Official 2013 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k Thread!

I'm a little upset, I'm in corral G for the DDD. It's my first half ever, but I still didn't expect the last corral, I thought/hoped I'd be second to last. ;) My fiance and I both got the same corral, poor guy he is MUCH faster than me but wanted to make sure we had the same corral so he put in a slow time. ;) I'm probably where I should be because I'm not even sure I'll be able to finish the half. My training plan failed miserably when I got injured. I was just hoping for a corral that could save me a few minutes from being swept. I'm planning on walking most of the DDD now that my training was screwed up. Is there a walking group on DIS board? Thanks everyone!

I see people commenting on their corral placement. How do you find out where you have been placed?

DD doing the half, I am doing the 5k.

Just found out I might be making this trip solo.hubby might not be able to get out of work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as its too close to the start if school to take any if the kids out and none of my friends really care about Disney the way I do so I don't think it would be a fun trip with anyone else. I always run solo but have never not had someone waiting at the finish line. not sure how i feel about it.The only upside I could see is I could park tour all I want the way I want.
Ok just had to get it out...

UGH! This has been such a bad week! I ran on Monday 5k with a little cough so it was hard to breathe. My time was about 2 mins slower than normal. Tuesday it was full blown and got worse. Thursday I finally gave in and went to urgent care because I was in so much pain. I have a sinus infection and bronchitis! I didn't get in my second run this week and now I don't think I'll get in my 4 today or my 12.5 tomorrow. I'm just itching to run. I never thought that I would say that but this is the first time that I have really tried to take my training seriously! I really thought that I might be able to pull off a GREAT PR maybe even a full hour faster than my last half! I was running 10ks 30 min faster. I just hope this bad week does not set me back and that I can get back to running this next week!

Any tips for getting better faster?

UGH! This has been such a bad week! I ran on Monday 5k with a little cough so it was hard to breathe. My time was about 2 mins slower than normal. Tuesday it was full blown and got worse. Thursday I finally gave in and went to urgent care because I was in so much pain. I have a sinus infection and bronchitis! I didn't get in my second run this week and now I don't think I'll get in my 4 today or my 12.5 tomorrow. I'm just itching to run. I never thought that I would say that but this is the first time that I have really tried to take my training seriously! I really thought that I might be able to pull off a GREAT PR maybe even a full hour faster than my last half! I was running 10ks 30 min faster. I just hope this bad week does not set me back and that I can get back to running this next week!

Any tips for getting better faster?

This exact thing happened to me a month before the PHM this year and I actually asked my running coach if I felt better could I do the hero half marathon that was scheduled that week....uhhh...no he said...so I responded "Michael Jordan played in an NBA finals game with the flu !" He kindly reminded me I was not MJ and to take a week of rest.

So my advice...take a week of rest....get lots of fluids in you....take your meds. If you don't let your body rest now you could risk getting sicker later on due to a weakened immune system. Catch up on a good book, watch trashy TV and you will be back on track.

Did my missed week of training hurt me at PHM...absolutely not...!;)

I'm a little upset, I'm in corral G for the DDD. It's my first half ever, but I still didn't expect the last corral, I thought/hoped I'd be second to last. ;) My fiance and I both got the same corral, poor guy he is MUCH faster than me but wanted to make sure we had the same corral so he put in a slow time. ;) I'm probably where I should be because I'm not even sure I'll be able to finish the half. My training plan failed miserably when I got injured. I was just hoping for a corral that could save me a few minutes from being swept. I'm planning on walking most of the DDD now that my training was screwed up. Is there a walking group on DIS board? Thanks everyone!

Big deep breath....remember Disney gives you 16 min mile. The balloon lady doesn't start until the last person in the last corral has started. Many of us are on a run/walk combo so don't feel alone. Have you done any long walks/runs and did your pace meet the pace requirements? We do have about 4 weeks so a little bit of time to work towards at least a 15min mile to allow for a potty stop if needed. You will do fine...we will all be there to cheer you on !:flower3:

Big deep breath....remember Disney gives you 16 min mile. The balloon lady doesn't start until the last person in the last corral has started. Many of us are on a run/walk combo so don't feel alone. Have you done any long walks/runs and did your pace meet the pace requirements? We do have about 4 weeks so a little bit of time to work towards at least a 15min mile to allow for a potty stop if needed. You will do fine...we will all be there to cheer you on !:flower3:

Thank you!! :) I've never done near this mileage(even training). I've ran lots of 5k's and one 10k, always kept within the time frame. Any advice to get my pace up a bit? I'm so behind on the training, it worries me.

I did 13miles today!!!! in 3 hours:cool1: the furthest I have ever jogged /walked.
Now I know I am ready for the DDD. I have been walking 4 miles on my non running days.
23 days till we leave:cool1::cool1:

Thank you!! :) I've never done near this mileage(even training). I've ran lots of 5k's and one 10k, always kept within the time frame. Any advice to get my pace up a bit? I'm so behind on the training, it worries me.

I am right there with you, only this will be my first Disney race, my first 10k, and only the 2nd time I have ever raced alone! First time alone is tomorrow at the SF Giants 5k. :scared1:

I got corral F for the 10k. i am only doing the 10k. Any others on here in that corral. Or even doing the 10k alone? Will I make "friends" with runners around me while waiting? :eek:

As you can tell I am getting very nervous. WHAT WAS I THINKING? :faint:

I am signed up for the Tink 1/2 , but that is with a friend and I still have time to train.

I don't want to get swept, go the wrong way when we meet up with the 5k walkers, etc.

Any advice?

:worship::worship::worship:

I found when I do a combo run/walk I can do better than if I try to run a 1/2 mile and then walk. Experiment a little on your next workout with different combos of a run/walk of 1/1, 1/2 etc to find what works best for your body. In the next few days see if you can do 8-10 miles (my training plan had me do 11 miles today then start tapering off my long runs the next free weeks until DL half) Let me know how it works for you.

I did 13miles today!!!! in 3 hours:cool1: the furthest I have ever jogged /walked.
Now I know I am ready for the DDD. I have been walking 4 miles on my non running days.
23 days till we leave:cool1::cool1:

You go girl ! did 11 today and now taper time until the DL half !:cool1: and oh yeah...my 11 were all TM due to it being already 78 at 7 a.m. this morning and 85% humidity..yup..summer in TX!:lmao:

I am right there with you, only this will be my first Disney race, my first 10k, and only the 2nd time I have ever raced alone! First time alone is tomorrow at the SF Giants 5k. :scared1:

I got corral F for the 10k. i am only doing the 10k. Any others on here in that corral. Or even doing the 10k alone? Will I make "friends" with runners around me while waiting? :eek:

I am signed up for the Tink 1/2 , but that is with a friend and I still have time to train.

I don't want to get swept, go the wrong way when we meet up with the 5k walkers, etc.

Any advice?

Fellow "F" er here! After 6 months of running since signing up, I could probably get higher but DH says it'll be good for my psyche to pass rather than be passed.

I've run races before where there were runners doing multiple distances. Don't worry about going the wrong way. Study the route ahead of time so you know what's coming and follow the volunteers instructions. Disney races are so well run and they will not let you down!!!

I've run races alone and I always wind up making small talk with the people around me. You'll find they're just like you! I ran the Disney 5K back in Jan and the 5 women standing around me were all about the same age and had a similar "story". Once the race started, we were off and I only saw one of the ladies after and we gave high fives and congrats. Felt good to have someone there. :-).

This time, DH is running the DDD but is in the B corral. So I know I'll see him at the finish.

Fellow "F" er here! After 6 months of running since signing up, I could probably get higher but DH says it'll be good for my psyche to pass rather than be passed.

I've run races before where there were runners doing multiple distances. Don't worry about going the wrong way. Study the route ahead of time so you know what's coming and follow the volunteers instructions. Disney races are so well run and they will not let you down!!!

I've run races alone and I always wind up making small talk with the people around me. You'll find they're just like you! I ran the Disney 5K back in Jan and the 5 women standing around me were all about the same age and had a similar "story". Once the race started, we were off and I only saw one of the ladies after and we gave high fives and congrats. Felt good to have someone there. :-).

This time, DH is running the DDD but is in the B corral. So I know I'll see him at the finish.

SWEET! So I will recognize you because you are the one flying by :thumbsup2

All good info to know. Makes me feel better to know I will not be the only one running alone, or at least in a corral alone. :goodvibes

Any advice?

I just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't worry one bit! On my 10k I had ZERO training, I was planning on just not going or giving my spot to my fiance. I decided at the last minute to just go for it and boy was I glad I did. I am not a very fit person at all(although I am young and pretty average weight, which helps). But I decided I was going to walk most of it and finished it without a problem. I actually felt pretty good afterwards. I finished it in about an hour and a half, so it evened out to almost 15 mins a mile. I get decided I'd rather walk and finish it, then watch my fiance finish it while I sat down. ;) Truly, it wasn't half as bad as I expected. I just kept walking as fast as I could and ran a short bit to catch up with the time. God Bless!

I found when I do a combo run/walk I can do better than if I try to run a 1/2 mile and then walk. Experiment a little on your next workout with different combos of a run/walk of 1/1, 1/2 etc to find what works best for your body. In the next few days see if you can do 8-10 miles (my training plan had me do 11 miles today then start tapering off my long runs the next free weeks until DL half) Let me know how it works for you.

Thank you! I am definitely going to try that, but right now I'm having a hard time with 5 miles. I think it's easier to give up at home then during a race, so I tend to realize I'm tired faster. I need to get over that quickly. ;) I think I'll push myself to try to reach at least 8 miles then either tomorrow or Monday. If I can do 8 at 4 mph, I know I can finish the 13.1. I've always impressed myself during my smaller runs with how far determination and adrenaline can get me when it means being swept or pushing through. ;)

I just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't worry one bit! On my 10k I had ZERO training, I was planning on just not going or giving my spot to my fiance. I decided at the last minute to just go for it and boy was I glad I did. I am not a very fit person at all(although I am young and pretty average weight, which helps). But I decided I was going to walk most of it and finished it without a problem. I actually felt pretty good afterwards. I finished it in about an hour and a half, so it evened out to almost 15 mins a mile. I get decided I'd rather walk and finish it, then watch my fiance finish it while I sat down. ;) Truly, it wasn't half as bad as I expected. I just kept walking as fast as I could and ran a short bit to catch up with the time. God Bless!

Wow! Nice to know. I did not even occur to me that if necessary I could walk if the run/walk was too much. It is only 6.2 miles, so the distance is fine. I just tend to push myself as much as possible for 5ks that the thought of walking toward the end if necessary did not cross my nervous :rolleyes2 mind.

You have really helped calm my nerves. :goodvibes
You may have to remind me of that again as it gets closer :cool1:

I am super excited to just be able to run a Disney race! pixiedust: and 10k is actually perfect as a 5k is not enough for the trip, and I am not quite ready for a 1/2 yet.

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Wow! Nice to know. I did not even occur to me that if necessary I could walk if the run/walk was too much. It is only 6.2 miles, so the distance is fine. I just tend to push myself as much as possible for 5ks that the thought of walking toward the end if necessary did not cross my nervous :rolleyes2 mind.

You have really helped calm my nerves. :goodvibes
You may have to remind me of that again as it gets closer :cool1:

I am super excited to just be able to run a Disney race! pixiedust: and 10k is actually perfect as a 5k is not enough for the trip, and I am not quite ready for a 1/2 yet.

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

I'm glad I calmed your nerves! :) Yes, definitely run/walk if you can. However, it's always nice to know you have the walking option if things get rough. ;) The best part is there is plenty of walkers, so if you run/walk then you sure won't be near last. You'll feel better if you run a little though, it makes the walking not seem so bad once you stop. ;)

This is my first 1/2 well, my 1st time really running at all. I just couldn't get past 5 miles and I was really worried about it. Last night, I was able to run 10.22 miles! I put away my iPhone runkeeper, turned up my ipod and just ran for it. I am super excited and this the first time I feel that I might be able to finish it.

This is my first 1/2 well, my 1st time really running at all. I just couldn't get past 5 miles and I was really worried about it. Last night, I was able to run 10.22 miles! I put away my iPhone runkeeper, turned up my ipod and just ran for it. I am super excited and this the first time I feel that I might be able to finish it.

You're gonna rock it! Adrenaline will carry you those last 3 miles :thumbsup2 congrats on such a wonderful breakthrough!

Love reading everyones updates. Don't usually share our training, but couldn't help. We did our 13 miles today! I'm notorious for injuring myself. I've injured my knees, ankles, back, hips.. I'm only 26 yet somehow manage to treat my body like a piñata. Today's run was a success! Yes, I sprained my ankle (again) and my right knee started to act up. Ran through the pain however, and managed to complete our thirteen miles, beating our pb by 10 minutes! Woo! I'm on the road to recovery, and back to training on Tuesday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter