Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I KNOW! This rain won't quit! :headache: I don't mind running in light rain, as long as it's at least 60degrees or so out. Today wasn't bad but yesterday was pretty raw and drizzly and I couldn't make myself do it.

It's funny, when I decided a month ago to do the Princess 1/2, I started running outside and I found the one day I went to the gym to do my 30 min on a treadmill.....it was hard! I guess maybe training on something your body isn't used to is just naturally hard/different?

I know! This rain is just so depressing!! Its crazy!! Even the days that don't really rain hard, its just dreary and humid :P

I think it depends a lot on the climate and terrain outside where you plan to run. For example around here, it's super hilly, so going from the treadmill to the streets is quite a bit different. Also your treadmill is in a climate controlled space, and outside the weather can vary. Don't jump right into outside running on a long run. I did my last long run before the princess outside after training for the race on the treadmill and really aggravated an old knee injury. If you do some shorter runs first outside, then gradually work into longer runs, the transition shouldn't be too hard.

Thank you! I was thinking starting small and building up from there - where I live is mostly flat so I haven't been inclining the treadmill. My hardest thing will be right before the marathon I won't be able to train outside - by then we will have several feet of snow and as much as I'd like to think I'd run in the snow I know I won't! ;) So I hope to train as much outside until the weather gets really crappy next winter!

Thank you thank you for your advice!!!

Thank you! I was thinking starting small and building up from there - where I live is mostly flat so I haven't been inclining the treadmill. My hardest thing will be right before the marathon I won't be able to train outside - by then we will have several feet of snow and as much as I'd like to think I'd run in the snow I know I won't! ;) So I hope to train as much outside until the weather gets really crappy next winter!

Thank you thank you for your advice!!!

You're welcome, and I wouldn't worry about having to treadmill train before the princess. The course is pretty flat, with just a few hills. Also, don't rule out running in some of the elements. I don't do ice and snow well because I'm scared to fall and hurt myself, but I LOVE running in a nice drizzle/ rain. It's very refreshing!

Hello!

Would someone who knows how to post photos do me a huge favor? I am trying to interest some Moms in running the Princess on the Dis For Families/Dis Mom's Club thread.

I am ashamed to admit I don't know how to post photos, and I don't have time to learn this morning -- would someone who has done the race post a photo of their Princess medal on that thread?

I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Maria :upsidedow

Hello!

Would someone who knows how to post photos do me a huge favor? I am trying to interest some Moms in running the Princess on the Dis For Families/Dis Mom's Club thread.

I am ashamed to admit I don't know how to post photos, and I don't have time to learn this morning -- would someone who has done the race post a photo of their Princess medal on that thread?

I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I posted a couple pictures of the medal, and a link to my blog about the race with lots more pictures!

I posted a couple pictures of the medal, and a link to my blog about the race with lots more pictures!

Thank you so much! There are a bunch of first-timers who want to start running an thought the Princess would be a great first Half. I think the gorgeous medal is a terrific incentive!

Thanks for posting that, I just read your race report, it was great! I'm going to have to pick and choose my photos because I am just hoping to finish in the time allowed. So I bookmarked your site to look at as we get closer. Thanks again for posting all about the characters out.

OH, Heather!!! Your blog is awesome and your photos and race report from the 2011 Princess had me all weepy, in the good kind of way! Thank you for sharing and I will definitely keep returning to read this when a need a little motivation to keep up with the training. Cheers to you!!!princess:

Thank you so much! There are a bunch of first-timers who want to start running an thought the Princess would be a great first Half. I think the gorgeous medal is a terrific incentive!

And terrific incentive it is! Thanks... So here is the question most of us DisMoms have: Do we have enough time to train for the Princess 1/2? Most of us have either just started doing some sort of training or haven't even gotten off the couch yet. :rotfl: Some of us have thought about doing the 5k first and in 2013 do the 1/2, but now that we've seen Stitchfan18's photos and blog, not sure we want to wait.

And terrific incentive it is! Thanks... So here is the question most of us DisMoms have: Do we have enough time to train for the Princess 1/2? Most of us have either just started doing some sort of training or haven't even gotten off the couch yet. :rotfl: Some of us have thought about doing the 5k first and in 2013 do the 1/2, but now that we've seen Stitchfan18's photos and blog, not sure we want to wait.

Definitely. My recommendation is to start a run/walk program. I actually trained from a little bit active (gym 1-2 times a week) to the Princess in 3 months in 2010, although I don't recommend that.

FWIW, I was (and still am) almost 70 lbs overweight (at 220ish, 5'8") and will be 36 this year.

Princess 2010 gave me the running bug, and I completed my 5th half marathon last week. All but one have been under the 3:30 limit.

However, I follow Jeff Galloway's run/walk method, and am now a pace leader with a local training group that is endorsed by the man himself. I tried C25K once, and have come to the conclusion that I am not ever interested in running straight through.

Therefore, I started my training at a walk 10 min, run 1 min intervals, gradually increasing until I did walk 1 min, run 1 min.

Galloway's recommendation is two 30 min short runs during the week at your "race pace" (basically as fast as you can go), and one long run that is at least 2 min slower than your fastest. Long runs start with whatever you can currently do for a short run, and increase 10% each week until you are doing 10-12. You have plenty of time to get the mileage in that way.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!!

sometimes moms have to be creative with training time (especially with schools getting out) but find a friend to trade child watch with while training or maybe a neighborhood teen would do it fairly cheap an hour a day. I used to let the kids play on the infield of the local school track (which was open and could be used by the public) while I ran when the kids were little. Now they watch themselves of come running with me- I"m hoping to have all 3 DDs at Princess running this coming Feb.

After this past year, my mom and I decided to make princess weekend a mother/daughter trip every year because we had so much fun. Well last night my mom mentioned that she probably doesn't want to go next year since we will be there for a week for marathon weekend. I still want to do it, but now I'm torn about whether I should do the princess again, or tinkerbell. Traveling solo makes me think Princess since I'm very familiar with WDW, and have never been to DL, but it would be cool to get the C2C medal and run DL! I'm bummed to travel solo, hopefully I can change my moms mind and persuade her to come...

I think you can -- I was completely out of shape and well over 200 lbs when I did my first Half. I say I trained for a year, and I did, but not very well. I didn't eat properly to fuel my body, I was walking and holding onto the treadmill the whole time, and my clothes were all cotton...which I've learned are all big No-Nos!

I got some great advice from the WISH boards, but I could have gotten a lot more if I had been more vocal. If you're wondering about something, even if it seems like it should be obvious, ask! I have found that WISHers are the most supportive, encouraging, and knowledgable people!

The key for me was to find a good plan and get started. Marathoning for Mortals was awesome for me, lots of people do fantastic with Couch to 5K, and I'm sure there are other great suggestions out there.

I am so glad you guys are on board -- you are going to love it and have the time of your lives! :cheer2: I'm also psyched I found the DIS Moms thread -- it's nice to see a family thread where you can belong even if you've left the strollers and goldfish crackers behind (then again, who really wants to give up the Pepperidge Farm :blush:!)

I got some great advice from the WISH boards, but I could have gotten a lot more if I had been more vocal. If you're wondering about something, even if it seems like it should be obvious, ask! I have found that WISHers are the most supportive, encouraging, and knowledgable people!

I totally agree with this statement. There are no stupid questions! I've learned so much from the people on these boards, and I'm still learning every day!

Ran my 1st race in 15 years today. I didn't do as well as I had hoped in the 5K, allergy attack that I refused to acknowledge has now over come me, it was hot and crowded. :eek: I finished in 29:16... not what I was hoping, I really wanted to be in under 29 (somewhere in the 28 range)... and I think I could have done it had I pushed it just a bit harder. But nonetheless I did finish 4th in my division. :dance3: So that is something to be pretty happy about. Next up a 10K on July 4th... not expecting much for that race since it'll be July in the south. :scared1:

Okay ... for those encouraging what may be silly questions ... Just wore a new pair of Asics today and with it being my "rest" day ... I walked 3.1 mls. and now have a blister on the inside of my foot. Tomorrow is a run day with less than a week before the 5k. I live in Houston and it is humid so I am guessing that has something to do with the blister. What do I do to make it go away asap?

Okay ... for those encouraging what may be silly questions ... Just wore a new pair of Asics today and with it being my "rest" day ... I walked 3.1 mls. and now have a blister on the inside of my foot. Tomorrow is a run day with less than a week before the 5k. I live in Houston and it is humid so I am guessing that has something to do with the blister. What do I do to make it go away asap?

I always get the liquid out, and then leave it alone to heal. I'm not sure it's the best way, but it works for me. I use body glide on my feet to prevent blisters, so I've been fortunate to have very few.

That is what I did. I first got interested in the Princess for 2011, but knew I would not be ready. I ran my first 5K last May, and was dying at the end. Now I KNOW I can get ready for the 2012. I didn't get in a running grove until I found Galloway. Trying to run the whole way was just not working for me. But I am also 40 years old and wasn't even able to run 1 mile when I ran track in HS. So yes, you CAN do it, and many people do, but I would advise you to know your body to decide.

Hi guys-

Hope you all are well! I'm so "darn" frustrated! I have been doing so great and thought my shin splints were gone and even got my 2 mile pace down in the low 11's and now my shins are killing me again. I've taken seven days off from any walking or running. I'm so bummed because finally the "want" to run is there for the first time in my life but the body ain't......

I've been good about icing and foam rolling them, new shoes as well. Now with the new shoes my feet kill me, which never happened in the old shoes. Anybody ever have to try multiple pairs of shoes until you get it right? Going to take a few more days off and see what happens.

Also, wanted to get some opinions on this. I have completely flat feet, but have been told after gait analysis that I do not pronate at all. However, I do wear flip flops alot especially the past month. Could this maybe be my problem?

Well enough belly aching from me. In Vegas now with my sis so the only exercise I'm getting is my right arm using the slots......

Best wishes and training to everyone!

That is what I did. I first got interested in the Princess for 2011, but knew I would not be ready. I ran my first 5K last May, and was dying at the end. Now I KNOW I can get ready for the 2012. I didn't get in a running grove until I found Galloway. Trying to run the whole way was just not working for me. But I am also 40 years old and wasn't even able to run 1 mile when I ran track in HS. So yes, you CAN do it, and many people do, but I would advise you to know your body to decide.

I hear ya, in HS I was always the last person in gym class picked for teams, and when the gym teacher made us run laps around the gym, I would always be the last and the class would lap me at least 2 times, then she would make me finish myself and the class giggling at me! And now I've worked myself up to running 5 miles straight on a treadmill!! Part of my motivation is showing myself how far I have come and knowing that this is MY time! I'm able to do this because my body is now ready to do something super cool like this!!

When I get the medal - and I am keeping that confidence that I will get that medal - I wish I could look up all my old gym teachers, send them a pic of me with that medal cause I feel like it would be sticking my middle finger at them for all their torture through those difficult years! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter