Official 2011 Princess Half Marathon Thread - Link to new thread Post 3703!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just be aware that you'll need to bring and carry your own as from what I understand Disney provides Clif product on course. I don't know if it's the gels or what, but it's something to be aware of.

At the Wine and Dine half, it was Shot Blocks. They are my personal favorite, so I was happy as a clam, but I know everyone's preferences are different. WDW also uses Powerade, not Gatorade, in case you were wondering.

At the Wine and Dine half, it was Shot Blocks. They are my personal favorite, so I was happy as a clam, but I know everyone's preferences are different. WDW also uses Powerade, not Gatorade, in case you were wondering.

Yeah, the powerade I knew. I'll likely carry my own gel since the Shot Blocks remind me of Whoppers which make me gag.

So, where is the best place for a grown woman to purchase her tutu for the race? Getting prepared . . . DD's coach said I may know about the competition schedule for February this week! Praying it's not during Princess Weekend! I REALLY want to do this one!

Etsy has some really cute ones, most are under $30. I would post a link to etsy dot com, but I apparently don't have enough posts to put in links.... Just search for adult tutu.

I've bought a pair of fairy wings and will be making my own tutu. Not sure if I want to do a tiara... We shall see.

I've had a really hard time fitting in my weekday runs now that I've added 10 hours of classes (only 8 credit hours :sad1:) to my 40 hour work week. I'm just going to have to 'buck up' and get up at 4am to run. My longest run since my 10K on labor day has been 4 miles. It's a good thing I've already signed up and paid for this race or else I'd totally lose my motivation.

Long time, no post! I've been so busy with work that I just haven't had time to keep up with the thread, and working out, and SparkPeople. I wish I had another me to split all the little tasks among.

If I had another me, I'd make sure that one of us got all the aches and pains and the other was injury-free. I'm so frustrated right now. I haven't been able to run since October 2. I did a 5k that day (cold and rainy, but flat and uneventful), and ever since, I've been having issues with my ankle. I seem to have tendonitis in my left ankle. It got progressively worse until Thursday, when I figured out why my ankle hurt and actually decided to do something about it. So, other than a Pilates class (which was easily adaptable) and walking to get into work and around the grocery store and my house, I haven't done much since then other than ice and elevate while sitting on my butt and watching TV. Despite the fact that a weekend watching TV would have sounded like heaven a year ago, all I wanted to do was run.

Yesterday night, I actually felt good enough that I was considering short run-walk intervals for ten minutes after work tonight. This morning the walk into work almost made me cry. This past weekend was supposed to be the week I ran 6.5 miles, which is almost halfway to half marathon distance. It's the first weekend I haven't run at all since at least July. I know that I have to keep off my ankle and let it heal, but this interruption in my training almost feels worse than the tendonitis itself.

I understand perfectly, Jen! This stress fracture has freaked me out. It's done more damage to my psyche I think than my leg! But I keep focusing on the long term. I know if I disregard what my body is telling me and what my dr. tells me to do, there is absolutely no chance for me to participate in the upcoming Princess Half. Even doing what I should, there's no guarantee I'll be able to, but at least I give myself a chance!

Hang in there and know you're not alone on that couch with the ice pack!

They are my fuel of choice as well....but make no mistake, they are not food. At the W and D Half, I saw the sign for "food" and blocks were it. I was bummed because I was carrying my own already. Plus the blocks are supposed to be followed by water, and there was none. Another reason people may have felt sick...

Count me in!!!!

Except....I have no idea what I am doing. :eek:

I will be 36 years old, and I've never been athletic. Also, I really need to lose 40-60 pounds.

I've been running on the treadmill this past week, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I've been doing 30+ minutes. I'm up to alternating 3 minutes of jogging at 4 mph and 1 minute of walking at 3.8mph. Although sweating buckets, I am not winded, sore or overly tired. DBF and I have been building a rec room for the past 6 months and I think that might be what has increased my fitness level.

Can anyone recommend some resources for beginners? I am hearing that people are reading Marathoning for Mortals. Is that a good start?

Still here, progressing, and going strong!:cool1:

Down about 10 pounds. Sat out most of August due to a nasty chest cold and ankle injury. Marathoning for Mortals read.

I've been running outside, when I can, and just increased to 3.2 mile runs between 4.5-4.9 mph with no walking. I did an 8k trail run last month and finished in 1:04:50.

My concerns: I'm running at a pace that allows me to get out a sentence or two comfortably, but my HRM is reading around 170, and after a really big hill, I've hit 191. According to what I read, that doesn't seem possible. I'll be talking to the dr about it at my checkup next month. Also, I'm totally confused by all the different fuels out there. I guess I'll figure it out as I head into long runs.

My outdoor running will be coming to an end quickly, as we head into winter/snow/ice. I'm hoping to do my long runs on an indoor track.

Most importantly, I registered for the princess yesterday. BLT reserved for the weekend :cheer2:

Commence excited panic attack: I just signed up with Team in Training!!! Thank you so much to the PP who suggested it. (Sorry, I can't remember who it was.) I've never run a race before. I've never finished a C25K before. But you know what...I'm going to do this. Because I NEED to. I once read a piece of advice about running; it was to sign up for a race that is far away so I have a financial commitment to it. I guess I really did that. Aaaggghhhh, I'm going to run a half marathon. In Disney World!!!!!! Thank you to everyone here for your inspiration. I'm so excited!!!:banana::banana::banana:

Commence excited panic attack: I just signed up with Team in Training!!! Thank you so much to the PP who suggested it. (Sorry, I can't remember who it was.) I've never run a race before. I've never finished a C25K before. But you know what...I'm going to do this. Because I NEED to. I once read a piece of advice about running; it was to sign up for a race that is far away so I have a financial commitment to it. I guess I really did that. Aaaggghhhh, I'm going to run a half marathon. In Disney World!!!!!! Thank you to everyone here for your inspiration. I'm so excited!!!:banana::banana::banana:

Congratulations! Exciting and scary at the same time, right??? :thumbsup2

congrats! Will you be doing this with Virtual TNT or with a local chapter. A friend is going to be mentoring for virtual TNT. Let me know if you need any fundraising tips!

My concerns: I'm running at a pace that allows me to get out a sentence or two comfortably, but my HRM is reading around 170, and after a really big hill, I've hit 191. According to what I read, that doesn't seem possible. I'll be talking to the dr about it at my checkup next month. Also, I'm totally confused by all the different fuels out there. I guess I'll figure it out as I head into long runs.

My outdoor running will be coming to an end quickly, as we head into winter/snow/ice. I'm hoping to do my long runs on an indoor track.

Most importantly, I registered for the princess yesterday. BLT reserved for the weekend :cheer2:

Congratulations on the 10 lb loss!!! That's awesome. Yay! You signed up for the race. Running Disney is going to be great!

You mentioned confusion about all the different fuels out there. Basically, it's trial and error to find the one kind that you (and your body) can handle and gives you the proper fuels to keep you running without fizzling out. I personally LOVE Gu's (but only 2 flavors) and Muscle Milk...but my husband likes Accel Gel. So, just try out some on some of your long runs and see what you like. You may end up just eating fig Newtons or Skittles instead of any packaged gel.

Etsy has some really cute ones, most are under $30. I would post a link to etsy dot com, but I apparently don't have enough posts to put in links.... Just search for adult tutu.

I've bought a pair of fairy wings and will be making my own tutu. Not sure if I want to do a tiara... We shall see.

Costume stores are good places too. That's where my wife got both of us our tutus, tiaras, wigs, and wands to wear during the DLR half marathon last month. :)

Down about 10 pounds. Sat out most of August due to a nasty chest cold and ankle injury. Marathoning for Mortals read.

I've been running outside, when I can, and just increased to 3.2 mile runs between 4.5-4.9 mph with no walking. I did an 8k trail run last month and finished in 1:04:50.

Congrats on the 10lbs and signing up for the race!

I haven't run a long race in 10 years, so no great advice..... take it for what its worth...... My first 1/2 was here in hilly Atlanta. When I was training with my galloway group and the uphills were too much or overtiring, we just slowed down our pace to get to the top of the hill....not necessarily walking during a run interal, but just slowing down to be able to breathe. Also shorter strides help...though sometimes I felt like Tim Conway in that little old man sketch from the Carol Burnett show....now I am aging myself. I am not sure if you were saying that the hills were harder or if your hr monitor seemed wrong how you felt...

I just started back running again, just completed the c25k and start training for the princess tomorrow officially following Galloway's plan on the Princess 1/2 site.

Anyhoo.....way to go on your running!

congrats! Will you be doing this with Virtual TNT or with a local chapter. A friend is going to be mentoring for virtual TNT. Let me know if you need any fundraising tips!
To me, the fundraising is the scary part!
Costume stores are good places too. That's where my wife got both of us our tutus, tiaras, wigs, and wands to wear during the DLR half marathon last month. :)

Umm...post some pics, please.

oneleg-1.jpg

Here is me in a Tutu I was selling for a breast cancer fund raiser.

I haven't quite decided yet. The meeting with the local group is the 27th. I will see how many events I can make. I prefer to do the local group instead of the virtual one.

I have a half in 2 weeks and then I will start thinking about the Princess.

Good luck with the last few weeks and with your HM. Can't wait to hear about it.

I really like the SPorts Beans and I would pop a few in my moth at the same time. I tried Chomps early on in training and HATED THEM! You are so right as they are so big and takes forever to eat them. Its GU and Sports beans for me!

I have the sport beans for my next long run and am looking forward to trying them. The chomps look huge, so I can imagine how long it would take to chew them.

GREAT JOB! Way to shave 5 minutes off your time.

Thanks! I was pretty excited about the improvement. It is hard, though, to not let yourself get too caught up in race adrenaline. I tried so hard to keep to my training, but still ran for too long and a little too fast at the start. I have to got to keep working on that, I suppose.

Jenelope and MamaCrush-- I hope your injuries heal up quickly! I can only imagine how frustrating it must feel. I felt like I was slacking when I took a 4 day break bc of my plantar fascitis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter