Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michele - Just wanted to make sure that you know you don't HAVE to submit a 10k time unless you want to enter a predicted finish time of 2:45 or faster, which I think is like a 12:30 pace or better. (If you already knew this - ignore my message!) But I think it is a great idea, either way. It helped me get the feel of running in a crowd and gave me the feel of an "organized" race. Keep up the good work!!

Yes, I know. I just have this feeling I "need" to do it. Something about actually getting out there in a race and running farther than a 5K. I think my Half time will be about 3:00, so my 10K probably wont help me get a better corral. But it does give me 30 minutes for pictures :) I think I can keep a 12-13 min/mile pace for the 10K but I am really not sure! Latest 5K was 36 minutes. This is a small 10K, I think the slowest time last year was 1:22.

Yes, I know. I just have this feeling I "need" to do it. Something about actually getting out there in a race and running farther than a 5K. I think my Half time will be about 3:00, so my 10K probably wont help me get a better corral. But it does give me 30 minutes for pictures :) I think I can keep a 12-13 min/mile pace for the 10K but I am really not sure! Latest 5K was 36 minutes. This is a small 10K, I think the slowest time last year was 1:22.

I think doing a 10K is a great idea. It will be a confidence booster, and even if you can bump from corral F to E it will be worth it.

The half I did last weekend was a seriously small half and a fast field. Oh, and nice winds from Irene! There were 178 runners and I was very near the end with an official finish time of 2:59 (Garmin said 2:57 and they didn't do chip timing, so I am taking the Garmin at its word!).

I have an opportunity to do a local 10k in November (prior to the Dec 1 online cut-off), but haven't really decided to do it, wanting to save moola. My theory is/was that it didnt matter which corral I ended up in, I still was planning to do my run/walk/run method.

Should I do the 10k and submit my time or just go with the flow and end up where I end up as is? In doing the 5k at EPCOT this January, it was chaos. People were moving up into the upper corrals and then WALKED! There was no "stay to the right" for slow moving traffic, it was crazy. However, my family had a great time!

I'm only in my third week of training and LOVE IT! I get up and am out of the house before 4am some mornings...In all my 39 years, I never participated in any sports or athletics, so it was a shock to me that Im enjoying this all!

Nikki

Thanks to everyone for the ADR reminders....would have totally missed that one. Few questions...

besides a different starting spot, is submitting a time worth it? I did a 10K over the weekend at 1:06, but was not an official race. I can run one on 9/11 if it will make a difference for me. Also, stopping for pics etc, do you worry about your times or not? I am not competitive except with myself and I want to enjoy the race but fear that I will be on a mission to beat the time I have set for myself....what do other people do as far as pics and such...do you run by or stop and enjoy?

Thanks to everyone for the ADR reminders....would have totally missed that one. Few questions...

besides a different starting spot, is submitting a time worth it? I did a 10K over the weekend at 1:06, but was not an official race. I can run one on 9/11 if it will make a difference for me. Also, stopping for pics etc, do you worry about your times or not? I am not competitive except with myself and I want to enjoy the race but fear that I will be on a mission to beat the time I have set for myself....what do other people do as far as pics and such...do you run by or stop and enjoy?

Kaylee, wow on the time, awesome job. The rest of the questions will have to be answered by the race vets.

Pj

The princess 1/2 offers a lot of options as for characters out. I mean, almost every princess, prince, and classic, and new characters are out. I personally decided to stop and wait for the Pirates and for Mickey and Minnie (they were in their royal costumes which I believe, but could be wrong, only come out for this race). However, some of the characters on the main strip between Epcot and MK will be there on the way back with shorter lines. So for those it depends on who you want pictures with and when.

I took pictures with almost everyone except the princes and some of the more obscure princess (Meg from Hercules for example... is she even a princess???). I wasn't too concerned about time though and was just going for fun. Dland is my race to beat my PR and they don't offer as many characters throughout the race so it's a bit easier to be more competitive with the times.

Ok, great! Just making sure! You are considerably faster than I am! Keep up the good work!! Sounds like you'll do great!! And I like that you are already thinking about spending your "extra time" on pics!! That was definitely the best part for me!!

I was so glad that the princess 1/2 was the 2nd half marathon that I ran. I didn't really care much about time because I'd run a 1/2 about 3 months earlier where I pushed my hardest. I took pictures with almost all the characters that were out and had a blast. One common thing that I hear from people who ran their first 1/2 at Disney and didn't stop for pictures is that they wished they would have stopped. Your 10k time is great, and will most likely land you in corral B, so getting near the front of the corral will help you get shorter picture lines.

I had to switch up my schedule this week to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and was not really feeling like running today. I just kept reminding myself that you can always have a bad day but just had to get through it. I will be doing 6 miles on Friday so I hope that it will go well since today was bad.

I was so glad that the princess 1/2 was the 2nd half marathon that I ran. I didn't really care much about time because I'd run a 1/2 about 3 months earlier where I pushed my hardest. I took pictures with almost all the characters that were out and had a blast. One common thing that I hear from people who ran their first 1/2 at Disney and didn't stop for pictures is that they wished they would have stopped. Your 10k time is great, and will most likely land you in corral B, so getting near the front of the corral will help you get shorter picture lines.

I'm on board with the pictures, too. Last year's princess was my first (and only so far!) half, and I just wanted to finish - to know that I could do it. So I didn't really feel like I had a time to beat. I knew I could stay ahead of the sweepers, so I just went with the flow. I stopped for characters I liked or were "rare". If the line was just crazy long, I went on by. I plan on just having fun again this time, but am also planning on doing a local half in March to get my "real" time.

I had to switch up my schedule this week to Monday, Wednesday, Friday and was not really feeling like running today. I just kept reminding myself that you can always have a bad day but just had to get through it. I will be doing 6 miles on Friday so I hope that it will go well since today was bad.

Way to go! 6 miles will be awesome!

Thanks! That does make sense. So I will now try to commit for this 10k and post a good time. pirate: Cheese!

Nikki

Theoretically if you are near the front of any corral there will be a slight time advantage for the first few picture stops, although being at the front of A or B will be the biggest advantage. I would say most of the A runners don't care about stopping for pictures. I know there are some that do stop, but that is a small percentage of the total corral A population. By the time the B runners get to photo opps, the A runners that did stop will most likely be done and on to their next stop. The first character stops aren't really worth stopping for though. The first two stops last year were the pirates and the princes. It was still dark, so the pictures turned out poorly, and you can catch the same picture with even shorter lines on your way back to Epcot.

Good morning, princesses! Had a major setback last week---my running partner decided I was too slow for her and I am now training on my own. Went out on Sunday for my 10 miler and had to bail at 4...horrible blisters and just plain old feeling sorry for myself..:sad1:

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to make long runs alone a little easier? I had my ipod going with some disney podcast episodes to keep me company, but it just wasn't the same...

Thanks for any ideas!

Good morning, princesses! Had a major setback last week---my running partner decided I was too slow for her and I am now training on my own. Went out on Sunday for my 10 miler and had to bail at 4...horrible blisters and just plain old feeling sorry for myself..:sad1:

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to make long runs alone a little easier? I had my ipod going with some disney podcast episodes to keep me company, but it just wasn't the same...

Thanks for any ideas!

I have tons of music loaded on my ipod that is upbeat to listen to. I also have already made my tutu that I will be wearing so I can look at it before a long run to remember why I'm doing the running. I do not do my long runs alone, but my husband has music, I have mine and we don't talk.:goodvibes As far as the blisters go it could be the shoes or it could be the socks. I will not wear socks that have cotton. Just remember everybody has an off day, so next time should be better.

Upbeat music is my thing, I tried podcasts but my mind wandered and then I wanted to know what I missed and it was distracting.

Sadly I have Broadway stuff (real belters), Glee covers, some fast paced pop stuff and disney on my long run playlist. I have a slow song at the beginning, then some fast paced I want to dance to it songs, then some just really happy songs, then some fast paced again towards the end.

Pj

How funny. I much prefer to run alone. I can't get into my zone with distractions. For me, the key is music - loud and fast. Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Godsmack, Disturbed, etc.

Thanks for any ideas!

Oh! I feel for you! I always run alone. I don't know anybody in the area to run with and my DH has to stay at home with DS6 and DS3 while I run--very early in the am.
I would recommend going to a running shoe store and have them "fit" you for a good pair of running shoes. You dont necessarily have to buy from them, you can search the net for the best price. More often than not, there really isnt a better price, unless you go with an older version of the shoes that are now on clearance.
I run with my Droid and have three apps going: RunKeeper, music, and a GPS Traker (updates my location every 5-30 seconds so my husband can log in and know my whereabouts at all times). They are all free apps. PM me if you want more info.
I've got blinkers on the front and back of my shirt along with a reflective belt and a Garmin watch. Lastly, I carry my pepper spray velcroed to my right hand. With a cougar on the loose and coyotes in the area, you never know. I was startled this morning by a boxer puppy, she seemed friendly and ran with me a bit--had to run her back to her place though--maybe that would work for you? I have no idea how long/far they can run.
Good luck to you~if you lived closer, I'd run with you!

Thanks for any ideas!

I run alone, for me its all about music. I have a lot of songs in my RUN playlist - songs that make me smile, songs I love to dance to, some broadway belters, my disney favorites, some rock, some inspirational. I always just hit shuffle to get me through my run. I will say, one song that pulls me into the zone is John Williams Olympic Fanfare..... and its good and long. Somehow it always comes up just when I need it.

I agree about the socks and shoes. If you go to a runnign store, they might have group runs scheduled or posted somewhere. Also, meetup.com is a way to find a running group.

When you go out, just have in your mind "today I am doing xxxxx" and for me that works.

I also pick my routes so that I know I won't get bored or be miserable.

Good luck. Everyone has a bad run now and then. Just goes with the territory.

Thanks for any ideas!

Hi April,

I never train with a partner there just isn't anyone available, even when I go out to run with my daughters we run differently so we wave when we pass each other on the road LOL(although we will stick together on a race course- lets be honest - they'll slow down for me LOL.)
I like to listen to talk radio for my runs (word just keep me more intrested than music) and for my weekend long runs I try to do them when there's a football game on the radio (I've done long runs to IU and Purdue football and the Colts although I ususally try to do the longs on Saturday.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter