Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also in the "red face" camp. I have had aerobics instructors stop the class before just to ask me if I was okay. Rather embarrassing! :laughing:

Yes to the staying red/pink for an hour or so after vigorous exercise, too.

OH YEAH[! ME TOO, all red faced but when I get through and Im stretching and the sweat is dripping off and hitting the pavement I feel so High and Powerful! I look Gooood in RED!

My first 10K is tomorrow morning and it's going to be raining. It hasn't rained in weeks and mother nature decides that my race day is the day it should rain. Actually the rain is starting already and suppose to last until tuesday or wednesday. Blah! Any advice on raining a race in the rain????

Hi Ladies

Just add me to the list of tough runs today.

I had a TOUGH 5k for various reasons - missed the train that would have got me to the race start about 20-25 minutes early by about 10 seconds. Yes, the doors were shut in my face (typical MBTA behavior). The next train? Would get me to my stop 5 minutes before the race started...if everything was on time...and then I still needed to walk to the starting line & drop off my bag to bag check.

I had to run from the train to the start (and I wasn't 100% certain on where exactly the start was), all but threw my bag at the nice bag check man, and squeezed my way into the crowd at what I assumed was the starting line. Had about 60 seconds and then a gun randomly went off...oh, good, I WAS at the starting line.

By 9:15 (race started at 9:00), I was DONE. I wanted to quit and plop my butt on the nice grassy area by the side of the road. I walked so much during the race, I couldn't even make it to the first mile marker without taking a walking break. There was a water stop at about half way and that was wonderful and gave me a 'legit' reason to walk...and walk I did.

There were a few nice downhill parts and one in particular happened to be particularly nice as there were trees and the wind was blowing a little. But then I saw the mile marker for Mile 3...to bad it was located at the bottom of a steep hill. I walked up about half of it and then just pushed through because at the top was a VERY nice downhill portion and I managed to fly through the finish line.

I know that I maintained a 10/mile at least through mile 2 - I made a point to check my watch. And I know that at 9:25 I thought to myself that I wouldn't meet my 29:00 goal time so I took a walking break, unfortunately at that point I didn't realize how close to the end I was (maybe 1/4 of a mile) or I would have pushed through.

I pulled through a gun time of 31:08, but I *think* my actual time was about 30:30...I don't remember seeing a timing mat at the beginning of the race so I'm basing that off of my watch time.

I think I need to run outside more.

You have just described my 1st race nightmare, I have to take a ferry to get to the race. I could have signed up for a race the day before, just 5 mins from my house, racing through the Toronto Zoo, but I forgot about that race and signed up for one on the Toronto Islands, agh!

Pj

Hi all! Did the Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon yesterday - it was 93 degrees at the start, and just got hotter from there.

My first 10K is tomorrow morning and it's going to be raining. It hasn't rained in weeks and mother nature decides that my race day is the day it should rain. Actually the rain is starting already and suppose to last until tuesday or wednesday. Blah! Any advice on raining a race in the rain????

So sorry about the weather for your race...I ran my 1st half in the rain, the ATL half when it went from Chamblee to Downtown like the Olympic Marathon rout. You know, it was kind of fun...we all suffered through it together...it would rain hard, then sprinkle then rain hard again.

Just watch where you are going, be extra careful so not to slip. I think I started out my race with a garbage bag while waiting to start....I also had a very light weight jacket that i eventually took off and tied around my waist, but that was november. My feet did get blisters though from being wet - so anything you can do to try to mitigate that is my advice.

Hoping there will be a break in the rain when you guys run.

So I was watching YouTUbe videos, and one came up from the Princess last year, and watching some of the ladies get their medals got me emotional. Just hoping that'll be me next year gets me both excited, nervous, and ready to keep training for it!

So sorry about the weather for your race...I ran my 1st half in the rain, the ATL half when it went from Chamblee to Downtown like the Olympic Marathon rout. You know, it was kind of fun...we all suffered through it together...it would rain hard, then sprinkle then rain hard again.

Just watch where you are going, be extra careful so not to slip. I think I started out my race with a garbage bag while waiting to start....I also had a very light weight jacket that i eventually took off and tied around my waist, but that was november. My feet did get blisters though from being wet - so anything you can do to try to mitigate that is my advice.

Hoping there will be a break in the rain when you guys run.

Thanks Julie. I'm so not looking forward to running it in the rain. Are you still doing next saturday? I think Adam is going to go in right after the race so I can run it without little people.

Thanks Julie. I'm so not looking forward to running it in the rain. Are you still doing next saturday? I think Adam is going to go in right after the race so I can run it without little people.

Yep I will be there next weekend....even though i haven't been running. Looking for a PR but we shall see. I just need to finish without hurting myself!

I will be in my yellow sparkle skirt so shouldn't be too hard to find me.

I just ran a 5K yesterday in the POURING rain! My advice - a hat or visor. It will help keep the rain out of your eyes. Also, body glide in the areas that may chafe - especially since you have a longer race. Yes, your clothes will stretch and stick to you, so consider that as well. However, the rain made me run faster - go figure! ;) Good luck!

Add me to the list of bad runs today. This is supposed to be an easy week on the training schedule and today's long run was only 4 miles (7 miles last week, 8 miles next week). You'd have thought it was 24 instead of 4. Yuck. Humidity kicked up several notches and that just ruined it. It was awful! Even hubby who is in better shape than I am had a terrible run. :sad2:

I haven't run in a week (I've been recovering from my first marathon,) so I'm hoping my runs this week aren't horrible. The temperature is supposed to be cooler all week at least:banana: I'm toying with the idea of signing up for a local 10k on Saturday. I ran it last year and totally lost it after the first 5k. My time wasn't horrible, but I was a couple minutes from breaking an hour, which was my goal. I really think I can do it this year. I'm just torn because $30 is a lot to spend on race while DH isn't working, and everyone I've tried to talk into running even the 5k with me has said no. Plus, If I do it and don't break an hour I'll be mad I spent the money. It's really close to where we live and I run on part of the course during my normal runs. Decisions, Decisions....

I'm glad signing up for the princess wasn't as hard of a decision to make :goodvibes

I figure, if there's no medal given with it, you might as well just run whatever the route is that they would have you do and time yourself. Then you've run the course for free, and can still break your hour by your own timing :)

I figure, if there's no medal given with it, you might as well just run whatever the route is that they would have you do and time yourself. Then you've run the course for free, and can still break your hour by your own timing :)

I've broken an hour in training runs before several times, just not in an official race. I'm leaning in that direction though if no one decides to do the race with me. I'm supposed to run 5-6 on Saturday, but I can sleep in a little now that the weather is cooler.

You have just described my 1st race nightmare, I have to take a ferry to get to the race. I could have signed up for a race the day before, just 5 mins from my house, racing through the Toronto Zoo, but I forgot about that race and signed up for one on the Toronto Islands, agh!

Pj

Pj, I'm signed up for the 10k zoo run, but the Island Girls run looks like fun! Next year I might do the 1/2 marathon, the medals look cool.

I'm sitting here jealous of those of you that could get out and run! (even the not so stellar runs) I see my surgeon wednesday for my post surgery appointment - but it seems as thought the surgery hasn't fixed my knee pain. The knee feels the same and the old swelling is back (or maybe the new swelling is down enough for me to finally see it's still there). I'll just have to see what the Dr says. But I sure wish I could have done the local 5K saturday! (knee hurt so much at the time I didn't even try to walk it!)

Hi all! Did the Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon yesterday - it was 93 degrees at the start, and just got hotter from there.
Congrats on the race, especially in that heat! (It was hot here in Cincinnati too.) How was the race course? Did you enjoy it? Did they have a nice medal or goodie bag?

I just ran a 5K yesterday in the POURING rain! My advice - a hat or visor. It will help keep the rain out of your eyes. Also, body glide in the areas that may chafe - especially since you have a longer race. Yes, your clothes will stretch and stick to you, so consider that as well. However, the rain made me run faster - go figure! ;) Good luck!

Body Glide - is this something everyone will need? However, my DH who is training for the MCM uses it, as well as two little round band-aids on his "chest". To me this is kind of like pregnancy again (particularly the baby's delivery): I'm soooo looking forward to the Half, but body glide, blisters, band-aids, black toe nails all seem scary! I'm only at 5.5 miles now and haven't had ANY issue...yet!

Happy Labor Day!

Nikki

Julie, thanks for suggesting the Blue Emu. I finally made it to Walmart this week and have been using it for a few days. I think it's helping.

Could the heat and humidity finally be breaking?

Body Glide - is this something everyone will need? However, my DH who is training for the MCM uses it, as well as two little round band-aids on his "chest". To me this is kind of like pregnancy again (particularly the baby's delivery): I'm soooo looking forward to the Half, but body glide, blisters, band-aids, black toe nails all seem scary! I'm only at 5.5 miles now and haven't had ANY issue...yet!

Happy Labor Day!

Nikki

I haven't needed it yet, but have heard that during high humidity or rain, places start to rub more. One spot is the sports bra line - I've had some spots there already. Don't let the 'scary stuff' bother you - running is worth it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter