if I had kept up a run/walk rotation I believe I would have been loads better off than I had.

I think I'll plan for a walk break right about then. :)

On the 10K yesterday we went around a park for part of it, and it's a nice dirt and small gravel type of path. I'm very very afraid of injuries right now, so while I didn't walk for most of it, in the tricky parts I did. And I was glad for it. But I knew that it was coming so I knew I'd probably walk some of it.

Then again I'm a walk/jogger anyway; maybe that's what keeps me OK with the walking break concept?

YAY, so glad to see this!!! :banana: Congrats!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a visit with my chiro Fri., and no pain from walking or strength training last week, I tried a short run Saturday: 1/2 mile walk to stretch out, mile 1 at 1:00walk/1:00run, mile 2 at 1:00 walk/1:30run, mile 3 at 1:00walk/2:00 run, 1/2 mile walk. Not bad - my knee was fine, though my glute and hip flexor (same leg) got really tight and painful toward the end. I did a 1 mile walk with a few minutes running thrown in yesterday, followed by yoga... my glutes and hips were pretty painful by last night, but feel much, much better today, with none of the tightness that seemed to be messing with my IT band, so I'm hopeful!

Keeping my runs short and frequent this week and I'll see how I feel Saturday - I'm undecided yet on whether to walk a bunch to make it a longer distance, or keep it short and run more. We'll see... sort of feel like I'm living on edge, not wanting to taunt my IT Bands in any way, lol!

Thanks, PrincessV!!! :goodvibes

So glad to hear that you are on the mend!! Living on the edge - love it! :laughing: Sending you :goodvibes and :hug: -- keep us posted!

What's this trail you speak of?! :scared::crazy2::scared1:
It's really just a maintenance road - dirt and large gravel. But that's what passes for a "trail" in FL, lol! (I love trail running, but living at sea level in monsoon season means most of my real trails are submerged swampland - we have lots of the dirt and gravel type of "trails" around here, instead.)

I understand the issue of running a trail with artificial light. I did not run the ToT so I am assuming that the large obstacle was the crowd braking as much as the trail.
Form my experience, the lighting wasn't a problem; it was darker than the road, but I could see the ground well enough. I couldn't run by that point, so the walking was fine with me, but yes - it would have been tough to get by the huge number of walkers ahead of me if I'd wanted to. I will say that a few large chunks of "gravel" (I'm not sure that baseball-sized rocks count as gravel!) turned my ankles a bit. Nothing that caused injury, but I was a lot more aware of where I was placing my feet, if that makes sense.

Hydrating is so important. I also find that if I'm really heated up on a run, pouring water on my head helps A LOT!!!!
::yes:: I've been doing that a few times on every long run since June, lol!

I was in the last corral last year, and I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it seemed all the people around us began to walk on the trail.
I started in C, but had fallen far back by the time we got to the trail, so I was probably with mostly D folks by then - same experience. I remember one guy trying to run through it and just gave up because no one would move out of the way. My friend was in A and said she had no problem through there; everyone with her ran through.

So glad to hear that you are on the mend!! Living on the edge - love it! :laughing: Sending you :goodvibes and :hug: -- keep us posted!
Thank you! :goodvibes Here's hoping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter