Official 2011 Wine & Dine Half and Relay Thread

does anyone remember what the weather was like at the start last year? i'm in the northeast, so it's hard to justify leave prime racing season to fly down to florida for a race that is (most likely) going to be hot. but the after-party seems so fun! sigh.

It was about 75 degrees and humid.

The after party was not fun at all, but that is one of the things they are hoping to fix.

It was about 75 degrees and humid.

The after party was not fun at all, but that is one of the things they are hoping to fix.

yeah, that weather sounds a bit scary...especially since by that point in the year, i am so sick of the summer heat. i'm not really worried about not finishing but i don't think i'll get the time i'd like to in those conditions.

i'll probably wait and see how it goes this year, if the after party still is a mess, then forget it. besides in 2012 i might be in the market for a bachlorette party idea in that time frame next year...hmm.

thanks for the tips!

Has anyone had trouble w/the registration? I click on the link on the rundisney page and it gives me an error message.

Not that I'm ready to commit, but my DH said he'd do it with me. I'm also a virgin runner. Just started in Dec on the c25k plan; almost done with that. There will be more than enough time to complete Galloway's program for this race. I am just afraid to commit b/c I'm not "a runner!":goodvibes

I was just wondering if anyone has already signed up for the half? This will be my first marathon (just started running last week), and I am about to sign up for it but am a little hesitant. Scared actually but I just need to make the jump and do it!

If it helps, I, also, just started running last week and plan on doing the 1/2 marathon. I think there are a lot of brand new newbie runners:woohoo: You can do it:thumbsup2

If it helps, I, also, just started running last week and plan on doing the 1/2 marathon. I think there are a lot of brand new newbie runners:woohoo: You can do it:thumbsup2

I started running on March 12, 2010, and ran Wine & Dine last year.

Thank you, If all else I am sure at the rate I am going I can finish it, I have just never participated in any form of group sports or a competition before.

On a different note, I did have a really good run today my best and furthest yet. 3.71miles in 00:30:04 :cool1:

does anyone remember what the weather was like at the start last year? i'm in the northeast, so it's hard to justify leave prime racing season to fly down to florida for a race that is (most likely) going to be hot. but the after-party seems so fun! sigh.

According to weather.com it was 85 (but felt like 88) and the humidity was 74%. I trained up north and the weather did cost me time. I spoke to the female overall winner and she lost about 3 minutes so it will effect everyone from rookies to the winners.

According to weather.com it was 85 (but felt like 88) and the humidity was 74%. I trained up north and the weather did cost me time. I spoke to the female overall winner and she lost about 3 minutes so it will effect everyone from rookies to the winners.

Wow! Was it really that hot for us last year?! I remember it was hot, but that's crazy. No wonder I got nauseaus after the race! Ha. This makes me feel better though as that race was my fastest half time at 2:33. And I'm hoping to beat it this Sunday at the Princess. It will be warm but not like that!

Question about the 5K... I've read they aren't strict with the pacing, but how long can you take? I'm thinking of walking it all or mostly and stopping for lots of pictures. I just want to have fun and get the medal! Think an hour is too long? That's almost 20 min/mile. :rotfl:

Question about the 5K... I've read they aren't strict with the pacing, but how long can you take? I'm thinking of walking it all or mostly and stopping for lots of pictures. I just want to have fun and get the medal! Think an hour is too long? That's almost 20 min/mile. :rotfl:

I did the 5K in sandals and a toga last year. It took me about an hour to walk it and there were still plenty of people behind me.

Woohoo sandals and a toga!! Sounds like lots of people take their time with it, awesome. Thanks Todd!

Liz-

You should talk to Joe and Deb about this. They ran/walked the 5K last year and took around an hour to finish, but there were lots of people coming in behind them. I think so long as you keep moving, you'll be fine. It's a Fun Run and Disney knows that, so they cut a lot of slack for this race. Of course, if they change the route and this interferes with park hours and transportation, things might change in 2011. My plan is to do exactly what you're planning to do. Take my time, save myself for the half that night, take lots of pics, especially with characters. You should be fine!

The 5k sounds really fun, but I don't know if I can get up that early and be up late for the race that night. Will also depend if we bring DD or leave her with the grandparents this trip.

I asked off from work for race weekend, and got a "look" and way-too-early-to-tell response from my boss. When I told DH, he was like "Don't they know we've started training?!" Yes, honey, my boss cares about our running. :rolleyes: I think it will be fine with work, just annoying that they probably won't officially okay it for a few more months.

:worship::worship:

wow! you are my new hero!

:goodvibes Thank you I am my own hero as well!

So I signed up last night, wasnt as painfull as I thought it would be. got hotel reservations done now all I need is a airline ticket and for the day to get here!!

Liz-

You should talk to Joe and Deb about this. They ran/walked the 5K last year and took around an hour to finish, but there were lots of people coming in behind them. I think so long as you keep moving, you'll be fine. It's a Fun Run and Disney knows that, so they cut a lot of slack for this race. Of course, if they change the route and this interferes with park hours and transportation, things might change in 2011. My plan is to do exactly what you're planning to do. Take my time, save myself for the half that night, take lots of pics, especially with characters. You should be fine!

That's right, I forgot they did it. Thanks Renee!

Well, I was set to do the relay, but my SIL wants to run the entire HM, so it looks like that is what I am doing, too.

I am terrified, lol. I have my training plan all worked out. Is anyone doing a lot of treadmill training? I realize it isn't the best option, but outdoor running isn't really an option for me night now.

Well, I was set to do the relay, but my SIL wants to run the entire HM, so it looks like that is what I am doing, too.

I am terrified, lol. I have my training plan all worked out. Is anyone doing a lot of treadmill training? I realize it isn't the best option, but outdoor running isn't really an option for me night now.

Just make sure the treadmill's set at at least a 1% incline. :D

I would try to get outside as soon as the weather allows. The treadmill has it's place but if you are training for a race you really want to do most of the training on the road. You use the muscles in the legs in different way when you are on the treadmill.

Definitely set the incline to at least 1 but I would do at least 2. Don't worry though, the race is in the fall so you will have the whole summer to train.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter