Official 2012 Wine and Dine ½ Marathon Thread

I'm going to participate in this one too. My wife wants to do the relay with her SIL so I'm hoping they are still going to do it.

As for travel arrangements, I'm making plans under the assumption that the "host resorts" will be the same....if not I'll be changing my reservations.

Last year we did the 5K in the morning of the W & D and I was sooooo jealous of the shirts the 1/2 marathon people got!! :rotfl2: I told DH that I wanted to do the half this year.

We go every November due to school break and are thrilled the race was moved. I am really concerned about crowds due to Jersey Week, end of F&W and VD. DH still wants to do the 5K in the morning, so I am thinking about doing both morning and night and sleeping all the way home the next morning!

I am planning on doing this race this year. We had actually already planned our trip for that time so I was happy with the change myself. Not sure howI will fare with the nighttime start but we shall see.

I'm thinking about signing up. This would be my first half. Do you think a night race would be a mistake for a first timer? I had hoped to try the Princess Half this weekend, but we ended up with family travel plans that conflicted. Maybe just as well since I've had bronchitis for 2 weeks and can't imagine running even 5 miles right now. A fall race would be better in terms of training... it's harder to stay active in the cold (we live in Maine.)

I say go for it! Just adjust your sleep schedule a day or two before the race. Its dark when you start any Disney half - whether it be a morning or night race. Your body wont know the difference if you feed it and rest it right.

The site is updated (still no host resort details that I could find)

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/wine-and-dine-half-marathon

Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon

$155 by May 22, 2012
$160 between May 23 and July 17, 2012
$185 on or after July 18, 2012

Disney Family Fun Run 5K

$50 per participant
$55 per Stroller division participant

runDisney Kids' Races

$10 per Kids' Dash participant
$25 per 1-Mile Run participant

$155! Holy moly thats expensive. I did Tink, which I got from a travel agent for I think $120. Why is this race so expensive? I'll still be doing it, but just wondering. Maybe Disney is raising prices for races right now across the board.:confused3

Hi Guys..

Just out of curiosity... Which ones were the host resorts last year and for the total newbie here.. Why is staying at a host resort a good thing?

Hi Guys..

Just out of curiosity... Which ones were the host resorts last year and for the total newbie here.. Why is staying at a host resort a good thing?

I can only recall that the Beach Club and the Boardwalk were host resorts. Because that is where we stayed.

A benefit of staying at a host resort is those locations are the only locations where runDisney provides transportation to race events (the expo and races) to and from. RunDisney charters buses through Mears for shuttling race participants around for the duration of the weekend. That is part of the higher than normal race registration.

That being said, I know there were quite a few people that walked over from the Yacht Club and the Dolphin to join us on the Beach Club shuttle bus.

I have also heard of the food courts in host resorts (for value resorts at least) having a special "runner's meal" and opening extra early to accommodate racers and their cheer squads. That isn't so much the case with the Wine & Dine, as it is a night race, though.

Hi Guys..

I found a PDF on Disney's website for the 2011 W&D 1/2 and the host resorts listed were Boardwalk, Beach Club, OKW, POR, POFQ and all four of the All-Star resorts. If you'd like me to forward the PDF, please send me a PM and I can email it to you.

I found a PDF on Disney's website for the 2011 W&D 1/2 and the host resorts listed were Boardwalk, Beach Club, OKW, POR, POFQ and all four of the All-Star resorts. If you'd like me to forward the PDF, please send me a PM and I can email it to you.

There are only 3 All-Star resorts, unless they are including Pop Century (the other Value resort.)

I stayed at the Dolphin and walked to the Boardwalk for the bus. Easy peasy!

We are staying at POP before our cruise but I still need to pick where we will be on the night of the race when we get back... I would love to stay at the swan/dolpin but then ME wouldn't take us to the airport, right? Is there a way to wait on my return trip from the POP portion until the 11th even though we check out of POP the 3rd and still get the free ride to MCO...?

Alternatively does anyone know what a shuttle would cost if we couldn't? I'd love to stay within walking distance of Epcot so we'd have to pick between the BeachClub and Boardwalk if not the Swalphin, right? Which has the nicer pool?:goodvibes

DH still wants to do the 5K in the morning, so I am thinking about doing both morning and night and sleeping all the way home the next morning!

I was talked into doing the 5k the morning of the half last year. I had to end up slowing my pace after mile 6 of the half as my legs were beginning to fade. If you are going for fun and not time not a big deal, but I learned that doing the 5k with a little park time mid day was too much even with a nice nap in the afternoon.

Hi Guys..

The host resorts will provide transportation to and from both the expo and the race. The first year we stayed at AS Music and at the end of the party it took 2 buses before we got on to get back to the room. Last year we stayed at BC and I will now always stay at either BC or BW. You can't beat the ease of walking back to the room after getting a few drinks and snacks around the showcase.

I really hope that they bring back the voucher for a drink and snack instead of the $10 gift card and the lame excuse for a drink right when entering the party. They have countless numbers of fantastic drinks to choose form in the party and they force you to choose bud or bud light as your drink! :confused3 I guess they figure you will want something that tastes like water?

There are only 3 All-Star resorts, unless they are including Pop Century (the other Value resort.)

I stayed at the Dolphin and walked to the Boardwalk for the bus. Easy peasy!

Whoops...sorry about that. The 3 All-Star resorts were listed, Pop Century was not.

I am considering running in the Wine & Dine Half Marathon this year.

Does Disney usually offer any specially priced room packages for those participating in these events? If so, does anyone have examples from the past couple years as to what these special rates might have been for various resorts?

For example, at the moment a three night stay at that time in a regular king room at Port Orleans Riverside looks to be right around $700 for my wife and I. I know this was one of the resorts last year.

Are there usually any offers on theme park tickets or dining?

Just got back from completing the Princess and can't wait to sign up for Wine & Dine. My parents stay at Boardwalk every year for Food and Wine Festival and convinced them to bump this years trip back just a little so I could run this one. Will be my first alone but they'll be there to support me.

The Princess was fun, not a PR, but felt better physically and mentally than after my first Half back in Nov. Was in Corral C and hope to bump up qualifying time in local 10K in the next month.

Thanks to all for info from prior year's races, keep it coming. Helps keep me motivated!!

I am in for the Wine & Dine in November. Planning to be there that week anyway since kids are on break from school. We will be camping this time at the Fort. Going in May for 9 days staying at AKV, so November is just a relaxing camping trip.

However, this is my first ever marathon!!!! I have been running for a year and just have not entered any races. I plan to just enjoy my run and finish with no time line this time.

Any tips around greatly appreciated.

Being new to this race, is this something you need to sign up for as soon as registration opens this month, or will spots be left a month or two from now?

I am still working on some logistical things before I know for sure I will be able to run this race. Chances are I will not be ready to register when it first opens.

Being new to this race, is this something you need to sign up for as soon as registration opens this month, or will spots be left a month or two from now?

I am still working on some logistical things before I know for sure I will be able to run this race. Chances are I will not be ready to register when it first opens.

It should be open for a couple months at least. That being said, the Disneyland ½ (with more bibs for registration than last year) sold out in a month.

Just saw the host resorts on the website:

Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

No Port Orleans this year....that was always a favorite of mine.

Just saw the host resorts on the website:

Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

No Port Orleans this year....that was always a favorite of mine.

Yep, saw that too. I was planning on booking for POR - but we've actually decided this is a good way to save some cash and booked at the ASMov. It'll be our first time to WDW (I went as a kid) - and we're not even visiting the parks! Should give us a feel for the layout and help us plan our 2014 trip!

Yep, saw that too. I was planning on booking for POR - but we've actually decided this is a good way to save some cash and booked at the ASMov. It'll be our first time to WDW (I went as a kid) - and we're not even visiting the parks! Should give us a feel for the layout and help us plan our 2014 trip!

Still a ton of stuff to do outside the parks and a great plan!!! With the start being at night, it can royally screw up any park plans anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter