Official 2011 Wine & Dine Half and Relay Thread

A very slightly dissenting voice on the TM. I do 2 of 3 runs on the TM--my LR is always outdoors. I do not adjust the TM incline at all. I use it for my speedwork and tempo runs (helps me keep paces I am targeting). I have pretty much been doing this since I started running and have managed to do reasonably well.

So don't stress out too much if you have to do some TM workouts. I have found that they are mentally tougher to get through--and ind a perverse way, that is good, since half of running is a mental challenge anyway.

Maura

Thanks for the insight on the TM.

The issue isn't so much the weather, it's time and logistics. I am only able to run 75% of the time at night after the kids are asleep. Where we live is not conducive to outdoor running at all, especially not with a jogging stroller and 2 kids. To get somewhere like that, I'd need to drive at least 30 minutes each way. Right now, I can't fit that in, so I sneak off to the gym when DH puts the kids to bed and get my runs in then.

Hotel and plane are booked. And my running partner "won" a roundtrip chauffeur car ride to either Detroit or O'hare at an auction (we live between both airports) so now I just need the relay to open up so we can sign up!

My Princess partner just asked me if I wanted to do the relay with her. I said yes. That means I must begin to stop trying to avoid running in the heat and humidity here in FL.

Well, I was set to do the relay, but my SIL wants to run the entire HM, so it looks like that is what I am doing, too.

I am terrified, lol. I have my training plan all worked out. Is anyone doing a lot of treadmill training? I realize it isn't the best option, but outdoor running isn't really an option for me night now.

You will do great:) Last year's W & D was my first Half..I walked it...finished in 2:56....it was a great accomplisment for me to cross that finish line...and I had not trained for a long time...my fault....
As far as the TM training...I have done alot of it.....from Nov to Jan for the WDW Half....I did a run/walk and finished in 2:33.....yes I would have preferred to train outdoors...after doing a 5K in the snow..not worth getting injured in my opinion.
I consider myself a novice...but just wanted to share my experience;)

You will do great:) Last year's W & D was my first Half..I walked it...finished in 2:56....it was a great accomplisment for me to cross that finish line...and I had not trained for a long time...my fault....
As far as the TM training...I have done alot of it.....from Nov to Jan for the WDW Half....I did a run/walk and finished in 2:33.....yes I would have preferred to train outdoors...after doing a 5K in the snow..not worth getting injured in my opinion.
I consider myself a novice...but just wanted to share my experience;)

2:56!!!!!??????? That is a ridiculously fast walk pace! Good for you!

Started Week #3 of training, I am excited to see how I progress considering I have never run before, lol. The weather is warming up here, finally, so I will take my program outside as soon as I can, which kind of terrifies me. The treadmill is a safety blanket for me, not sure why.

Anyway... Officially booked at the Boardwalk Villas and am super excited. Just keep running! Just Keep Running!:mickeyjum

Signed up at the Expo over the weekend. Waiting for the confirmation email from runDisney.

So my DH agreed to run the 1/2 with me; he's the runner in the family! So he's pleased that I'm game. The destination has a little to do with it. Our kids would love to come - they'll be 4 and 6 at the time of the race. They don't know about it yet. Can't figure out how to do it if we both run, though. Do they let spectators come onto the course to cheer? Do you have to have park tickets if in the park? I figure they'd be maybe up to it at the beginning, certainly not too late. They go to bed at 9, even 8:30 normally. We are going on a scheduled vacation to WDW in Nov, so it won't be too long till they are in the Disney driver's seat. What do you think? Maybe get my parents to come with us? Leave the kids at home w/them? Bring the kids and have a friend who lives in Kissimmee stay with them that night?

Thanks, oh wise ones!

So my DH agreed to run the 1/2 with me; he's the runner in the family! So he's pleased that I'm game. The destination has a little to do with it. Our kids would love to come - they'll be 4 and 6 at the time of the race. They don't know about it yet. Can't figure out how to do it if we both run, though. Do they let spectators come onto the course to cheer? Do you have to have park tickets if in the park? I figure they'd be maybe up to it at the beginning, certainly not too late. They go to bed at 9, even 8:30 normally. We are going on a scheduled vacation to WDW in Nov, so it won't be too long till they are in the Disney driver's seat. What do you think? Maybe get my parents to come with us? Leave the kids at home w/them? Bring the kids and have a friend who lives in Kissimmee stay with them that night?

Thanks, oh wise ones!

There are no spectators in the parks during this race. I haven't seen the new course yet but last year and I assume this year you went through AK and DHS after the parks were closed and the guests were evacuated. To get into Epcot for the after party they will require a party ticket.

Since you are going again in November I'd say leave the kids with your parents at home. They'll be down there a month later anyway and then you can enjoy the race and party without worrying about them or their bed time. You can also stay until 3 and enjoy what you have earned.

I got myself booked for BWV for the weekend. I'm so excited about it. I called and booked on Tuesday and I was able to get in 9/29, and 10/1-10/2 and I had to wait list 9/30. Yesterday I got the email from DVC confirming 9/29-10/2 (checking out 10/3)!

Just popping in to say I've registered for the 2011 W&D Half. Ran it last year and LOVED the race...the party, not so much. Here's hoping that Disney's tweaks on the event will remedy that.

Now for the training...

I would be happy with any type of medalion to show I succeded , rubberish or not! :thumbsup2 On a different note, I just started training and my goal is the Half Marathon. I can do 5k right now so I am real hopefull I get to do this race.

Are you signed up to do this race? I noticed that you are in Jeff City...I'm in Columbia, and am considering doing the 1/2 or the relay possibly. I just got back from the Princess 1/2 and am hooked on Disney races now.

For all of you who did the race last year? Is there any on course entertainment? lights for the evening run?

I signed up yesterday and I'm super excited to run it again and improve my time significantly! I'm shooting for 10-20 min better. I figure with all the PT I'll be doing this year - compared to the little-to-none I did last year in Djibouti - I'll be fine. :) Now to book the Dolphin....

For all of you who did the race last year? Is there any on course entertainment? lights for the evening run?

Yes, there is on-course entertainment, from characters, bands, and of course, the awesome cast members cheering you on. You even get put on the screen at "Lights, Motor, Action!" in DHS. :)

Are you signed up to do this race? I noticed that you are in Jeff City...I'm in Columbia, and am considering doing the 1/2 or the relay possibly. I just got back from the Princess 1/2 and am hooked on Disney races now.
Sweet! Yup i'm in Jefferson city, I signed up last week I think for the half!

I have a question for anyone on here that ran Wine & Dine last year and did not stay at a host hotel...we're thinking of staying at the Caribbean Beach and just taking a taxi to the nearest host resort that evening and catching a bus from there. I'm thinking OKW looks to be pretty close. From reading the course description and looking at some maps, I'm thinking this would be an OK plan since it doesn't seem like the race will run in the area of the CBR or OKW so I'm thinking road closures won't be an issue. Can anyone comment on this plan or think of any obstacles I'm missing? Am I totally wrong about the road closures? I figured we would just cab it back to CBR after the race after party...shouldn't have any trouble with that either, hopefully :confused3

If this plan won't work, I think we'll just pick an All-Star. I wish something other than POR was offered for moderate level...stayed there once and didn't really care for it.

Thanks for any input!

I have a question for anyone on here that ran Wine & Dine last year and did not stay at a host hotel...we're thinking of staying at the Caribbean Beach and just taking a taxi to the nearest host resort that evening and catching a bus from there. I'm thinking OKW looks to be pretty close. From reading the course description and looking at some maps, I'm thinking this would be an OK plan since it doesn't seem like the race will run in the area of the CBR or OKW so I'm thinking road closures won't be an issue. Can anyone comment on this plan or think of any obstacles I'm missing? Am I totally wrong about the road closures? I figured we would just cab it back to CBR after the race after party...shouldn't have any trouble with that either, hopefully :confused3

If this plan won't work, I think we'll just pick an All-Star. I wish something other than POR was offered for moderate level...stayed there once and didn't really care for it.

Thanks for any input!

Obviously a host resort is easier but let me offer this...

From the CBR take the regular Epcot bus to Epcot. You will need to be on your way to the WWoS well before the Epcot bus stops. From there look around in the parking lot and you will see where event busses are picking up runners. If I remember correctly, it is over in the staging area for the Princess. The last bus will most likely be in the 7 pm range (could be off a bit)

On your way home, leave out of the International Gate and walk to one of the Epcot resorts. It will be much easier to hail a cab from the resort than the front of Epcot.

Go for it.

Obviously a host resort is easier but let me offer this...

From the CBR take the regular Epcot bus to Epcot. You will need to be on your way to the WWoS well before the Epcot bus stops. From there look around in the parking lot and you will see where event busses are picking up runners. If I remember correctly, it is over in the staging area for the Princess. The last bus will most likely be in the 7 pm range (could be off a bit)

On your way home, leave out of the International Gate and walk to one of the Epcot resorts. It will be much easier to hail a cab from the resort than the front of Epcot.

Go for it.

Sounds like a good option...I didn't know there would be busses at Epcot taking runners to WWOS...thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter