Official 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler

Good news for me is that it is NOT a tear in the meniscus! :cool1: "Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome" according to the doc, though physical therapist isn't 100% convinced! Either way it looks like PT, SOME rest (though I can still keep running!!), and possibly a knee brace/band.

Fantastic news! :woohoo:

Hopefully your PT can help bring the swelling down. Maybe a couple weeks of shorter runs too while your are "resting.: :thumbsup2

Mentally gearing up for my 8 miles run this weekend. Mapped out a route so at least I know where I am going. Happy to not have to do this one on a track. Now I just need the weather to cooperate.

Two extra miles is quite a bit! Are you still fighting pain on your walks? I'm sure - no, I KNOW first-hand - that that can slow things down.
!

I'm back to run walk. I walked the mile to the river bike path here in NYC (had no clue it was a mile) walk/ran at a 60sec/30sec ration made it one mile at a 14 min/mil pace then mucus started to build in my throat and mouth. At that point I switched to strictly walking and finished 2.75 miles with three complete stops which averaged out to a 18.75 min:mile. Then I stopped my watch an restarted to track my distance home and that's when I found out it is a mile!

The mucus is what I am fighting. One doctor long ago said it is asthma current doctor says no way so idk what it is. Does anyone else experience it? My insurance kicks in on September 1 so that will be the first thing I go do is a physical and possible asthma check.

Is it hilly? I tend to get exercised induced asthma...and it really kicks in on hills. I purposely look for the flatest routes I can find as a result and have to walk more on hilly courses.

Do you have the same issue when you aren't running?

Is it hilly? I tend to get exercised induced asthma...and it really kicks in on hills. I purposely look for the flatest routes I can find as a result and have to walk more on hilly courses.

Do you have the same issue when you aren't running?

It is flat to my knowledge. Ill have to check a map to see though.

I unfortunately do have high mucus during a normal day. May be TMI but I do suffer from post nasal drop an allergies that never go away. However I do notice that this gets worse running. No change while walking, biking or swimming though. Like I said pediatrician said the high mucus was asthma not allergies. I am allergic to grass molds but nothing else. I became an adult was of insurance for awhile then back on it. New doctor who didn't know me when I was little before all of this happened said I'm crazy I dot have asthma it is just seasonal allergies. No tests or anything just listened to me breath. The asthma diagnoses and grass mold allergy was after weeks of testing including breathing machines and allergy tests.

It is flat to my knowledge. Ill have to check a map to see though.

I unfortunately do have high mucus during a normal day. May be TMI but I do suffer from post nasal drop an allergies that never go away. However I do notice that this gets worse running. No change while walking, biking or swimming though. Like I said pediatrician said the high mucus was asthma not allergies. I am allergic to grass molds but nothing else. I became an adult was of insurance for awhile then back on it. New doctor who didn't know me when I was little before all of this happened said I'm crazy I dot have asthma it is just seasonal allergies. No tests or anything just listened to me breath. The asthma diagnoses and grass mold allergy was after weeks of testing including breathing machines and allergy tests.

I'd get a second opinion. Clearly something is causing congestion in your lungs. I'm allergic to everything under the sun and take Zyrtec daily; I see a HUGE difference in my lung power and general level of congestion if I don't take it. I also have exercise-induced asthma, which isn't really asthma at all, but bronchial spasms that mimic the hallmarks of asthma - tightening of lungs, wheezing, congestion - with aerobic exercise. I find it to be much worse in dry and/or cold air. No way to say if any of that applies to you, too, but if any of it sounds familiar, I'd mention it to your doctor. If my Dr. based my diagnosis only on how I breath sitting in her office, I'd never have the right treatment. Hang in there!

I saw this once, but not sure they do this anymore at the 5k, do they hand out bib and shirts before the race or do I need to go to the expo and get it the day before? I am doing both races but coming in Friday afternoon. Just making sure I have a back up if we come in too late.

I saw this once, but not sure they do this anymore at the 5k, do they hand out bib and shirts before the race or do I need to go to the expo and get it the day before? I am doing both races but coming in Friday afternoon. Just making sure I have a back up if we come in too late.

Since it's a night race the expo will be open on Saturday,if it was a morning race you would have to visit the expo the day before so you're good for this one.

DOOM1001 said:
Since it's a night race the expo will be open on Saturday,if it was a morning race you would have to visit the expo the day before so you're good for this one.

Will the expo be open on Friday? I am driving up Thursday night.

From the 5K info page:

Participants must attend Packet Pick-up at Disney's Health & Fitness Expo to receive their race packet, bib, and T-shirt.

From the 10mile info page:

Participants must attend Packet Pick-up at Disney's Health & Fitness Expo at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (to receive their race packet, bib, and tech shirt.)

And from the FAQ:

Is Packet Pick-Up available the night of the race?

No, all The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler Weekend race packets must be picked up at Disney's Health and Fitness Expo and will not be available the night of the race.

Will the expo be open on Friday? I am driving up Thursday night.

From rundisney's page:

Friday October 4, 2013
12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, October 5, 2013
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

They did do this at marathon weekend only for the 5k. It was a nondescript info tent and they didn't advertise it at all and I don't think it's guaranteed that it'll be there (or if rundisney will confirm that it will be there in advance). You still had to go to the expo to pick up your t-shirt and all other bibs.

Thank you all for the information regarding the packet pickup for the 5K. I really appreciate it. Was hopping it was an option but it isn't. Appreciate the help.

fanningIII said:
Does anyone know what the quickest way to get to Wide World of Sports for Packet Pick up from MK?

wilkeliza said:
Drive or take a bus to a host resort and catch the WWS bus from there.

Bus over to wwos. I drove over there for the half in January and was a mad house with the traffic and parking. Let the bus driver stress out over the traffic.

Well I haven't done the Galloway "finish upright" plan's 9 miles but I did do 4 miles, with some hills, today all* at a running pace. Which was fabulously awesome IMO.

Oh, and not on a treadmill. Visiting my brother and he's a runner who worked out a course for us before I went to my WW meeting. :)

*except maybe a total of two minutes for breathing purposes. Considering I'm a Galloway type, it's amazing!

Molly - that's awesome!! Congrats on running 9 miles! I was happy to get in 8 with 2 min intervals of running and walking. But man am I tired today!

Glad the race is in the evening so I can sleep after (after enjoying the party for a little while of course). I would be very cranky if I had to go touring after the race! :headache:

Awesome run reports this weekend! I got in 9 doing 2min run/1 min walk, was perfect running weather here in VA this am. Best news is that I constantly held a 12min mile (and that was while managing a almost 2 yr old boxer). While that's not fast if I can maintain it for 13 miles it will be a PR for a half for me as my best is 2:45!

I was able to get late resignations from gettravel last week.did not think we could make it this year and suddenly everything changed.definitely behind on the training but I'm sure we can do it.

See you all there! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter