• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

offensive word

Um wow. Apparently some have personal issues they need to overcome. From Dictionary.com

re·tard Audio Help /rɪˈtɑrd, for 1–3, 5; ˈritɑrd for 4/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
–verb (used without object) 2. to be delayed.
–noun 3. a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
4. Slang: Disparaging. a. a mentally retarded person.
b. a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard.

1. Is the litteral meaning of the word. RELAX people. Dont take everything so darn personally.

I can't even explain how that not only the word, that movie, but your post is completely offensive to me and my 2 DS's 9 & 2 who are challenged. I can't even comprehend how or why someone would not understand that that word is wrong to use. The movie in question says the word 16 times IN ONE CLIP and now has made a catch phrase of a line in the movie using that word and put it on a t-shirt, it's something like you never go full retard. The definition on the "B" word is a female dog but i know if someone was to call me it i would take offense and say something back, my kids can't say anything back and the "B" word is the equivalent to the word retard for special needs people. It should not be used at all in any sense especially not to make fun of the special needs. that stoops to a all time low IMO.

I have not seen the movie. But I will because I don't allow strangers to tell me what I should or shouldn't see, or to dictate what I personally should find offensive. I believe in freedom of speech, even if that freedom can be offensive, or something I may not agree with. So even after seeing it, if I think it's a horrible movie, I'd never say it should be banned.

Go see the film and have a good time.

I refuse to hand over my money in support of a film that uses that term, that many times and in that manner. I call it 'voting with my wallet".

It's not a nice word but I don't find it offensive. Kind of like the word SPed, I don't use it but on our bus route (posted online), they call one the "Sped route" Now
that's wrong!!

I have not seen the movie. But I will because I don't allow strangers to tell me what I should or shouldn't see, or to dictate what I personally should find offensive. I believe in freedom of speech, even if that freedom can be offensive, or something I may not agree with. So even after seeing it, if I think it's a horrible movie, I'd never say it should be banned.

Go see the film and have a good time.

I refuse to hand over my money in support of a film that uses that term, that many times and in that manner. I call it 'voting with my wallet".

I can think of MANY words in a standard dictionary with multiple meanings. That doesn't mean within a cultural and social context that it won't offend a certain percentage of the population.

If one is not the kind of person to think about the effects one's choice of words has on others, then I guess there's nothing to be concerned about.

#1 MAY be the literal meaning of the word, but that is not how it is being used in 95% of those conversations. I know it and you know it. (Yes, I made up that statistic, but really--that is NOT how it is being used the majority of the time.)

As for 'not taking it personally,' well, that's difficult. See, if you have ever had to defend a friend or family member against such asinine comments then you would know that it IS personal. If you are the parent or family member of a special needs person, then YOU are their advocate--from the day they are born YOU are the one(s) that have to stand up for them. You have to stand up to the doctors and to the public DAILY--because all you hear is negative. They can't do this, they'll never do that, etc. So, to hear that word used so loosely is insulting, dehumanizing and demoralizing. Oh, and personal.

Thank you! I agree 100%!!

Um wow. Apparently some have personal issues they need to overcome. From Dictionary.com

re·tard Audio Help /rɪˈtɑrd, for 1–3, 5; ˈritɑrd for 4/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
–verb (used without object) 2. to be delayed.
–noun 3. a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
4. Slang: Disparaging. a. a mentally retarded person.
b. a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard.

1. Is the litteral meaning of the word. RELAX people. Dont take everything so darn personally.
If the word was being used with the literal meaning listed as number 1, 2 or even 3, no one would be upset.
But, it's not being used that way. It's being used as meaning number 4.:sad2:
And, none of the definitions under number 4 are exactly nice things.:sad2:
That's why people are complaining.
There are many things ways to create comedy without creating bad feelings.

i hate that word! I work with special needs and it drives me nuts when i hear teachers use it:mad: i feel its so disrespectful

I don't like the word either. I have not seen the movie. I probably will at some point, because my DH wants to watch it.

However, I have read a little bit about it, and it seems that the use of the word seems to be directed at actors who take on the roles of mentally handicapped people in an attempt to further their career, rather than the handicapped themselves. I personally would rather watch it and then decide for myself if I was offended, than be offended because I was told I was supposed to be. Does that make sense?

lilybrooke, from what I have read, it is likely I would agree.

My bigger issue is that other people, especially younger ones, won't grasp the nuances of satire and instead bring the term into vogue, bandying it around in a hurtful manner. The writers and actors may not have meant any harm with it, but that doesn't mean I can't forsee a lot of pain coming from it's use in the film.

I don't want to ban the film or ban the word, but I do want people to understand that, like certain other words, it can hurt. There are so many other words in the English language that can easily be substituted, like obtuse, asinine, ridiculous, hebetudinous, farcical, inane, jejune, fatuous, etc. Some of which convey more meaning than simply retard does.

I don't care about this movie one way or the other but I do have a mentally retarded daughter and I hate when it's used as slang, ie 'you're such a retard'. It's ugly and meant to insult. I find it extremely offensive and I am NOT an overly sensitive person. I also don't feel I'm being overly sensitive if I hear someone make a remark like that and it upsets me. For those who think we are being overly sensitive, answer this......Honestly. If you had a mentally disabled child, relative, friend and heard someone using it in its slang form, especially within hearing range of said child, relative, friend....would you NOT be a least a little upset or offended? Anyone who has any sense of what is right and wrong and DECENT wouldn't use it in its slang form! :mad:

My bigger issue is that other people, especially younger ones, won't grasp the nuances of satire and instead bring the term into vogue, bandying it around in a hurtful manner.

The film isn't rated for younger ones. And, really, it is a word they already know. That doesn't mean I think it should be used at all. Just thinking about your post.

I don't like the word either, but I also don't believe in labeling anyone mentally retarded. I have been taught to use the word mentally challenged. I find it doens't have such a harsh tone and it really comes closer to the true meaning. My opinion.

I also hate when people say that someone is wheelchair bound. Are they really bound to the wheelchair. Sounds so silly. I would say a person who uses a wheelchair.

How about handicaped? Another word that shouldn't be used. Comes from long ago when the poor and disabled would beg for money with their cap in their hand. Disability much nicer word.

#1 MAY be the literal meaning of the word, but that is not how it is being used in 95% of those conversations. I know it and you know it. (Yes, I made up that statistic, but really--that is NOT how it is being used the majority of the time.)

As for 'not taking it personally,' well, that's difficult. See, if you have ever had to defend a friend or family member against such asinine comments then you would know that it IS personal. If you are the parent or family member of a special needs person, then YOU are their advocate--from the day they are born YOU are the one(s) that have to stand up for them. You have to stand up to the doctors and to the public DAILY--because all you hear is negative. They can't do this, they'll never do that, etc. So, to hear that word used so loosely is insulting, dehumanizing and demoralizing. Oh, and personal.

been there done that. My son is Autistic.

Heres the deal, let me lay it all out.

I dont take offense to any word. Not the B, not the C, not even retard. And Alex has been called it many times. hes Aspergers Autistic. High functioning, but still very difficult.

I dont take insult to it, cause I know the REAL meaning of words. AND I know the majority of the population doesnt think before it speaks.

NO I dont have compassion for this topic, cause my thoughts are whatever and let it roll. It takes so much more energy and stress to worry about it and get upset than to say WHATEVER. And giggle silently know that they are a class A MORON.

I'm a teacher, and I hear this word over and over again. If I hear any one of my students use the word, it is an after school detention. We always talk about why the word is hurtful and offensive, and I tell them the consequences if they use the word. I explain to the parents before any detentions are handed out, and they have always supported me. Last year one student had to stay after school, and I never heard the word again from my class. I'm sure some still used it, but hopefully not as many and not as often.

Heres the deal, let me lay it all out.

I dont take offense to any word. Not the B, not the C, not even retard. And Alex has been called it many times. hes Aspergers Autistic. High functioning, but still very difficult.

I dont take insult to it, cause I know the REAL meaning of words. AND I know the majority of the population doesnt think before it speaks.

NO I dont have compassion for this topic, cause my thoughts are whatever and let it roll. It takes so much more energy and stress to worry about it and get upset than to say WHATEVER. And giggle silently know that they are a class A MORON.

You may be able to say whatever, but what about the child who is getting this called to their face in a negative way? Do they deserve this? No way.My nine year old daughter has Down syndrome. She knows people are making fun of her, she does not understand why.I don't understand why.Why do people think it's funny to make other people feel bad is beyond me.
The other issue is it's not just the R word being used once or twice.It's used 16 times in one scene! It's now a slogan posted all over t shirts.It's not just about the word.It's about having respect for people.

Octoberbabiesrus,
I'm curious, do you use the word retard around your son? If so why? Would you like to hear people say "you are such an Ashley" as a put down?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter