• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2011 Princess Half Marathon Thread - Link to new thread Post 3703!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder, if you're coming into MCO on 2/25, your 180 day ADR reservations can be made as of yesterday!

Yup- we made an ADR for 1900 PF. Since DD4 is coming along and is all about the princesses, figured this would be a good celebration. That, and I figure I will be hungry enough by then for a buffet :rotfl:

And great job on 100 miles in August-- that's a lot of running!

This coming Sat. (Sept. 4th) I am running (and walking) my first 5k. I am so excited and nervous I can hardly stand it. Since I am like this for a 5k - I can't imagine what I will be like for the Princess half.

My Sat. run was horrible and coming on here and reading about everyone's amazing runs made it even harder. I am excited for all of you, but boy did I struggle. When I got home I just started sobbing and had visions of the course being picked up for my 5k and not knowing where to go. :rotfl: I even called the race organizers and asked if there was a required pace because I am so slow. They assured me that there would be casual walkers and I should be fine.

Thanks for all your advice and encouragement. When I started on June 2nd, I couldn't run for a minute without thinking I was going to die! I have learned so much from all of you and can't wait to learn more over the next 6 months!

Merci

Good luck with the 5K. I had a horrible run this weekend as well. I think good days and bad days come to everyone and the hard part is as much mental as it is physical. And know that since you just had a bad run, the next one is bound to be good :)

great work everyone! we are all SO doing this!! :cool1:

really proud of myself for getting up at 5:15 this morning and running 4 miles! the plan said to run 3.5 but i wound up doing 4 in 42.5 minutes. woot woot!

thing i didn't like? running in the dark. i was on the main ave but it was still a little creepy - i was very happy whenever a bus came by and even more thrilled once the sun came out.

updated my blog too: tiarathon.blogspot.com :)

This is my dilemma (sp?) during the week. I get up at 4:30 to go work out at 5 and I am too freaked out to run outdoors that early in the morning. It's so empty and we live in a relatively new neighboorhood and there just doesn't seem like a lot of traffic. So, I am doing my short runs on the treadmill at the gym. And it's starting to get really boring.

I think I am going to have to take myself to the doctor tomorrow. My right arm and shoulder has been intermittently going numb. Now it's starting to feel like my arm strength is less, although part of that could be I think I lifted too heavy of a weight this morning and my entire forearm is sore. But I freaked out because I was at the bookstore and my face started to feel all tingly. The problem is that I am medical, so whenever anything happens, I think it's bad. The facial tingling is gone, and I would have ignored the arm/shoulder stuff but I told DH about it and now he's harping on making sure I see a doctor tomorrow. Send good thoughts please :)

This is my dilemma (sp?) during the week. I get up at 4:30 to go work out at 5 and I am too freaked out to run outdoors that early in the morning. It's so empty and we live in a relatively new neighboorhood and there just doesn't seem like a lot of traffic. So, I am doing my short runs on the treadmill at the gym. And it's starting to get really boring.

I think I am going to have to take myself to the doctor tomorrow. My right arm and shoulder has been intermittently going numb. Now it's starting to feel like my arm strength is less, although part of that could be I think I lifted too heavy of a weight this morning and my entire forearm is sore. But I freaked out because I was at the bookstore and my face started to feel all tingly. The problem is that I am medical, so whenever anything happens, I think it's bad. The facial tingling is gone, and I would have ignored the arm/shoulder stuff but I told DH about it and now he's harping on making sure I see a doctor tomorrow. Send good thoughts please :)

That's the same problem I have about early morning runs. I'm scared to death to be out and about when it's still not quite daylight. Not to mention the lack of people (or the crazy driving of the people who ARE out).

I'm sorry about your arm and face! Hopefully it's nothing. Maybe a pinched nerve or Bell's Palsy (both of which aren't serious)? Unfortunately, the face and arm thing is how my first MS episode started for me, so it's definitely best to go and get checked out just in case. :hug: Good luck at the doctor - and I hope it's something they can pinpoint easily without 100 more tests. (Or maybe it's just MY doctor that is overly fond of tests :rotfl: ).

That's the same problem I have about early morning runs. I'm scared to death to be out and about when it's still not quite daylight. Not to mention the lack of people (or the crazy driving of the people who ARE out).

I'm sorry about your arm and face! Hopefully it's nothing. Maybe a pinched nerve or Bell's Palsy (both of which aren't serious)? Unfortunately, the face and arm thing is how my first MS episode started for me, so it's definitely best to go and get checked out just in case. :hug: Good luck at the doctor - and I hope it's something they can pinpoint easily without 100 more tests. (Or maybe it's just MY doctor that is overly fond of tests :rotfl: ).

Thanks. I am thinking it's a pinched nerve. DH gave me a back massage this evening, and everytime he hit this one spot, I felt the same tingly feeling down my arm. I have no idea what's with the face though. And with the testing-- nope, pretty much all of us do it. I think it's a way to make us feel like we are smart or something :rotfl:

Lifting & resulting numness. Sounds like you went one weight too heavy or rep too long and form suffered a bit. Obviously, with your massage and feeling a spot, it is a tweak of something in the upper neck. Take it easy for a few days on the lifting.

Ladies, let me tell you a story. But first my PSA. You need a reflective belt or vest and a flashing light or two if you are running pre-dawn and will be in the street or crossing a street. Also an ID is essential. If you cannot speak for yourself, you need something that will.

PSA over. Now - I was running a couple February ago on a business trip. I had just purchased a replacement Road ID for Christmas and brought it on the trip. I left my hotel room and got to the elevator early one morning. As the bell dinged I noticed I had left the ID in the room. A quick thought and a hand pushed me back to the room. I put the ID on and then hit the street. Normally I run road but for some reason I ran the sidewalk in the south FL community that morning. The side walk curved in and out of a few trees and bushes so I lost track of traffic, what little there was. I came upon in intersection that I planned to cross. The light was green in my direction and had red lights for left tunes. As I entered the intersection I heard an engine roar and all of a sudden a Mustang convertible was on a collision course with yours truly. I somehow was able to pull out of his way (I think the guiding hand again) but not far enough so that the mirror caught my thigh. It spun me in a circle and I fell off to the ground. I was trying to look to see where the Mustang was heading when I realized there was a headlight and bumper onto of me. Fortunately it was stopped. The driver if the second car popped out in a panic to assist. I stood up and made a quick triage of what was going on. The lady was freaking out and wanting to call an ambulance. All I wanted was to get to the hotel before shock kicked in. The second driver said at least 20 times that all she saw was a flash of light and stopped as fast as she could. She had no idea what I was. It took a few moments to realize that my RoadID had just saved my life. I could not believe it. The sad thing about the morning was that the Mustang took off in a panic once I stood up and started to move around.

A few notes… one do not do like I did. Take the ride to the hospital. I knew that I was ok and I knew no vital organs were in danger. One big honking contusion went from my hip down through my mid thigh. Nothing else ever came of it physically. My thought process went along the path of in my hotel; the conference room next to ours was a meeting of S Fl emergency room doctors. Really not a great reason to take the ride.
Never take a ride from a person who was involved or almost involved with the accident. My driver went into some level of shock about half way to the hotel. I asked her if she needed me to drive. I was honestly worried about driving into the Gulf. She was so bad that she dropped me three hotels short of mine. Even saying here we are at the Marriott when in fact we were in front of the Hilton. Yikes. I thanked her and walked in until she cleared the drive then walked to my hotel.
Never leave the scene of an accident. Since I was on company business, I thought I may need a police report if things went south. I called the PD to report to hit and run. Long story short, the deck officer started to grill me about why I left the scene, leaving me with the impression that I would possibly face charged for leaving the scene. I did not get the police report and all is well today.

I do not believe a flashing light or reflective belt would have prevented the first contact but would have kept the second car further away. Think about it the next time you make a left turn and are in a hurry to avoid oncoming traffic. Frankly I had to stop mid oncoming traffic lanes a couple months after my incident when I saw a runner enter the intersection after I started my turn.

I am so happy and excited to share with everyone about my personal best so far. I did my workout at 4:30 theis morning...the plan called for a 40 min workout. If you recalled I have mentioned the horrible change of the 2:2 (that was tourture.) So I decided instead of following the plan of 3 min walk / 1 min run. I did 3:2 (3 min walk / 2 min run) I didn't feel nearlyt as tired, I think the extra min of recovery walking helped.

Anyways in 40 min. I completed 3.6 miles wit ha a pace of 11:07............YAY! I was only looking to get down to a 12min a mile, but that just made my day :)

Fantastic!:woohoo:

I agree with your DH about getting to the doc. At least for peace of mind that is it nothing. :hug:

PSA over. Now - I was running a couple February ago on a business trip. I had just purchased a replacement Road ID for Christmas and brought it on the trip. I left my hotel room and got to the elevator early one morning. As the bell dinged I noticed I had left the ID in the room. A quick thought and a hand pushed me back to the room. I put the ID on and then hit the street. Normally I run road but for some reason I ran the sidewalk in the south FL community that morning. The side walk curved in and out of a few trees and bushes so I lost track of traffic, what little there was. I came upon in intersection that I planned to cross. The light was green in my direction and had red lights for left tunes. As I entered the intersection I heard an engine roar and all of a sudden a Mustang convertible was on a collision course with yours truly. I somehow was able to pull out of his way (I think the guiding hand again) but not far enough so that the mirror caught my thigh. It spun me in a circle and I fell off to the ground. I was trying to look to see where the Mustang was heading when I realized there was a headlight and bumper onto of me. Fortunately it was stopped. The driver if the second car popped out in a panic to assist. I stood up and made a quick triage of what was going on. The lady was freaking out and wanting to call an ambulance. All I wanted was to get to the hotel before shock kicked in. The second driver said at least 20 times that all she saw was a flash of light and stopped as fast as she could. She had no idea what I was. It took a few moments to realize that my RoadID had just saved my life. I could not believe it. The sad thing about the morning was that the Mustang took off in a panic once I stood up and started to move around.

A few notes… one do not do like I did. Take the ride to the hospital. I knew that I was ok and I knew no vital organs were in danger. One big honking contusion went from my hip down through my mid thigh. Nothing else ever came of it physically. My thought process went along the path of in my hotel; the conference room next to ours was a meeting of S Fl emergency room doctors. Really not a great reason to take the ride.
Never take a ride from a person who was involved or almost involved with the accident. My driver went into some level of shock about half way to the hotel. I asked her if she needed me to drive. I was honestly worried about driving into the Gulf. She was so bad that she dropped me three hotels short of mine. Even saying here we are at the Marriott when in fact we were in front of the Hilton. Yikes. I thanked her and walked in until she cleared the drive then walked to my hotel.
Never leave the scene of an accident. Since I was on company business, I thought I may need a police report if things went south. I called the PD to report to hit and run. Long story short, the deck officer started to grill me about why I left the scene, leaving me with the impression that I would possibly face charged for leaving the scene. I did not get the police report and all is well today.

I do not believe a flashing light or reflective belt would have prevented the first contact but would have kept the second car further away. Think about it the next time you make a left turn and are in a hurry to avoid oncoming traffic. Frankly I had to stop mid oncoming traffic lanes a couple months after my incident when I saw a runner enter the intersection after I started my turn.

WOW, I am so glad you were not hurt. I am with the other ladies, I don't run early morning in the dark, I am to chicken. :rotfl2:

coach, that is a really scary story! you are really lucky that something worse didn't happen!

where can i get a road ID? the flashing light? i don't plan on running too much in the dark but as the miles increase, i'll have to start earlier which may mean a darker start.

i wouldn't mind just running in my neighborhood but it's too small to really get any mileage in. and i'm sure it'd be fine to regularly run around where i am but it just makes me a little nervous. maritime college is where i normally run but it's closed to the public at dark. maybe i can talk to the security guy about letting me run in the a.m. when it's dark - he sees me practically everyday!

coach, that is a really scary story! You are really lucky that something worse didn't happen!

Where can i get a road id? The flashing light? I don't plan on running too much in the dark but as the miles increase, i'll have to start earlier which may mean a darker start.

I wouldn't mind just running in my neighborhood but it's too small to really get any mileage in. And i'm sure it'd be fine to regularly run around where i am but it just makes me a little nervous. Maritime college is where i normally run but it's closed to the public at dark. Maybe i can talk to the security guy about letting me run in the a.m. When it's dark - he sees me practically everyday!

roadid.com

I really like the Road ID bracelets. I have one (although not with the reflective strip) and I always feel better when I'm wearing it. I even bought it in pink when I first started getting out on the road, in honor of the Princess Half since that was my ultimate goal. (And I'm not usually a 'pink' person! :) )

Coach - I had read your story before and it still makes me nervous. I was thinking about it the other week (on a bright Saturday morning) when a lady pushed me into a mailbox as I was coming down a residential street. I was over on the shoulder and she looked me in the eye and STILL veered toward me. I had a nice side bruise from that one too. You just never know when it'll happen. I'm so glad yours had a relatively happy ending!

RoadID is great. I have a purple one. No reflector, but I'm going to buy a vest in a few weeks when it starts getting real dark.

I I was thinking about it the other week (on a bright Saturday morning) when a lady pushed me into a mailbox as I was coming down a residential street. I was over on the shoulder and she looked me in the eye and STILL veered toward me. I had a nice side bruise from that one too. You just never know when it'll happen. I'm so glad yours had a relatively happy ending!

OMG, WOW, how could someone do that. If it happens again, get the plate and report her to the police as road rage.

I do early morning runs but at the high school track. The only thing we have to worry abot is the bears!
Going to order a road id though- not a bad thing tohave on/

I do early morning runs but at the high school track. The only thing we have to worry abot is the bears!
Going to order a road id though- not a bad thing tohave on/

Always wear mine - when out running, cycling, etc. Even in races.

Also, all newer ID's are reflective... the stitching contains the reflective material

Always wear mine - when out running, cycling, etc. Even in races.

Also, all newer ID's are reflective... the stitching contains the reflective material

Dumb Question Alert......:confused3
Why would I need to wear this other than running late or very early?
I do carry my cell phone? Is this still good to have?

Dumb Question Alert......:confused3
Why would I need to wear this other than running late or very early?
I do carry my cell phone? Is this still good to have?

Basically, if something happens to you, and you can't speak for yourself, your RoadID can speak for you. If for some reason you got heatstroke, or fell, or something like that, a first responder would know your name and your contact information immediately without having to scroll through your cell phone contacts. Also, there's a chance that if you fell or something, that you'd fall ON your phone, rendering it useless to a first responder.

Basically, if something happens to you, and you can't speak for yourself, your RoadID can speak for you. If for some reason you got heatstroke, or fell, or something like that, a first responder would know your name and your contact information immediately without having to scroll through your cell phone contacts. Also, there's a chance that if you fell or something, that you'd fall ON your phone, rendering it useless to a first responder.

Thanks for posting, I never thought of that

I just have a question about getting to the race on race day. If you were to drive yourself how do that work? Where would the buses let you off if you were taking the bus from one of the host resorts?

I am not really thrilled with the choices of the host resorts and will have a rental. Just not sure of how it all works. Thanks!

Well stated.... plus many phones (think crackberry) are password protected. Then with a name starting with W there are 60-70 phone numbers they would need to go through to get to my family. Fianlly, you can place on the ID any med condition that the responders should know.... for me very low pulse.

I just have a question about getting to the race on race day. If you were to drive yourself how do that work? Where would the buses let you off if you were taking the bus from one of the host resorts?

I am not really thrilled with the choices of the host resorts and will have a rental. Just not sure of how it all works. Thanks!

OOPs original post was incorrect. Worng Race

All busses and drivers will go to the Epcot parking lot. Either way would work well. Just need to look at the final race instructions for the time to be in the parking lot. It will be at least an hour earlier than race time to assure the course set up can be completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter