Official 2011 Wine & Dine Half and Relay Thread

I did it!!!! I FINALLY ran outside for the first time ever (let's keep in mind I just started running one month ago):cool1: I ran 4mins, walked 2mins for 2miles and just finished it in a little over 24mins. Now that may not be anything to you avid runners but I am so proud of myself. Thought I'd share:rotfl: And on a side note, what a big difference compared to running on a treadmill. Outside was MUCH HARDER.

Congratulations but I'm surprised you found it harder. I can go both faster and further outside than I ever could on a treadmill and that seems to be true of everyone I know.

Congratulations but I'm surprised you found it harder. I can go both faster and further outside than I ever could on a treadmill and that seems to be true of everyone I know.

I agree, except for when you're first transitioning. If you've always run on a treadmill, outside is very difficult.

I find running outside harder because I tend to rush my pace and wear myself out. When I'm on the treadmill, I'm stuck at one speed and I pace myself better. Trying to keep myself from burning out is one of the biggest challenges I'm working on right now.

Sorry to hear that. I thought I had read it on their website recently.

yep, I also saw it on their website. I got NO response from filling in the online form, emailing the email address on the FLEX website, or leaving a message at the number on the site... so I contacted our local chapter of TNT. They also said they just finished their fall line-up, and the Wine and Dine is not on their list.

Bummer. More annoying, is that I have been fundraising for Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation, but my 4 yr old was recently diagnosed with leukemia, and I really wanted to shift my fundraising focus to LLS. But after the lack of interest in getting back to me, I think I'll look elsewhere...

Unlike on a treadmill were I could choose my speed and it maintained that speed for me, I found that I ran faster outside because I didnt have that luxury. And maybe this is silly but I found the cold air made it harder to control my breathing. Hmmmmm. who knows, maybe I am just weird like that:rolleyes:

I find running outside harder because I tend to rush my pace and wear myself out. When I'm on the treadmill, I'm stuck at one speed and I pace myself better. Trying to keep myself from burning out is one of the biggest challenges I'm working on right now.

I think this is what I experienced today, especially since I have Never been a runner or even tried it.

I don't think there will be a discount on APs. The rules for the discounted "sports tickets", as they call them, are very specific for the time frame around the event, and I would think no other discounts would apply to them. The disclaimer emphasizes that all discounts have been applied to those tickets.
Were you looking to get tickets for someone else when you are down for the 1/2 marathon? The disclaimer says "travel party", so you should be ok to buy tickets for other people joining you on the trip for the half.

Thank you so much for your response! When I am down in May I will be with my family, but in October it will just be me and my boyfriend who is also running the race. Just thought I'd ask about any chance for a discount before I went ahead and bought the AP!

Unlike on a treadmill were I could choose my speed and it maintained that speed for me, I found that I ran faster outside because I didnt have that luxury. And maybe this is silly but I found the cold air made it harder to control my breathing. Hmmmmm. who knows, maybe I am just weird like that:rolleyes:

I remember when I first started running outside it was so hard!! It was very hard to not to run too fast and feel like my lungs and heart were going to explode. And I know what you mean about the cold air, too. It just takes getting used to. It took some time for me to get used to pacing myself after relying on the treadmill (which I did the entire C25K program on). That was two years ago. Now pacing myself comes naturally. Keep up the great work, you'll get there!! :)

Learning to pace yourself is one of the big challenges that a lot of beginning runners don't think about. I know when I first started running I was much the same. I still liked running outside better but it took a little while to learn to pace myself.

A shortcut of course would be to get a Garmin watch that keeps your pace so you know. In all honesty though I would hold off for a little while on that and concentrate on judging pace not by time but by effort. It isn't uncommon to be able to increase your pace during a race without really increasing your effort (or perceived effort). The adrenaline, surroundings, water stops, and mentality of racing all help to allow you to run a little faster at around the same perceived effort. By being able to judge your running not by pace but by effort you can take advantage of that and finish the 5K (or whatever distance) in a faster time than by relying on pace alone.

On the website it states we get two of everything (batons, shirt, goody bag) but only one taste and sip. Is this a misprint?

And for anyone that did the relay last year I would like to hear any comments, pros or cons. Is the switch off confusing? Transporation?

Thanks.

On the website it states we get two of everything (batons, shirt, goody bag) but only one taste and sip. Is this a misprint?

And for anyone that did the relay last year I would like to hear any comments, pros or cons. Is the switch off confusing? Transporation?

Thanks.

The transportation stuff is very easy. Both teammates take the bus to the start line. Runner #2 drops their bag with the bags of the runners who are running all 13.1 miles. Runner #2 takes the #1 bag with them to the relay point at Animal Kingdom. Runner #2 gets on the bus to AK and waits for #1 to show up. The course is very well marked for the relay runners.

Thanks.

I am thinking it is a misprint.

I was going to sign up for the 5K (my first one!) but my friend wants me to run the Half with her, i'm a little nervous since I'm first training for the 5k. How realistic is it to achieve the half relay by October?

I was going to sign up for the 5K (my first one!) but my friend wants me to run the Half with her, i'm a little nervous since I'm first training for the 5k. How realistic is it to achieve the half relay by October?

Completely fine. I started running 30 seconds at a time on March 12th of last year, and did 13.1 for the first time on September 19th, and then ran Wine & Dine two weeks later.

The first leg of the relay is only 1.7 miles longer than the 5K (4.8 as opposed to 3.1) so I don't think it will be a problem at all.

I dont think you will have any trouble as long as you continue to run until then. When you say run it with her, do you mean both of you do the half or you do the relay?

What is the Sports Expo like? How long should it take to see what's there and pick up t-shirt, etc. for the 5K?

Thanks for any reply!
pirate::cool1:

pirate:

What is the Sports Expo like? How long should it take to see what's there and pick up t-shirt, etc. for the 5K?

Thanks for any reply!
pirate::cool1:

pirate:

There are vendors and representatives from other races mostly. Disney also haas some merchandise. I like to take my time and enjoy the expo and it ends up taking about 90 minutes in addition to the packet pickup. How long that takes depends on when you go.

There is also a speaker series but I don't really attend those.

Can anyone tell me how the swap area was set up? Was it possible for one to be there with kids waiting for their turn and then the first runner take over watching the kids?

Can anyone tell me how the swap area was set up? Was it possible for one to be there with kids waiting for their turn and then the first runner take over watching the kids?

If I recall correctly, the only bussed the leg 2 runners to the AK parking lot swap area, no spectators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter