Official 2011 Wine & Dine Half and Relay Thread

Shelby, Dangy - If you use runkeeper, how come we are not street team members? :)

Todd - I also have a special playlist for the race. Lots of race paced techno stuff. Hee hee.

- Carey

I don't think it sounds silly at all. I know the music I listen to affects my pace. Which is why I have a special 1/2 marathon playlist instead of just hitting shuffle when I train.

We are street team members. My user name on runkeeper is n2disney :)

Would love to know what songs are on your iPod - I am about an hour short of "good songs" for my expected finish time. I have acombination of hip/hop, rap, techno and 80's music :)

Hi All,

Been lurking for a while...I am also preparing for next week. I am very excited! This is my 3rd Disney half. I am a walk/run person, and it works really well for me. Donald 2010 was 13mpm pace, Princess 2011 was 12mpm pace and I am hoping for 11mpm this time.

I was wondering if some of you would share your top 3 or so songs from your playlists. I am always trying to expand the running "Go Girl" playlist! Here are my current top 3:

Fort Minor "Remember the Name"... I am not a hard core rap girl, but the beat in this one is my top speed. It really gets me moving!

Metro Station "Shake It"

"Uprising" Muse

:)

One week before we leave! I'm excited and also quite a bit nervous about this race.

I'm glad to hear we aren't the only ones cutting back on our training! DH has shin splint issues and my hip has been stiff the last couple of days despite not running since Tuesday. Our last long run was on September 10 so that better be good enough because there is no time to squeeze another one in.

What are everyone's plans for race day? We might be heading over to the MK for rope drop just to see what might be happening for the 40th anniversary but the rest of the day will be pretty low key back at our resort.

I have a question for the runners who ran the Wine and Dine half last year. My bib number is 1137, and I imagine I will be in coral b. How crowded is the first mile or so? Does it take a while until you can get up to your normal pace? This will be the largest race I have run to date.

Thanks in advance Bill

I was in a later corral last year. It was crazy crowded at the start. Don't do what I did.. It was time to run so I got into the grass to run around a crowd.. the grass has holes in it! Don't do what somebody else tried during the half in january.. The race path is very narrow through the parks. There will be spots you cannot run. Don't try to push people out of the way.. Somebody tried to push me out of the way.. he went flying.

One week before we leave! I'm excited and also quite a bit nervous about this race. DH has shin splint issues and my hip has been stiff the last couple of days despite not running since Tuesday. Our last long run was on September 10 so that better be good enough because there is no time to squeeze another one in.

What are everyone's plans for race day? We might be heading over to the MK for rope drop just to see what might be happening for the 40th anniversary but the rest of the day will be pretty low key back at our resort.

I get on the bike between runs to release my hips... You may want to try that.

I get on the bike between runs to release my hips... You may want to try that.

Thanks! I'll have to try that. I've been mostly just resting but not doing anything these last few days has been driving me crazy so I was planning on getting on the elliptical tonight after work.

Where do you guys see what corral you're going to be in? I'm bib #7126.

Very nervous. Haven't been able to train in the past three weeks due to overly busy schedule and other stupid things.

I have a question for the runners who ran the Wine and Dine half last year. My bib number is 1137, and I imagine I will be in coral b. How crowded is the first mile or so? Does it take a while until you can get up to your normal pace? This will be the largest race I have run to date.

Thanks in advance Bill

I cannot say 100% for sure, but if I had to bet on it, I would say you will be in the first coral. I was there last year and will be this year too. I did not have much trouble getting up to speed last year. Be patient early on, you will make up the time later. Getting too worked up and bouncing around will make it worse and probably cost you later on. By the first mile (probably sooner) you should be able to hit what pace you want.

I too want to have a low key day and try to stay off my feet. We will start our day with a huge delicious breakfast at Kona Cafe, then we plan to check in at the Boardwalk, stop by the expo to pick up our packets, and then mill about the boardwalk area and possibly walk into Epcot for some light F&W snacks. I'm wary of running that late, so I think I'm going to try to head back to the resort and take a nap around 4ish or so...not sure if I will really be able to sleep with all that excitement and nervous energy but we shall see!

Very nervous. Haven't been able to train in the past three weeks due to overly busy schedule and other stupid things.

Don't really know for sure until you pick up your bib. It says on the bib. I have not seen anywhere that tells you which numbers are in which coral yet.

Hi All,

Been lurking for a while...I am also preparing for next week. I am very excited! This is my 3rd Disney half. I am a walk/run person, and it works really well for me. Donald 2010 was 13mpm pace, Princess 2011 was 12mpm pace and I am hoping for 11mpm this time.

I was wondering if some of you would share your top 3 or so songs from your playlists. I am always trying to expand the running "Go Girl" playlist! Here are my current top 3:

Fort Minor "Remember the Name"... I am not a hard core rap girl, but the beat in this one is my top speed. It really gets me moving!

Metro Station "Shake It"

"Uprising" Muse

:)

Hello from Houston! Some of my favorite songs for running to get pumped up:
  • Destiny's Child - Survivor (especially when I'm feeling like I'm about to die)
  • Muse - Knights of Cydonia
  • Yin Yang Twins - Halftime

Oooh! I'm 7161, we are close!

I haven't done a long run (and long for me was only 9 miles) for 2 or 3 weeks now, so I too am nervous...

Thanks in advance Bill

I can't answer your question but I'm bib# 1127! In looking at the bib#s posted I'm thinking we might actually be in coral a. That is if they want to make them evenly split.

I've run the Marine Corp marathon which had 10k+ runners in it and it does take a while to get up to speed. BUT I'd highly recommend taking it easy the first three miles or so regardless. I tend to see a great number of racers go too hard up front and pay for it in the end. I've been working very hard on starting with a certain pace and sticking with it.

Hi All,

Metro Station "Shake It"

First off let me preface this with ... I'm old.

I also have a strange taste in music. My playlist ranges from country to beyonce... Top three is hard just because you need the entire list. But here goes the top three- 3 A.M. Matchbox Twenty, Triping Billies Dave Matthews band, The Truck Song Lyle Lovett

I also have Christian in the list too.

Thanks supercritter. That is good advice. I have gone out too fast in 2 of my 3 halfs to date. I am a newer runner. I have only been running since April of 2010. I apprecaite the advice.

Thanks Bill

One week before we leave! I'm excited and also quite a bit nervous about this race.

I'm glad to hear we aren't the only ones cutting back on our training! DH has shin splint issues and my hip has been stiff the last couple of days despite not running since Tuesday. Our last long run was on September 10 so that better be good enough because there is no time to squeeze another one in.

Because it is a night race. The day of the race centers around... food.

Actually I will start Friday night working on my food needs. Protein Friday night. I'm thinking O'Hanna's if I can find somebody to go with me. (Went there last year by myself and felt bad wasting all the food they bring before the meat.)

So Saturday will start with a bigger breakfast, anywhere but where I'm staying (All Star Sports).

Then back to a pool to lay around and drink water.

Lunch will be at 3:00 - 4:00 Pm. Quick service at a good resort. Probably the contemporary because of the flat bread lunchs they have. Then back to the room to lie down. Get up at 7 and have a snack. Probably cliff bars I'll pick up at the Expo.

Carey

I will arrive on Friday Afternoon. Not so sure what time cause the ride from Atlanta to Orlando will take about 7-8 hours. Not so sure if i can make the meet at 5pm cause we will still have to get to the expo to get our numbers and check into our hotel room but then the hotel room is by DTD. I'll keep you guys posted. My bib is like in the 8000's. Can i show my time from the 10k to get into the earlier coral?

Thanks in advance Bill

I was in coral A, started maybe 10 feet from the front of the pack, and the first mile was a bit packed. It is like that for almost every half I've done. You always have people starting slower than they should for where they line up and having a turn so close to the start (within the first mile) doesn't help because too many people pinch over while making the turn.

The roads are wide though and it didn't take too long to get through the crowds and get into your normal pace for the first 5K of the race.

Don't really know for sure until you pick up your bib. It says on the bib. I have not seen anywhere that tells you which numbers are in which coral yet.

It used to be on the waiver up next to the number, have they removed it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter