• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2012 Princess 1/2 marathon thread part 2

4happybogles--I am so sorry for all your injuries! Injuries stink! IMO, IF your doctor gave the ok to start then I say go for it. Just figure out what criteria indicate calling it a day. I know it would be heartbreaking to not finish, but you have come through so much to get here and just starting is a huge victory. When my foot was really bad last fall and I could hardly stand to walk, my DH kept saying--if all you can do is walk across the starting line and wait for the bus, then so be it. This might not make sense to some people, but that thought kept me going through all the painful physical therapy and rehab.

And fwiw--I would start in what ever corral you get assigned to. If you are concerned stay to the side and the back of the corral. I know others will strongly disagree with me, but you earned the right to start in that corral, and I know you will be courteous to the faster runners.

Hang in there. No matter what happens, try to remember you have worked very hard to get to this point.:hug:

I think with the time I turned in for my 10K I should be in coral B (ish) Would it be horrible to start in B and just walk?? I know that is where most of the runners are, but I am thinking if i can stay to the side, I might be able to get through this....Everyone is telling me no, don't, you shouldn't, but I really need to hear, give it a try, we understand, if you can handle the pain we support you.. I figured there might be someone on this board who might feel the same way as I do and just let me know I am not nuts!! I just needed to share and get this off my chest, I don't ever want to feel like I gave up just as I got the finish line!

OH NO!! So sorry about your injury. :hug:

If you get clearance and are in Corral A or B, definitely start in your corral. Start at the back of the corral, stay to the side, and be mindful of others, but you earned that corral and the cushion that comes with it.

I am in C (and earned it), but also suffered a minor injury and will be walking under the guidelines Rose and I just outlined. I did the same thing last year, too (you would think I'd learn! :laughing:).

I will 100% stay to the side and in the back and watch for runners who are coming. I have ran in races where walkers did not get to the side, i have seen runners get injured because of said walkers. I ran a 5K last year, they asked for the walkers to be in the back, a lady at the very start of the line, ran across the start line and then stopped, a dead stop and slowly started to walk, there were at least 10 runners who tripped or fell over her. I have been injured personally, because of walkers. My favorite, was when a dog was running in a race and stopped to poop, that was fun, thankfully I missed the dog and the pile, but my ankle was sore for a few weeks. I am a die hard music runner, but if I walk this I will be going without music so I can hear those around me. I really apperciate all the postive things, they are helping! The positive in all of this is there is still a week, I can get a bit of pain relief and I can always use a wheel chair to get around disney after the race!

Sickness has hit my house big-time. Thankfully it's this week instead of next week. I hope we are now on the road to recovery and I hope my mom doesn't get it too! So far no running for me this week but hopefully I'll manage a few miles later today, even if it's just fast walking.

I'm happy and scared when I see 9 days on my countdown! aaa!!! :banana:

Okay princess runners, I need your help. I need encouragement and inspiration!
I have been training for this half marathon for a year now. I ran my first 5K last Feb with a run time of 32 minutes. Since Feb I have ran in 15 5K's, I have done 2 10K's and I have managed to turn in a time of 2:10 when I run my 13.1 miles in training. My fastest 5K since last Feb was an amazing 25:10 (ran in 31 degree weather at that!!) I have made so much progress and have worked so hard. (I should mention, I had an illness 4 years ago that effected my brain, I was no longer able to walk, eat, or remember things, the fact that I can even run again is HUGE to me, it took me over a year to figure out how to walk up steps!)
Then in Jan I broke two toes, I am a fighter, so I let them rest a 2 weeks and went back to training. I knew my finish time was was going to be closer to 2:30 with the toes, but i was still very happy with that... well then last weekend, Saturday, somehow, while running, I tore my meniscus and my lateral tendon. I have been to the doctor, we have been doing a lot of talking and going over options, thankfully nothing is seperated. She is debating giving me the green light to try and do the half next weekend. I have already come to terms with the face I cannot run the whole thing, I just want to do it, prove to myself I am going to get through this and I can do this. I think with the time I turned in for my 10K I should be in coral B (ish) Would it be horrible to start in B and just walk?? I know that is where most of the runners are, but I am thinking if i can stay to the side, I might be able to get through this....Everyone is telling me no, don't, you shouldn't, but I really need to hear, give it a try, we understand, if you can handle the pain we support you.. I figured there might be someone on this board who might feel the same way as I do and just let me know I am not nuts!! I just needed to share and get this off my chest, I don't ever want to feel like I gave up just as I got the finish line!

Don't kill yourself. Only you know how hard you've been training for this.Stay to the right and walk and only do a light jog every once in a while if you can. Feel better!!

I'm thinking of letting my husband run up ahead and meet me by mile 12. I know he doesn't like the run/walk intervals and I tire out if I run mile after mile after mile. If you see a handsome, bald-headed guy jogging in place and waiting for someone, just tell him I'll be there soon! LOL

4happybogles: I was in B last year and walked the whole thing - signed up and then got pregnant (oops!) I couldn't run it, but I did still finish. No one seemed to be bothered by my slow pace, but I started near the back and stayed to the right. I would totally go for it if you feel up to it and if doc says ok! It was a long walk, but it was still an accomplishment I was very proud that I managed to finish. Good luck!

I have been training for this half marathon for a year now. I ran my first 5K last Feb with a run time of 32 minutes. Since Feb I have ran in 15 5K's, I have done 2 10K's and I have managed to turn in a time of 2:10 when I run my 13.1 miles in training. My fastest 5K since last Feb was an amazing 25:10 (ran in 31 degree weather at that!!) I have made so much progress and have worked so hard. (I should mention, I had an illness 4 years ago that effected my brain, I was no longer able to walk, eat, or remember things, the fact that I can even run again is HUGE to me, it took me over a year to figure out how to walk up steps!)
Then in Jan I broke two toes, I am a fighter, so I let them rest a 2 weeks and went back to training. I knew my finish time was was going to be closer to 2:30 with the toes, but i was still very happy with that... well then last weekend, Saturday, somehow, while running, I tore my meniscus and my lateral tendon. I have been to the doctor, we have been doing a lot of talking and going over options, thankfully nothing is seperated. She is debating giving me the green light to try and do the half next weekend. I have already come to terms with the face I cannot run the whole thing, I just want to do it, prove to myself I am going to get through this and I can do this. I think with the time I turned in for my 10K I should be in coral B (ish) Would it be horrible to start in B and just walk?? I know that is where most of the runners are, but I am thinking if i can stay to the side, I might be able to get through this....Everyone is telling me no, don't, you shouldn't, but I really need to hear, give it a try, we understand, if you can handle the pain we support you.. I figured there might be someone on this board who might feel the same way as I do and just let me know I am not nuts!! I just needed to share and get this off my chest, I don't ever want to feel like I gave up just as I got the finish line!

I feel your pain- literally- as I have been recovering from a foot injury for the last 2 weeks. I started running back in May and ran my first 5k ever in June- My first 10k In Nov. I felt the same feelings you have- Can I do it, should I do it? Should I still be in the corral I am assigned- I've trained so hard for this- I have come to the conclusion that no matter what- I have got to try- RUN, WALK ,CRAWL or be DRAGGED across the finish! :rotfl2::thumbsup2

Only you know what your body can do- to quote my son's TKD instructor the "Body does what the mind tells it."

See you all at the finish line!

My daughter (14) and I have been training to run the 1/2 and are ready to go! She has had some funny arm twitches for the last month and this morning her leg gave a twitch which landed her on the ground. Most mornings at about 6:30am, she will have a funny twitch which is intense enough it will lead to her dropping her make-up, brush or whatever is in her hand. It is isolated to the mornings and there is no pain or numbness associated with the twitch. We called the Dr. and since she was not in the office today, she sent us to the ER. X-ray showed nothing (good news) but she is scheduled for an MRI tomorrow (scary). I have no idea what could be causing this. The ER did say she can have NO physical exercise until she sees the Dr. tomorrow. We are supposed to leave next Thursday for the 1/2 marathon but as of now, I am nervous. Please send good vibes our way. Thank you.

I'm glad you have taken the steps to determine what is causing the twitching. I hope it's nothing serious! My daughter is the same age and has had numerous MRIs and scary tests to pinpoint the cause of her mysterious back pain. It's tough as a parent to sit by and watch while quietly wondering to yourself 'what is wrong?!'. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

I can't believe this happened to me, especially since I'm the one that posted that it seemed like only media was invited - but I was chosen as one of 80 Princesses to run with Jeff Galloway next Friday! I'm super super excited. I went for a 2 mile run yesterday just make sure my leg is well enough to keep up the pace and I think I'll be just fine. I will be sure to post pics next week! Keep an eye for me on the Disney Parks Blog - I'm debating wearing my Cheshire Cat themed running costume that I'm wear for the 1/2 on Sunday. We'll see...
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...marathon-weekend-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

I can't believe this happened to me, especially since I'm the one that posted that it seemed like only media was invited - but I was chosen as one of 80 Princesses to run with Jeff Galloway next Friday! I'm super super excited. I went for a 2 mile run yesterday just make sure my leg is well enough to keep up the pace and I think I'll be just fine. I will be sure to post pics next week! Keep an eye for me on the Disney Parks Blog - I'm debating wearing my Cheshire Cat themed running costume that I'm wear for the 1/2 on Sunday. We'll see...
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...marathon-weekend-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Congrats! That's super exciting and I can't wait to hear all about your experience.:)

Today was the first day showing sunday on the weather channel 10 day forecast on the phone app and it looks like its going to be 83 and partly cloudy! Just need to keep our fingers crossed that no rain and lightning will show up before then!

Finished up my costume. I might end up adding the white stripes to the corset, but with the bib they won't be seen anyway. The first picture is a close up of the ruffles...believe it or not, this was the most difficult part and it took me a week!

racecostume3.jpg

racecostume4.jpg

Today was the first day showing sunday on the weather channel 10 day forecast on the phone app and it looks like its going to be 83 and partly cloudy! Just need to keep our fingers crossed that no rain and lightning will show up before then!

10% chance of rain that day so I don't think we'll be in trouble. By the time I start running, I imagine it should be about 70 outside. I like the mostly cloudy but I hope that doesn't translate into humid.

Finished up my costume. I might end up adding the white stripes to the corset, but with the bib they won't be seen anyway. The first picture is a close up of the ruffles...believe it or not, this was the most difficult part and it took me a week!

racecostume3.jpg

racecostume4.jpg

Great job!!

Nice job Mary Poppins!! Nice way to translate a non-running friendly costume into something that looks good for running!

Congratulations! I'll still be in IL at that time, but I can't wait to hear all about it!

I would definatly go for it (if your doc approves that is), you have worked hard! And def. go for your corral - you have earned that spot!!

Good luck and sending prayers for a good recovery :thumbsup2

Congrats!! I was hoping a Dis-er would get picked!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

racecostume3.jpg

racecostume4.jpg

That is an amazing outfit!! Great work :thumbsup2

Great news, the doctor said I can give this race a try. The damage to the leg is not as bad as it could have been, and as long as I wear the brace, she said I shouldn't do too much more damage. I am not able to run until the race, and then no more running after it, but I can handle that, as long as I can get it done, I am going to be one very happy person!!!! Here's to an amazing race for everyone....Power to the Princesses!

So exciting! I'm glad a DIS princess was picked! I was bummed that I missed seeing it in time, but I don't arrive until friday afternoon, and when I priced out arriving a day early it would have cost me at least $400 more. No thanks! Have fun, can't wait to hear all about it!

Great news, the doctor said I can give this race a try. The damage to the leg is not as bad as it could have been, and as long as I wear the brace, she said I shouldn't do too much more damage. I am not able to run until the race, and then no more running after it, but I can handle that, as long as I can get it done, I am going to be one very happy person!!!! Here's to an amazing race for everyone....Power to the Princesses!
Great news! I hope you have a great race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter