Official 2013 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k Thread!

Other posters have mentioned www.mcmillanrunning.com as a possible tool that runDisney may use. You might try it out with your times to see what it comes up with.
Very interesting website. According to it, my tempo runs are right in the predicted range. I have never done a steady state run, such a thing just sounded like slacking, but if it works, I should try it. Post-mortem on the race is that I did just fine up until a little over an hour in, and then my performance declined steadily. Miles 11 and 13 really sucked. I'm pretty sure mile 13 was a steady uphill. Trying to increase my pace in the last mile resulted in stabbing pain in my calf muscles, so I decided to not push it and risk injury. I finished in 2:35:31, so my corral placement is appropriate. The predictor assumes similar race conditions, which won't be true; this race was at 8500' of elevation with portions on dirt and gravel trails. Hopefully this was more physically challenging than Dumbo will be. I'm definitely not going all-out for the 10K before the half! A few days of recovery are planned, then back at the DDD training!

I can't believe I will be on a plane to DL in 2 1/2 weeks!!! I ran my last 10 miler this morning after oversleeping by 2 hours and missing my running group so having to hoof it solo. I had wanted to go as fast as I could but wasn't too encouraged with the late hour, but ended up surprising myself! :cheer2: I had a great run and feel ready to take on Anaheim. I checked the weather when I was starting and it was 15 degrees cooler and 15% less humidity than at my house this morning. I can handle that:cloud9:.

Since my run this morning I have been double checking all my reservations and trying to decide which hotel to keep and which to cancel. I have the HoJo with one night in a 2 queen room and the rest of the stay in a kid suite. It has no breakfast included but is about .5 miles from the lobby to the hub. I also have the Residence Inn Maingate booked, all nights in a 2 queen suite with breakfast buffet included. It is about .8 miles from the lobby to the hub. The cost is about the same although I will not need to have groceries delivered to the Residence Inn because I was mainly going to have breakfast foods delivered (I would pack the few snack foods that we would need in our luggage). Any thoughts? I am leaning towards the Residence Inn - we are healthy and used to walking and bike riding, the kids are not too young to walk a little and the difference ends up being less than 5 minutes each way to the hotel.

I also need to start thinking about booking the car service. I seem to recall one being recommended on this thread so I will need to go back and search through to find it.

One costume is 100% finished and ready to go. The other costume is being adjusted. I found a new top and my mom is finishing the sewing of the shells:rolleyes1. Should be so much fun either way.

In the middle of all this race/travel craziness is the beginning of the school year craziness too! I am driving my DH insane, lol.

Has anyone heard if there is going to be a special Dooney and Bourke Collection for this race? I don't think I could resist a Dumbo purse!!

I talked to the designer himself(Ian Ray) at the D23 Expo and he said no bag for this race but they is one is production for a later race(supposedly not the same bags that they always come out with).

I'm feeling so sad/frustrated. I went into the doctors for my acid reflux, she sent me to get an ultrasound. Turns out I have bad gallstones and they want to schedule my surgery this week or the next. I'm very young, not overweight and not pregnant so it was extra surprising to hear. If I put off the surgery till after the race, I still get horrible side pains when I'm running from my gallstones. I think I'm forced to give up my bib. :( Anyone ever experience something similar?

I talked to the designer himself(Ian Ray) at the D23 Expo and he said no bag for this race but they is one is production for a later race(supposedly not the same bags that they always come out with).

:(. Well I guess my wallet will be happy about that...

Just got my rundisney final race instructions....interesting to read that bag retrieve is by 8:30...what will the people who are in the back corrals do if they check a bag and don't finish by 8:30? Realistically it seems folks in corrals E-G wont' finish by 8:30 to pick up their bags (for example..DH and I are in E and probably will start at 6:00 if they start the race at exactly 5:30....I know we won't finish in 2:30 so we would definitely miss bag pick up ) Don't plan on checking a bag but wanted to see if the veteran runners knew if the 8:30 pick up is hard and fast.

Just got my rundisney final race instructions....interesting to read that bag retrieve is by 8:30...what will the people who are in the back corrals do if they check a bag and don't finish by 8:30? Realistically it seems folks in corrals E-G wont' finish by 8:30 to pick up their bags (for example..DH and I are in E and probably will start at 6:00 if they start the race at exactly 5:30....I know we won't finish in 2:30 so we would definitely miss bag pick up ) Don't plan on checking a bag but wanted to see if the veteran runners knew if the 8:30 pick up is hard and fast.

In 2011, I started in G and finished in 2:45. From what I remember, the bag check folks were still there. Can't remember what happened last year.
But that is very interesting about the time.

I am hoping it is a typo. I can see 10:30 as a reasonable time, but not 8:30. I cannot see how they could close bag check that early since its within their pacing guidelines.

I'm feeling so sad/frustrated. I went into the doctors for my acid reflux, she sent me to get an ultrasound. Turns out I have bad gallstones and they want to schedule my surgery this week or the next. I'm very young, not overweight and not pregnant so it was extra surprising to hear. If I put off the surgery till after the race, I still get horrible side pains when I'm running from my gallstones. I think I'm forced to give up my bib. :( Anyone ever experience something similar?

Oh that is awful, I'm sorry! There were others pages back that had health issues force them out of the race this year. The good news is you can defer it to next year if you must. I'm so sorry this is happening right now - a nightmare for sure, but I am glad that they are able to heal it too so at least there is that! :hug: My father had his gallbladder out a couple of years ago - it was very quick and easy healing because the way they do it is much less intrusive now. It took a little while to adjust his diet (which has been thrown out the window now, ugh) and a little time to heal is all.

Oh that is awful, I'm sorry! There were others pages back that had health issues force them out of the race this year. The good news is you can defer it to next year if you must. I'm so sorry this is happening right now - a nightmare for sure, but I am glad that they are able to heal it too so at least there is that! :hug: My father had his gallbladder out a couple of years ago - it was very quick and easy healing because the way they do it is much less intrusive now. It took a little while to adjust his diet (which has been thrown out the window now, ugh) and a little time to heal is all.

Thank you! :) I really didn't foresee this happening to me at 20 but that's okay. I'm coming to terms with not running the race. I'm glad it was an easy healing for your father. I hope it is for me too!

Thank you! :) I really didn't foresee this happening to me at 20 but that's okay. I'm coming to terms with not running the race. I'm glad it was an easy healing for your father. I hope it is for me too!

I had mine out when I was 23 (maybe 22?). Recovery was pretty easy no scarring.

Gryhndmom said:

I contacted runDisney about this and they've told me it is a typo. The bag pick-up is through 10:30 a.m.

I contacted runDisney about this and they've told me it is a typo. The bag pick-up is through 10:30 a.m.

Thanks for checking...hopefully rundisney will clarify that time in an upcoming email or on the website. Two weeks and counting... Ready to get this over !

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already... What is the time limit/cutoff for the 10K? How about the Half?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already... What is the time limit/cutoff for the 10K? How about the Half?

I know the half is the 16 minute mile and I think the 10K is also.

So 3 1/2 hours for the Half and 1 hour 40 minutes for the 10K.

This weekend I am doing a sort-of test run for Dumbo. I'd never officially ran a 10K before, the only times I have are splits from longer races, so I wanted to do one before Dumbo so I wouldn't be tempted to run all out that day. I ran the 10k this morning (at a small local race that I usually do the 5k distance at) and it went ok. I easily beat my best split time, and that was the goal. Next up is an 11 mile run tomorrow morning, which will be the true test of how Dumbo will likely go.

I'm thinking my plan for the DL 10K will just be the run comfortably and enjoy being in the parks. I might stop for photos, too, which I've never done before, and that will hopefully help slow me down and force me to rest my legs a little during the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter