Official 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler

I used my 1:02 Atlanta Peachtree Road Race 10k and got in E. The people I'm running with are all in H. I feel bad for being ahead of them but I actually am kinda glad. I run better by myself so I can focus.

... fear the sweepers at all!

Dang it, stuck song in the noggin

All our times have come
Here but now they're gone
Seasons don't fear the sweaper
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain..we can be like they are
Come on baby...don't fear the sweaper
Baby take my hand...don't fear the sweaper
We'll be able to fly...don't fear the sweaper
Baby I'm your man...

Sung to the moody of "The Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult

At the expo is submitting proof of time kind of a honor system thing or do I need to bring an official print out from a race.

They need a print out... which can be an honor system thing as well. That is the reason this will be one of the last races where expo adjustments are allowed.

I used my 1:02 Atlanta Peachtree Road Race 10k and got in E. The people I'm running with are all in H. I feel bad for being ahead of them but I actually am kinda glad. I run better by myself so I can focus.

you can go into ones behind you to run with friends

All our times have come
Baby I'm your man...

Haha. That's great.

One thing I really like about the Disney races is they start the timing for the sweeper pace after the LAST runner leaves the corrals.

At a race I did earlier this year, they started the pacing time when the FIRST runner started. And that added time pressure made me think, well, I can finish this race, I just can't pee...

Folks who did the race last year - I thought I heard there were 12,000 race registrants and less than 10,000 finishers - were 2,000 people not able to finish the race?? or did a lot of folks drop out?

I used my 57:02 10k and got C... or maybe I used a 2:04 1/2... I can't remember. After the temperature went back up to the high 90s today in DC, I can safely say if nothing else the weather is going to effectively slow me down. thankfully the temperatures are back down for the weekend long run. It's the little things in life...

I am in C. I have to laugh. I have been in C for all my RD events. Course, this time... C is very different than C last year... and while for the phm I questioned the trackshack giving me the placement they did. (I actually finished in under the time they thought I would) this time C does not allow me much wiggle room. Using RK, Saturday I ran 9.51 in 1:28:23 So maybe it isn't horrible off? Still under 1:40? :confused: Not sure that allows for ANY stops!!!

But I do kinda suspect that is the point of the first few corrals. It would seem that there are so few people in them and they start really close together. To me it would seem as RD has assumed they will be those who don't stop and run straight through.

How do you find out your corral?

And do we need to bring a copy of the proof of time we submitted on registration?

I am in C. I have to laugh. I have been in C for all my RD events. Course, this time... C is very different than C last year... and while for the phm I questioned the trackshack giving me the placement they did. (I actually finished in under the time they thought I would) this time C does not allow me much wiggle room. Using RK, Saturday I ran 9.51 in 1:28:23 So maybe it isn't horrible off? Still under 1:40? :confused: Not sure that allows for ANY stops!!!

But I do kinda suspect that is the point of the first few corrals. It would seem that there are so few people in them and they start really close together. To me it would seem as RD has assumed they will be those who don't stop and run straight through.

I think we all know C is where they put the really cool people... The only picture I REALLY really want is Darth Vader.

Corral D - I'm pretty happy.

On a related note, I decided that a trial run in my costume was a good idea this morning. At the last minute I chickened out and decided not to wear the tutu. It came down to not wanting strangers to think I escaped from some psychiatric ward...even if not many people would see me at 5 am. :rotfl: Good news is everything else is very comfy. :thumbsup2

Thanks again Princess V...I am totally start to feel much better about finishing this race...PIECE OF CAKE!!!
:thumbsup2 You've got this!

Actually for the reason I just mentioned - I was hoping SOME proof of time would get me out of the last corral, which was obviously a bad strategy after learning people with no proof of time will be corrals ahead of me.

As it is, I appreciate I'm probably in the "right" corral for my pace, so we'll see what happens!
If it helps, you are not alone! This was the first Disney race for which I submitted proof of time... and wound up being corralled further back than when I didn't submit proof. For 2012 TOT and 2013 PHM, I was in C with no proof and entering a finish time of whatever was the least we could enter without proof. I, too, have read that others who submitted no proof are in earlier corrals. I don't pretend to get it, but I had a good run of runD karma and now it's time to let some others have it, I guess! :rotfl2:

Dang it, stuck song in the noggin

All our times have come
Baby I'm your man...

Sung to the moody of "The Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult
:lmao: You're welcome! :)

Folks who did the race last year - I thought I heard there were 12,000 race registrants and less than 10,000 finishers - were 2,000 people not able to finish the race?? or did a lot of folks drop out?
I believe 12,00 was the total of all races - including the 5K and kids'. I recall something around 10,000 for TOT itself - looking at the results, 8,732 finished.

::yes:: I think that, too - I've never been far enough ahead to see it in action, but I'm told very few of the folks in A have historically stopped for pics. And by adding corrals, I'd think that would extend to B and at least some of C now, too.

How do you find out your corral?
Go to http://www.rundisney.com/tower-of-terror-10-miler/ and click on the Runner Info tab. Then click on Waivers - the waiver will have your bib number at the very bottom. Go back to Runner Info and scroll to Corral and Bib Assignment - click the link for View Corral Placement.

And do we need to bring a copy of the proof of time we submitted on registration?
Only if you didn't already submit proof. If you already submitted your proof when registering or by email after registering, you're all set.

I use a wooden rolling pin--it has basically the same effect and I didn't have to spend $30 on a stick.. I really want my number now!
For me the stick is MUCH easier to use since the rings around it move, which made it well worth $30 for me. But, whatever works!! :)

we tend to have some issues that most PT's/Chiros don't understand. Like, I'm very, very flexible, thanks to a lifetime of ballet and yoga, which both presents its own issues and means that the stretches commonly used for ITB stuff don't work for me; I can fall into pigeon and stay there all day without effort.

My chiro uses Active Release Therapy, which is the #1 thing that seems to help, plus has stripped my ITB, uses accupressure, electro stim and laser therapy. WAY more than the PT my insurance would cover! :thumbsup2

Yeah - I have a lot of the same issues you do. I was lucky to find a PT who does ALL of what you mentioned above, plus trigger point needling -- it's a fantastic PT practice. And luckily, insurance covers most of it.

I guess it's "the luck of the draw" whether chiro or PT!! :)

Haha. That's great.

One thing I really like about the Disney races is they start the timing for the sweeper pace after the LAST runner leaves the corrals.

At a race I did earlier this year, they started the pacing time when the FIRST runner started. And that added time pressure made me think, well, I can finish this race, I just can't pee...

You will see that Disney has a higher than average attrition rate between entrants and finishers. This is due more to the higher demand for the race and the subsequent early sell outs. Basically, for 12k entrants, maybe 10,500 started. Saying that, there was a rather high attrition rate last year due to the higher than norm heat during the race.

[ADDED] note that most chipped races do follow the model of keeping the course open from the time of the last runner starting, but not all. If one is struggling to match the minimum pace of a race, it is good to know. A second clue is that if a race runs off of gun time, then it will always work off the gun time and any closures are based on the first runner.

If you are happy with your spot in the corrals, (i.e. it resembles the ability of your proof) then no need to bring it. Do bring a copy of your signed waiver and ID for the bib. Though, should you not find your waiver once at WDW, do not fret as there is a waiver print station at the expo as well.

I'm in Corral D. I'm happy with that. I was in B for the 1/2 in January and the lines were short or non-existent (except POTCpirate:) for the characters so of course I jumped in many. I decided that having a good time, character wise, was better than having a good time, time wise. I can do that at home.

Thanks for the info cewait and PrincessV!

It's so interesting to get the broad perspective of various runners and speeds on here.

I.e. The speedsters thinking about picture wait times and us more speed-challenged folks focusing on finishing!

Getting more excited though - was thinking no costume and now deciding I'm going to try and have some fun with a "streamlined" Rapunzel.

Does anyone know of the after party will have places to buy celebratory alcoholic drinks?

YES!!! Oh... was that too enthusiastic? :rotfl2: Um, a post-race beer was very, very, very good. :thumbsup2

There were carts. Lots of carts. A variety of beer choices and I'm pretty sure one had some sort of mixed drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter